homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Difficult relatives (Page 39)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  ...  45  46  47 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Difficult relatives
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And we return again to my family. My mother told me a few weeks ago that she'd stopped taking her asthma medication because she had seen a homoeopathist and their voodoo bullshit had cured her asthma. I said that she should keep an inhaler to hand just in case as a result of homeopathy being complete and utter keech and a waste of time, money and a fraud on science.

Last weekend she phoned and I could tell instantly from her breathing that she had a chest infection, something she has regularly. I suggested she nip to the doctor and get some antibiotics but no, her local friendly bullshit salesman had given her some water with memory and she would be cured.

Three am Friday morning I get a phone call telling me she's being taken to hospital in an ambulance with chest pains. Funnily enough the sugar pill supplier doesn't do emergency call outs. I spend most of the night and following morning in a state of panic, feeling every one of the 500 miles between us. Finally I get a call to say that it's pleurisy and because her blood pressure was something ridiculous she was being kept in.

She's still in hospital but she wants to go and see the bullshit fraudster to get 'treatment' for her blood pressure.

Now frankly this is all her own fucking fault. Homeopathy is shite. Her asthma meds have kept her going most of her life. She knew she had a chest infection and a few quid worth of amoxicillin and prednisone would have sorted it but no, because she's a stubborn arsehole she's cost the NHS a shed load of money by now, put her family through masses of stress and she still doesn't fucking get it.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I blame the Queen.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
My experience is that there is little practical value in vilifying people.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Really.

[Killing me]

[ 22. May 2016, 12:51: Message edited by: mdijon ]

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to be clear - whatsherface totally did a kick-ass rant, and I'd like to applaud it. Venting is good. It's just that venting has no reason to be objective, and I got sucked into the dialectic about objectivity.

To be even more clear - this board is mostly for entertainment. And while I do not think there is practical value in vilifying people, I do think there is entertainment value in it.

Don't ask me how I know.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
. My mother told me a few weeks ago that she'd stopped taking her asthma medication because she had seen a homoeopathist and their voodoo bullshit had cured her asthma.

My favorite sentence in a long time. My ex-husband believes in all that and every time my son has lunch with him he comes home with a bag of mysterious half food, half medicine stuff, usually involving extra work for me. Most recently it meant a kitchen covered in chia seeds, the tiniest, hardest to remove seeds in the whole world. The grout between the tiles should be quite healthy now.

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chive, my heart goes out to you about your problem with your mother. I wanted to say, too, that your post at the top of this page is almost poetry. You express your frustration, the injustice and difficulty of the situation, and the shiteness of quack healthcare sublimely.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[tangent]
I thought that, by definition, Hell is not a board you enter in the expectation of it being a safe space.
[/tangent]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A safe space to be 'unsafe' in, perhaps?

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This.

This is not a space for asking for, or giving advice. This is space for howling at the moon.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...nor a space for applauding gracious behaviour, but this

quote:
Oh alright then, you guys are probably right...

...and what followed, was gracious.

Amy, I have enough family history along those lines to empathise and to share your trepidation. Good Luck.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
{{{{{chive}}}}}

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
This is not a space for asking for, or giving advice. This is space for howling at the moon.

Well, unless that advice is deeply personal and potentially offensive. In which case, this is the only board on which to give it.

The howls in the dark during the full moon are great ambiance, but they are purely background for the scarier words uttered around the flickering fires of discussion.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chive:
but no, because she's a stubborn arsehole she's cost the NHS a shed load of money by now, put her family through masses of stress and she still doesn't fucking get it.

Maybe she does get it and quite likes the attention she's received and the anxiety she's provoked during this episode. An added bonus for her is a belief system that she can continue to get the rest of you wound up over even after the emergency episode is resolved.

[ 23. May 2016, 04:56: Message edited by: mdijon ]

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:

The howls in the dark during the full moon are great ambiance, but they are purely background for the scarier words uttered around the flickering fires of discussion. [/QUOTE]

Flickering fires of discussion? Surely you mean the fiendfire* of contentious rant?

*CF the fiendfire in Harry Potter - it could destroy Horcruxes.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
AmyBo
Shipmate
# 15040

- Posted      Profile for AmyBo   Email AmyBo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry about your mom, Chive; it sounds pretty horrible.

I know this isn't All Saints, I just came on here earlier to rant so I wouldn't dump it on my mom. Even telling friends or relatives, it could have gotten back to her. She's still a fucking idiot who knows better due to her profession prior to retirement, but the few posts on how to protect myself really did help, so bonus and thank you!

