homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Fod Hates Gags! The Westboro thread (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fod Hates Gags! The Westboro thread
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To give the late Fred a little credit, his life and longevity might be helpful in drawing attention to exceptions to Charles Darwin's theories. The absence of successful predators is an interesting aspect of his life cycle, though it might be argued that ultimately, the predators were of his own species.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
The Rhythm Methodist
Shipmate
# 17064

- Posted      Profile for The Rhythm Methodist   Email The Rhythm Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2
This is a tangent, but I can't understand why someone living in London would feel obliged to attend a church whose teachings they disagree with - the place is stuffed with churches of all kinds! The idea that one local church should be suitable for everyone in the vicinity is very outdated in a highly pluralistic urban environment, although it might work in a small homogeneous village.

This is probably my fault. I told him what I believed Christianity should look like, with the ascendancy of love over judgmentalism. Further, that we all fall short and that - ultimately - we need to lay everything on the altar, but that is a transaction between ourselves and God, and cannot successfully be imposed by others...least of all, by those who haven't even come close to 'sinless perfection' themselves. I see Christianity as a process whereby we become true disciples, and respond to that by offering God every aspect of our lives. A church should be enabling people to become such followers of Christ, where every action and thought is willingly held up to God for his approval, or otherwise.

As a pastor, I see my job as helping people to build the kind of relationship with God wherein they will naturally want to meet his requirements in all things. I don't think it is helpful to belabour people with proof-texts, especially when I so often fall short myself, in so many ways. And if God indeed has a problem with my friends expression of his sexuality, I'm absolutely sure he has an equal problem with the garbage in my own life.

I may have led him to believe this attitude is the norm in Christianity - rather than just my own interpretation of how it should be. If so, perhaps he is waiting for this church to start seeing him as someone who Christ willingly gave his life for, rather than as someone who they identify by a sin which (in their view) seems to be only technically forgivable. Perhaps the truth of the situation is, though, that they actually need him to be there!

Posts: 202 | From: Wales | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This might be a tangent, but I have a good friend who is a militant atheist, who believes religion in general, and Christianity in particular, is responsible for almost all the problems of the world. Although straight he is strongly homo-friendly, and cites persecution of gays as one of Christianity's greatest failings; in fact he posts almost daily on Facebook about various incidents that prove his point.

Personally he is delighted about Phelps' death, but he is also deeply impressed at the general Christian reaction to the news (such as this) and saying as much publicly. It's had a pretty big effect on him, I reckon.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rhythm Methodist:
This is probably my fault. I told him what I believed Christianity should look like, with the ascendancy of love over judgmentalism.

If you put it like that then yes, you were probably remiss in not advising him what kind of church to look for. How would he know otherwise? Isn't it obvious that not all churches/denominations are just as you'd like them to be...? You must live in a very distinctive place if all of the neighbouring churches speak with one affirming voice on matters of sexuality.

quote:

Perhaps he is waiting for this church to start seeing him as someone who Christ willingly gave his life for, rather than as someone who they identify by a sin which (in their view) seems to be only technically forgivable. Perhaps the truth of the situation is, though, that they actually need him to be there!

Maybe they do! Changing churches from within is one strategy. OTOH, my sense is that the more affirming and tolerant churches currently have a greater need of members and commitment than the conservative ones do, even though the latter are often more inviting by virtue of their dynamism and sense of togetherness.

As for Mr Phelps, his church is apparently quite small. Perhaps the overriding message of his life's work is that a church doesn't need to be large or even 'loving' to draw attention to itself. What it needs is a flair for PR. This isn't precisely the message he wanted to get across (!) but it's the most interesting one, IMO. Even the friendliest congregation would do well to reflect on that.

[Eek!]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
[ Maybe the background muzak might consist of a loop of the Pet Shop Boys,

Steady on Passer - some things I wouldn't even inflict on Fred Phelps.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have some questions/comments.

All I know about this man is what I have read from his critics - and the 'God hates Fags' thing (shocking!)

