homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Cancer SUCKS (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Cancer SUCKS
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not disregarding that this is Hell, but I believe that Firenze is right. I speak from plenty of family experience, tha latest of which is Miss M, my young granddaughter. Hit it hard and often is medical policy here, and deal with the consequences as they arise.

Firenze is also right with her estimation of support, even knowing others are there.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9003 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
I am not disregarding that this is Hell, but I believe that Firenze is right. I speak from plenty of family experience, tha latest of which is Miss M, my young granddaughter. Hit it hard and often is medical policy here, and deal with the consequences as they arise.

Firenze is also right with her estimation of support, even knowing others are there.

Difficult territory with no easy answers and definitely no advice. Enough to say that the treatment can take you to another hell beyond the cancer. The friends and the hand-holding are the strongest grip you can have on life while this is happening.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 809 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Baker
Shipmate
# 18458

- Posted      Profile for Baker   Email Baker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just found this thread.

It's been not quite a year since my mother went to the ER with a bowel obstruction that required surgery. Lots of body scans.

It was discovered she had a patch on her lung and spots on her spleen. Two different cancers! The lung was treated with radiation and seems to have been halted. The spleen was nastier, lymphoma which can be sneaky. So the spleen was taken and Mom had three seesions of chemotherapy.

No recurrence so far. I'm greatful that it was caught so early, that gives us hope. Mom is depressed that most of her hair was lost, but the falling out has stopped and now the places that were patchy seems to have "haired over"

Mom is almost eighty four and doesn't want much more aggressive treatment, so I hope that sucky cancer doesn't recur.

Her own mother was a breast cancer survivor, having a mastectomy at the age of ninety-one, and living to just short of one hundred and eight years old. Good genes there.

--------------------
Ad astra per aspera

Posts: 86 | From: Tottering-on-the-Brink | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm fucked up at the moment dealing with my sister's news. Her CA-125 has gone up several points, which AFAIK means cancer recurrence--this when they never got the fucker down to single digits with chemo like they expected to in the first place. She has had a repeat scan which looks good, but of course won't catch microscopic metastases, if any are out there (as the fucking CA-125 suggests).

She has been avoiding researching her cancer, not wanting to freak out, but now she's getting contradicting messages from her doctor and nurse and therapist, and earnest exhortations from mother to "get out there and do something, get a second opinion, join a clinical trial, do something!" which she is not in any emotional shape to handle.

I mentioned she might as well use me, as the PhD at least taught me how to do research, and it's no good keeping a dog and barking yourself. So she's sent me a bunch of paperwork and it turns out to be about the worst kind of ovarian cancer there is--aggressive, fast-moving, resistant, and nasty-sneaky about metastasis.

Basically everything's wide open now--she could conceivably be cured, or she could be in for a long haul, or ... not.

And fuck all this. She's the girl who did everything right--no risk factors whatsoever, squeaky clean health, no genetics, way too young, why the fuck? While I sit here, older than she is, with a moderate collection of risk factors, apparently cancer free.

This is so fucked up.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19651 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish my siblings had geographical/physical/emotional capacity to help me with my parents.

And every day I see carers who care so much better than I can.

Fuck cancer.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LC. Patdys. Lord.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 15826 | From: More Corieltauvi than Dobunni now. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today, cancer succeeded in sucking the life out of Toronto's memorably crazy former mayor, Rob Ford. He was only 46. I wonder how history will judge him? Crazy, I think, but not evil.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 809 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found out that 2 fairly close friends died of cancer along with another acquaintance. These were really good people - the kind that make the world worth living in. Fuck cancer to Hell!

--------------------
"The Puritan's idea of hell is a place where everybody has to mind his own business." ~ Wendell Phillips, attributed

Posts: 2424 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
earrings
Shipmate
# 13306

- Posted      Profile for earrings   Email earrings   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was going through breast cancer treatment last year I knew 8 people who were at a similar stage. That's not people I met through the treatment. Stats in Britain are something like 55,000 women and over 300 men diagnosed each year (and the male figure is rising year on year). Although for many, and I hope for me, having had everything thrown at me, breast cancer is not the worst to have, the levels are shocking.

