homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Fucking Guns (Page 22)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fucking Guns
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
He could be impeached if he broke it on a small scale. Seriously, he's not going to be able to get away with deporting all Muslims or some such crap.

He never suggested such.

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, he only suggested deporting all immigrants. Which is no less nutty.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

Actually, he never suggested that either.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
quote:

Just as well. What would happen to all those who fled varying degrees of tyranny in Europe over the last 500 years?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
Which is fine, and rather missing my point, which is that, as I see it, the arguments for "just war" can also me made to apply to individual people.

Nice try, Quixote. I never wanted anything to do with your so-called point. I merely stated that it was contemptible to believe in mutually-exclusive fairy tales: "just wars" and "religions of peace".

But if you want to discuss the concept of least-bad options at a personal level with respect to lethal hardware, why don't we just call that what it is? Cowardice.

[ 10. December 2015, 19:32: Message edited by: RooK ]

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
It would be far more efficient to not elect Trump in the first place. The man is clearly unfit to hold office.

Let alone his wig.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I prefer Sancho Panza to the good Knight of the Sad Countenance. In his stupidity, he turned out to be quite wise.

Still, what can you do? Fight the good fight, I suppose, even if all the tools you have are a bow-legged donkey, a rusty sword, a barber's tray for a helmet and you end up tilting at windmills.

--------------------
arse

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cheesy - your reference to fiction is worthy only in the sense that it raises the problem of fiction in the understanding of guns and how people use them.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know, I think we could all learn a lot from reading things like Don Quixote. Madness looks like sense and sense looks like madness, depending on your perspective.

--------------------
arse

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the USA has all those gun owners who say they are ready to do battle against a tyrannical government. If The President Donald tried to round up Muslims, what are the chances the 2nd Amendment crowd would do anything to stop it? Hands up, who's going to bear arms and defend their Muslim neighbours' basic freedoms by shooting police or armed forces or whoever is sent to carry The Donald's solution?

Anybody?

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
Which is fine, and rather missing my point, which is that, as I see it, the arguments for "just war" can also me made to apply to individual people.

You have asserted this. I asked you to demonstrate it, and you ignored me. I must conclude that this is a mere assertion and you have no argument or evidence for it.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is interesting that with Trump, he is morphing it appears sucessfully the 'government as enemy' into Moslem enemies. The rabble must have their villains. Trump's gift is to offer a good mythological villain based on a kernel of fact piped into their brains by an obedient media. Conspiracy once named just needs a few ocassional facts to keep it going. Whether Moslems, Jews, Blacks.

The rejection of Trump by other politicians plays into his absurd charisma. They are part of the prior conspiracy re big government which wants to take guns, liberty and enslave the nation. He's selling that the country needs to wake up to the real threat, and weirdly let Trump become the government against the establishment and the Moslems, or rather the image of the dirty bearded extremist. With the appeal to (almost) violence at home. If there are a few more shootings he might be able to exploit responsive lynchings, so long as he condemns the violence but not the feelings motivating them.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a meme running around on the net which goes something like, If only all black men under the age of 30 go and join the NRA, and buy a gun, there will be stringent gun control laws on the books by the end of the month.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Yes he did. Just not in his latest nutjob speech.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
quote:
quote:

Yes he did. Just not in his latest nutjob speech.
I know there is a lot of hysteria regarding Trump these days. He has taken over two threads here one of which is totally unrelated to politics, but compare the headline in your link to the post I quoted and you will see that I am correct.

Trump never suggested deporting all immigrants.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Trump never suggested deporting all immigrants.

You are fucking stupid.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, strictly speaking deporting all illegal immigrants. But, he's also on record as saying he'll make it illegal to be an immigrant if you're a muslim. I'm sure he'll find a way of declaring other immigrants as illegal.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, strictly speaking deporting all illegal immigrants.

And their children, who are legally US citizens.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

quote:
Well, strictly speaking deporting all illegal immigrants.