Can I ask:
- How many people were in the congregation?
- What church affiliation is this 'Baptist' church? i.e. does it have a headquarters to which it is accountable?
- I read in Huff that this church doesn't have funerals or memorial services because they don't 'worship the dead' (bizarre statement to make!)
- Apart from the deplorable 'GHF' thing and the boycotting of funerals, how different is this man's view of homosexual sexual behaviour any different to the traditional Christian view (whether one agrees with it or not)?

And if they are just a small church; if they are not exactly orthodox; if they have beliefs and practices that would put them out of the mainstream, why on earth have we been so outraged by him?
It's not like he was 'one of us'? So why have we allowed him to become a grotesque 'cause celebre' within the church? It beats me why we even pretended that he was 'ours' and therefore had a duty to attack him in order to defend the rest of the church!

We should have merely ignored him, made no comment, except maybe to say 'yup, he's just a weird American crank who is not recognised as a Christian church - so don't come complaining to us!'

Why have we assumed responsibility for him and made him a target as if he was damaging us?
We should have dismissed him and his vile family as a small cult and entirely turned our backs on him.

[ 23. March 2014, 15:45: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
And if they are just a small church; if they are not exactly orthodox; if they have beliefs and practices that would put them out of the mainstream, why on earth have we been so outraged by him?

Because he picketed funerals of people who had nothing whatsoever to do with homosexuality, such as soldiers, holding signs saying that God is happy they died. He attacked people (the survivors at a funeral) when they were at their most vulnerable and pained. He was outrageous and an asshole of such a high order that he needs his own category.

quote:
It's not like he was 'one of us'? So why have we allowed him to become a grotesque 'cause celebre' within the church? It beats me why we even pretended that he was 'ours' and therefore had a duty to attack him in order to defend the rest of the church!
If we want to live behind our walls of safety and not encounter the world that we are meant to evangelize, such a position could be defended. But when he becomes a de facto spokesman for Christianity in the eyes of the secular culture, Christians need to counter his position as such, and distance the faith from him.

quote:
We should have merely ignored him, made no comment, except maybe to say 'yup, he's just a weird American crank who is not recognised as a Christian church - so don't come complaining to us!'
I don't think you understand the media if you think this.

quote:
Why have we assumed responsibility for him and made him a target as if he was damaging us?
Because he was damaging us.

quote:
We should have dismissed him and his vile family as a small cult and entirely turned our backs on him.
We did turn our backs on him. But it was necessary to do it publicly.

[ 23. March 2014, 15:54: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think he was dreadful but I have to say i only knew about him because of the criticism that was levelled against him.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think he was dreadful but I have to say i only knew about him because of the criticism that was levelled against him.

You're not in the US, though, are you? I think that makes a big difference.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

I am not certain it does. He represented an extreme of a very common view. That God does not approve of homosexuals. Saying God loves you but doesn't approve of your lifestyle might be softer, but is it better?
So Fred forced the question to the surface and I think his effect was more widespread than his telly presence.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

That's true. About 90% of all I have seen about the WBC has been on or via The Ship. AFAIK the the WBC never picketed any military funerals in the UK.

The main difference between Fred Phelps & co and the most vehement anti-gay Christian preachers elsewhere is that he never advocated "loving the sinner". He was all for hating the sin and hating the sinner too. That put him and the WBC out of the mainstream and off the fringe for that matter too.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
I am not certain it does. He represented an extreme of a very common view. That God does not approve of homosexuals. Saying God loves you but doesn't approve of your lifestyle might be softer, but is it better?

Better in what sense? Saying "God loves you but hates your sin" and "God hates you, hates the military, hates the USA" isn't a difference in kind or presentation. It's a difference in core message.

ETA: There was not even any "unless you repent." It was simply, "God hates you. Period."

[ 23. March 2014, 16:30: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have some questions/comments.
... It's not like he was 'one of us'? So why have we allowed him to become a grotesque 'cause celebre' within the church? It beats me why we even pretended that he was 'ours' and therefore had a duty to attack him in order to defend the rest of the church! ... Why have we assumed responsibility for him and made him a target as if he was damaging us? ...

I'll tell you why (or rather, I'll just let you tell us why):
quote:
Also posted by Mudfrog in the same post:
... - Apart from the deplorable 'GHF' thing and the boycotting of funerals, how different is this man's view of homosexual sexual behaviour any different to the traditional Christian view (whether one agrees with it or not)? ...