--------------------
My blog musings on all sorts of stuff https://priscillavicar.wordpress.com/

Posts: 135 | From: West Midlands | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I Was told an account just yesterday of someone known who had breast cancer which ended up terminal. The stats are truly awful and the way it takes folks is effing horrible. Those on this roller coaster and those doing the caring deserve a bloody medal.

What can be said other than prayers in heaven for improvements in treatment, and curses in Hell for the existence of this wretched thing.

[ 31. March 2016, 10:34: Message edited by: rolyn ]

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 2936 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

- Posted      Profile for mertide   Email mertide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brother-in-law's funeral yesterday, died much too young from prostate cancer, leaving a young family. Damn it.
Posts: 382 | From: Brisbane | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fuck you cancer. Just heard that J has died. Early fifties, leukaemia, over a year of treatment,

One of life's genuinely good guys.

Fuck fuck fuckity fuck fuck.

Posts: 3235 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
FUCK YOU cancer for now taking my friend's female inner parts and making her go thru radiation and fear...along with her loved ones and family.

This is for B...

FUCK YOU!!!

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11195 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mum told me on Sunday that Dad's older brother has bladder cancer (may be gall bladder, my brain was a little frazzled that day). Already had the surgery, now on heavy chemo and radiotherapy, since it was a rather aggressive one.

Good side is, the longest wait he's had in all this was the week to get the GP appointment that started it all rolling! Bad side is, this is on top of his wife dying last summer. Plus both my paternal grandparents died of cancer, as did one of Dad's sisters, so it just feels a bit AARRGGHH right now. [Mad]

--------------------
When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.
Erasmus of Rotterdam

Posts: 648 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
RooK

Rocky Mountain SLAYER
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're taking the Tragically Hip?!?!

FUCK
YOU

Posts: 15003 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Totally! [Mad]

Kind of impressive that they are doing a farewell tour in response.

[ 30. May 2016, 15:00: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
"Take your broken heart, make it into art"-- Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

Posts: 35015 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if this has been said - in case it hasn't......

Every man has a (roughly) one in eight chance of prostate cancer; unless his father or brother has been so diagnosed in which case it becomes two in eight. If two such kin are sufferers the chance is five in eight - 6-4 on!

My son and my nephews have been advised to have annual PSA checks from age 45. Unfortunately not the best of tools but apparently all there currently is. Sometimes there are no symptoms (nor abnormal PSA scores) until stage 4 but checking is still the only sensible option.

A year ago the chair of a committee fostering high-quality education in the county was diagnosed with a cancer which kills 95% of sufferers within twelve months of diagnosis. A dedicated, caring and highly-respected person, a wife, a full-time teacher and a parent to two teenagers.

A couple of weeks ago I thrice in half-an-hour observed a lady sobbing in the hospital coffee-shop. Subsequently she was leafing through Macmillan leaflets: as no-one else was around I spoke to her - turned out she had a mastectomy two years ago and went through the horrors of chemotherapy. That day she'd been in for an Ultrasound scan to determine if a shadow was simply an infection; the outcome was an appointment for a CT scan the next day! She wasn't too concerned about explaining the situation to her fourteen year old daughter, she was having difficulty composing herself so that she could pick up her five year old son from school. She's thirty-seven and had been "clear" long enough for the cruel deception of hope to make her even more emotionally vulnerable.

Yes cancer SUCKS, but it isn't capable of wickedness - that requires sentience. Allowing evil to happen to others when one can prevent it - that's wicked. I cannot work out why intelligent people persist in pretending that being a god magically absolves an (almost certainly) imaginary being from being the repugnant, repulsive puppet-master that is exposed by its behaviour.

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I get Fuck cancer.
I get Fuck God for cancer.
I get (sort of) Fuck theodicy.
I do not get Fuck people's spirituality. It is part of their being, their intactness. I see a lot of death from cancer. I wouldn't underestimate the value of spirituality*.

*Spirituality may or may not correspond with religion.

And I am over cancer. Too many, too young, too incessant.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HughWillRidmee:
I cannot work out why intelligent people persist in pretending that being a god magically absolves an (almost certainly) imaginary being from being the repugnant, repulsive puppet-master that is exposed by its behaviour.

