homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Fucking Guns (Page 20)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fucking Guns
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i guess what is bothering me is that in the discussion of the American perps and sustainers of the problem, there should be some sort of reference to the fact that the victims of each of these tragedies are in fact American.

Do you not see how we might be getting scared? Wondering if we are next? How we might see the victims of each of these tragedies as more representative of actual Americans than the perps? And exactly the version of America that gun culture is trying to kill?

as for Bond (and Guy Ritchie, and Jason Stratham) --- yeah. There's this primal addiction that Western culture seems to have that defines a person's significance by how much control they have over other people, and the ultimate expressions of that are rape and murder. The unique problem of the US is having this cockamamie combination of second amendment phraseology and pioneer expansion land grab/ stake techniques that we are only now beginning to really define-- forget untangling, for the moment.That mess we have just fertilizes the already wrongheaded, evil definition of power Western Civilization has been infected with.

[ 05. December 2015, 19:03: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just got a gigantic box of biscuits from a parent, Doc Tor, so I'm afraid the Cosmos does not agree with you.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

And lilb-- sorry if I singled you out in my rant, but you have that handicap of being someone who seems to actually tries to listen-- orfeo, too, which is why it's tempting to get in your specific faces.

--------------------

TomM
Shipmate
# 4618

- Posted      Profile for TomM     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
quote:
Guns are used to protect lives and property all the time, and not just in the US.

Citations? You position has limited or no support.

So 10 examples. Against how many hundreds of incidents? And that's before we comment on the relationship between these anecdotes and evidence. Or the fact that the article acknowledges how more than one of them was when the person intervening was trained to use a gun in live fire combat.

I'm not sure it makes a great case.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
i guess what is bothering me is that in the discussion of the American perps and sustainers of the problem, there should be some sort of reference to the fact that the victims of each of these tragedies are in fact American.

Do you not see how we might be getting scared? Wondering if we are next? How we might see the victims of each of these tragedies as more representative of actual Americans than the perps? And exactly the version of America that gun culture is trying to kill?

I think this is actually what boggles minds in other countries. That this is happening to Americans as well as by them and yet...
However, this is how we humans work. Us and them is situational.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
And lilb-- sorry if I singled you out in my rant, but you have that handicap of being someone who seems to actually tries to listen-- orfeo, too, which is why it's tempting to get in your specific faces.

No worries. And I can seem preachy. But it is never meant from a "holier than thou" perspective. Rather the opposite.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aaannnnndddd "One Day After Mass Shooting, Republicans Vote Down Gun Legislation". (Care2) (If anyone already posted about this, apologies.)

Care2 is a site for ways to do good, so there are links to more info, and a petition for *Americans* to sign.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the same day that the Republicans voted down gun control, a Nevada Democratic politician took a stand: "Meet the Gun-Loving Lifelong Member of the NRA Who Just Submitted His Resignation".

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Holy hell.

[Mad] [Waterworks] [Help]

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
State Dept. must list NRA as terrorist organization, New York Daily News. Interesting.

The NRA's New Shooting Game Is For Ages Four And Up
Looks like fun. Ages 4 and up.

quote:
You can use handguns and shotguns. You can also buy an AK47 assault rifle for just $0.99, which is a very good deal for an AK47 assault rifle. Other weapons, like an MK11 sniper rifle, also cost $0.99 each.
I guess 4 year olds are ready for guns. Didn't know that. [Ultra confused]
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Ok, we can't link to petitions, except in our signatures. But I will say that the petitions section of the White House site has a firearms section. The site also has Obama's positions on guns, and lots of other stuff. Some fun things, too! [Smile]

(H/As, hope this is ok.)

--------------------

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The NRA's New Shooting Game Is For Ages Four And Up
Looks like fun. Ages 4 and up.

The NRA's "new" shooting game is three years old.

In more recent news, Wednesday's attack in California is the latest example of Islamic assholes killing Americans inside the US during Obama's term.

Guns this time, but they have also used bombs and chopped people's heads off.

Don't worry though, the AG is serious about prosecuting people who might have something negative to say about it...