Twilight, thank you. I am sorry I upset you so much. I agree that the C word is horrible. As a rule, I don't use it and challenge it, but I still think my mom earned it.

Posts: 122 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks AmyBo, I bet she did deserve it, especially considering the education bit.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AmyBo:
Sorry about your mom, Chive; it sounds pretty horrible.

I know this isn't All Saints, I just came on here earlier to rant so I wouldn't dump it on my mom. Even telling friends or relatives, it could have gotten back to her. She's still a fucking idiot who knows better due to her profession prior to retirement, but the few posts on how to protect myself really did help, so bonus and thank you!

Twilight, thank you. I am sorry I upset you so much. I agree that the C word is horrible. As a rule, I don't use it and challenge it, but I still think my mom earned it.

I totally get the concept of hyperventilating into the paper bag of this thread before your mouth gets the better of you.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am right in the middle of Stepping on Eggshells Land.
Really want to say what i think; i really really really do. But it won't help anything and it will only haul back up the Cold War Border Scenario that our family has been living in for the past few years.

What i want to say and obviously have not is
"For God Alone's sake stop throwing your weight around and being a dick. I can't stand your nonsense either online or to my face. Stop telling me what to do and start being a ruddy human being. Quit the funny haha comments and the backstabbing fuckery. It wasn't great then and it's not helpful now. Radio Silence really is preferable to diatribes of insinuations and double talk and i remember now (with clarity that hurts) JUST why i kept my distance. Were i not Having to do this, i would be contemplating a clear horizon and sitting in silence. Can't you at last try to understand that some of us do not operate at your so-called level? Some of us do not even Want to work hard and play hard? Some of us use words like please and thank you. Try it one day. It really does help.
Instead we all have to listen to what amounts to a pneumatic drill going through our brains on a daily basis.
Please Be Quiet.
Please stop barking out your orders coz i am not one of your underlings at work.
Please use our fecking names.....you know....the ones that we all grew up using . Don't use cheap potshot crap snide comments instead of actual names. It's not funny. It's not clever. And it's not helpful.
Stop telling us what is and is not going to happen. You are not the person who decides this. So stop.
And while I'm about it, quit upsetting the Very People who DO get to decide about this difficult time in all our lives. Alienate Them and we're up up the swanny without a fecking paddle in sight.

I do actually love you very much indeed. But please stop trying to making it SO fucking hard"

Instead, i will no doubt say, " That would be one option"

truly don't know who i am the crossest with. Her. Or me.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chive:
And we return again to my family. My mother told me a few weeks ago that she'd stopped taking her asthma medication because she had seen a homoeopathist and their voodoo bullshit had cured her asthma. I said that she should keep an inhaler to hand just in case as a result of homeopathy being complete and utter keech and a waste of time, money and a fraud on science.

Last weekend she phoned and I could tell instantly from her breathing that she had a chest infection, something she has regularly. I suggested she nip to the doctor and get some antibiotics but no, her local friendly bullshit salesman had given her some water with memory and she would be cured.

Three am Friday morning I get a phone call telling me she's being taken to hospital in an ambulance with chest pains. Funnily enough the sugar pill supplier doesn't do emergency call outs. I spend most of the night and following morning in a state of panic, feeling every one of the 500 miles between us. Finally I get a call to say that it's pleurisy and because her blood pressure was something ridiculous she was being kept in.

She's still in hospital but she wants to go and see the bullshit fraudster to get 'treatment' for her blood pressure.

Now frankly this is all her own fucking fault. Homeopathy is shite. Her asthma meds have kept her going most of her life. She knew she had a chest infection and a few quid worth of amoxicillin and prednisone would have sorted it but no, because she's a stubborn arsehole she's cost the NHS a shed load of money by now, put her family through masses of stress and she still doesn't fucking get it.

Dementia?

In the AS aging parents thread, I posted recently about adventures with dying people. I might if you wish your mother was dead?

My mother refused medical advice for years and it killed her. My parents had moved to Mexico in the mid-1980s for retirement tax avoidance. On their last visit to Canada - I shamed them into attending the wedding of my sister which was apparently inconvienent or something - she had what they call a "small stroke" or "transient ischemic attack". Lost the right side of her body. Rushed her to a mediclinic for drugs and then the stroke unit at hospital emergency. The drugs worked and the stroke cleared. They weren't done with her, they wanted an MRI and hospital stay. But they didn't have coverage on Canadian health care any more as nonresidents. So they together refused all and anything further. I gave the hospital a credit card number. I have never been so angry with them.

