homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Windows 10 (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Windows 10
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:

I have never used MS Office. At present I use OpenOffice - I have never found that I couldn't do what I needed to do.

I have cow-orkers who produce fancy excel spreadsheets with a whole pile of scripting and stuff, and expect me to be able to manipulate them. This forces me to have MS Office available.

Similarly, others expect me to be able to contribute a couple of powerpoint slides to their presentation, and Impress just isn't quite compatible enough.

Office aside, I think everything else I do day-to-day I could do with linux. The last time I seriously considered running linux on my work machine, I needed a set of compiler tools for a particular microprocessor that only existed on Windows, so I couldn't switch then, and I'm now stuck with my existing Windows 7 via inertia.

The machine will become obsolete before Windows 7 stops being supported - I'll see what happens then. A lot of the linux folks around here have gone Mac in the last few years, but I'm not terribly convinced.

Posts: 4893 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Often the location of the problem is Windoze.

And often the problem is the free program. Look, I am not an Office fan. There are many issues with it. But it is the standard. I use Open Office as well as MS Office, and I know which one is more powerful, which one I have fewer issues sharing documents with other people.

quote:

I have never used MS Office. At present I use OpenOffice - I have never found that I couldn't do what I needed to do.

I've never driven a Ferrari, but I'm quite certain my Robin Reliant is just as good.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 17082 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What do you need to do that Mint won't? (or another modern Linux distro)

Microsoft Office.

quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
some incompatibilities between MsOffice and Open Source versions if there is complex formatting.

Bingo.

quote:
Whenever someone says that opensource is not as good and they want to pay for something, who wants to quarrel anyway? Let them, they already know everything. Some want real ale, some prefer fizzy koolaid.

Oh please, grow the fuck up. Somebody doesn't agree with you so they're a childish blow-hard. Who's being the know-it-all here? Just you.

--------------------
“Religion doesn't fuck up people, people fuck up religion.”—lilBuddha

Posts: 63199 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I need to have OpenOffice because people send me stuff in docx and my old version of Windows won't open it.

And I don't do enough stuff in anything to justify the expense of upgrading.

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

And often the problem is the free program. Look, I am not an Office fan. There are many issues with it. But it is the standard. I use Open Office as well as MS Office, and I know which one is more powerful, which one I have fewer issues sharing documents with other people.

quote:

I've never driven a Ferrari, but I'm quite certain my Robin Reliant is just as good.

But the problem is, MS office isn't a Ferrari, and Open Office/Libre Office isn't a Reliant Robin. It's more like a Vauxhall Insignia v a Ford Mondeo. They are broadly similar, do similar things and in similar ways, but differ slightly in detail. Now I,personally, find Open Office a delight to use when compared with MS office. It's intuitive, with a comprehensible menu structure, and I've never experienced a file which MS Office will open that can't also be opened in Libre Office. (maybe MS Publisher - but I don't think normal Office will open those files either.)

But it's very much horses for courses. My thinking is that the two systems are of equal power, but some will choose one over the other, either way. Are there real practical advantages to MS Office, I'll take your word for it that there are, but I suspect aesthetic preferences have some say in things as well. I quite like the pared-back look of Libre, whilst, to my eyes, Office looks garish and somewhat clever-clever, with a lot of "because we can" about it. YMMV

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
But the problem is, MS office isn't a Ferrari, and Open Office/Libre Office isn't a Reliant Robin.

Hyperbole, but the general point remains.
MS Office is more powerful IME.
Yes, it is also a bit bloated.

I like reasonable choice.
I LOATHE the direction Adobe is going with there lease-only policy. But Photoshop is a superior product to GIMP.
Really don't understand why anyone thinks software should be free. Do they themselves do their own job for free?
It does not then follow that I think rapacious prices and monopolies are then good.

