homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Fod Hates Gags! The Westboro thread (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fod Hates Gags! The Westboro thread
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
I'm sure it's just a matter of time before assholism makes it into the DSM-V.

You called? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Fearfully and wonderfully mad

ن
blog

Posts: 8461 | From: Proxima b | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crazy Cat Lady
Shipmate
# 17616

- Posted      Profile for Crazy Cat Lady   Email Crazy Cat Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeh you can be both ill and evil, but as that is the exception than the rule, perhaps it is worth saying so to avoid seeming to collude with negative representations.

I am not too bothered if people accept me as I am, or judge - I am pretty open about the fact I have Bipolar and Schizophrenia a.k.a Schizoaffective disorder. So I have a pretty good handle on being 'out of touch with reality' and this guy isn't ticking the boxes. But if we said he was obsessively paranoid about certain groups of people, I might agree, there has to be a psychological reason for such extreme behaviour and such extreme hate - just not a psychiatric one.

I a very social model myself - I have a psychologist who shares these views. So we have developed a means of recovery that avoids zombifying drugs. I am a bit of a campaigner tbh - I lecture at the local Uni, give presentations for Time to Change and used to have a role at the BBC. So I may appear to be banging my drum a bit!

And for the record, WBC really, really piss me off too!

--------------------
'They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me!"

Nathaniel Lee

Posts: 52 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Crazy Cat Lady,

We don't often give welcomes to people to The Ship on the Hell board (it isn't that kind of board), and there's a Welcome thread on our All Saints board. That's also the place for fellowship and understanding, which are pretty rare in Hell.

ps: please have a look at out 10 Commandments and the guidelines for the boards.

Sioni Sais
Helpful Hellhost

--------------------
If someone takes a shot at President Trump will his bodyguards shout "Donald Duck"?

Posts: 23457 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crazy Cat Lady
Shipmate
# 17616

- Posted      Profile for Crazy Cat Lady   Email Crazy Cat Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
well thats Ok but I wasn't really after welcome or fellowship - I just wanted to challenge some thinking, and provide the context for my opinions

--------------------
'They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me!"

Nathaniel Lee

Posts: 52 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
You see what you did with your post Crazy Cat Lady? You made Lamb Chopped repeat herself.

And better yet, the second version had a spelling mistake not present in the first version.
[Devil]

--------------------
The musical diary has been updated in praise of Paul Dempsey.

Posts: 17750 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
you're in good company, Crazy Cat Lady. there's a number of us on the Ship who have special challenges of various sorts (I'm allergic to the word "disabled" - fuck that, I can do all sorts of nifty shit). At the same time, when it comes to people like Phred, I like to think there's crazy and then there's Crazy. Like, dear Phred is a fucking nutjob. That doesn't mean I'm equating him with the many lovely people I personally know with mental health challenges. He doesn't deserve to polish their shoes.

and further - I wouldn't even call people with mental health problems 'crazy' or a 'nutjob' or (my favorite) 'flamingly batshit'. most of them are lovely people who are just a little quirky when compared to the so-called healthy ones. My neighbor is just that kind of quirky. I adore him; but I know very well his view of the world is very different than mine.

No, I reserve those crazy labels for people like Phred.

and his batshit daughter.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17022 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Inanna

Ship's redhead
# 538

- Posted      Profile for Inanna   Email Inanna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Libby Phelps, who has been out of the church for about four years, returned this past weekend to Topeka and stopped by the Rainbow Equality House that has been established opposite the Westboro Compound. I hope it was healing for her - it must have taken a lot of courage.

--------------------
All shall be well
And all shall be well
And all manner of things shall be well.

Posts: 1495 | From: Royal Oak, MI | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So they said they're going to picket the memorial service for Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman.

Link.

Leaving aside the fact that they aren't fit as to such much as kiss his old plectrums, some Slayer fans (and I say this as one and one who knows that there is a great diversity among us as to our relationship with violence) may take great exception to this.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3246 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
So they said they're going to picket the memorial service for Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman.

Link.