Mudfrog, you answered your own question. The "traditional Christian" view is that Fod hates gags and so Phelps is one of you All that's left is for "traditional Christians" to say that they would never do such things, since they obviously can't say they don't believe such things. And news flash: Phelps isn't the only homophobe damaging the church, he's just the most recently dead one.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
anne
Shipmate
# 73

- Posted      Profile for anne   Email anne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
quote:

That's true. About 90% of all I have seen about the WBC has been on or via The Ship. AFAIK the the WBC never picketed any military funerals in the UK.

At least partly, this might be because we didn't let him in.
bbc report

anne

--------------------
‘I would have given the Church my head, my hand, my heart. She would not have them. She did not know what to do with them. She told me to go back and do crochet' Florence Nightingale

Posts: 338 | From: Devon | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:

quote:
Also posted by Mudfrog in the same post:
... - Apart from the deplorable 'GHF' thing and the boycotting of funerals, how different is this man's view of homosexual sexual behaviour any different to the traditional Christian view (whether one agrees with it or not)? ...

Mudfrog, you answered your own question. The "traditional Christian" view is that Fod hates gags and so Phelps is one of you All that's left is for "traditional Christians" to say that they would never do such things, since they obviously can't say they don't believe such things. And news flash: Phelps isn't the only homophobe damaging the church, he's just the most recently dead one.
This is the core of the problem - when the CofE makes its statements about homosexuals, the assumption is that this puts them - and Christianity - actually agree with his views, even if not with his actions.

It is fine to dismiss them as just a lunatic fringe, until you realise that they are just more lunatic than other Christian groups. It is one of the problems that the church often faces, that the general public perception is nothing like as nuanced as most theologians would consider it.

Bear in mind this is the public who couldn't differentiate between a pedophile and a pediatrician. Don't expect them to differentiation between "We don't consider that homosexual relationships are the ideal" and "God Hates Fags".

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

quote:
The main difference between Fred Phelps & co and the most vehement anti-gay Christian preachers elsewhere is that he never advocated "loving the sinner". He was all for hating the sin and hating the sinner too. That put him and the WBC out of the mainstream and off the fringe for that matter too.

In practical terms the main difference betwixt Phelps and the homophobic mainstream is that he didn't engage in the usual polite hypocrisy and that he was daft enough to think that picketing military funerals after 9/11 would turn US opinion against homosexuality. It was a classic example of Conquest's Law. Assume that any organisation has been taken over by a cabal of it's enemies. If Elton John, Peter Tatchell and Gene Robinson had got together over a few brewskies and discussed how they could discredit the forces of homophobia, they might well have come up with the WBC.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

Bear in mind this is the public who couldn't differentiate between a pedophile and a pediatrician. Don't expect them to differentiation between "We don't consider that homosexual relationships are the ideal" and "God Hates Fags".

Christianity is stuffed then, because Jesus disliked a great many things although he supposedly didn't hate everyone who did them.

Perhaps Christianity is just too subtle for a theologically incurious soundbite-driven age. Or perhaps it's basically an incohesive religion that was always destined to fall apart.

Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

- Posted      Profile for Horatio Harumph     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:

I hope that when this thread eventually withers, it is retained in Limbo as a tribute to the level of ire he succeeded in generating - universally, not just here.

Will it wither? He might be dead, but his church isn't.

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Chocolate is proof that God wants us to be happy.

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed. The church had already disowned Fred before he died and continues to be as vile as ever.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
Christianity is stuffed then, because Jesus disliked a great many things although he supposedly didn't hate everyone who did them.

But the message that Jesus had was loving everyone. The odd subtleties of "love the sinner, hate the sin" is not the message. The simpler message we should be giving out is that God and we love people.

And all the other stuff that you claim is so important to understand, I suspect God doesn't really give a shit about. If we stop fussing on the niceties, and let people work it out with God, everyone will be a lot happier.

Except those who really want a god who hates people.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

TBH, I don't know what's really all that important to understand when it comes to Christianity. I don't read much theology because it seems not to matter, but OTOH our churches do spend lots of time and money on churning out highly trained specialists in theology. It's a bit of a contradiction, really.

