homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Fod Hates Gags! The Westboro thread (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fod Hates Gags! The Westboro thread
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PeteC, balaam, I never thought of you two as hardcore anything.

Read the whole post guys.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
How about James Dobson. He sounds like someone from this wacko churcho no no.

quote:
James Dobson
And a lot of these things are happening around us, and somebody is going to get mad at me for saying what I am about to say right now, but I am going to give you my honest opinion: I think we have turned our back on the Scripture and on God Almighty and I think he has allowed judgment to fall upon us.

You see, out of context, he has a point, I think. As a nation - whether the US or the UK - we have to a large extent rejected God. And I think there is an argument that "judgement" is long overdue.

The problem is that this rejection of God is more about financial greed, social deprivation etc, not sexuality. And it it NOT our place to say that this even is Gods judgement. Especially when the people who have suffered are not the people who are involved in the rejection of God, explicitly.

What is more, I suspect that God is rather more angered by people who take his name and abuse it, by claiming to speak in his name, while spurting hatred and abuse.

To take it wider, when the church is condemning the nation for immorality, when the church as a whole is a hotbed of abuse is hypocritical in the extreme.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:
How about James Dobson. He sounds like someone from this wacko churcho no no.

quote:
James Dobson
And a lot of these things are happening around us, and somebody is going to get mad at me for saying what I am about to say right now, but I am going to give you my honest opinion: I think we have turned our back on the Scripture and on God Almighty and I think he has allowed judgment to fall upon us.

You see, out of context, he has a point, I think. As a nation - whether the US or the UK - we have to a large extent rejected God. And I think there is an argument that "judgement" is long overdue.

The problem is that this rejection of God is more about financial greed, social deprivation etc, not sexuality. And it it NOT our place to say that this even is Gods judgement. Especially when the people who have suffered are not the people who are involved in the rejection of God, explicitly.

What is more, I suspect that God is rather more angered by people who take his name and abuse it, by claiming to speak in his name, while spurting hatred and abuse.

To take it wider, when the church is condemning the nation for immorality, when the church as a whole is a hotbed of abuse is hypocritical in the extreme.

Dobson's "god" is what I recognize as absolute evil. Whose god-damn god arranges for a mentally disturbed person to murder 6 year olds? Dobson, Huckabee, Westboro clan - all of these people are unrecognizable as Christian let alone human.

And it IS our place to contradict insane evil evangelists when THEY say they know what God is up to.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Re mental stability of Fred:

Fred's mentally ill, and very abusive to his family. Some of his offspring have escaped. A son who did has written about how sick the family is.

Strangely, Fred was a civil rights attorney, once upon a time. I wonder what happened.

As you say, mental deterioration, sadly in a very harmful negative direction.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
listener
Apprentice
# 15770

- Posted      Profile for listener   Email listener   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Collectors of the really far out might look at
http://www.overcomerministry.org/index.php
headed by "Brother Stair" the last day prophet of God (he says).
Caution, his weekly "sermons" are usually three-hour rambles and rants. He believes there were no dinosaurs, they are said to have lived millions of years ago but God created Time when He created the earth so nothing could exist before 5000 BC.

Posts: 31 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by listener:
Caution, his weekly "sermons" are usually three-hour rambles and rants. He believes there were no dinosaurs, they are said to have lived millions of years ago but God created Time when He created the earth so nothing could exist before 5000 BC.

I used to listen to him on shortwave. Almost as fun as North Korean radio, "the Glorious Leader" etc. Quite the thing. I think there was probly 2 of of listening worldwide to Br Stair, and the other person didn't understand English.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by listener:

I used to listen to him on shortwave. Almost as fun as North Korean radio, "the Glorious Leader" etc. Quite the thing. I think there was probly 2 of of listening worldwide to Br Stair, and the other person didn't understand English.
3 of us, then. [Biased] As well as the North Koreans on occasion, and my own personal favorite, Radio Habana Cuba. Where else can you still be called an "imperialist running dog" these days?