--------------------

Posts: 17082 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mousethief, I like you. But when they requested Office in my office, I priced it out. It was $ 8000 in licence fees. Libre Office cost nil. As a business owner, that's pretty significant. And that wasn't for the whole suite from MS just some of it. So I am fine with being a petulant idiot.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11159 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Mousethief, I like you. But when they requested Office in my office, I priced it out. It was $ 8000 in licence fees. Libre Office cost nil. As a business owner, that's pretty significant. And that wasn't for the whole suite from MS just some of it. So I am fine with being a petulant idiot.

I'm not a business owner. I'm a schoolteacher who needs to work with files from the district, and I'm a writer who needs to create print-ready documents for my POD print company. OpenOffice just doesn't cut it. Difference is, I don't go around gratuitously insulting people who don't come to the same conclusions that I do. I may not be the brightest knife in the six-pack, but I'm not nearly stupid enough to go that far.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The frustration is cost and deliberate Microsoft strategies to fo things with file formats to make alternatives not work. A a teacher, your school or board is paying for the programs via taxes and / or fees. It's not you paying, understood. It looks like free in such situations.

Insulting? It is hell. It is normal here.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11159 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To go back to the original topic;
There was a Windows 10 update that causes endless rebotting When it fails, it reboots and tries to load the update again.

Posts: 2982 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@ lilBuddha.

I don't think that programs necessarily should be free, but if a free product is available that meets my requirements, and is in some ways superior to the price-inflated product of some vastly wealthy corporation, then that's good in my book. If there is no financial transaction involved, it's a pretty good sign that there is no stash of freshly ground ax(e) heads hidden in the coder's back room.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
@ lilBuddha.

I don't think that programs necessarily should be free, but if a free product is available that meets my requirements, and is in some ways superior to the price-inflated product of some vastly wealthy corporation, then that's good in my book. If there is no financial transaction involved, it's a pretty good sign that there is no stash of freshly ground ax(e) heads hidden in the coder's back room.

Sorry, the free comment was aimed at no prophet.
If a group wishes to offer a free product that I find useful, I will use it.
And I do think that Apple and Microsoft* price things higher than necessary because they can. But there are smaller companies which produce good software at reasonable prices. That is my preferred setup.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Insulting? It is hell. It is normal here.

This kind of insulting is also normal among my 13 year old students. That doesn't make it adult.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
To go back to the original topic;
There was a Windows 10 update that causes endless rebotting When it fails, it reboots and tries to load the update again.

That German group Kraftwerk were right all along then: We are the rebotts, dom dom dee-dom.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7271 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm more than a bit peeved that we still need to learn new OS versions. It's 2015, where's my robot butler?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9462 | From: UK / Africa / Brazil | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Windows 10 caused our laptop to jam up for a few days. It had a blue band with "catana and start up menu are not working". We couldn't get past it until my computer literate son sorted it.

He reckoned it was the anti-spy - wear not recognising W 10. Odd that it worked for a couple weeks and then rejected it.

Blooming putes, personally I don,t understand them and trust them even less [Paranoid]

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3105 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Unknown as to whether this works or is useful if you don't care about it.

"Want Windows 10 to stop tracking you? Now there's an app for that.(The open-source app is available to download for free.)"

Apparently thought by some to be needed because
quote:
Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary.
The link above indicates that you can do some things to prevent your info from being uploaded to Microsoft

quote:
Don’t Use Express Settings During Setup

During installation, Microsoft will encourage you to accept its “express install” defaults. Without exceptions, these defaults will result in the maximum sharing of your information with Microsoft. Instead, select the “custom install” option,

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Unknown as to whether this works or is useful if you don't care about it.

"Want Windows 10 to stop tracking you? Now there's an app for that.(The open-source app is available to download for free.)"

I got all excited, but I can't run it because it's telling me I can only run it as administrator, and I am already logged in as administrator. [Frown] (But thank you!)

[ 15. August 2015, 19:24: Message edited by: Drifting Star ]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3123 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I take that back - I've got it to run. I missed the point that a small but very vital click was 'right' rather than 'left'.

I'll let you know if there's anything to know.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I need to have OpenOffice because people send me stuff in docx and my old version of Windows won't open it.

