homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Fod Hates Gags! The Westboro thread (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fod Hates Gags! The Westboro thread
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The previous thread on Fred Phelps has disappeared into the sunset (I wish Fred would do the same). But, no, he's still around:
Outrage as Westboro ******* plans praise gathering outside Sandy Hook Elementary school to celebrate God 'executing his judgement' in horrific shooting rampage that killed 20 children and 6 adults
[Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

[Westboro again]

[ 13. February 2013, 00:11: Message buggered about with by: comet ]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The dark haired young Phelpsian in the foreground of the pic does at least seem to be hanging her head. Maybe this will finally provoke a mass exodus.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am getting sick and tired of them trying to turn every fucking event in the world to being about them. They are a disgrace to the name church, which is quite an achievement, given the fucked up state that so many churches are in.

I would suggest that they should all burn in hell, but the truth is, I suspect that they already are. You cannot be so hate-filled without being dead inside. The tragedy is that they are right - those who deny God will be in hell. The problem is that this applies to them, not to others.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My preference would be that they should not be interviewed or reported on, their posters should not be published and they should not be seen or heard on TV or radio. Treat them in RL as we treat trolls here.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope Westboro choose the same time that President Obama is there to join families in a vigil. I think the President's security will know how to deal with them.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh good lord. I suppose it was inevitable that they'd show up, too much publicity to be had to not.

They must rejoice every time some atrocity happens. Doesn't the skewed morality of that ever occur to them?

[ 16. December 2012, 17:07: Message edited by: Nicolemr ]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Lord, this almost makes me weep. How can they be so out of touch with reality?

[Votive] again for the people of Newton

[Votive] for the people of WBC, that their eyes might be opened to the love of God.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
anne
Shipmate
# 73

- Posted      Profile for anne   Email anne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This description"
"Westboro Baptist Church, an unaffiliated religious group that self-identifies as a church" from the linked article struck me as an interesting description of this hate-filled group. It offered a little hope that some people at least could differentiate between the antics of the WBC and the vast majority of Christian Churches.

anne

--------------------
‘I would have given the Church my head, my hand, my heart. She would not have them. She did not know what to do with them. She told me to go back and do crochet' Florence Nightingale

Posts: 338 | From: Devon | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
They must rejoice every time some atrocity happens.

I think they say so themselves explicitly. I've never heard anyone ask if they will also rejoice in their own misfortunes or the misfortunes of their loved ones using the same warped theological justification that they use to rejoice in everyone else's misfortunes.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
Oh good lord. I suppose it was inevitable that they'd show up, too much publicity to be had to not.

They must rejoice every time some atrocity happens. Doesn't the skewed morality of that ever occur to them?

They're ghouls. Feeding off the misery of others. I don't use this word lightly but spiritually I think they're satanic (in the sense of a form of ultimate evil). And I'm sure they equally feed off the hate they generate towards themselves.

The physical disgust I feel about this worries me because I think it might mean I'm giving them more importance and significance than they deserve. But I can't help it.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anne:
This description"
"Westboro Baptist Church, an unaffiliated religious group that self-identifies as a church" from the linked article struck me as an interesting description of this hate-filled group. It offered a little hope that some people at least could differentiate between the antics of the WBC and the vast majority of Christian Churches.

anne

That's from the Daily Mail, a reactionary conservative (and Conservative) UK newspaper. Credit to them (for once) for an accurate description but it looks like they are trying to set as much distance between their point of view and that of the Phelpsians.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the basis that many homophobes are secretly gay, I'm still waiting for Fred to be caught doing 'an immoral act' in a cottage (UK slang. US equivalent = 'tea room'.)

There is, however, an irony in posting about the Phelps family in Hell, given that is where they believe most of us are going to end up.

[ 16. December 2012, 18:30: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
My preference would be that they should not be interviewed or reported on, their posters should not be published and they should not be seen or heard on TV or radio. Treat them in RL as we treat trolls here.

Can we send this comment to the American press?

I think Sioni is right, they are a group of attention whores and they show nothing of God's love. A friend of ours was put right off God by someone a bit like this - following the Aberfan disater, he went to church and heard a sermon as to how the disaster was a judgement from God.
He now comes to church regularly, mainly because of the love shown in our little fellowship. He wouldn't openly call himself a Christian, but he certainly hears the Gospel each week.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anne:
This description"Westboro Baptist Church, an unaffiliated religious group that self-identifies as a church" from the linked article struck me as an interesting description of this hate-filled group. It offered a little hope that some people at least could differentiate between the antics of the WBC and the vast majority of Christian Churches.

anne

Yes I saw that and thought it was an improvement. I was interested, having not looked at their web site for a while, I checked it out for my blog post, and was amazed at how hate-focused it was. They were rejoicing in their hatred. They even have a page on biblical quotes about Gods hatred. They have affiliated sites including "godhatestheworld".