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stoker
Shipmate
# 11939

- Posted      Profile for Stoker   Email Stoker       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a strong Biblical principle of Gods' judgement on all people. It ties up with the principle of original sin and is perhaps best summarised by Romans Ch 1, v 18-32. However, before you get out the pitchforks, where the judgement-pointer-outers like Dobbs, Phelps et al go wrong is that they mis-apply the principle.

As verse 29 says, people are full of every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity and this is because the world is cursed (if you hold to the Biblical view of original sin/ fall or whatever you call it). So we're all under judgement (that includes you Phelps and Dobbs)

However, whilst we can therefore explain a certain principle which, if we're honest, we see every single day in our own lives. We should not have the crass and cruel insensitivity to point it out for certain events (usually when lots of people die) as if they were somehow special one-offs because God got really pissed off.

--------------------
Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just got done watching the first half of "kevin smith burn in hell" on YouTube, an audience Q&A. And I have to share this. Evidently, Megan Phelps (twenty-something granddaughter) has been tweeting Kevin since the Phelps declared him an enabler of fags. He surmised that she was flirting with him even when she was telling him he'd burn in Hell. So he tweeted back: "Oh, fucking Megan, my wife says if it will save you from your cult-like family, we can all have a 3 way." [Snigger]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes Kevin Smith knocks the ball right out of the park.

He picketed 'Dogma", too. Smith, not Phelps. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kevin Smith rocks on a regular basis. [Overused]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Olde Sea Dog
Shipmate
# 13061

- Posted      Profile for Olde Sea Dog   Email Olde Sea Dog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing that most strikes me about the Boronians is how comfortable they are with themselves, how absolutely certain they're the good ones even as they do one evil action after another. Same as with most evil people. I watched some interviews with them ..... Phelp's daughter was backing up everything she said by pulling out proof scriptures (of course neglecting most of the gospels at the same time). Very sincere.

How can people be like that? And it happens on all levels of society, petty tyrants who in their small spheres are doing the equivalent of killing all the Jews, or flying jets into tall buildings, or starving out any opposition by the millions. The world is filled with sociopaths who don't even know they're evil, but think they're doing good by unleashing misery.

How is it that they can be punished for rejecting God, when they honestly believe they are promoting His agenda? And yet I want them to be punished.

--------------------
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Posts: 67 | From: The C of Consciousness - California | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
beatmenace
Shipmate
# 16955

- Posted      Profile for beatmenace   Email beatmenace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Strangely, Fred was a civil rights attorney, once upon a time. I wonder what happened.

This is why WBC dont take donations (who offers i dont know...but thats another question).

The schtick is that WBC pickets turn up at an event ; get shown off the premises by security/police/general public etc; then sue for having the 1st Amendment violated (right to free speech etc).

Thats how they make their cash. Most of the Phelps seem to be Lawyers.......Good Scam though.

--------------------
"I'm the village idiot , aspiring to great things." (The Icicle Works)

Posts: 297 | From: Whitley Bay | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by beatmenace:
quote:

This is why WBC dont take donations (who offers i dont know...but thats another question).

The schtick is that WBC pickets turn up at an event ; get shown off the premises by security/police/general public etc; then sue for having the 1st Amendment violated (right to free speech etc).

Thats how they make their cash. Most of the Phelps seem to be Lawyers.......Good Scam though.

Does it work? I don't think it would in the UK as saying those sorts of things would probably get you arrested for Public Order offenses, or incitement to start a public order offense or something.

Do "Westies" (for want of a better word) get away with it? Surely not every form of speach is protected if it is designed to (a) incite violence and/or (b) financially gain from it?

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Actually, according to a couple of Phelps family defectors who spoke publicly with Kevin Smith, the whole supporting-the-church-on-law-suits thing is pretty much a myth. They have sued a number of times, but they certainly haven't been raking in the $200,000 a year that floats the church boat. Most of Fred Phelps' kids are lawyers of the garden variety. The clan lawyers just make their livings doing the usual law practice things. When Kevin Smith asked Libby and Josh Phelps about it, they shrugged and said, no, the church didn't get much of its income from church lawsuits. And when he asked who the hell would hire them, they said that they were known to be pretty good lawyers.

