homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Cancer SUCKS (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Cancer SUCKS
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sux Martin. Hope it goes well for you.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 9958 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks guys. 95% reassuring but still jittery after a night from this place. The BP down, heartrate & O2 normal. Bloods & pee taken.

THE DRE!!!!!

My 2nd. The 1st was about 6 years ago. I had to bite my lip as afterwards the very good looking male doctor said something positive (... not that) and I wanted to say 'Oooooh doctor, you say the nicest things.'. He looked a tad old school. Not like Andre Romelle Young. Mentioned it to my counsellor who was relieved I hadn't.

Keep taking the antibiotics. Results in a week and camera work to follow even if inconclusive.

So I won't die today. Of whatever it is. Most likely nothing apparently. Rarely inoperable bladder cancer, I was told with a smile when I said I assumed that, being the worst case.

The joys eh?

One day I'll be right.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 16329 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Winners' Dinner last night in that all of us have either survived/ are surviving with cancer. But melancholy in speaking of all our contemporaries who have not, or look unlikely to.

I THAT in heill was and gladnèss
Am trublit now with great sickness
And feblit with infirmitie:—
Timor Mortis conturbat me

Posts: 17228 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firenze [Votive]

I talked to God a lot through the night, including surreally in an open manner - I try to do adult-adult, interspersed with the Jesus prayer! Being grateful, seeking courage, deciding on I'd rather be more briefly comfortable than less briefly uncomfortable, whittled away if it comes to it - telling Him that I feel like I believe in Him, that the Jesus story works, but I have no confidence at all in the resurrection, in my threatened existence being more real than this.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 16329 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin60 and Firenze [Votive] [Votive] plus scream and rant!
Posts: 2164 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bugger ... (perhaps not the right word when we're talking about insertions ...) but I am sorry to hear this Martin60.

I've got to go for a standard check-up now I'm gone 55 to check that I haven't got bowel cancer and the prospect doesn't fill me with glee. I hate medical appointments at the best of times and tend to faint at needles and tubes.

I hope I'm in the clear, though, I wouldn't want us to become Cancer Couple, even if it would provide even closer solidarity with Mrs Gamaliel as she undergoes chemo.

Her hair's beginning to fall out now and she can get depressed and - understandably - very upset. The Gamalielettes continue to be a source of joy and strength and they've been helping their mother choose wigs and chemo hats. [Tear]

Yes, it's grim, but I haven't felt the need to shout and holler down here yet. That may yet come ...

[Frown]

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15392 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
I've got to go for a standard check-up now I'm gone 55 to check that I haven't got bowel cancer and the prospect doesn't fill me with glee. I hate medical appointments at the best of times and tend to faint at needles and tubes.

Mr Nen and I both had this last year. It was my second one as I got the wind up, so to speak, when my brother was diagnosed with bowel cancer seven years ago. I found both experiences excruciating but Mr Nen sailed through his without even any gas and air and apparently most people do. There are no needles involved and you don't see the tube.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Mrs G, and with Martin and others here. Sorry to be so un-Hellish.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, that's reassuring.

I think the idea on this thread is that we give cancer Hell, rather than one another.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15392 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Thanks guys. 95% reassuring but still jittery after a night from this place. The BP down, heartrate & O2 normal. Bloods & pee taken.

THE DRE!!!!!

My 2nd. The 1st was about 6 years ago. I had to bite my lip as afterwards the very good looking male doctor said something positive (... not that) and I wanted to say 'Oooooh doctor, you say the nicest things.'. He looked a tad old school. Not like Andre Romelle Young. Mentioned it to my counsellor who was relieved I hadn't.

Keep taking the antibiotics. Results in a week and camera work to follow even if inconclusive.

So I won't die today. Of whatever it is. Most likely nothing apparently. Rarely inoperable bladder cancer, I was told with a smile when I said I assumed that, being the worst case.

The joys eh?

One day I'll be right.

I've always found that the role of Job's Comforter comes naturally to me... The camera is one of life's special joys, but if there are doubts that you can convince them of, you might try asking for a paediatric instrument. I found this out after an experience with a catheter that could have been a mediaeval instrument of torture. I swear the evil nurse stole if from a horse doctor. You'd probably enjoy the rest of the story too, but I'd be banned for it.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 845 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Ok, that's reassuring.

I think the idea on this thread is that we give cancer Hell, rather than one another.