If you ask anyone the core quality of God, it is "love". That is very simplistic, but very true, and vitally important. They seem to have exchanged this for "GodHatesEverything".

It is sad, in that this outpouring of hatred cannot indicate happiness or satisfaction inside. They are filled with hate, and that is not a good sign of mental stability.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there are two options...either they haven't read 1 John, or they think they're the ones hated by the world. Shiver.
Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is Mike Huckabee part of this odious cult? Or are there other such hate groups out there?

quote:
Mike Huckabee
Former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee (R) weighed in on the massacre at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn. on Friday, saying the crime was no surprise because we have "systematically removed God" from public schools.

This guy was a contender for president of your country?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anonymous has hacked their website and posted personal information about the Westboro members.

Inquisitor article

Note - linked article does not contain said personal information, just info on the hacking.

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having had these monsters show up at Gay events, the solution w as to turn them into a fund raiser for the event they were protesting. Get people to pledge x$ an hour for every they picket to some form of what they picket.

Other than than that I'm hoping for some large celebrations when Phelps goes to his reward in the afterlife.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Is Mike Huckabee part of this odious cult? Or are there other such hate groups out there?

quote:
Mike Huckabee
Former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee (R) weighed in on the massacre at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn. on Friday, saying the crime was no surprise because we have "systematically removed God" from public schools.

This guy was a contender for president of your country?
I see you missed the Republican Primary Season.
He's not a member of that cult, but is horrible in his own way. He gets lots of support from the Christian Right in their demands to make this a Christian Nation.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Phelps Sr may go soon, but what of it? His spawn and theirs survive to carry on his message. Not to mention other fruitcakes who buy into their "religion" or support them financially.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

it does seem that there are a few other individuals who have such vile views, but they are individuals. WBC is an organisation that teaches these to others, and calls itself a "church" to give itself some credibility.

There are always individual nutters, but organised hatred is so much worse.

Given time, I think as the leaders die off, the "church" will die. But that may take a long time.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kyzyl:
Anonymous has hacked their website and posted personal information about the Westboro members.

Inquisitor article

Note - linked article does not contain said personal information, just info on the hacking.

More here including Anonymous's declaration (via further link)

[ 16. December 2012, 22:22: Message edited by: HughWillRidmee ]

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting. I wonder how successful Anonymous will be.
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mullygrub
Up and over
# 9113

- Posted      Profile for Mullygrub   Email Mullygrub   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just been criticised on Facebum for "hating them back" in choosing to voice my opinions about WBC's behaviour in response to a friend's post about same.

In a moment of pause and self-reflection, I wondered whether my agitator is, in fact, correct; am I perpetuating a culture of hate by expressing a strong opinion against this sect?

And then I remembered that they are dickwaddick fuckheads who need to be castrated, both in word and in deed.

--------------------
Smurfs are weird. And so am I.

Posts: 634 | From: Melbskies | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Git'em, Anonymous!

And thank you lovely minions, for not putting the Ship in the way of WBC's notorious litigiousness. We'll let Anonymous take the risk. Bless them.

At the moment, I love youse guys.

The moment will pass.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Phelps Sr may go soon, but what of it? His spawn and theirs survive to carry on his message. Not to mention other fruitcakes who buy into their "religion" or support them financially.

Actually they do not accept outside donations.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
News reports here usually will also clarify that WBC is not affiliated with any Baptist denomination in the US, and occasionally mention that the membership consists entire of the Phelps clan.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
Interesting. I wonder how successful Anonymous will be.

Personally I wonder when Anonymous will stop being a bunch of reckless vigilantes. YMMV.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Phelps and his hate-filled utterances have always been repugnant, but this absolutely takes the biscuit. He's well-known to be a malevolent, homophobic twat, who seems to regard homosexuals, particularly murdered ones, as fair game.

But children in an infant school? How can even someone with as warped a mind as his find anything to rejoice about in the cold-blooded killing of six- and seven-year-olds?

How dare he and his cohorts call themselves a "church"? [Mad]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Westboro folks are like cafeteria Christians who don't "pick and choose" their spiritual nourishment from the lean meat, sweet fruit, and brightly colored veggies of scripture, but dumpster dive for rotten offal and moldy text packages past their sell dates.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Phelps Sr may go soon, but what of it?

Good excuse for a fireworks display and a rave party outside his funeral? [Yipee]

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
But children in an infant school? How can even someone with as warped a mind as his find anything to rejoice about in the cold-blooded killing of six- and seven-year-olds?