We aren't pretending. We really believe in a good God, just as surely as we believe in damn horrible fucking EVIL cancer. (Why yes, I've had three cases among my immediate family this year, thank you, and three-four more among others I love. This isn't theoretical for me.)

If you think there is a God, then you can yell at him. If you think there is no God, then you can get on with whatever works for you. But it makes no sense to try to blame what you consider a non-existent being for evil behavior--and then to blame those who trust in this supposedly nonexistent being for their faith.

How is it hurting you? Why tell us we are pretending, and blame us for it to boot? If we actually WERE pretending, it would be so much easier to give up the paradoxical question of WHY and just settle into atheism. But we can't. Because we aren't pretending. It's real. And we're stuck with the conflict. Sucks to be us, right?

So why make things worse?

--------------------

Posts: 19651 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
quote:
I cannot work out why intelligent people persist in pretending that being a god magically absolves an (almost certainly) imaginary being from being the repugnant, repulsive puppet-master that is exposed by its behaviour.

We aren't pretending. We really believe in a good God, just as surely as we believe in damn horrible fucking EVIL cancer. (Why yes, I've had three cases among my immediate family this year, thank you, and three-four more among others I love. This isn't theoretical for me.)

If you think there is a God, then you can yell at him. If you think there is no God, then you can get on with whatever works for you. But it makes no sense to try to blame what you consider a non-existent being for evil behavior--and then to blame those who trust in this supposedly nonexistent being for their faith.

How is it hurting you? Why tell us we are pretending, and blame us for it to boot? If we actually WERE pretending, it would be so much easier to give up the paradoxical question of WHY and just settle into atheism. But we can't. Because we aren't pretending. It's real. And we're stuck with the conflict. Sucks to be us, right?

So why make things worse?

Preamble

Firstly – I’ve been away and first read this a couple of days ago. I slept on it before starting to reply. (my brain seems to work better when I let it get on with the thinking rather than trying to direct it).

Secondly – I wasn’t seeking to be offensive – just as you believe in a good god I believe that people who do so are usually pretending (making a claim which is untrue). I did not, and would not, mean to imply that this is (generally) a conscious deception. I know many people, including close family, who clearly and undoubtedly genuinely believe that there is a loving, caring and good god – and more, many think (they say “know”) that they have a “personal relationship” with this deity.

Thirdly – Although this is not the first draft it is probably not exactly what I mean it to be – I think (hope?) it may be possible to improve it by exposing my thoughts to critical assessment.

If you think there is a God, then you can yell at him Venting can be helpful in releasing tension – I don’t think you need to have a concept of god(s) to do so.

But it makes no sense to try to blame what you consider a non-existent being for evil behavior--and then to blame those who trust in this supposedly nonexistent being for their faith. Blame? – from whence cometh blame? I am, for a reason, unable to understand something that other people do, that’s all.

I am not blaming god – it seems to me that those who believe in him must accept that he is, actively and/or passively, accountable for everything that happens – at least if they believe in a god who a) started everything and b) knew how it was going to play out before he started it.

Since I don’t believe in him the most I can say is that, were such a god to exist, it would be demonstrating qualities which don’t equal “good” in my understanding of the word.

If you knew that I caused my partner physical and/or emotional pain (or allowed others to do so even though I could prevent it), if you knew that I allowed situations to occur where harming her was inevitable and if you knew that I could make her life so much better than it is (like cure her arthritis) but refused to do so – would you consider me to be “good”? Even if I told you that I love her, that I wanted to share eternity with her and that I’m incapable of doing wrong – would you believe me? Would you really think me “good”?

But you believe that your god is “good”.

I fail to understand how that is possible. Not the “good” – the “believe”!

I know some people can compartmentalise conflicting elements of their life in order to avoid the consequences of cognitive dissonance – I don’t seem able to do so. Is that what it takes?

I, frankly, don’t understand how you think that I’m blaming believers for anything. I’m admitting to a lack of understanding, I’m perplexed. I think that there is an unbridgeable gulf between such belief and what I see around me. If someone can bridge that gap – great; so far all I’ve ever been offered is, in differing guises, that I’m not capable of understanding so I shouldn’t try. Actually that’s where I am, I’m not capable and I’ve stopped trying – because I came to what, to me, is the only possible rational outcome – non-belief in the existence of a logically impossible being.