Leaving aside the fact that they aren't fit as to such much as kiss his old plectrums, some Slayer fans (and I say this as one and one who knows that there is a great diversity among us as to our relationship with violence) may take great exception to this.

I feel it necessary to ask a somewhat non-Hellish question here - Why? Just why?

It seems to me that Phelps and co. are so addicted to protesting and drawing attention to themselves that it doesn't seem to matter about having a reason to demonstrate anymore.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This PROVES their real litigious motivations. They want someone to lose their shit and violate their rights so they can sue. They think metal-heads have no control. Otherwise, what's the point?

What they fail to understand is that listening to metal eases our rage and gives us more control.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17022 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
This PROVES their real litigious motivations. They want someone to lose their shit and violate their rights so they can sue. They think metal-heads have no control. Otherwise, what's the point?

What they fail to understand is that listening to metal eases our rage and gives us more control.

Yes, but what does Phelpsy feel is so wrong with heavy metal (over and against other genres of pop music) that he feels he has to protest? And protest against what exactly? What does he want?

Does he hope to be able to raise some money for his crumbling "church" empire by suing the (leather) pants off some aggressive metalhead?

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mark Betts:
quote:
I feel it necessary to ask a somewhat non-Hellish question here - Why? Just why?

It seems to me that Phelps and co. are so addicted to protesting and drawing attention to themselves that it doesn't seem to matter about having a reason to demonstrate anymore.

All roads lead to fags. [Paranoid]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21051 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@Bettsy

The guy died young. This is therefore the judgement of God on America. And it can only be because America isn't persecuting the gays enough. Because that's how God judges nations - if they're nice to the queers they're Bad. If they're nasty, they're Good.

[ 17. May 2013, 14:42: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17093 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Mark Betts:
quote:

All roads lead to fags. [Paranoid]
I wish!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

Posts: 47603 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Emily Windsor-Cragg
Shipmate
# 17687

- Posted      Profile for Emily Windsor-Cragg   Author's homepage   Email Emily Windsor-Cragg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One doesn't need to join Hate in order to confront the reality of it.

I don't acquire AIDS by noting the suffering of its victims.

The victims of hate are sincere people caught in errors of judgment.

God is our Judge, but that doesn't mean He's everybody's Judge.

The Satanic ideology and mode is to remove the mistaken from among the "perfected."

Women in the middle ages who had problems supporting themselves without husbands had to confront their Churches' demands that they continue subservient to the Church Patriarchy.

In case you've never experienced this dilemma, it's very painful.

Westboro reflects society's TERROR OF AFFRONTING GOD by our behavior; it's the expectation that "we're going to have to reap what we sow according to the literal Ten Commandments." Never mind, simple Justice.

They take to a level where they are affronting the rest of us by their behavior.

Westboro people embarrass me, vividly. Let's not be afraid of that embarrassment. There are issues around "what is an appropriate society" that are not being handled lately ... by the Church.

Maybe that's their function in God's time: to wake us up to questions that are not being addressed by our vestries.

What do you think about that idea?

In faith, EEWC

Posts: 326 | From: California | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

Daw... You're so sweet!

Me? I think they're a bunch of evil douchebags who deserve to be sodomized With heavily barnacle-encrusted dock pilings.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

In addition (and more seriously) you have the start of a very Purgatorial discussion, there. Could be good. We're in Hell, you're not likely to get the engagement you're hoping for, here. Consider starting a thread in Purgatory; it will be much more satisfying.

comet
Hellhost

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emily Windsor-Cragg:

What do you think about that idea?

I don't know. My eyes glazed over after the first sentence.

--------------------
"People don’t become better when they’re dead; you just talk about them as if they are. But it’s not true! People are still arseholes, they’re just dead arseholes!” - Lemmy

Posts: 12769 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

So, some happy news!
I belong to a facebook group for bartenders (yes, it exists. And is awesome. We network, people. We're watching you...) and word went around that WBC was planning to picket the funerals of the Moore, OK kids who died in the tornado this week. The bartenders spread the word hard amongst the server world.

The result, according to our little network, is that WBC showed up but can't get a room, a meal, or gas anywhere in the greater OKC area. I'm so proud of my people!