So back to Mexico they went after switching plane tickets to earlier. About a month later, she fell and broke her hip. The public health system in Mexico would do the surgery for free or the private cost would be about ~$40,000 US. They refused my money (interest is low on loans with a house as collateral), and she didn't have surgery for almost 3 weeks (which you're supposed to have within 48 hours for best health outcomes). Had another stroke and died.

The story continues with great difficulty shipping my father back to Canada after he lost the sight in one eye completely (nerve damage) and getting him a corneal transplant in the other. I have made my peace with him for helping kill my mother. I loved my inlaws better. Now of course, he's lonely and needy after repatriation.

I used to be an optimist. It's coming up 5 years (or is it 4 ot 6? I've repressed some things). Now I understand that we're all dancing out of step in a furnace of hatred and misfortune. Kiss the sensible and become cold to the stupid. Even if it kills them. I dunno.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Mili

Shipmate
# 3254

- Posted      Profile for Mili   Email Mili   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This article series about parents of estranged children who use forums was linked in the comments of a blog I follow. I thought it might interest people here who are estranged from or struggling to set boundaries with parents or close relatives. Some of the stories and examples will make you feel hellish. Down the Rabbit Hole: The world of estranged parents' forums
Posts: 1015 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was... Yikes.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hey Mili -

That's really helpful. Thanks for bothering to put that up.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yikes again. Very helpful reading though, and explains why I feel so sick around my sister in law. She's definitely shaping up to be an estranged parent. My second nephew is getting married later this year and his mum is becoming more and more worked up that he and his fiancée are leaving her out of the planning. After watching what happened with his older brother's wedding I can understand why. She threatened not to attend on the morning of the wedding because the mother of the bride was going to pay for the photographer. She'd talked about almost nothing else all week. I thought I'd entered a parallel universe. And no, I don't know what the problem was.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another post saying that that blog is incredibly helpful. I'm in the position of tolerating one parent's bullshit because I don't want to lose contact with the other one. It's really tough but this really is helping a lot.

I may yet get round to sharing a story here. Trouble is most of them wouldn't make any sense because there are now so many years of backstory and context!

--------------------
Our God is an awesome God. Much better than that ridiculous God that Desert Bluffs has. - Welcome to Night Vale

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend's mother has phoned me up about something else, but included in the call a negative comment about him. Followed by 'You're not to tell him. You told him last time I told you something.' Too right I did. How dare she try and bind me to her manipulative agenda with no choice! And he then stormed back down the road to the house and had words. Not too loud or nasty, but she was not at all happy.

She wants to present him as developing the first signs of dementia. Which may well be an attempt to divert attention from her own developing oddities, which I have seen.

So what do I do? If I say directly to her that if she doesn't want me to say things, she can bloody well keep her mouth shut about them, my friend will suffer the flak. If I tell him, there will be widely spread flak again.

What bloody right has anyone to bind someone to silence without choice?

[ 15. June 2016, 17:08: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you reply, "I won't promise anything"? This would put her on warning that you might tell, or you might not -- let her worry about it. Don't commit one way or the other no matter how she nags.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since the choice is flak and flak, I'd go ahead and tell her that if she doesn't want her son to hear about her saying negative things about him, she should stop saying them. To anyone. Maybe she'll huff off and you'll have some peace for a while.

[ 15. June 2016, 17:21: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After posting, it occurred to me that this is latest move in the 'Get rid of the other woman who will take my son away from me' game, which has been quiescent for a long time. Persuade me that he is not well...

Fat chance.

Also, squeezing anything into the 'conversation' gets very difficult - rather like having a conversation with Mrs Thatcher used to be for interviewers. what look like gaps aren't. This call slithered off into what is wrong with Jeremy Corbyn and Sadiq Khan, and I was reduced to using one of my mobile phones to call the other one in order to draw the call to an end! After 40 minutes.

I tell myself that she needs contact with people and the talking is helpful to her, but there are limits.

And my friend has too much to deal with anyway.

[ 15. June 2016, 18:35: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Had a second call. All about a missing person we looked for yesterday without success, and the buses he could have got on. Fortunately, I did not need a closing the call off event, as I couldn't do it twice.

This does seem to suggest that my nasty expectation that she would pull a disappearing trick herself won't happen, despite her having form in that direction. Ruined the New Year at the beginning of 2000 by going off along the bank of the Thames and leaving her son to panic. Tends to go out without mentioning where she is going and stay out later than anticipated. Three times this last week I have been lying awake waiting to be told she is home, and planning what I would do if she wasn't. Not that she knows that.

I got in a couple of comments about how it is a bit extreme to leave one's family to worry when trying to get over a setback in something concerned about. But she has seen the concern aroused.