Indeed.

You know what they call a long black flexible tube with an arsehole at each end?

A colonoscope.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Well. Slightly elevated PSA. Therefore a referral in a month. To check for prostate and bladder cancer. Back to numbering my days again [Smile] It'll have been the booze and fags.

A week ago last night, Sunday, what came in to relief (what a cruel word!) for me is that I have faith in God, but not in the resurrection. Which is absurd I know. So I prayed about it just now, which I rarely do on my knees, eyes closed, but hey, the anxiety is high. A few tears in the shower before. What do we do about my 86 year old mother who lives with us? My poor wife is a head teacher with years to go. I'm the carer. If I'm gone in a year or so, she would have to give up her job to deal with my deteriorated mother. Loss upon loss in parallel with loss.

What to pray for? The sure and certain hope of the resurrection. Not for magic. But even that ... seems unreasonable, to ask for the peace that passes understanding along with all my fears and anxiety, when so many don't have that option.

To ask for the headspace of faith, the confidence of faith, the courage of faith.

Does anybody mind my sharing this here? I always thought that I would.

I went to bed bemused by evil, Evil rather, the demonic realm, Satan the Devil. That that is all so integral to Jesus' story, the gospel, including Jesus' post-resurrection discourse. Yet it is so unreal to us now. As is the afterlife. As are all claims to me but the minimal, deconstructed, postmodernized ones of Jesus.

And yet ...

I had a particularly lurid night of dreams in which I felt hypnopompically complicit. No, I don't put that down to transpersonal evil, but it's all in the strange turbulent stream of life. As the three days of bleeding had stopped after last Tuesday, half way through the antibiotics, I was far less anxious. Then after the night of bad dreams in which I was bad and a phone call from the doctor the anxiety is fired up.

And all the anecdotal evidence (there is more; how can I put it, a strong, intimate correlation) and elevated PSA has coalesced to sit in my gut, as it may well for the rest of my days [Smile]

Thanks guys.

--------------------
Love wins

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Martin.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2414 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin, I so feel for you right now. May the Holy Spirit be at your side as you walk this path.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5800 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin. Nothing I can say, but [Votive] [Tear] [Votive]
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin, you aren't in miracle-needing-territory here. The odds are still good. I'll pray too though.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

You guys are AWESOME. Thank you for letting me wimp out here. I can't with my family obviously.

--------------------
Love wins

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
{{{{{{{{Everyone}}}}}}}}

Re colonoscopies: I've had one. IME, the prep (cleaning-out process, over several days.) was much worse than the procedure. They put me completely out. I'd met the doc previously and trusted her, and we'd talked over various concerns I had. She took my concerns seriously, which helped a lot.

Around here, they won't let you go home on your own, not even in a cab. If you don't have someone you know who can pick you up and take you home, sometimes there's a medical ride service available, for which there's a charge. Sometimes, the doctor's office can arrange a discount.

FWIW, YMMV.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17546 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have had colonoscopies every 5 years for the last 15 years. The preparation system cleanout is still the worst part, but now definitely more palatable (sic).

Praying that things go well for you Martin60.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2574 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin - fight the good fight; also the other one. We are with you. Three years ago I was on a similar trip and vented here a quite a few times among people who didn't know me - one or two, perhaps - but who could just be be part of what felt like a safety net. The dreams and hallucinations under extreme stress seem to be part of the package: I don't know any antidote to them except perhaps to occupy the mind by keeping as busy as possible - not always easy. I had some unlucky medication interactions that might have been partly to blame, so that's something to look out for.

I still don't believe that prayer on its own makes cancer or anything else go away, but I do know with certainty that it helps you gather the strength to deal with it, and it gathers the people to help you do that [Votive]

Colonoscopies... I've just had my sixth. Anyone done better than that? That's something that has improved a lot since the old BOHICA procedure.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 845 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin60

Gosh, that's very tough. Those are the two cancers I've seen here at home. I hope and pray things will work out well for you and your family.

Posts: 6306 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Well, the urgent referral came today, for scan, X-ray and CAMERA UP THE WILLY!!! A week today.

