homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Cancer SUCKS (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Cancer SUCKS
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evil cancer has taken another friend - a chap whose sister and I were big mates when I still lived at home.

He was only 48. Fuck, fuck, fuckity fuck. [Frown]

--------------------
"It's not so much the toes", said Piglet, "as the ears". A. A. Milne
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 18509 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Arrived back from holiday to find a letter from a friend telling me that her husband had died from bile duct cancer in April, and this was the first time she'd felt able to tell me.

Fuck you cancer, and fuck you again and again.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3492 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And now it's my brother-in-law.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19370 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Add to the list C diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer, married to A for only 20 months. [Mad]

And this in a congregation with at least four other members already undergoing chemo/radiotherapy.

[ 12. July 2014, 20:55: Message edited by: Qoheleth. ]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2500 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now it has claimed Ken. RIP friend. You were far too young.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3438 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
DonLogan2
Shipmate
# 15608

- Posted      Profile for DonLogan2   Email DonLogan2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How cathartic this will be.

I never knew how much I should have appreciated my mother in law until she goes and gets her second and terminal case of bowel cancer. It allows people to say good bye and sort things out, but then it slowly corrupts the body internally and externally.

An awful way to go and I am hopeful that during this time when she was hooked up to the "driver" she had no pain and slowly drifted into God`s hands. Thank you for giving me my lovely wife and in turn my lovely daughter and I`m sorry you had to go so horribly.

Cancer does indeed suck!

--------------------
“I have of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth... "

Posts: 348 | From: the very depths | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For Don, who will never have to deal with cancer again. Sometimes that is just the best thing to be able to say. He will be deeply missed.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2212 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss 9, diagnosed with leukaemia on New Years Day, was helping her dad make chocolate brownies this afternoon. Chief help consisted of licking the beater . She did such a good job of this that I jokingly said it didn't need a wash. She missed the joke completely and told me it had to be washed as she was cytotoxic. From a nineyear old. [Frown]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 8791 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fuck cancer. Found out last week that my uncle's bladder cancer is inoperable. I don't know what this means in terms of prognosis, but it doesn't sound good. Fuck that and fuck his GPs for not acting properly on the symptoms he presented *for years* that were indicative of bladder cancer. Fuck.

--------------------
My new blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 636 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At a funeral yesterday for a lively, lovable young woman who had inoperable lung cancer; metastasised to the brain; never smoked; three small children. Too much anger, too much grief to be able to make sense of this.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 789 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Missing my mom - it's been ten years today - feels like ten minutes. [Votive] for a cure for cancer.

[ 10. September 2014, 13:18: Message edited by: lily pad ]

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2212 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Within the hour, I will be attending the funeral of our oldest son's kindergarten teacher. She died of complications from cancer. Cancer fucking sucks.
Posts: 869 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend and fellow-chorister J. is going into hospital this week for surgery following the diagnosis of thyroid cancer, which is just the most recent in a whole load of lemons thrown at her by Life.

She's a school-teacher and a singer: she needs for her throat to work.

Sodding cancer. [Mad]

--------------------

Posts: 18509 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For 207 families.
Three months.

Fuck you cancer.
Fuck you death.

In our remembering.
In our tears,
in our laughter
and in our living,
you have lost.
Fuck you.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saw a friend on the way home this evening and discovered that a mutual friend who I used to, and she still does, work with, has stage 2 cancer of the fibia. Damn.

Until last week she'd thought it was just her sciatica acting up. [Frown]

--------------------
When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.
Erasmus of Rotterdam

Posts: 641 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aaaaaaauuuuuggggggggggghhhhhhhh!

[Votive]

[Mad]

Please pray for Barbara. This sucks!

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Noted, always noted.
Even when the bones are conflated, noted.

--------------------

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So far this year, cancer has:

• Screwed with the head of the long-term partner of one of our church members, to the extent that even when he heard the prognosis was good, he couldn't accept it and killed himself;
  • Revealed itself to have been masquerading as a bad back for another of our church members, when it fact it was an 18cm tumour;
  • Killed my aunt (just heard this evening).

So fuck you, cancer, and all the horrible, horrible ways you hide yourself and unleash misery.

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 959 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really would like to know what God was thinking when he allowed cancer to come into being.

My sister, who has never so much as looked at a cigarette let alone smoked one, was successfully treated for lung cancer over a year ago, but it has returned and has probably metastasized -- test results still pending. She is 64 years old and so will not qualify for Medicare until next year -- meanwhile she can't quit her job because that will be the end of her health insurance, and she can't afford to go on COBRA.

She is an unwed mother with a 25-year old son who has Asperger's syndrome and has yet to find a job or his place in the world. He is a very bright boy, very handsome, but is totally dependent on her. If anything should happen to her before he can come to terms with himself, I shudder to think of the consequences.

--------------------
"We're not in Wonderland anymore, Alice." – Charles Manson

Posts: 9737 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Molly died of lung cancer although she had never smoked.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 19833 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
storage jars
Apprentice
# 14021

- Posted      Profile for storage jars   Email storage jars   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hmm, yep. Cancer sucks. (oh hello, btw ship of fools, I haven't been here for AGES).

My experience of cancer this year has been "interesting". In March I was given a clean bill by my oncologist after being under surveillance for 9 years following treatment for lymphoma in 2005.

Unfortunately I was back on oncology's books within 2 months when I was diagnosed with a different type of cancer, sarcoma. I think I must've set some sort of record there for bouncing back. Must've missed them too much at oncology? :-P

Anyway, it just seemed to me like yet another example of how ridiculous life can be. I just have to laugh, if somewhat grimly! I'm coping with this by realising that it's a glass half-full situation: I could have died in 2005, yet I'm still here now.