My version of Word won't open it either. There are sites online that will convert these docxs free of charge for you if upgrading isn't worth it (which it isn't for me and I don't want the version with the ribbon anyway).
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An interesting article says that Even when set to not communicate Microsoft still phones home with Windows 10
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
My version of Word won't open it either.

Have you downloaded the free Office 7 conversion tool from Microsoft? I'm happily running Office 2003 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access all in the 2003 versions) with the conversion tool, and it hasn't yet encountered an uplevel file it can't open. Well, OK, one or two Word 2010 files, but happily they can be opened just fine in Wordpad.

--------------------
"Stop your noisy songs; I do not want to listen to your praise bands." -- Amos 5:23, Good News Bible (modified)

Posts: 10339 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Philip Charles

Ship's cutler
# 618

- Posted      Profile for Philip Charles   Author's homepage   Email Philip Charles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tails 1.5.1 has been released. Suitable for the paranoid.

--------------------
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Posts: 89 | From: Dunedin, NZ | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Tails won't help if you have a Lenovo computer: Lenovo caught installing immortal crapware

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

TomM
Shipmate
# 4618

- Posted      Profile for TomM     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Tails won't help if you have a Lenovo computer: Lenovo caught installing immortal crapware

That report implies it is software for Windows that Lenovo add? If that is the case, you presumably nullify it by using any Linux distro?
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pfft - Microsoft's lack of online privacy is nothing compared to what happens in their physical stores.

The other day I went into one of their shops and, although I had tried to protect my anonymity by means of a black mask over my face, I was horrified to realise that the shop assistants could still watch all of my movements throughout the shop, down to the level of which aisle I walked down and what products I looked at. They refused point-blank to blindfold themselves and when I tried to brute-force them to clear their memory cache by means of a lump hammer, I was bundled into the back of a police van by some overzealous security hardware.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7178 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19194 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Philip Charles

Ship's cutler
# 618

- Posted      Profile for Philip Charles   Author's homepage   Email Philip Charles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
TomM
That report implies it is software for Windows that Lenovo add? If that is the case, you presumably nullify it by using any Linux distro?

Linux definitely will not run these programmes.

--------------------
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Posts: 89 | From: Dunedin, NZ | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The touchpad on my laptop doesn't work properly after downloading Windows 10.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I thought that was a typo, and you meant "immoral" rather than "immortal". Turns out it meant both.

--------------------
All I want for Christmas is EU

Posts: 32183 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to me that Hell is altogether much too nice a place for this discussion. If I had my way there would be a separate board called 'Microsoft'.

It also seems to me, after much observation, that Mac people are happier people, so he who counsels me on matters electronical has been instructed to begin the transformation at his earliest convenience. Before it's too late.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 891 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
Pfft - Microsoft's lack of online privacy is nothing compared to what happens in their physical stores.

The other day I went into one of their shops and, although I had tried to protect my anonymity by means of a black mask over my face, I was horrified to realise that the shop assistants could still watch all of my movements throughout the shop, down to the level of which aisle I walked down and what products I looked at. They refused point-blank to blindfold themselves and when I tried to brute-force them to clear their memory cache by means of a lump hammer, I was bundled into the back of a police van by some overzealous security hardware.

I'm not sure whether this was purely for laughs or making a point. I'm going to be all bossy and assume the latter, and respond:

When you purchase goods from someone, you don't expect them to follow you home. In fact, most of us understand that the whole reason we are handing over money is to transfer the ownership of the goods - they belonged to the company, now they belong to you.

Certain kinds of businesses don't seem to quite comprehend this, or are trying to change it without us noticing. I notice it most in the world of music, where in fact there's always been a clear argument that the record company is not actually giving you the right to go ahead and make copies, but they're increasingly trying to push ideas that you haven't bought anything at all, you're just renting.

It's happening all over the place, though. Anything electronic in nature and with intangible elements is susceptible.