And now I don't know who's on the other end of the phone.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a devious mind, so ignore this if it is not helpful. (It may be illegal in your area.) But there are tracking devices, for wandering elders as well as pets. If you could secrete such a device in her handbag, perhaps, where she will not notice it? I know that law enforcement can attach these things to cars, when they're tracking drug dealers and such. They're GPS-like, showing you where the tracker is on a map.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Consent is an issue. If you have Power of Attorney in social and medical matters, you may not need it. Otherwise, it's an invasion of privacy. Consult a lawyer before proceeding.

Saga page

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Consent is a major issue in her case about anything. POA would be impossible to set up. And she would spot any tracker. She knows her stuff intimately.

But it's a thought. So thanks.

Bus CCTV might well be useful. She knows bus routes like a guide book.

[ 16. June 2016, 07:47: Message edited by: Penny S ]

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank heavens for a place I can rant. A relative of my generation (no longer the youngest - we've been superseded by at least two generations more) sent me a vicious and untruthful email in which she rubbished our personal relationship, and informed me that I no longer belonged to the tribe. This, despite its hurtful intent, has a funny side, as I am only the latest in a long line of family who have experienced this treatment, have had enough of her behaviour, and don't want contact. So she has banished most of her tribe. Or they have banished her, whichever way you choose to look at it.

Am I dependent on her? Not at all, except that she was part of my emotional landscape, and can't be any longer. That is cause for mourning, as self protection advises staying well away from her in the future. 40+ years of batting for her within the family have been obliterated by one email. It's a sad fact that as we get older, the people who shared our history inevitably leave us in one way or another. This is one of the worst ways.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

For real.

Mom has been taunting me for the last two days that she hates Hillary so much she might vote for Trump. Two days she has been blaring the TV and leaving her bedroom door wide open. When he started full on screaming about a half hour ago, I snapped and stomped upstairs, asking her to shut the door.

And yes, this is exactly how she was through the Bush years-- when he was reelected, I came home to find every TV and radio in the house tuned to the coverage and her standing in the kitchen, waiting with a smirk.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Sorry, that should read, " Blaring the RNC convention coverage on the TV."

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gaslighters unite!

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's too soon after my beloved father's death [Votive] but at some point I will need to come back here with boots on about my insanely difficult mother. Gaslighting is only one aspect of the fucking shipwreck I now have to deal with.

--------------------
Older, bearded (but no wiser)

Posts: 477 | From: Brexit's frontline | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

RB - [Votive]

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't you get to watch the Democratic convention quietly? [Smile]
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Tell you what, if Hillary wins, I will dye my hair blonde, put on a blue Chanel suit, and wear it till Christmas.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

And if Donald wins? [Devil]

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly

Why a Chanel suit? Hillary doesn't wear one (would that she did), in fact the late Coco would spin in her grave if she thought anyone confused the polyester horrors worn by HC with a pukka Chanel suit.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

If she wore a Chanel suite the cry would immediately go up about how she was not Buying American, and how much did that designer thing cost anyway? She cannot win, and so I trust she doesn't give a damn.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Wow.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Are we really, again, talking about what the Woman Candidate wears and whether she meets our sartorial expectations? Really? Jeez. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

No kidding.

What I came here to write about was an interesting conversation I had with Momzilla that actually gave me huge insights on her Stuff, and allowed me to bond with and support her a bit, but fuck, I guess Witch-hexing Trump on my poor countrymen and pointing out my lack of designer knowledge are much more fun to discuss. On a thread about difficult relatives.

I'm sure if I go back far enough I will find I am related to Don and Hill somewhere along the line. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

What she said.

It's not that difficult to stay on topic on this thread, people. So let's give it the old college try.

DT
HH

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

Now, I'm mad on two counts: (1) I missed a chapter in the "The Masterly Manipulation of Mrs. Alves," for which I've already pre-ordered at Amazon, and (2) I find Chanel suits boxy and ugly.
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Easy question:
Do i open discussion with Difficult Relative?
Or do i let sleeping dogs lie.....

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ethne Alba:
Easy question:
Do i open discussion with Difficult Relative?
Or do i let sleeping dogs lie.....

Answer: Ask yourself why you want to do this. Do you want them to change or have you just had enough and Need to Say Something.

What are your expectations of the conversation? Most difficult relatives will not change however you dress it up.

Are you willing to deal with the fallout of the conversation with the difficult relative - however bad it may be? Not just with them, but with the wider family?

That may help decide whether or not it's worth it. Good luck!

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  ...  45  46  47 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016