My anxiety levels went ape, just less than a raving ab-dab. Cried in the shower. A bit like the 8 second meltdown the doctor allows himself in Lost. Talked to God because I know He'll understand ... Posted on Kerg. Theology that ends with Jesus' ascension just don't work no more! But I filled the forms in and just finished making my observations, which I started before going walkies and interacting with my excellent Muslim neighbours, The Ahmeds at Number 7. Met two Triangle friends in the park, one a frail alcoholic church volunteer and the other a robust guest. That all got me out of myself.

And finishing off my layman's clinical observations and correlations to the conclusion that I reckon I have prostate cancer at least has left me quite positive here! Feeling quite chipper. It's most weird. Monday-Tuesday, after the shock of the PSA reading, I calmed down quickly too. I had to keep telling myself 'You are dying you know!'. I'll be able to keep it from the missus until Saturday night ... Let the reader understand. I might just have to man up and NOT tell her. Know what I mean?

If anyone wants to get Hellish with my self indulgence here, please do. Really.

Off to get some super glue and clock up another 6K paces to my 10K a day minimum. Only 8K yesterday, but I did paint the shed. Ruined a pair of shorts and a nice blue T-shirt. Ijit. And broke the wife's Russell Hobbes slow cooker pot and lid by using it as a weight on the George Foreman Lean Mean Grillin' Machine. Ordered the bits. Do they do prostates? Averaging 12K a day this month.

I haven't been this fit for years! My weight is at its lowest for at least four. And that's not due to cancer. That may change [Smile] And I did smile there. One must. I won't be smiling next Wednesday morning that's for sure!

The real blow is what do we watch now that we've watched all four seasons of Homeland on Netflix?

Top of my bucket list: next summer walk up the Rio Chillar from Nerja to Frigiliana. If I'm spared that long, I will. And to top that, I want to climb Gran Sasso after peeing in Il Duce's toilet.

--------------------
Love wins

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin - camera up the willy is NOTHING. Just ask for valium and shut your eyes is what I do. It certainly isn't as uncomfortable as a catheter

All the best. The fact that they are doing it stat is a good thing. The longer you wait the worse it gets.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Settle yourself. Cameras up the chimney and willy are pretty common. Had 'em both. I still pee standing up. And even if it's the BIG C, they don't do much for prostate anyway. Get yourself from green tea or some other recommended vile liquids after. The most they do is carve a bigger channel for urine to freely flow such that you get up less frequently to pee at night, or perhaps kill the prostate off by giving you hormones, or planting little radioactive seeds in the stupid thing. But most of the time it is "watchful waiting", which means they have probed your junk and then they declare "nothing to see here folks, move on home".

I have no idea of the situation where you live, but urologists aren't busy enough here (the one speciality with quite enough consultants) and it seems they haven't pulled on a dingle-berry they haven't wanted to rotor-route out.

I recommend that when they offer you the drugs for the procedure, you request a double. It's always good to ask if beer is an acceptable part of the liquid diet before hand.

X-posted with Pete. I like fentanyl myself, as a surgical drug it's the best.

[ 14. September 2016, 16:42: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

--------------------
Maybe I should stop to consider that I'm not worthy of an epiphany and just take what life has to offer
(formerly was just "no prophet") \_(ツ)_/

Posts: 10737 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Ah Hell, I was just out clocking up 12K and planning Ward's Stone for October with muh boys.

Now you're telling me I'll see Xmas?

I didn't take drugs for the camera darn uh frote. I wish I bloody had.

A double Valium on the rocks then? Will I be able t walk home?

--------------------
Love wins

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't forget to ask for the DVD.

--------------------
Get your arse to Mars

Posts: 8648 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd personally avoid watching the DVD myself, but you do want the TV remote and to use it to direct and torment the household as long as possible with your plaintive wails of pain. The pain may be real or fake. The point is to use it man. Manipulate others with your suffering. Real or otherwise. You can make them watch the DVD as an aid to manipulation of them.

It doesn't matter if you can walk home. Get them to wheelchair you to the door of the hospital and carry you to the car. You need to plead complete disablement and milk it all very hard for about 3 days, until those who are waiting upon you hand and foot catch you walking without wincing and you get tired of moaning.

I'm sure I'm advising one or more of the 7 deadly sins here, and that's the point. Sin hard and long, man. Enjoy it!

--------------------
Maybe I should stop to consider that I'm not worthy of an epiphany and just take what life has to offer

Posts: 10737 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

I mean, here I am wimping out and all you real men out there have been dah-ing about this for years.

I will die of SHAME for being such a wuss here before the BIG-C gets me.