The church does look rich because of all the traveling to protests. But everyone who goes has to pay their own way. And usually they send only four protesters with two signs each. Period.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
... they send only four protesters with two signs each. Period.

Are there many more of them than that?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Re mental stability of Fred:

Fred's mentally ill, and very abusive to his family. Some of his offspring have escaped. A son who did has written about how sick the family is.

As you say, mental deterioration, sadly in a very harmful negative direction.
I wonder if there's any way to get him on a 72-hr. psych hold? Not in a vindictive way. But if he can be diagnosed and (hopefully!) be forced to get some help, maybe it would defuse the group a bit?

Of course, any family members who really believe all the crap might well think that the gov't was lying about his mental health.

[Votive]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
listener
Apprentice
# 15770

- Posted      Profile for listener   Email listener   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
link to actual text

[edited to delete potentially copyrighted material and insert link to actual source. -comet]

[ 16. January 2013, 20:24: Message edited by: comet ]

Posts: 31 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
listener:

hey, fuckstick - do not cut and paste wholesale articles from anywhere else. Use your own words or fuck off to the magical land where plagiarism is okay. If you can't be bothered to express an original thought, you don't even meet the admittedly pathetically low standards of Hell.

Plus, you made myself and my fellow hosts waste our valuable surf time* hunting down your actual source because you were so fucking obviously ripping off someone else.

yeah yeah, I know, you're an apprentice, though hardly new to the boards. consider this a gentle reminder to follow some basic rules (like, say, those taught to 6 year olds) around here, or risk getting your ass toasted like the big old slab of bacon it really is.

comet
Hellhost

* you know, like cute cat videos.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
TeaAddict
Apprentice
# 14946

- Posted      Profile for TeaAddict   Email TeaAddict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it was Phelps snr (not sure) but I know one of these idiots got banned from entering the UK recently as it was deemed they were coming here to incite hatred. And as quite rightly pointed out by deano, if they picketed funerals like they appear to do in the U.S., a whole raft of laws could be thrown at them. It amazes me that the freedom of speech interpretation given by the supreme court does not recognise the potential danger they pose (not just to themselves, but to public order in general), and block them from doing some of the stuff they do (the old idea of freedom of speech not extending to shouting 'fire' in a crowded theater springs to mind). If these guys were saying anything pro-taliban, they would be incarcerated within the week.

--------------------
In the interests of safety, please turn off common sense now.

Posts: 16 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TeaAddict:
If these guys were saying anything pro-taliban, they would be incarcerated within the week.

How quaint. No, they would not be incarcerated. The first amendment is about limiting the ability of the government to do anything to people who utter political speech, or practice their religion.

Much as I dislike Renaissance hat wearing asshole arch conservatives, I am sure Antonin Scalia and every other member of the Court were grinding their teeth when they said Phred & company could not be sued for saying a soldier was going to hell at his funeral.

The point is that no sane person likes what the members of the Westboro Baptist Church say. Governments simply cannot do anything to them because of what they say.

Much as I would like to think that our government could lock them away and not take things too far, such is not the case. The non 47 percenters in Congress would absolutely take things too far and ban speech from Westboro, Muslims, gays, liberals, unions . . .

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

TeaAddict:
quote:
If these guys were saying anything pro-taliban, they would be incarcerated within the week.
No. But they'd likely be on the Homeland Security lists for watching to see if they were anything more than talk. [Paranoid]

They have to be already on FBI radar just for being crazy fuckwits. You don't have to be a Muslim extremist to be a danger to society.

--------------------

teddybear
Shipmate
# 7842

- Posted      Profile for teddybear   Author's homepage   Email teddybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Longtime citizen of Topeka, Kansas and longtime Phelps watcher. Not only do the Phelps clan have a law practice (those who haven't been disbarred anyway), several of them also have positions at various state, county and city agencies as well. There are Phelps just about anywhere you turn in this town. They are universally disliked and universally feared. I think every Topekan, unle,abused by the Phelps at one time or another. I personally know a woman who was fired from her job because the Phelps targeted the restaurant she managed. Their reason for picketing? She was an out lesbian. Unfortunately, Kansas is one of those "right to work" states, so there was nothing she could do about the firing. I also remember back when the Phelps only picketed those they believed to have been gay or who they believed had died from AIDS. Of course, in those days no one got all upset or passed laws limiting when and where they could picket, that only happened when they started picketing solider's funerals.

