homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Fod Hates Gags! The Westboro thread (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fod Hates Gags! The Westboro thread
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
surely Ignorantly can have his own thread? poor Phred is going to feel eclipsed.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's kinda nice to know that Phred has some friends, comet. Perhaps we should send him Ignoramus' email address?

But yeah, I agree with you.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Originally posted by Indifferently:
I am not in the habit of unchurching people because I don't like their views, but these people don't strike me as being Christian at all. God doesn't hate anyone. God is Love.

This from the poster who only a few hours ago was raving about "effemirate (sic) homosexuals", and who started an entire thread bemoaning the removal of references to "God's Holy wrath against sinners"?

Good God, the hypocrisy is staggering. You, Indifferently, are probably closer to the views of the Phelps clan than anyone else currently posting on this site!

What, you think only nice people are allowed to object to Phred? Guess what I found:

"The Ku Klux Klan, LLC. has not or EVER will have ANY connection with The "Westboro Baptist Church". We absolutely repudiate their tactics."
— Press release from the Ku Klux Klan's website, circa September 2003

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...the repudiated tactics being not wearing pointy bed sheets...or burning crosses on lawns...or blowing up churches...

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:
Originally posted by Indifferently:
What? How are my beliefs remotely similar to theirs? Do they believe in infant baptism? Do they even use a canonically authorized version of the Book of Common Prayer?

They believe that They are Right, and this implies that not-They are Wrong.

You seem to follow a similar principle.

Also, they are so far up their own assholes that they can no longer see how ridiculous they are. Something the CofE is trying their hardest to follow.

Hey, don't put us all in the same boat. Not all of us are complete wankers.

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
tessaB - the CofE as a body, I meant. Not necessarily all of its members. Given that I was one until 18 months ago, I know there are some good ones.

The structure and system, OTOH, is up its own ass. There are parts of the CofE that are almost as blind and rigid as WBC.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Indifferently
Shipmate
# 17517

- Posted      Profile for Indifferently     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
tessaB - the CofE as a body, I meant. Not necessarily all of its members. Given that I was one until 18 months ago, I know there are some good ones.

The structure and system, OTOH, is up its own ass. There are parts of the CofE that are almost as blind and rigid as WBC.

Running enough I agree. We are on the verge of apostasy.
Posts: 288 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think what you view as apostasy is not necessarily what I would view as apostasy [Razz]

--------------------
tessaB
Holiday cottage near Rye

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
S-Cat - I double-dog dare you to call Anglicanism/the CofE to Hell. First, to get this dumbass tangent off my tidy little WBC thread, but secondly (and most importantly) said Hell call has the potential of being the Hellhost equivalent of the Playoffs.

Do it do it do it Do It DO IT DOITDOIT! Whataya Scared? Let's see that OP, make 'em weep! DO IT!

meanwhile, let's get back to hatin' on Phreddy and the clan, shall we?

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
S-Cat - I double-dog dare you to call Anglicanism/the CofE to Hell. First, to get this dumbass tangent off my tidy little WBC thread, but secondly (and most importantly) said Hell call has the potential of being the Hellhost equivalent of the Playoffs.

Do it do it do it Do It DO IT DOITDOIT! Whataya Scared? Let's see that OP, make 'em weep! DO IT!

meanwhile, let's get back to hatin' on Phreddy and the clan, shall we?

Do you have any idea what that would do? The conservative wing of the CofE would hold the liberals responsible for dragging their church hellwards while the liberals would accuse the Evo's of the same thing. Meanwhile the Tat queens would argue about what should be worn when processing to The Underworld.

Great idea! Bring it on!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And the liberal tat queens? Do we get to have arguments with ourselves? March ourselves into the bowels of the underworld? That could be hellish confusing......

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FooloftheShip:
And the liberal tat queens? Do we get to have arguments with ourselves? March ourselves into the bowels of the underworld? That could be hellish confusing......

You argue with the Fundies in Frocks crowd about who the real Anglo Catholics are, obviously.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks like there really is scope for Anglicans to run their own self-destructive thread.

Do you hear me?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Sioni said to back up comet. Goes triple for me too.