--------------------
Love wins

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No one dealt the big C can ever be called a wuss to my way of thinking.
Just hope things... Well you know, turn out

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3010 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Martin, Martin, Martin, 60, 60, 60 - of course you can wimp out. Just pretend other things some of the time. You know - be yourself, but if that isn't working, be someone else.

I expect you have the usual lumpy mouldy festering mango between the pee and poo equipment. You may have "weird cells" or something else of that ilk. That's the generic findings my friend. Probably not full blown devils with pitchforks roasting your testicles to then eat them up, and preparing for a second course of sausage or tripe. But it will fine whatever the findings are.

We are all terrible wimps, crying like babies, wanting to suck the milk of human kindness at Jesus's big maternal tit of love. It's okay, do that for a while, then do the pretend, like break something (preferably something you don't need, like or want, and isn't anyone else's). Or throw stones. Or scream (though in a low pitched manly voice).

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ha. Wait til they start excising your giblets through more orifices than you knew you had (plus a few extra they punch for the purpose).

These are not the cancers to worry about. Believe me. There are much, much, much worse.

Posts: 17228 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin - always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Then always be Batman.

--------------------
Get your arse to Mars

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or Carrie Matheson.

--------------------
"Take your broken heart, make it into art"-- Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

Posts: 35047 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

quote:
I mean, here I am wimping out and all you real men out there have been dah-ing about this for years.

Don't believe all the crap about people who fight courageous battles against cancer. That's good for obituaries, but it's not how it works. We - the patients - are spectators. The people who do the fighting are the physicians and surgeons and oncologists and nurses. You are right where you should be - a bit scared and leaning on your friends. I know that works.

--------------------

Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

3 years ago I lost my Bro in Law to prostate C. No shame Martin No shame. And the bastard hasn't got you.

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 2966 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

S T says it for me Martin. Whatever it takes to get through mate.
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Feeling diffident to say the least about expressing myself this way on this thread. Hijacking Hell for my CBT. Perhaps I should bugger off to All Saints, but neither Prayers of the Faithful nor Praise and Thanksgiving cover it. I don't feel very faithful - the worst for I don't know how long, ever in a sense, this is uncharted territory - and do not believe that God (whom I only now reach out to because of the Jesus story which took a battering this week on Kerygmania, a battering I gave it) changes the laws of physics for our personal convenience. I don't want anyone praying for that. I could nonetheless praise Him and be thankful regardless, so maybe that's the thread to go to. As long as I can express it like this?

The All Saints threads are full of people going through hell. I don't want to add to it with my doubt.

Talking of which: whichever way one looks at it, with or without meaning conferred by the existence of God, reality is very strange indeed. The realisation I had recently that physical reality is infinite and eternal regardless of God is the 'problem'. This is Purgatorial I realise. Where the Hell should I go with this?

It means that our infinitesimal anthropocentric story, including the Incarnation, is that. Is that God is truly, as ever, infinitely vast and deep and full of such infinitesimals.

That if He is, He is that AND truly omnipresent, immanent throughout infinite creation.

And the only evidence that He is, is IN the Jesus story.

SO, I realised in the park, I cannot know. Therefore I must be kind regardless. I must take Pascal's wager in that regard. It's not that I might as well believe. It's that I might as well be a decent human being. HAH! Who then will save me from this body of ... death? [Smile]

Time to hoover for the weekend. And see what I will say at Triangle tonight when asked in the circle what I have to be grateful for this week. What I dread is people offering to pray for magic. That I have to carry them all in that. Ah well [Smile] God has a funny sense of humour that's for sure.

There's always Waving, Not Drowning I suppose.

[ 16. September 2016, 14:34: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin, I don't really think there is one way to pray or one way to carry the burden of life's troubles. Each one of us is stumbling through our time on earth as best as we can.

And we are reaching out to God (or not) as best as we can.

I'm glad you feel safe on the Ship and on this thread to let us all share your experience with you in love.

Many blessings; I will carry you in my heart today.

sabine

Posts: 5800 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

You guys are bloody WONDERFUL.

And yeah, Carrie Matheson is the greatest warrior. She pulled Saul back from giving up and killing a child in the process.

Triangle went well. It did my faith good. I had to encourage everyone. Cuh. Fuh.

--------------------
Love wins

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

No one is wonderful here. What do you mean accusing people of CBT? Of being helpful. WTF!! This is burning truth via lies and deceit.