I actually think it's quite important that consumers push back against this, but I don't have much hope. People seem unaware of the issues until something goes badly wrong (such as when a book was withdrawn from sale, and Amazon unilaterally withdrew it from Kindles whereas anyone who had bought a physical copy wasn't forced to give it up).

One of the worst things is how companies can attempt to stop you from using things you have legitimately bought. There was a landmark court case in Australia some years ago about region coding. It was about Sony Playstation games I think, but the decision has significantly affected other kinds of region coding such as on DVD players.

Sony was trying to sue someone who had created a mod chip that allowed people to play out-of-region games, and they lost in our highest court. Basically, the judges said "you are trying to stop people from using legal software that they have legally bought" and wouldn't have a bar of it.

As a result, I know that a large proportion of DVD players sold in Australia are now multi-region (because it's perfectly legal for people to break the region coding anyway, so why spend extra time putting it on after the player is built in a factor in Japan or Germany or wherever), although they're still usually advertised as if they were Region 4 players.

This is the kind of pushback we need. If I buy something in a legal way, it shouldn't be anyone's business how I use it thereafter. I shouldn't have iTunes telling me I can't listen to music in a different country. I shouldn't have Microsoft or Lenovo insisting on knowing what I use my computer for. Once I've paid the requested price for a working product, that's the end of our relationship except for the limited situation where I approach them because the product is not working as it should.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18143 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I shouldn't have Microsoft or Lenovo insisting on knowing what I use my computer for. Once I've paid the requested price for a working product, that's the end of our relationship except for the limited situation where I approach them because the product is not working as it should.

A fine sub-rant, and I philosophically agree with it.

Aside from one tiny technicality: I'm pretty sure that included in the required license agreement that the Warlocks of Redmond are thereby granted exactly that right by every legitimate Windows user. For, you know, reasons.

Which is why it would be nice for such information-gathering "agreements" to be separate entities from the simple purchase of software. With accordingly reciprocations of benefit, probably remunerative.

Posts: 15167 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

If you think Windows 10 is evil for sharing user information with Microsoft, you'll be interested to learn that Microsoft is porting the privacy leaks back to Windows 7 and 8
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:
I shouldn't have Microsoft or Lenovo insisting on knowing what I use my computer for. Once I've paid the requested price for a working product, that's the end of our relationship except for the limited situation where I approach them because the product is not working as it should.

A fine sub-rant, and I philosophically agree with it.

Aside from one tiny technicality: I'm pretty sure that included in the required license agreement that the Warlocks of Redmond are thereby granted exactly that right by every legitimate Windows user. For, you know, reasons.

Which is why it would be nice for such information-gathering "agreements" to be separate entities from the simple purchase of software. With accordingly reciprocations of benefit, probably remunerative.

Exactly. That's what I'm saying, that these sorts of things get put in license agreements and there ought to be a lot more pushback about that sort of thing being in license agreements.

When Microsoft (or anyone else) says that those kinds of features are "helpful", they mean helpful to them - not to me, the person who paid for a product. I've already given as much help to them as I should by filling their wallets. I'm offering them dollars as quid pro quo, not data.

I actually do agree to a fair degree of data-sharing, (and similarly for other companies I often allow them to send newsletters or tell them things they want to know). But it ought to be my choice, and it ought to be easy to say no.

[ 02. September 2015, 05:51: Message edited by: orfeo ]

Posts: 18143 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

When you purchase goods from someone, you don't expect them to follow you home.

Yeah, that's another thing. By default our home was set up so that anyone could look in through the windows and see what we were doing. We couldn't just opt out, either - we had to buy and install third-party curtains.

Ok, smart-aleck comments aside, I actually agree with most of your post. The fundamental problem, as I see it, is with companies suddenly discovering and monetising rights that hitherto nobody suspected existed. Previously, beyond the physical copies themselves, the only right that inhered in a book that you could buy and sell was the right to copy it. Then somebody discovered there are rights to play music using specific proprietary software, or in specific regions, that can be granted or withheld.