I suppose the problem with making it all about love is that so few of us are particularly good at loving everyone, so it's just easier to focus on doctrines, etc.

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Indeed. The church had already disowned Fred before he died and continues to be as vile as ever.

Why did they disown him?

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
quote:

Why did they disown him?
Word on the street was that he called for the church to be more forgiving of its own members. (per his estranged son; not sure how he got his information)

--------------------

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Why did they disown him?
Word on the street was that he called for the church to be more forgiving of its own members. (per his estranged son; not sure how he got his information)
One of his estranged sons there are at least two. He probably got it from other members of the church who have also left but who have some back channel connections to people still in the church (or perhaps have left the church very recently). It is notable that Fred Phelps daughter, Shirley Phelps-Roper, had been replaced as spokesperson of the church by Steve Drain, someone who actually joined the church rather than be born into it, about the time of the supposed excommunication which may be outward evidence of a power struggle.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
TBH, I don't know what's really all that important to understand when it comes to Christianity. I don't read much theology because it seems not to matter, but OTOH our churches do spend lots of time and money on churning out highly trained specialists in theology. It's a bit of a contradiction, really.

I suppose the problem with making it all about love is that so few of us are particularly good at loving everyone, so it's just easier to focus on doctrines, etc.

The idea that theology doesn't matter boggles the mind, quite frankly. Theology is just seeking to understand God. Why wouldn't you want to read things that could help that? [Ultra confused]

Theology informs the Christian faith so much, it is extremely important. I don't necessarily mean very cerebral theology - it is much wider than that.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Net Spinster:
One of his estranged sons there are at least two.

True. I was sloppy.

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gildas:

quote:

In practical terms the main difference betwixt Phelps and the homophobic mainstream is that he didn't engage in the usual polite hypocrisy and that he was daft enough to think that picketing military funerals after 9/11 would turn US opinion against homosexuality. It was a classic example of Conquest's Law. Assume that any organisation has been taken over by a cabal of it's enemies. If Elton John, Peter Tatchell and Gene Robinson had got together over a few brewskies and discussed how they could discredit the forces of homophobia, they might well have come up with the WBC.
Indeed. Phred did for the gay rights movement what Lester Maddox, Bull Connor, and the Klan did for the civil rights movement in the '60s--they made it impossible for anyone to be a moderate segregationist (or, more precisely, they made the dishonesty of moderate segregationism--the claim to take "separate but equal" seriously and mean it sincerely--so obvious that the middle ground vanished. And good riddance.) The choice between equality and bigotry became crystal clear.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
I don't read much theology because it seems not to matter, but OTOH our churches do spend lots of time and money on churning out highly trained specialists in theology. It's a bit of a contradiction, really.

Actually, churches spend a lot of time and money on churning out highly trained specialists in church. WBC spent a lot of time and effort training its people in the WBC church belief.

Theology does matter, because understanding theology is the way of countering the WBC hate.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Why did they disown him?
One of his estranged sons there are at least two. He probably got it from other members of the church who have also left but who have some back channel connections to people still in the church (or perhaps have left the church very recently). It is notable that Fred Phelps daughter, Shirley Phelps-Roper, had been replaced as spokesperson of the church by Steve Drain, someone who actually joined the church rather than be born into it, about the time of the supposed excommunication which may be outward evidence of a power struggle.
So someone joins, and immediately is in a position to oust the founder? Now that is extraordinary.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
So someone joins, and immediately is in a position to oust the founder? Now that is extraordinary.

It probably hasn't happened before.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
The idea that theology doesn't matter boggles the mind, quite frankly. Theology is just seeking to understand God. Why wouldn't you want to read things that could help that? [Ultra confused]

Theology informs the Christian faith so much, it is extremely important. I don't necessarily mean very cerebral theology - it is much wider than that.

Of course, it could be said that everything we think, do and say as Christians is theological. But focused theological reflection and exploration seem not be particularly encouraged among the laity. It's all a matter of personal inclination and interest - which to my mind suggests that 'the church' isn't really too bothered.

As a Methodist a lot of my mainstream theology has come through singing, of course, but what I choose to read doesn't come with any official label of approval. I suppose I'll have to apply to be a local preacher if I want a reading list!