A bunch turned up and bodily blocked the protest, as well.

--------------------

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's brilliant!

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5766 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

We keep strange hours, are often invisible to the public, but we are LEGION.

Word is the doubleyewbeeceers are getting four hots and a cot tonight courtesy of the state. OK requires a permit to stage a protest and they didnt get one. I can hear the lawsuits being filed from here.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Snigger]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21051 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And in Seattle for this summer, there's a new musical called "Stu for Silverton" about the time they showed up to picket a small town in Oregon where the locals had elected the transgendered long time resident mayor.

The counter protest was that most of the town people showed up in drag, men, women and children.

It'll be good to see a musical making fun of the Phelps crowd.

Posts: 2928 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Comet, I love your network!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3216 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Comet--

In one of his stories, Spider Robinson said something to the effect of "never piss off a librarian--they know stuff". Guess that applies to bartenders, too!

BTW, have you read Spider's "Callahan's" books? They take place in a very special bar.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 16758 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

"Callahan's Crosstime Salloon" is on the "read again forever and ever" shelf. Next to the Hobbit and Anguished English.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Smile]

I'll have to check out "Anguished English".

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"

Posts: 16758 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Well, the Westborians saw fit to put up a site against Oklahoma. And a hacktivist put it to good use.

(The site is down, now. The first link is to an article about it. The second is a Google cache of the hacked version. I can't find a cache of theoriginal.)

[Smile]

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
So, some happy news!
I belong to a facebook group for bartenders (yes, it exists. And is awesome. We network, people. We're watching you...) and word went around that WBC was planning to picket the funerals of the Moore, OK kids who died in the tornado this week. The bartenders spread the word hard amongst the server world.

The result, according to our little network, is that WBC showed up but can't get a room, a meal, or gas anywhere in the greater OKC area. I'm so proud of my people!

A bunch turned up and bodily blocked the protest, as well.

I just love it when the internet works as it should.
[Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
Fearfully and wonderfully mad

ن
blog

Posts: 8461 | From: Proxima b | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Girl, 5, Collects Hundreds Of Dollars For Peace Selling Lemonade Outside Westboro Baptist Church.
[Overused]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 8692 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"On Monday, Westboro members took things to a new low when they posted an anti-gay message on their marquee, reading: 'FAGS & ENABLERS ALL BURN IN HELL LEMONADE WON'T COOL ANY TONGUES.'"
[Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 8692 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

- Posted      Profile for Plique-à-jour     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, but the obnoxiousness of that is hilarious. It's exactly the response the sentimental photo op it responded to was intended to provoke, but that doesn't make it any the less funny. I hope tomorrow they put up 'WE GOT YOUR PEACE AND LOVE RIGHT HERE'.

--------------------
-

-

Posts: 333 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged
Indifferently
Shipmate
# 17517

- Posted      Profile for Indifferently     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not in the habit of unchurching people because I don't like their views, but these people don't strike me as being Christian at all. God doesn't hate anyone. God is Love.
Posts: 288 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Indifferently:
I am not in the habit of unchurching people because I don't like their views, but these people don't strike me as being Christian at all. God doesn't hate anyone. God is Love.

This from the poster who only a few hours ago was raving about "effemirate (sic) homosexuals", and who started an entire thread bemoaning the removal of references to "God's Holy wrath against sinners"?

Good God, the hypocrisy is staggering. You, Indifferently, are probably closer to the views of the Phelps clan than anyone else currently posting on this site!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 29484 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

- Posted      Profile for Vade Mecum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

This from the poster who only a few hours ago was raving about "effemirate (sic) homosexuals", and who started an entire thread bemoaning the removal of references to "God's Holy wrath against sinners"?
Good God, the hypocrisy is staggering. You, Indifferently, are probably closer to the views of the Phelps clan than anyone else currently posting on this site!

Ah, but the Phelps don't worship the 39 Articles, and are thus heretics to be cast into the outer darkness, where there is wailing, gnashing of teeth and effeminate homosexual immigrants worshipping statues of the Blessed Virgin. Like everyone else who isn't Indifferently, I suspect.