'Discovered' is of course sarcasm - I think these rights are basically made up. By the same token, though, I suspect the idea that we have an absolute right to privacy and anonymity is also a very recent development. We don't see it invoked to nearly the same degree outside of new technology.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7178 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I'm living in a RL model of privacy issues. The place was designed with green spaces for leisure, such as children's play, with the backs of the houses overlooking them. To enable this, there were low fences and hedges that could be looked over from the houses. The fences and hedges are now 6ft, in some cases, higher - the home owners won't let the gardeners cut them. "I don't want people looking in my windows" said - or shouted - with aggression. (That the green spaces are little used, and certainly not by Peeping Toms, is irrelevant, and maybe they think that people behind their net curtains in the homes opposite are looking.) So there's an example of non-technology related concerns about privacy.

[ 02. September 2015, 15:19: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Drifting Star

# 12799

quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:

Same here, and it got worse after the latest W10 update.

However, I have just downloaded the most recent touchpad driver from my laptop manufacturer's website, and all seems to be well again. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Microsoft is downloading windows10 on to your confuser even if you didn't opt in.

Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case'

quote:
...despite not having 'reserved' a copy of Windows 10... had appeared on his system. He had no plans to upgrade and had not put in a reservation request....isn't this a bit presumptuous on Microsoft's part?

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

That article is seriously scarey/irritating. I've switched off automatic updates - don't know why it was on. And warned my friend who's on 8.1.
Drifting Star

# 12799

I willingly and knowingly downloaded and installed Windows 10 and my broadband usage for that month was, on a conservative estimate, 13-14 GB higher than normal. Not a problem for me because we have an unlimited package, but that could have been a nasty surprise - even more so if it had been downloaded covertly.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:

Same here, and it got worse after the latest W10 update.

However, I have just downloaded the most recent touchpad driver from my laptop manufacturer's website, and all seems to be well again. [Big Grin]

Good to hear. I'll try that too.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
That article is seriously scarey/irritating. I've switched off automatic updates - don't know why it was on. And warned my friend who's on 8.1.

I did the same.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23073 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Sorted friend's machine, which only had one of the naughty updates in the update box, and none actually installed. Made sure my replacement 8.1 hybrid is set up properly.

And I'm going to check the update setting regularly.

It has interested me how many possible email and account names have been barred to me - all based on ideas such as "Nobody", "Notanaccount". There are lots of people determined not to let the Google/MS hackers have a handle on them.

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

quote:

Reliant fucking Robin. Unless you also refer to Mondeo Fords and A3 Audis.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17698 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

More spyware stuff it appears on a particular brand of windows PCs:
Lenovo caught with pre-installed tracking application for the third time

My question is that if one computer vendor is infiltrating windows computers with such things, are we certain that others aren't, and may be are just better at doing it?

I would want a packet filter on any windows computer I used, but I don't use windows except for a GPS map program, and it's winXP in a virtualizer (winXP runs like a program within Linux) and it doesn't have access to the internet.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I've just had to reinstall Firefox on my tablet, as Bing had established itself on the new tab screen, and the Blazer thing had got itself back on the computer. The first download I did brought a lot of other stuff with it, as well. It may have asked, but it was on a very tiny window in very tiny writing.
argona
Shipmate
# 14037

- Posted      Profile for argona   Email argona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Just this morning my computer has started showing pop-ups urging me to install Windows 10 free. I have Windows 7, and I'm getting along just fine.

I wonder why they want me to change.

Moo

I wouldn't, if I had 7. As it was, I had Windows Fail - sorry, 8 - and 10 seems at least better so far, if only because I'm a mouse-driven dinosaur.
Posts: 319 | From: Oriental dill patch? (4,7) | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Reliant fucking Robin. Unless you also refer to Mondeo Fords and A3 Audis.

Oh, piss off and your lawn isn't worth walking across anyway.

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well if you can't be pedantic and bang on about the pointless little things that annoy you in Hell where the fuck can you?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17698 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016