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

May have posted this before. It was good during some dark times.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

I'm multiply ... embarrassed. Ashamed. So many people here have been here before me and been stoic. Apart from those myriads I've ignored on All Saints.

And what an ijit I'm being about discovering that God is a tad bigger than I thought, as if that dilutes Him homeopathically across the infinite eternal cosmos which He immanently pervades and transcendently encompasses.

He was more real to me when the universe felt like a one off half way through eternity. And that it was empty but for us because of the foolishness of Fermi's paradox. So there was only one Incarnation and an angelic realm is more allowable.

I found I need a local, tribal, small, personal God, mysterious beyond THE finite universe.

How silly. How childish.

Fermi's paradox is resolved by the limits of technology, materials science, physics, economics. The materials necessary for a space elevator cannot be synthesized. The galaxy crawls with life and the distances are utterly insurmountable for physical communication, just theoretically feasible for detection. By spectroscopy.

Each of the practically infinite number of sapient species in our bubble must have had an Incarnation.

Which makes God ... complex. Especially as the Son.

There are infinite practically infinitely inhabited universes.

There always have been.

If there are angels and demons they must be local. To our world. To each world. Of the infinite worlds. The accounts of them are of very localized creatures that are not eternal. They don't do parallel processing, any of the omnis by far. But they are 4D.

Why should I give them the time of day? Jesus did. Big time. After His resurrection in Mark.

Just musing. Tell me to muse elsewhere.

--------------------
Love wins

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Mused off to Purg. The musing is a heightened consequence of existential threat, the suction of cancer, but is a point of departure.

What remains is that there are a lot of very courageous people here and there have been much more. I keep thinking of Ken.

Off to check on a very nicely fruiting Tree of Heaven.

--------------------
Love wins

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

You BASTARDS! They drove a whole BBC Inside Broadcasting Unit up my WILLY!!!

--------------------
Love wins

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Some people, eh? Just remember: that's someone's fetish.

--------------------
Get your arse to Mars

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

quote:

Ah... That's more like it. Welcome to Hell. Do you get to keep a copy of the video, edited with rolling credits and all?

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yup, I've had that too. The pictures weren't all that pretty, either.
Posts: 9115 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Feeling diffident to say the least about expressing myself this way on this thread. Hijacking Hell for my CBT. Perhaps I should bugger off to All Saints, but neither Prayers of the Faithful nor Praise and Thanksgiving cover it. I don't feel very faithful - the worst for I don't know how long, ever in a sense, this is uncharted territory - and do not believe that God (whom I only now reach out to because of the Jesus story which took a battering this week on Kerygmania, a battering I gave it) changes the laws of physics for our personal convenience. As long as I can express it like this?

Martin, I'm so glad you didn't post your story in All Saints. I rarely go there, (it's just not me,) yet I needed to hear something like this right now and it did me bunches of good. As you say, it's uncharted territory and fear of the unknown is a big part of the Big C-fear. No I don't have a prostate or a willy, but WebMD, to whom I had turned for a reassuring, "It's probably lactose intolerance," turned on me and told me that if I answered "Yes," to 6 out of 8 "Do you have this?" questions for something much worse, I probably did. So now I'm waiting for that first GP appointment that you said was step one on your first post here.

Somehow it's good to know that I wont have to make a lot of decisions, but can just go for the tests ordered, one by one, wait for results, in the hands of the doctors, with optional crying in the shower.

Of course I'd far, far rather you didn't have this going on at all, but I really appreciate your sharing. I eagerly await your (our) "It was nothing serious!" post.

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

[Votive] Twilight. It does give one a bit of a workout in all emotional directions for sure! If I could plot mine on a graph it would look like a seismograph reading. Keep us posted. Let it ALL hang out, this is Hell dash it all.

--------------------
Love wins

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Twilight, I am hoping you are badly mistaken, that you missed the paragraph that said, This only occurred in Stone Age Outer Mongolia or something. But then I try to stave off the realisation of bad things.

This whole thread makes me want to stamp my foot and shout, "If I were God thinks would be better organised."

But I'm not.( just as well really, things would be even more stuffed up than they are).

Please do let us know.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 9958 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I don't even have one, I'm crossing my legs.

--------------------
"Take your broken heart, make it into art"-- Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

Posts: 35047 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016