--------------------
My cooking blog: http://inthekitchenwithdon.blogspot.com/

Posts: 480 | From: Topeka, Kansas USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lyda mentioned Megan Phelps-Roper upthread - she appears to have had a change of heart.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Yay! [Yipee]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jack the Lass--

Thank you so much for the link to that wonderful article! And hurray for Megan and Grace getting away. I liked that the writer was careful not to reveal where they initially hid out.

Their statement, linked to at the end of the article, is worth reading, too.

I wonder what Fred would do if everyone walked out??

Noticed something interesting in the initial article: some other kids left the family, and their father (?) still loves them, and helped get them set up for housing, etc.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
Lyda mentioned Megan Phelps-Roper upthread - she appears to have had a change of heart.

Hooray

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for Megan and Grace.

And a big [Votive] for all still at WBC.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice style from the two ladies, quoting Catwoman in their statement [Big Grin]

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Just saw it on Laura's feed.
From the Salon.com article:

quote:
And as they move forward, Megan says, “The environment we grew up in was very ‘us vs. them.’ It’s been nice to see that the ‘them’ have been overwhelmingly kind — as we’d kind of hoped and suspected.” Welcome to the other side of the picket line, Megan. Welcome home.
Yes. Yes. Yes. [Yipee] [Tear]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

- Posted      Profile for Horatio Harumph     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'welcome to the other side of the picket line - welcome home'

Hadnt noticed that in what I have read today, and it just made me all tear up and go mushy. As I tweeted earlier, prayers for them both as they look to build new lives for themselves.

(apols for the very very unhellish comment, shall I add a few fuck's?)

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Chocolate is proof that God wants us to be happy.

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horatio Harumph:
(apols for the very very unhellish comment, shall I add a few fuck's?)

Nope. You're good. I can't deny, this is one time when a Hell thread has drifted into new territory through external circumstances, not because Shipmates fucked it up.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is exceptionally good news. I really wish them all the best, and hope that some of those in WBC can actually see what they are doing.

I doubt it, as the WBC regulars are not known for actually listening to anyone.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You know what the creepiest thing about this is? Not only does leaving Westboro appear to be alarmingly like leaving other, less on-the-face-of-it-cultish bits of the church, the church they've left actually seems to be more graceful to people leaving than some of those other nicer-looking bits.

quote:
Sometimes it’s described as a shunning process, but that’s not entirely apt. It is, in the eyes of the remaining members, a sort of death, but it’s a gentle one, because the carcass isn’t just dumped or ignored. One church member, who has lost two of his kids to the outside world, told me that he still loved them and that he set them up as best they could with what they’d need to start their new lives—some money, some household goods, even a car.
Surely I can't be the only one here with whom Megan's experience resonates? Nobody bought me a car though [Waterworks]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
rlmueller
Apprentice
# 17444

- Posted      Profile for rlmueller   Email rlmueller   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two girls (sisters) just defected from Westboro. Lord be with them.
A.Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 15044

- Posted      Profile for A.Pilgrim   Email A.Pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
On the basis that many homophobes are secretly gay, I'm still waiting for Fred to be caught doing 'an immoral act' in a cottage (UK slang. US equivalent = 'tea room'.)

Yes, that's very likely, and applies to many components of the human emotional make-up, not just sexuality. One of the most powerful psychoanalytic principles is summed up as: 'We hate the expression by others of that which is repressed within ourselves' - the reason being that the behaviour of the other person reminds ourselves of the desires that we are refusing to acknowledge as existing within our own psyches, and the resulting defence against self-recognition is an intense hatred of the other.