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Think of all who were killed here during Dubya's term. AKA 9/11.

--------------------

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Think of all who were killed here during Dubya's term. AKA 9/11.

Yeah! All those guys who came into the states during Clinton's term!? I remember that...what a mess!

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

When have Islamists (or anybody for that matter) decapitated Americans on American soil since 2008?

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
quote:

When have Islamists (or anybody for that matter) decapitated Americans on American soil since 2008?
In 2014 in Oklahoma.

Ironically, he was stopped by a company executive with a gun.

I'm not surprised that you had not heard about it, being "workplace violence" and all.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In more recent news, Wednesday's attack in California is the latest example of Islamic assholes killing Americans inside the US during Obama's term.

What was the one before this one?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Oh well, I'll have to win the lottery and fund a couple of PhD students and a good data analyst to do the research. I'm sure it could be done for £100,000.

Depends - do you want to know the answer, or do you want to be able to persuade other people (including skeptical people) that you have the answer. £100,000 might buy you the first, but it won't buy the second.

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
One of the traumatised survivors of the San Bernadino massacre, barely holding it together, said when being interviewed that he "wished he'd had a gun on him, he might have been able to save some lives". Who can't understand that?

If I am ever in a situation when I am attacked by one or more gunmen (terrorists, crazies or otherwise), I would certainly benefit from having a gun, and having some friends with guns with me.

It's not very likely to happen, though, and for me, the unlikely possibility that I might be attacked by terrorists does not outweigh the daily inconvenience that carrying a gun around with me would be.

The kids like to climb me like I'm a jungle gym. I couldn't let them do that if I was wearing a gun. Or maybe I'm walking around town, and I just need to pop into the... oh wait - that building doesn't allow guns.

I don't carry an umbrella everywhere I go, either, because the odds of a win (having an umbrella when I get caught in the rain) don't outweigh the inconvenience of carrying the thing around when it's dry. To me, carrying a gun looks like even worse odds.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

Is this where I should "drop the microphone"?

--------------------

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

The Boston Bombings?

Nadal Hasan?

--------------------

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

The Boston Bombings?

Nadal Hasan?

Chattanooga?

Garland, Texas?

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The whole thing with guns in America is scary and sad for this outsider looking in. I get the historical frontier use to exterminate the Indian nations and tribes, but can't see how that applies to current urban killings. Someone must be finding this economically advantageous, making a profit out of it.

The references to the terror attacks - how do they apply? I can't see that shooting your openly carried pistol at an airplane would do much on the way to crashing into a building.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:

The references to the terror attacks - how do they apply? I can't see that shooting your openly carried pistol at an airplane would do much on the way to crashing into a building.

You must be referring to 9/11? Those attacks were nearly 15 years ago. Islamist shitbags have been killing people in the US with regularity since then.

Had you been in that room in San Bernardino last week, would you have rather been carrying or not carrying?

How effective were the strict gun control laws in France in preventing what happened there?

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
The whole thing with guns in America is scary and sad for this outsider looking in. I get the historical frontier use to exterminate the Indian nations and tribes, but can't see how that applies to current urban killings.

Only that the pioneer movement made the continental US such a war zone that every homesteader really had reason for wanting a gun on their property-- and people haven't shaken that idea that a gun is the basic form of home protection. Pretty sure it's been pointed out before. It's not a justification for anything, it's an attempt to describe where the idea of home gun use came from. Because people keep asking.

quote:

Someone must be finding this economically advantageous, making a profit out of it.

No, really?

The network of people who are making a profit off of this are the very people cockblocking gun law reform. That must have been mentioned by four different people on the last two pages alone.Unlike Lilbuddha and Orfeo, you are not one of the people who seem to be trying to listen.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Is this where I should "drop the microphone"?

What fucking game are you under the impression you are winning?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, so some of the many thousands of murders committed in this country since 9/11/01 have been committed by Muslims. Is the rate disproportionate to their percent of the population? Do you think they're all in cahoots, like all the white Christian angry young men who shoot up elementary schools and movie theatres? Is THEIR murder rate higher than their portion of the population?