--------------------
I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Posts: 307 | From: North London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You are in no position to unchurch anyone. Don't get above yourself, sunshine.

--------------------
If someone takes a shot at President Trump will his bodyguards shout "Donald Duck"?

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doesn't this put Indifferently in the same category as EE (late of this parish or on shore leave? Who knows?) as the only two people who can effectively start a "Calling X to Hell thread" about themselves merely by posting on an existing Hell thread about something else?

'Tis a mighty achievement.

--------------------

Indifferently
Shipmate
# 17517

- Posted      Profile for Indifferently     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What? How are my beliefs remotely similar to theirs? Do they believe in infant baptism? Do they even use a canonically authorized version of the Book of Common Prayer?

How can God hate homosexuals when it is quite clear from the liturgical materials that we say, Almighty and everlasting God, WHO HATEST NOTHING THAT THOU HAST MADE,... does not get any clearer than that.

If God hated any part of his creation he would not have made it. God is incapable of evil. This is very basic Christian theology.

As for you Karl, I do not "worship" the Thirty Nine Articles, I merely subscribe to them.

Posts: 288 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
What? How are my beliefs remotely similar to theirs? Do they believe in infant baptism? Do they even use a canonically authorized version of the Book of Common Prayer?

They are matters of doctrine, hardly of belief.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well at least Indifferently thinks homosexuals are made. As in born that way? Guess that's something. I can't be arsed entering into the theological debate as to why God would create homosexuals only to then demand celibacy from them, which is where such notions lead. I reject the latter premise of course.

--------------------
The musical diary has been updated in praise of Paul Dempsey.

Posts: 17750 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

- Posted      Profile for Vade Mecum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I love that you think that you're completely protected from being at all like the hate-filled Phelps family because you use one of the authorised liturgies of one particular church. That really seems to sum you up, dear.

--------------------
I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Posts: 307 | From: North London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Is there anyone in your church but you?
Posts: 2928 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:

How can God hate homosexuals when it is quite clear from the liturgical materials that we say, Almighty and everlasting God, WHO HATEST NOTHING THAT THOU HAST MADE,... does not get any clearer than that.

If God hated any part of his creation he would not have made it. God is incapable of evil. This is very basic Christian theology.

As for you Karl, I do not "worship" the Thirty Nine Articles, I merely subscribe to them.

That was Marv. I'm not often mistaken for him. To help you out in future, I'm the one you'll disagree with on matters both theological and political; Marv you may find some political points of agreement because he's a Tory twit, which is odd, because he shows signs of clarity of thought on matters theological. [Biased]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indifferently, I am a Quaker, I am enjoined by my faith to seek that of God in everyone - where have you hidden yours, you sad fuck?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

Posts: 47603 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What? How are my beliefs remotely similar to theirs?

Hatred for homosexuality? Check. Stated emphasis on God's wrath? Check. Fundamentalist refusal to countenance any expression of Christianity that doesn't exactly match your own? Check. Giving nothing but disdain, contempt and abuse to said expressions? Check. Being a total donkey felcher who gleefully shits all over everything and everyone else in the world? Check. Being sorely in need of a damn good session with the rusty farm implement? Check.

Seems pretty similar to me.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 29484 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

That was Marv.
Actually, the 39 Articles bit was Vade Mecum.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Indifferently, I am a Quaker, I am enjoined by my faith to seek that of God in everyone - where have you hidden yours, you sad fuck?

All faith positions have their challenges. The providence of God is challenged by hunger. The beneficence of God is challenged by oppressive bastards the world over. You've now found yours.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

That was Marv.
Actually, the 39 Articles bit was Vade Mecum.
Oh yeah - so it was. I was viewing on a mobile and it must have done one of its random placement of text things.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

They believe that They are Right, and this implies that not-They are Wrong.

You seem to follow a similar principle.

Also, they are so far up their own assholes that they can no longer see how ridiculous they are. Something the CofE is trying their hardest to follow.

--------------------
Blog
My books for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18008 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

And that's a quote file moment.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016