And I can genuinely say I'm not angry at God,
He's not forgotten me, ignored me, laughed nastily at me or told me to get lost. He's still there and has answered prayers throughout this year. I am so grateful for our huge, loving, eternal God. THIS is what gets me through this.

Thanks for listening. God Bless.

Posts: 30 | From: chch, new zealand | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
FUCK, FUCK, FUCKETY FUCKING CANCER. IT'S KILLING MY FRIEND.

(AND THANK YOU, YES, I KNOW I'M SHOUTING)

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so tired of fighting. But I have to keep fighting. No surrender!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 14421 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
please please fight. Wish I could fight with you...

--------------------

Posts: 19370 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You are, you do, LC!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mum has just been diagnosed with cancer. Prognosis is not good.

Fuck it. Fuck it. Fuck it.

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My 81 yo mum too DD. But prognosis good with treatment. [Votive] for you and your mum and fam.

Weird disease. Is it mostly a symptom of living longer? I mean I know younguns get it but that's more unusual isn't it?

Or do we just live in too toxic a world?

Weird.

[ 18. December 2014, 11:05: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9467 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Evensong, having devoted a considerable amount of thought and research to that very question, I would say that cancer has come to the foreground because (a) people are living longer, for a variety of reasons; (b) we have mostly wiped out infectious disease (for the moment - I think we're going to see a major epidemic or two very soon, because we've overused antibiotics, and the ones we're about to need with all the superbugs are not in the pipeline and will not be available); and (c) we've made astonishing progress with heart disease.

But we all have to die of something. Right now, cancer has the advantage. May we keep making progress. (And may someone put some money and muscle into getting those new antibiotics!)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Amen. (I'm on a second round of them as we speak.)

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

As a change from serious discussion:

FUCKITY FUCKITY FUCK FUCK FUCK. [Waterworks]

Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Uncle Pete, having just attended the funeral of a wonderful woman who died 2 goddamn weeks after her cancer diagnosis, I can only say "Ditto".

[Mad] [Waterworks] [Mad]

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1123 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fuck. Just heard cancer has taken the wife and sister of one our church members on the same night, within half an hour of each other.

It can just piss off and... don't really have the words right now. [Mad]

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 959 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Out of a dozen people on a committee at my parish who were tasked with figuring out just what said parish wanted in its next rector two years ago, four of us have had cancer, three of us Stage 3 or higher, and the other one stage 2. Two of us have had it twice in that time; we are now both Stage 4.

I'm bracing myself for the bills - and, of course, it's a new year, so Monday's infusion and appointments will be in my deductible. I'm trying to decide what to sell in order to pay it without going into my retirement savings (just in case I someday need retirement savings).

Cancer sucks harder than a Dyson.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is probably not the place for a rant about the US health care system, and I don't have to tell you, of all people, but my word, that is so wrong. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]
Posts: 24164 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

Rocky Mountain SLAYER
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had that thought as well. Infuriating and dishonourable.
Posts: 14925 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:

I'm bracing myself for the bills - and, of course, it's a new year, so Monday's infusion and appointments will be in my deductible. I'm trying to decide what to sell in order to pay it without going into my retirement savings (just in case I someday need retirement savings).

Cancer sucks harder than a Dyson.

To echo RuthW & RooK, I don't think it's wrong to make a profit from a vacuum cleaner but it's definitely wrong to make a buck out of a deadly illness.

--------------------
If someone takes a shot at President Trump will his bodyguards shout "Donald Duck"?

Posts: 23507 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm remembering my brother-in-law, R., who died aged 56 six years ago today of evil cancer.

Fuck cancer. [Mad]

--------------------

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fuck you cancer.

For J, who had the all clear from kidney cancer last year, but has gone from 'bad cough' to leukaemia diagnosis overnight this week. Self employed, so despite the wonders of the nhs, is going to be financially screwed. Not that it matters, but great, generous, community minded bloke.

He's in the room next door to the one my mum spent six weeks in several years ago; I bloody well hope it's the same positive outcome.

Posts: 3235 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Mad] [Waterworks]
Chris was such a bright spot in the world. She was always helping people, she always had a brilliant smile. Now she's gone because of that evil disease.

Chris turned 53 less than a week before she died.
She suffered terribly. It's so not fair.

It never is, is it?

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17439 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

In memoriam deuce2. Fellow shipmate. My brother. April 28, 1941-December 17, 2008. Never forgotten, always loved.

[Axe murder]

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thinking of Deuce, Pete and you. [Votive]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 9564 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
God bless, Pete. I remember your brother. It was good to have him on board with us for that little while. [Votive]
Posts: 20594 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday we lost a fine minister, strong preacher, and a good friend to many, to cancer. No words to describe this waste; just anger. Please don't try to tell me this was part of God's plan for him or anyone else.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 789 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

My sister's sister-in-law lost both her husband and brother-in-law (his brother) last week to cancer; her own brother (my brother-in-law) died of cancer six years ago, and her son is in remission from it.

I can't begin to imagine how she's feeling at the moment.

Fuck cancer. Just fuck it. [Mad]

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

Mum is really crook.
I do end of life conversations daily.
But not in my family dammit.

--------------------

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lost a uni friend of my brother's on Friday, in her mid thirties.

Someone so beautiful and fun did not deserve all that pain, no-one deserves that.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1182 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!
Posts: 17203 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Fuckety fuck fuck fuck.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

My cousin, Bill, one of the few close to me in age: diagnosed with myeloma.

How often can you say FUCK?

FUCK to the power of 100 is not enough

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016