You're missing the point. Their protests are all about generating heat in return, in the hope that someone will break the law on response so that they can sue them. It's how they make their money. From that point of view protesting after this tragedy is gold dust...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
The Westboro folks are like cafeteria Christians who don't "pick and choose" their spiritual nourishment from the lean meat, sweet fruit, and brightly colored veggies of scripture, but dumpster dive for rotten offal and moldy text packages past their sell dates.

I remember hearing one of the Phelpses asked for their view on "For God so loved the world..." and they immediately responded that the verse was being taken out of context and twisted. It was really quite clear that God hated the world.

Marvin, I don't think that is their game. I think they are hooked on attention, but I don't think they have anything so material or logical in their rationale for that need.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by Mullygrub:
I've just been criticised on Facebum for "hating them back" in choosing to voice my opinions about WBC's behaviour in response to a friend's post about same.

In a moment of pause and self-reflection, I wondered whether my agitator is, in fact, correct; am I perpetuating a culture of hate by expressing a strong opinion against this sect?

And then I remembered that they are dickwaddick fuckheads who need to be castrated, both in word and in deed.

I think, to be honest, there is a danger of hatred being shown back to them. However, most of what I see is disowning of them, and anger at their mistaken and warped presentation of Christianity, not hatred.

The more offensive they are, the further away from any form of acceptance they get. Which suits their purposes completely, as they see themselves as a persecuted group.

It is not their position that homosexuality is wrong that I have a problem with. I disagree with this, but I know others who hold similar positions who I can accept perfectly OK. It is the fact that they spew their vile hatred of everyone and everything. It makes the KKK seem moderate.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I echo Schroedinger's Cat and add that it is their utterly crooked theology which angers me so much.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:

I remember hearing one of the Phelpses asked for their view on "For God so loved the world..." and they immediately responded that the verse was being taken out of context and twisted. It was really quite clear that God hated the world.

Twisted like
quote:
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. 1984

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's so tough to choose, but I think #28 may be my favourite.

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Meg the Red:
quote:

It's nice to have God clear this up in person.

Obviously here are many, many reasons why people can't stand the Westboro Baptist Church! Sometimes I think that Christian hard-line conservatives hate them with special intensity because the Westboro message reads as an reductio ad absurdum, amounting to a grotesque loud-mouth parody, of a certain kind of Bible-based fundamentalism that is actually often heard here in the U.S., though usually expressed more genteely.

[ 17. December 2012, 19:06: Message edited by: roybart ]

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about James Dobson. He sounds like someone from this wacko churcho no no.

quote:
James Dobson
And a lot of these things are happening around us, and somebody is going to get mad at me for saying what I am about to say right now, but I am going to give you my honest opinion: I think we have turned our back on the Scripture and on God Almighty and I think he has allowed judgment to fall upon us.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Meg the Red:

We've been over this before, but I can't take my eyes off #22.

Uh, yeah, that Phred is an asshole all right.

(Semi-- seriously, I keep finding my thoughts drawn to the younger members of WBC-- I am praying the cheerful creativity they see will be a witness to them. No shit, I am.)

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re mental stability of Fred:

Fred's mentally ill, and very abusive to his family. Some of his offspring have escaped. A son who did has written about how sick the family is.

Strangely, Fred was a civil rights attorney, once upon a time. I wonder what happened.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:

quote:
James Dobson
And a lot of these things are happening around us, and somebody is going to get mad at me for saying what I am about to say right now, but I am going to give you my honest opinion: I think we have turned our back on the Scripture and on God Almighty and I think he has allowed judgment to fall upon us.

I wonder if it has occurred to Dobson that The Lord God Almighty might get mad with him? Wrath and vengeance are His, and are not to be tossed around by quasi-political demagogues with a theology infested with intolerance.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Re mental stability of Fred:

Fred's mentally ill, and very abusive to his family. Some of his offspring have escaped. A son who did has written about how sick the family is.

Just... pray for the offspring. I'm just saying. Dear God.

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
James Dobson

"We"? Who's this "we"?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dobson sees himself as a spokesman for the nation. He means the people of America IMO. Does he speak for America? No.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A figment of his imagination. His own feelings of guilt and inadequacy projected onto the rest of the world. Nasty.

ETA: Interestingly, stating this sort of weird concepts, the most hardcore so-called evangelicals seem not dissimilar to hardcore RCs - a thought which they would deny in the strongest terms.

[ 18. December 2012, 08:51: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be interested in knowing just how you arrived at your last sentence, buddy. Possibly from ignorance.

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
I'd be interested in knowing just how you arrived at your last sentence, buddy. Possibly from ignorance.

I expect fire and brimstone is the same in any denomination. Some of the words differ, but it's the same beast albeit with a different person holding the leash.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

I wasn't asking you.

Fire and brimstone is certainly not part of my Catholicism, nor that of any other Catholics that I know.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Neither is it part of my Evangelicalism.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016