How is it hurting you? Belief in things that are needless, without foundation and rationally impossible harms us all. It harms the individual, it harms the individual’s family, it harms the individual’s friends, their acquaintances, their immediate social environment, humanity and the universe. (Ask and I’ll offer justification for each of those claims). Such belief also exposes human beings to mismanagement by those who will use our evolutionarily developed frailties to make us dependant, to steal our time, our emotions, our effort and our money and to control the many for the benefit of the few. Yes, I accept that superstitious belief is not the only way this happens – but two wrongs never made a right did they?

Why tell us we are pretending, and blame us for it to boot? If we actually WERE pretending, it would be so much easier to give up the paradoxical question of WHY and just settle into atheism. But we can't. Because we aren't pretending. It's real. And we're stuck with the conflict. Why, because I think you are pretending – not deliberately but pretending none-the-less. We know that the human brain survives by telling us(itself) stories which we think are real, memory is a story hung on a few “bullet points”; we maintain our sanity by using techniques such as confirmation bias to avoid facing reality/the pain of cognitive dissonance and therefore further embed our preconceived preferences.

Once we have an investment in an idea, as with a person or a business venture, we, as all successful con-men know, naturally seek support for it and ignore that which disagrees with our preferred version of reality. Religion is learned, based on our inherited survival traits; it suborns behaviour developed as a protection and turns it to work against us – rather like the war-time double agent or, perhaps more appropriate to this thread, the hi-jacking of necessary and normally beneficial cell-division processes which then lead to cancer.

I’m not sure what you mean is “real”. Your belief perhaps? – but belief is, by definition, not real - it’s belief. We believe that we are in love with someone, we are convinced, we have no doubt, we tell everyone who will listen that we have found our one-true-love; and then a traumatic event occurs and we realise that the person we loved is not the person we loved. That we loved an image (aka a pretence) which, jointly, we had crafted to satisfy our emotional needs and that the real person was not capable of matching the fantasy figure we had so totally invested in. There are grounds for suggesting that religious devotion is akin to romantic love.

I suspect that religious conviction is due to our natural (for the majority at least) desire to give and receive love being re(mis?)directed to a fantasy figure which will (can?) never let us down. A figure whose characteristics are so malleable that it fits our deepest needs. As we become ever more invested, we are more and more prepared (not prepared perhaps – more like subconsciously able to submit to the need to?) to compromise our critical thought process in order to maintain the imagined worth of our investment.

Yes – the investment is real – that doesn’t mean the concept in which we invest is though – does it?

Sucks to be us, right? Yup. I dealt with it by jumping down off the fence – I appreciate that it is not easy and that the tendrils of the indoctrination that I received as a child are insidious. Even now in my dotage the consequences of my upbringing sometimes have a malevolent influence on me and those I associate with. Fortunately my home was sufficiently fundamental that the inconsistencies were plain to me even in my early teens, but I’ve a sibling (better educated, better qualified than I) who is still entrapped by the nonsense we were force-fed.

So why make things worse? The implication is that by stating that I think religious belief requires pretence I somehow made things worse for those affected by cancer?

Worse for who? – the cancer sufferer who may, in extremis, be tempted to forgo scientific processes and rely on prayer? How can anything make the “There’s good news and there’s bad news” (been there) better? The friends and family who are suffering and whose cognitive dissonance adds to the distress already felt?

I know that people can get temporary relief from the belief that ”we’ll all meet up in heaven” etc. but that is only because they have been frightened into submission by the irrational, illogical and unsupported ideas of god(s)/heaven/hell/sin/redemption. Remove the fear and death becomes a comfort, a natural passage into non-existence outside memory and imagery. Why continue the error when removing it would be so much better – we could provide people with a broken leg a lifetime supply of wheelchairs but usually we try to mend the leg.

I know how it feels within the bubble - I was there once – a long time ago; for me the view from outside is liberating, is truly awesome and is a heck of a lot more fun. I’d like for everybody to experience the personal freedom (and yes – the responsibility also) that comes from stepping through the wall of the bubble – encouraging those inside to remain trapped would be immoral wouldn’t it?