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are pools of drool leaking out of my monitor... (backs away nervously)

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was quite interested to see this clip of a couple of Westboro chaps on Russell Brand's chat show, and noticed no-one's linked to it yet. I really like the way that Brand approaches & deals with them in his questions and comments.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:

I hope you fuckers are proud of what you've unleashed.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

OMG yes! it's like Christmas! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

I didn't expect someone from The Plot to join the gallery.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by goperryrevs:
I was quite interested to see this clip of a couple of Westboro chaps on Russell Brand's chat show, and noticed no-one's linked to it yet. I really like the way that Brand approaches & deals with them in his questions and comments.

It almost seemed as though there were traces of a human sense of humour in them...
Were they really truly from there, or some actors pretending?

Rafin
Apprentice
# 17713

- Posted      Profile for Rafin   Email Rafin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The best counter protest of the WBC was when people showed up for a zombie apocalypse. Here is a link to an article if you want a good chuckle.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/29/westboro-baptist-church_n_1717142.html

Posts: 21 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rumour has it the tossbags from WBC are going to be turning up here for the funerals of the firefighters killed yesterday on the Yarnell Hill Fire. We have a law against political protests at funerals in Arizoa, so I hope the sheriff has the jailhouse cleared out.

The b*****ds get what they deserve.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps someone could spray them with a garden hose, to "help protect them" from wild fires?

(ONLY intended as a joke. NOT suggesting it actually be done.)

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Garden hose? How about a high pressure fire hose? They wouldn't need airline tickets to go back to their lair.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Skipped the high pressure hose because of its use against peaceful protesters in the African-American civil rights movement. Have seen pics.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Well, so have I. In real time on TV, as it happened.

Who ever said I had to be nice to Phred and his cronies?

--------------------

Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find it more satisfactory to imagine what would happen if the local birds somehow discovered that certain colors of signs are quite tasty...
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Pete--

Never said you had to be nice! [Biased] Just explaining why I didn't use that idea.

Carex--

Or the birds decide the signs make lovely targets?

--------------------

Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That certainly might be a side effect of a flock of birds descending on their signs.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
quote:
Originally posted by goperryrevs:

It almost seemed as though there were traces of a human sense of humour in them...
Were they really truly from there, or some actors pretending?

It is the sad thing, yeah? Phred is seriously fucked in the head, but I think some of his followers are merely misguided.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anybody else see this? The White House has responded to various petitions on their website referencing the Phelps clan. They make the usual anodyne politico-speak about what they can, can't, and won't do. But they also make a really cool map of where Westboro is most hated. Check it out. [Smile]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Must be because all Dorothy's friends live in Kansas ...

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Best anti-Phelps protest so far.
What the Hell? I think I might actually like Satanists, now.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

AWW! I got all warm and fuzzy for the Satanists. THAT is a sentence I never thought I'd type.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

Oh. Holy. Shit. [Overused]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Wouldn't that be

Oh. Unholy. Shit.

?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, no, no, they can Satanist all they want, Jesus loves their hellacious little asses, I guarantee it.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Westboro Baptist church misspells "illiterate" on flyer

Just something funny.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Nicolemr: Westboro Baptist church misspells "illiterate" on flyer

Just something funny.

Even more funny because they followed up this word with "Can't you read?"

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They're after The Queen now.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really hate seeing the kidlets holding up the sign. Just heartbreaking.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found the fact that WBC contacted Pink News appalling. They are trying to be offensive, not just protesting.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Balaam--

Did you mean that WBCers are being offensive, or the Pink Mass folks??

--------------------

tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

I'm not a royalist but that is beyond the pale*. The poor woman has no choice really but to give her assent, not if she wants to keep her job.
Bloody people, leave her alone. It's our job to slag her off.

*Not, of course, that anything else they've done is not.

--------------------
tessaB
Holiday cottage near Rye

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Balaam--

Did you mean that WBCers are being offensive, or the Pink Mass folks??

WBC

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mogwai
Shipmate
# 13555

- Posted      Profile for Mogwai   Email Mogwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought this church had been outlawed.

--------------------
:love:

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

by whom? they are an american church and very well protected under our constitution.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

IMHO, the best chance of the church breaking up (or at least slowing down) will be when Fred dies.

That *could* revitalize the group, of course. But, given that family members keep escaping, maybe the remaining folks will be tired when Fred dies, and take a break.

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
IMHO, the best chance of the church breaking up (or at least slowing down) will be when Fred dies.

That *could* revitalize the group, of course. But, given that family members keep escaping, maybe the remaining folks will be tired when Fred dies, and take a break.

Maybe, maybe not. But I think there will be no shortage of parties celebrating his demise.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016