Part of white privilege is when you do something, you represent yourself. When a black man or a Muslim commit a crime, they somehow represent all blacks or all Muslims.

[ 06. December 2015, 03:41: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Obviously not, no. The idea that someone on the plane with a gun might be useful, however, is essentially the argument behind the existence of the Federal Air Marshal Service.

Most of the recent terror attacks have been mass shootings. One can certainly debate the likely outcome of having a number of well-trained, poorly-trained or untrained people carrying guns present at the Bataclan in Paris, in San Bernardino, or in other mass shootings, but the proposed mechanism is rather obvious. (Of course, there's nothing terrorism-specific about this discussion: it applies to mass shootings regardless of the killers' motives.)

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Islamist shitbags have been killing people in the US with regularity since then.

So, let's look at shootings and try to figure out what major religion the majority belong to. (Hint, it isn't Islam.)
And let's look at what might have triggered the largest rise in terrorist groups. (Hint, look at recent Republican presidents)
You have such a hard on for Clinton and Obama that you must be constantly stroking yourself to their images.
As far as arming people, look at the roadways next time you drive. Your want those people armed during a tense situation? You are an idiot.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Interestingly, the the New York Daily News did a San Bernardino front cover before the NY Times! (See the pics in the article.)

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Had you been in that room in San Bernardino last week, would you have rather been carrying or not carrying?

I'd rather nobody had been carrying. Including the attackers.

quote:
How effective were the strict gun control laws in France in preventing what happened there?
Which of the two countries has more mass shootings per year? I'd say that the one that has fewer such incidents is the one that has the laws that are most effective at preventing such incidents.

[ 06. December 2015, 12:14: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

Not an answer. They were carrying. So had you been there in that situation would you have preferred an opportunity to defend yourself or not?

quote:
Which of the two countries has more mass shootings per year? I'd say that the one that has fewer such incidents is the one that has the laws that are most effective at preventing such incidents.
Since there is no agreed upon definition of "mass shootings" it is difficult to say. In terms of casualties France has us beat hands down for 2015.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

You must be referring to 9/11? Those attacks were nearly 15 years ago. Islamist shitbags have been killing people in the US with regularity since then.
Regularity, like frequency, does not men often or extensively. We'd like the numbers please.
quote:

I'd rather not. I don't know how to use a gun and if I had one, somebody who does know how to use one would probably have shot me before taking my gun.
quote:

In that instance, ineffective, but that is one incident in many years and France has a vast number of young and disaffected Muslim men.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oddly enough the UK understanding is even if attackers are carrying guns you are still safer if they think you are not.

Put it this way, if they think you have a gun and are going to use it against them then they will fire first and think later. Yes the exact reflection of the US gun lobbies stance. Odd that isn't it. Terrorist think like people.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

Not an answer. They were carrying. So had you been there in that situation would you have preferred an opportunity to defend yourself or not?
Unless I'm going to use the bullets from my gun to shoot the bullets from their gun, your use of the word 'defend' is simply buying into the frontiersman image and rhetoric the NRA and other gun-supporters frequently deploy.

You don't 'defend' yourself against an shooter with a gun. You kill the shooter. Kill. That's it. That's what you do. So, "had you been there in that situation would you have preferred an opportunity to defend yourself or not?" becomes "So had you been there in that situation would you have preferred an opportunity to kill the shooters or not?"

Let's not be coy about this. I'm reasonably certain that most sane people - at least, those without a delusionary level of self-confidence - would say "I'd have preferred an opportunity to escape from the shooters."

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Since there is no agreed upon definition of "mass shootings" it is difficult to say. In terms of casualties France has us beat hands down for 2015.

The agreed upon definition is four or more people shot. France hasn't even come close to the US: we're at 462 for the year. And that's deaths. Another 1312 have been injured.

[ 06. December 2015, 18:10: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can read about what life is like for one of those shot and injured, one of the "lucky ones."

Go ahead. Click here. Read. And then come back and explain why readily-available assault weapons are such a fabulous idea, you miserable excuse for an asswipe.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
Oddly enough the UK understanding is even if attackers are carrying guns you are still safer if they think you are not.