Ahhhh, so someone here can read!

Not Rook so much, but someone at least!

--------------------

saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trump says enough exaggerated moronic things. He really doesn't need other people helping him by taking it even further.

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
saysay

You're right. Trump's act of pandering to prejudices which was thinly disguised as an unworkable counter productive and expensive excuse for a policy does apply to illegal immigrants and their offspring. I misread Alan Cresswell. No need to 'credit' Trump with being even more moronic than he is.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No worries, Barnabas.

It's just that that's exactly the sort of misrepresentation (whether deliberate or caused by people skimming articles too fast) a lot of people are angry about. After it's been done to you too many times, particularly when it's offered as some kind of proof that you are some kind of -ist or horrible person in a way that the person misrepresenting you is not, it tends to be rage inducing.

My guess is that people who only have access to media reports about Trump and his supporters are way overestimating the degree to which he is popular because of the specific horrible things he says or specific horrible policies and underestimating the degree he is popular because he is seen as authentic and is refusing to play by the rules of political correctness (see Doublethink's link in Purgatory). I know it likely doesn't help people on your side of the pond understand, but it seems somewhat comparable to the reasons why Bill Maher (the man we love to hate) and his show Politically Incorrect is popular on the Left.

--------------------
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just offhand, and I'm only one person, I estimate Trump's popularity by his stance firmly atop the GOP presidential hopeful polls, and the number of people he gets to his campaign rallies. No naughty nasty evil liberal/progressive media plots required.

--------------------

saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

And you can estimate that he is popular because of those things, but not necessarily accurately speculate as to why. Which people seem intent on doing.

I ask again, how many Trump supporters have you actually talked to yourself?

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The White House petition site in my sig now has a sort of universal carry petition:

quote:
Allow Constitutional carry of firearms for all U.S. citizens legally qualified to own firearms

Whereas Governmental authorities world wide need to allocate significant resources on the urgent matters of; climate, and importing Muslim refugees; limited resources make the provision of reasonable protection from Islamic militants and other deranged criminals an impossibility.

Therefor, until further notice; in accordance with the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution of the United States; all U.S. Citizens legally qualified to own a firearm shall be permitted to carry any legally owned firearm in any public place for the specific purpose of their own self defense and the defense of others.
Published Date: Dec 04, 2015

[Help] Yet another good reason to stay home...

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Originally posted by saysay:
Trump says enough exaggerated moronic things. He really doesn't need other people helping him by taking it even further.

I'm pretty sure it would be understood by even the most rabid Palin-hating spotted-screech-owl-impersonating über-liberal that "immigrants" as used in this thread was referring to those in the US sans visa. But I do apologize for the lack of precision in my wording.

Please feel free to get back to fornicating with firearms.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And you can estimate that he is popular because of those things, but not necessarily accurately speculate as to why. Which people seem intent on doing.

I haven't spoke to any but I have heard a few grunt.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

Good friends of this man then?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

Good friends of this man then?
You might not believe it, but I wasn't thinking of him.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:

What good would that do? Are you saying that nobody is accurately reporting what these people say about themselves? NOBODY? Or just that the majority of reports are wrong, and the truth is being obscured?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Focus group of Trump supporters as reported by that bastion of progressivism, the WSJ.

--------------------

saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

I'm saying that the media riled shit up during the Baltimore riots. I'm saying that all signs are pointing to them doing it again. I'm saying that maybe people should talk to each other before condemning one another based on news filtered through media.

But what good would talking to people who might disagree with me do? I might have to change my mind! That can't happen.

And the WSJ is obviously accurate and non-biased. Especially when it comes to the opinions of the working class.

WTF?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

If I talk to one Trump supporter, what does that say about the rest of his supporters? Nothing. The plural of anecdote is not data.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Appreciating your distrust of the media, saysay, you might also appreciate this look at the Frank Luntz focus group study.