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's Cat:
Theology does matter, because understanding theology is the way of countering the WBC hate.

This is why churches should do more to encourage theological thought and exploration among their members. If it matters it should be strongly encouraged.
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Perhaps there's going to be a change of direction. After all, the Scientologists seem to have generated a decent income peddling quackery, and in these straitened times, one has to seek out whatever business opportunities one can.

Starting a business from scratch is a major undertaking with huge challenges. There is funding to find, customers to attract, a reputation to establish, and then a lengthy wait for the financial rewards.

Buying an existing business is becoming an increasingly popular option for people who don't want to start from scratch. The business is likely to have an established market presence and revenue stream, which represents a head start....

It'll be interesting to see where they go from here. The "credibility" of their existing MO is a bit of a busted flush, what with having excommunicated their founder and all, but there's a considerable pool of gullible happy-clappers available who love a good public repentance to rejoice in and cling to (i.e. fund). One just has to come up with an appealing message to use as bait, and slot it into an existing framework.

© conspiraciesЯus

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well not immediately. The person in question joined with his family in about 2000.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it time for the use of Draino™?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Well not immediately. The person in question joined with his family in about 2000.
Ah, right - misread the taking over as leader as joining. Must read more carefully. Mind you. I'm surprised all those highly trained lawyer types didn't spot what was afoot. There's going to be issues about who owns the assets.
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today's edition of The Times has an obituary for Fred Phelps...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
RevMotherRaphael
Apprentice
# 18102

- Posted      Profile for RevMotherRaphael   Email RevMotherRaphael   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if the WBC would consider someone senselessly murdering members of their 'church' as God's revenge or a 'God Smack' as they so call such events?
Posts: 42 | From: Why Heaven, of course, with all of you! | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to Hell, RevMum. I do hope you read the board guidelines and strapped on your armor before joining us. We're a fractious, sucker-punching lot. Any post in Hell can and will be taken in the worst possible light, and force-fed back to you with a side of bile and bitterness.

Though, admittedly, the WBC are the ultimate low-hanging fruit so you're probably relatively safe slagging them off.

Still, enjoy the smell of brimstone and watch yer ass!

comet
Hellhost

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
RevMotherRaphael
Apprentice
# 18102

- Posted      Profile for RevMotherRaphael   Email RevMotherRaphael   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Charming. Though I am not a typical cloistered nun, that is as nasty as I will get, thank you.
Posts: 42 | From: Why Heaven, of course, with all of you! | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by RevMotherRaphael:
Charming. Though I am not a typical cloistered nun, that is as nasty as I will get, thank you.

Believe me, that really is about as charming as Hell posts get. A short, sharp and accurate Hell 101 for you.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

RevMotherRaphael
Apprentice
# 18102

Shall avoid Hell in this life and the next.
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's no requirement to be nasty when you post in Hell. However, if you're going to post in Hell (regardless of the nasty or non-nasty tone your posts may take), it helps to understand how the Hell board operates.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate all of you for denying me nun tears. Delicious delicious nun tears.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
greedy. you'd think all the weeping orphans would have satisfied you.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We could console him with nun buns (see second image down).

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fred may be dead and gone (good riddnce), but Westbro carries on. Nice to see the counter demonstration.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Westboro Baptist Church supports Gay rights! Well, inadvertently.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why am I not surprised that these creeps are planning to picket Robin Williams' funeral? (Apparently for starring in what I think is the funniest movie ever made.)
[Mad]

But... Love Overshadows Westboro Baptist Church's Plan to Protest Robin Williams Funeral.
[Overused]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I have decided to follow @WBSSays on twitter, for the purpose of seeing what they are planning next.

It is funny. I mean, they don't do twitter well, of course. And I will unfollow soon, when I am bored.

Ferguson is caused by something or other that they hate. Three times last night they mentioned this.

Oh, and they are delighted to have huge numbers of followers. Clearly they haven't seen twitter destroy someone yet.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you kidding me? People will rip them apart and they'll take it as validation of their mission, as an affirmation of what they do. You can't do what they do for that long without being at least somewhat delusional.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016