Put it this way, if they think you have a gun and are going to use it against them then they will fire first and think later. Yes the exact reflection of the US gun lobbies stance. Odd that isn't it. Terrorist think like people.

Jengie

Yeah, this is the logic that eludes.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:

That sounds entirely rational to me. Advertising that you are armed might act as a deterrence against certain kinds of attack (if you want to rob a bank, for example, you'll likely choose the poorly-defended one over the well-defended one).

Once someone has decided that he is going to attack you (rob your bank, shoot a bunch of people in your building, ...) it's rational for him to take out the guards first. If there's only a couple of guards, the guards are going down, because the attacker(s) will have the advantage of surprise.

That's why Air Marshals look like ordinary passengers instead of wearing shiny uniforms.

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Let's not be coy about this. I'm reasonably certain that most sane people - at least, those without a delusionary level of self-confidence - would say "I'd have preferred an opportunity to escape from the shooters."

If anyone is at all able to perform heroics in a random shooter situation then a tactic might be, if you escaped getting hit early, to flee sideways and get behind the shooter. Providing a person is willing to risk their own life, a sudden lunge at the shooter and mounting them piggyback style while simultaneously pulling the weapon arm skywards could save lives.

Taking cover behind something that probably isn't bullet proof and attempting frontal, accurate shots in a chaotic few seconds is more likely to get you killed.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The pro-gun people have said that we should do away with "gun free zones" because the bad guys know that they can come in and shoot people knowing that no one will shoot back -- unless it's at their own gun show, where loaded guns are not allowed -- and where someone was shot by accident.
quote:
"Safety is our Number One Priority, and a safe environment in the show can only be maintained if there are no loaded guns in the show," the website said.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's easy to recognize hypicrites and you can see that even the mainstream media does not hesitate to do so. This is the kind of lamebrain Christian leader that makes all Christians look bad.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In terms of casualties France has us beat hands down for 2015.

On current figures the US manages a Bataclan every 4 days. Every. 4. Days.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
It's easy to recognize hypicrites and you can see that even the mainstream media does not hesitate to do so. This is the kind of lamebrain Christian leader that makes all Christians look bad.

What make me more angry (yes, angry) is that he seems to be so damned happy to be carrying a gun. I doubt soldiers carry a weapon with such joy.

[ 06. December 2015, 21:03: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I've seen people officially entitled to be carrying guns as part of their duties - soldiers and police - they look like people carrying tools.
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:

quote:
"Safety is our Number One Priority, and a safe environment in the show can only be maintained if there are no loaded guns in the show," the website said.

I suppose that a gun show is an environment where large numbers of people are expected to pick guns up and wave them around in a way that might be rather alarming if they were loaded, and they're trying to exclude the chance of someone mistaking a loaded weapon for an unloaded one.

If it was an exhibition of toaster ovens, there would be no reason for anyone to be waving guns around, or for anyone to believe that there were unloaded demo guns around, so no opportunity for confusion. So there's a real reason here - it's not just hypocrisy.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:

quote:

I suppose that a gun show is an environment where large numbers of people are expected to pick guns up and wave them around in a way that might be rather alarming if they were loaded, and they're trying to exclude the chance of someone mistaking a loaded weapon for an unloaded one.

If anyone waves a gun around, anytime and anywhere I would kick their ass so hard they would need a wheelchair for a week. So would my b-I-l and he's a gamekeeper. He's a peaceable chap, but prats with guns really get his goat.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The NRA has a no-gun policy at their annual convention.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well, since no-gun zones are irresistible for mass shooters, I guess they're just asking for it.
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:

Unbelievable.

--------------------

saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
If anyone waves a gun around, anytime and anywhere I would kick their ass so hard they would need a wheelchair for a week. So would my b-I-l and he's a gamekeeper. He's a peaceable chap, but prats with guns really get his goat.

And you're confident in your ability to kick a gun-wielder's ass without getting shot?

Interesting.

Anybody else seen American Sniper?

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:

Now, that's pure hypocrisy.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016