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...

nickel
Shipmate
# 8363

- Posted      Profile for nickel   Email nickel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am expecting to hear bad news from a dear sister -- her lab report is expected no later than Tuesday. From the symptoms she's shared there's not much hope it's anything but an aggressive cancer. So spending a last day or two praying for a good lab report, but expecting to need a "fuck cancer!" card. If not Hallmark, maybe Etsy? Damn x3 at least.
Posts: 542 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Landlubber
Shipmate
# 11055

- Posted      Profile for Landlubber   Email Landlubber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nickel and sister [Votive] for you during the waiting (which might need a place of its own in hell)

--------------------
They that go down to the sea in ships … reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man

Posts: 367 | From: On dry land | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

quote:
Originally posted by nickel:
I am expecting to hear bad news from a dear sister -- her lab report is expected no later than Tuesday. From the symptoms she's shared there's not much hope it's anything but an aggressive cancer. So spending a last day or two praying for a good lab report, but expecting to need a "fuck cancer!" card. If not Hallmark, maybe Etsy? Damn x3 at least.

My best wishes to your sister and all who will be affected if the outcome is not good.

--------------------

nickel
Shipmate
# 8363

- Posted      Profile for nickel   Email nickel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you. No word yet. (tiptoes out of hell for a while at least.)
Posts: 542 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Hughwillridmee, why are you insisting on dropping this cowpie in the middle of a thread focusing on cancer? We've had the "God is a jerk" discussion a zillion times both in Purg and in Hell; and we've had "believers are idiots" just as often. Go start your thread there. Don't hijack this one.

--------------------

HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Hughwillridmee, why are you insisting on dropping this cowpie in the middle of a thread focusing on cancer? We've had the "God is a jerk" discussion a zillion times both in Purg and in Hell; and we've had "believers are idiots" just as often. Go start your thread there. Don't hijack this one.

The way I see it is that I made a statement relating to cancer - one that appears to have been helpful to at least one shippie (via PM) - and in so doing expressed a personal lack of comprehension. I did so strongly - cancer is not something that I am able to be sanguine about, mine or anyone else's. I would have been happy for some enlightenment, either here, in another thread or by PM. As far as I'm aware this has not happened.

You, however, responded as though I had been deliberately offensive - you suggested that I was seeking to blame a god I don't think exists and also to blame those who believe it does. No justification for your stance - just accusation. In addition to reacting to the implication that I'm daft enough to blame a probably fictional character, for anything, I have learnt that if I don't refute false statements they become set in stone. "You didn't deny so it must be true". (And no, it's not your fault I spent over twenty years married to a narcissistic psychopath but, like a religious upbringing, it leaves its mark). You got the, fairly gentle, refutation you, IMO, deserved.

You then asked questions of me - perhaps that's not a good idea if you don't want answers?

Apparently you didn't like the way I responded to your post. Fine. Can't say I thought yours was overly helpful. Do you think that ignoring my explanations and suggesting that by responding to you I'm trying to hi-jack the thread is appropriate? Just for the record - if you read my post I make it clear that I don't think "believers are idiots" (I cannot work out why intelligent people persist....) - I'm seriously interested in why intelligent people believe things that, to me, are irrational - after all it could be me that's wrong. I understand that you don't want to/can't enlighten me but straw men are necessary?

I read your instructions, I'll leave my reaction unpublished.

PS Despite a stage 4 cancer diagnosis I'm still 6' 1" and 180lbs. I have never had to get into the habit of acquiescing to being bullied and doubt that I ever will.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Oh fuck this. You said we "pretend" when we believe. Pretending (despite your later waffling) is a conscious act, and is therefore here a species of deceit, which is an insult. If you withdraw the word and substitute "self-delude," it is still rather insulting, in that case to our intelligence. There. Is that enough answer for you?

--------------------

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm seriously interested in why intelligent people believe things that, to me, are irrational - after all it could be me that's wrong.

Getting the feeling that your belief in the statement 'it could be me that's wrong' is not entirely sincere.

And why interested only in what 'intelligent' people believe? By whose classification is 'intelligent' being defined? And are the 'unintelligent' (eg, those of a lower IQ) of less worth in terms of their value judgements and articles of faith/non-faith?