This quote from the article says it all really.
quote:
The totalitarian society billionaires bought. Right there, in Luntzian color.
Distrusting the more established media (like the Wall Street Journal and the Washington Post whose articles on the Luntz study support one another) simply delivers Trump supporters into the hands of those billionaires doesn't it? Or, if you like, those other billionaires. Like Murdoch and Trump.

I think the Luntz study, as now quite widely reported, does constitute evidence of how Trump supporters think; their hatred of Obama, their distrust of the conventional media, the extent to which their minds have been distorted by the propagandist source of information they do trust.

Frank Luntz's twitter feed links directly to the Washington Post article on his study. So he clearly endorses the Washington Post article as an accurate report of the conversations which took place and his own response to them.

That's evidence, saysay. Evidence that these people have been brainwashed, and not by the conventional media.

[ 13. December 2015, 06:43: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<bump>

Really? How did this family become the darlings of the right?

Drunk, abusive, suffering from a serious illness, has a gun. And it's Obama's fault.

To call them dysfunctional would be an insult to dysfunctional families.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The entire Palin family, including Sarah, was involved in a bar brawl last year. Personally, I think violence runs in the family.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
How did this family become the darlings of the right? Drunk, abusive, suffering from a serious illness, has a gun.

Add sexually dysfunctional and you've **got** the far right! [Ultra confused]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

5 dead in school shooting, La Loche, Saskatchewan

Not immune in Canada. Been to La Loche many times. It's in northern Sask on the voyageur canoe route. Very very upsetting.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
5 dead in school shooting, La Loche, Saskatchewan

Not immune in Canada. Been to La Loche many times. It's in northern Sask on the voyageur canoe route. Very very upsetting.

[Votive]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Four good guys with guns.

--------------------

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that is comedy gold.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And one of the snow related deaths belongs here. Partway down the page. Probably belongs in the driver thread as well.

Blizzard news

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fuller link
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The recent deadly Oregon militia standoff's (linkie) got all the right and appropriately weird names.

First of all, it's in a place called 'Malheur' - which is 'bad luck' in French. Then, one of the leaders's called Ammon(...ition?) Bundy and another, rather dead one, LaVoy Finicum. Without being too finicky (after all, he's been finished off and gone to The Void Eternal): with names like these, people are just bound to get crazy.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

The Grauniad is telling us, BTW:
quote:
The Oregon militia, made up of mostly out-of-state anti-government activists, says it wants to establish local control of public lands. [Italics mine]
This is not a thread about the motivations of nutcase militias, but you can't help wondering if some people haven't got too much time and too many guns at hand.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
BTW:
quote:
The Oregon militia, made up of mostly out-of-state anti-government activists, says it wants to establish local control of public lands. [Italics mine]

You do get the feeling that some people need their irony meters calibrated. A group of armed men occupy Federal Government property with the stated aim of getting the feds to hand that land to the local community, and they don't see the irony of non-locals taking this action against the wishes of the vast majority of the local community.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Four good guys with guns.

Over a $25 fee. Notice there was a woman involved egging things on. I really doubt the complaints about the fee required her calling for back-up. The last road-rage incident I read about, involving guns and death, was repeatedly escalated by a woman passenger in one of the cars. There are a lot of men wanting to be John Wayne and a lot of women wanting to be married to him in our country. I guess, as long as they all hang out together it's not so bad.
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The last road-rage incident I read about, involving guns and death, was very near my home last week and involved two women. Driver A rear-ended Driver B at a red light. Driver A (who caused the collision) got out of her car with a gun and fatally shot Driver B.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. I'll be interested in how that comes out. The very first road rage incident I ever heard of was two women arguing on the interstate. They both took an exit and parked on the side of the ramp. The woman in the front car got out and marched, unarmed, toward the one still in her car. The one in the car took out her gun and killed the woman coming toward her. She got off because she, "felt threatened." That's been about 15 years ago and I'm still mad about it.
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Wow. I'll be interested in how that comes out.

She was depressed and apparently suicidal, so she'll probably plead insanity.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016