Another example in the area of sexuality is the preacher who most vociferously condemns (heterosexual) immorality is the one most likely to lose control of their repressed desires and elope in an adulterous relationship with a member of the congregation. You can tell a lot about someone from what they hate, and the principle can be applied to oneself for the achievement of greater self-awareness, too.

Posts: 434 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
maleveque
Shipmate
# 132

- Posted      Profile for maleveque   Email maleveque   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Supremely proud of my alma mater today. Vassar's response to the Westboro Baptist Law Firm, LLC.
I wasted most of my afternoon watching the live feed.
- Anne L.

--------------------
Life isn't all fricasseed frogs and eel pie.

Posts: 1496 | From: Washington, DC or thereabouts | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Westboro Baptist Church Epically Trolled By Rainbow Colored House Right Across The Street
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is wonderful.

I was going to say maybe Fred will have an aneurism.

But, that would be wrong. TIACWS so I will confine myself to saying perhaps the Grace that passes all understanding will descend upon the unfortunate members of the Westboro Baptist Church and fill them with a love for all the other children of God who surround them.

Nah, fuck it. Maybe Fred will have an aneurism.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
Nah, fuck it. Maybe Fred will have an aneurism.

He might but he's a tough old bird:

http://www.columbiatrackclub.com/hoa/results/1970.htm

I ran this course many years later (it was my first and fastest marathon) and finished a couple minutes slower than him so can appreciate his feat. It is an extremely hilly run... I do kind of feel sorry for the children getting drug along though.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. I sure hope one day that my physical fitness 43 years ago becomes relevant to a discussion.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[Big Grin]

Anonymous just hacked their YouTube and Facbook accounts.

[Big Grin]

I strongly disapprove. Hacking is childish, immoral, and no answer to anything.

[Snigger] [Snigger] [Snigger]

[ 30. March 2013, 06:23: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Wow. I sure hope one day that my physical fitness 43 years ago becomes relevant to a discussion.

You were supposed to notice that he forced many of his young children to train for and participate in a grueling marathon run so he obviously was evil even then.

Sorry I wasn't more obvious. [Help]

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by moron:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

You were supposed to notice that he forced many of his young children to train for and participate in a grueling marathon run so he obviously was evil even then.

Sorry I wasn't more obvious. [Help]

Oh yeah. I definitely saw where against some entries it had a little asterisk and a note saying 'unwilling participant'. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
David Phelps sat upon by huge naked man

On the one hand, I'm disappointed: our side can do better than physical violence. On the other hand...man calls himself "Billy The Fridge."

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Crazy Cat Lady
Shipmate
# 17616

- Posted      Profile for Crazy Cat Lady   Email Crazy Cat Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a bit stunned so many of you think that because this guy is severly offensive and even evil - he must therefore be mentally ill

Um thats a dodgy connection to make and suggests you think mental illness makes people evil. Some of you even tout a diagnosis as the worst criticism you could make of him.

For the record mental illness does not make you evil, twisted, derranged etc But it does make you someone society widely rejects via these outdated assumptions

Posts: 52 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you've maybe got hold of the wrong end of the stick here. The Ship is the one place I know where people are extremely open about their own mental illnesses; I suffer from severe depression myself. The thing about Phred is he doesn't seem to have just one problem (being evil); he also seems to be out of touch with reality. One can be BOTH evil and mentally ill, just as one can be only evil or only mentally ill.

[ 30. March 2013, 18:17: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you've maybe got hold of the wrong end of tge stick here. The Ship is the one place I know where people are exr,tremely open about their own mental illnesses; I suffer from severe depression myself. The thing about Phred is he doesn't seem to have just one problem (being evil); he also seems to be out of touch with reality. One can be BOTH evil and mentally ill, just as one can be only evil or only mentally ill.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

You see what you did with your post Crazy Cat Lady? You made Lamb Chopped repeat herself.

Phred was apparently quite normal for a while. Then he got a bad case of asshole disease.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Oh dear! [Devil]

You know, with the recent trend toward medicalizing anything that stands still long enough, I'm sure it's just a matter of time before assholism makes it into the DSM-V.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016