Don't get me wrong. I share some of your questioning. Many people of faith express exactly the same doubts and conflicts. Many people lose their faith because of experiences with illness. In fact, I'd go so far to say that 'intelligent' people of faith ought to be severely tested in their belief in a good God by such things, if they have any depth to their faith at all.

But I do smell the farty hint of an 'if you're supposed to be so smart how come you're stupid enough to believe in obvious crap' seeping out of some of the corners of your post. Having serious and conscientious efforts at holding one's life together in the face of the death of loved ones labelled as 'usually pretending' and then qualifying this with the further comment that believers are even too stupid to know they're pretending to themselves is just all kinds of wrong.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 9861 | From: The Wee North | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

I've started a new thread so we can focus on cancer here.

For the 6 year old girl with whom I shared jokes, who can no longer hug her mum. And the four weeks of daily sitting and struggling with pain, physical and existential.
For the parents, 60, 70, 80 years old who have sat with their children and watched them die.
For the 33 certificates this month.

Fuck you cancer. [Votive]

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I looked at this thread with trepidation. My wife has been diagnosed with incurable cancer.

They can treat and control it but not cure it.

We are one of many. So many.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 14903 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hate those bastards.

They can take the future, but they can't take now.

Posts: 17215 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gamaliel, I'm very sorry to hear about your wife.

I really hate cancer. Far too much of it in my family.

[ 10. August 2016, 00:07: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6118 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well , that does suck. My best wishes to you both.

--------------------
Improbable Botany

Posts: 8362 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
I looked at this thread with trepidation. My wife has been diagnosed with incurable cancer.

Gamaliel, I am so sorry. May it go well.
Posts: 20649 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

Ah, shit.
Come and rail with us.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, for real. [Frown] [Votive]

--------------------
"Take your broken heart, make it into art"-- Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

Posts: 35015 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

quote:

But you have every right to curse and swear and yell at it - it deserves it. Remember (quoted from an earlier thread):

Cancer is so limited that:

It cannot cripple love
It cannot shatter hope
It cannot corrode faith
It cannot destroy peace
It cannot kill friendship
It cannot suppress memories
It cannot silence courage
It cannot invade the soul
It cannot steal eternal life
It cannot conquer the spirit

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very sorry to hear that Gamaliel. Prayers for you and your wife.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 11968 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gamaliel, nothing that I can say can plumb the depths of sorrow, but prayers for you both and your family [Votive]
Posts: 2051 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mate.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 15826 | From: More Corieltauvi than Dobunni now. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:

Cancer is so limited that:

It cannot cripple love
It cannot shatter hope
It cannot corrode faith
It cannot destroy peace
It cannot kill friendship
It cannot suppress memories
It cannot silence courage
It cannot invade the soul
It cannot steal eternal life
It cannot conquer the spirit

Preach it Brother.

Gamaliel...... What Martin said.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 2936 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks folks.

It means a lot.

Firenze, can I steal your quote?⁴&

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 14903 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gamaliel, may the treatment and control of your wife's symptoms grant you years of happy life together yet.

Prayers for your whole family.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2010 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thanks folks.

It means a lot.

Firenze, can I steal your quote?⁴&

Gladly. It is one crash course in mindfulness.
Posts: 17215 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So sorry about your wife, Gamaliel.
Landlubber
Shipmate
# 11055

- Posted      Profile for Landlubber   Email Landlubber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for the whole Gamaliel family.

Gamaliel, if needed, may howling or swearing here give you the strength to go back to do everything you need to do.

--------------------
They that go down to the sea in ships … reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man

Posts: 367 | From: On dry land | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] [Votive] for your wife and for you, Gamaliel.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2295 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Well my friends. I'm having a scare [Smile] And my blood pressure may reveal the all clear at the autopsy!

First thing tomorrow THE EXAMINATION! Not for the first time. Talk of cameras in IMPOSSIBLE places.

And when I say scare, I am almost paralysed with fear [Smile] Not enough to stop me typing unfortunately.

One day at a time and all that. With theory meeting reality. Fascinating!

Night, night.

--------------------
Love wins

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

Praying that you can sleep, Martin, and that all goes well tomorrow.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2295 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They can use extra Vaseline if you ask nicely... good luck, old man.

--------------------
Improbable Botany

Posts: 8362 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016