homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Fucking Guns (Page 26)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fucking Guns
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
If it's my tone you're actually arguing with

"You people" is a phrase often used by racists. I expect many of them think it's simply a question of tone when they get called on it.

Definitely invokes that feeling for me.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If "you people," is the militant NRA members, then I'm with Doc Tor. I think what he might be saying is a little bit like what I tried to say in the POTUS thread a few days ago.

He's voicing some of the frustration I have. It looks like my best bet for the next president is going to be Hillary Clinton and I wanted something or someone more. I want some sweeping changes. I don't want a president with a historically hawkish attitude to our military presence in the middle east who will dawdle around saying we can't pull out yet or our past thirty years will be for nothing.

I want someone who will say, "Our past thirty years in the middle east have not brought the stabilization we hoped for, it's just lost us a lot of soldiers and made us a passel of violent enemies -- we're bringing all our troops home today."

And I don't want creeping, snail paced gun control measures that say we're banning assault weapons but letting you keep all your hand guns with which you do the most killing and we're going to let every yahoo with an IQ of 85 have guns but all the mentally ill people will have their greatest fears realized when their psychiatrists start reporting their confidences to the government -- not to mention their illnesses reported to the yahoos with IQ's of 85 who run the gun shows.

I want someone who will make the changes Australia made and tell the NRA, it's over, get used to it.

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
If "you people," is the militant NRA members, then I'm with Doc Tor.

Can't help thinking that "What the fuck is wrong with militant NRA members" would have been a clearer way of doing that. That and avoiding the followup comments on collective responsibility.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When the NHS gets sold to the government's preferred bidder, it won't be the 'idiots who voted Tory' who'll be to blame. It'll be us people.

So while you all (individually) have been bloviating and trying to tell me how I ought to express myself and policing my tone and educating me on the correct way to feel about 13000 largely preventable deaths by guns, another, what, 70 people have died?

Am I a terrible person? Yes. Of course I am. I channel most of that into my work which I'm inexplicably paid for. And it's not any particular surprise that I find myself hosting here in Hell. Maybe you've got so used to Hell-lite that what actual Hell looks like frightens you. Feel free never to visit here again, and you can take a razor blade to the Psalms while you're at it.

You can now return to your hankie-wringing over a litany of death and loss and misery, while I work away in the background, checking every link for NSFW images of people with gunshot wounds.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When the NHS gets sold to the government's preferred bidder, it won't be the 'idiots who voted Tory' who'll be to blame. It'll be us people.

In that (God forbid) scenario I'll blame Jeremy Cunt and the Fucking Tories.

I'll regret, deeply, the idiocy that meant so many Brits believed the lies the Tories told us at election time. What's the point of blaming those who campaigned tirelessly for a different outcome, even if they were ultimately unsuccessful? That's like blaming the BEF for not holding up the German advance and retreating to Dunkirk. We don't do that, we remember their courage and sacrifice, and celebrate the quite extraordinary feat of getting so many off the beaches. I only hope that if we lose the Battle for the NHS we'll treat the defeated warriors who fought so hard to save it as heroes and not clump them in with the Tory Bastards.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So while you all (individually) have been bloviating and trying to tell me how I ought to express myself and policing my tone and educating me on the correct way to feel about 13000 largely preventable deaths by guns, another, what, 70 people have died?.... Maybe you've got so used to Hell-lite that what actual Hell looks like frightens you. Feel free never to visit here again, and you can take a razor blade to the Psalms while you're at it.

So the red herrings have been a random scattering of;

• Emotional blackmail with mother's friend as victim.
  • Some kind of affinity with scripture
  • Caring too much
  • Framing the response as being told how to feel
  • Delicate flowers can't take your tone.

I don't see anyone buying any of it. Although I guess deano and evensong haven't shown up yet.

Could it be that in fact you've been acting like a cunt? Sure it's hell, that means you don't get admin attention for it, it doesn't mean you get a free pass and no-one should call you on it. Isn't that what you people normally say in these situations?

Look at RooK's post. If you are going to take the provocative, hard-as-nails hellish approach at least own it and drop the pathetic flailing justifications.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Maybe you've got so used to Hell-lite that what actual Hell looks like frightens you.

[Killing me] What a stunning piece of ironic self-depreciation. Bravo! I mean, to take the piss out of oneself in such a subtle, but clear way is Art.
Right? You meant it that way? I mean, because you couldn't be that stupid, right? Unless....romanlion? deano?!

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So while you all (individually) have been bloviating and trying to tell me how I ought to express myself and policing my tone and educating me on the correct way to feel about 13000 largely preventable deaths by guns, another, what, 70 people have died?

Yes, your douchebaggery is excused because you really care so much more than we do.
quote:
You can now return to your hankie-wringing over a litany of death and loss and misery, while I work away in the background, checking every link for NSFW images of people with gunshot wounds.

Yes, you're doing the Lord's work, bravely clicking on things. Have you really found any NSFW images of people with gunshot wounds, or is this just another extension of your pretend suffering under your burden as a host?
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
doing the Lord's work, bravely clicking on things.

I dislike having our lovely, "Fucking guns," thread turned into a, "Doc Tor's a douchbag," thread -- but that is a fine phrase. I'm tempted to make it my signature.
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why, thank you.

With any luck, Doc Tor's present fit will soon pass and we'll be relieved of his caring too much, at least for another six months.

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The UK really isn't that peachy: we had a 14 year old shot today in Suffolk. Two teenagers have been arrested. There's a little wrinkle in UK law that allows children as young as 5 to have shotgun licences so guns aren't the completely eradicated danger some are suggesting. (And that's before you start looking at illegal guns or the 7000 knives handed in during a knife amnesty just across the border from Bury St Edmunds in Essex.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fortunately we don't require people to have sorted everything out before they comment. Otherwise these boards would be very quite.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Quite what?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doc Tor isn't the only douche-bag here.

Americans have the right to own guns. That will never change. Come and get mine whenever you feel froggy.

Bad things happen. Blame God, he set all this shit into motion.

Get over it and close this pitiful fucking excuse for a thread already.

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:

There's no reason to sulk, romanlion - you haven't posted on this thread for a while, so it's only natural that people will overlook you.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

Americans have the right to own guns. That will never change. Come and get mine whenever you feel froggy.

Ahhh, in'e cute when he gets all frocious?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Quite what?

Quite froggy, I guess.
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Bad things happen. Blame God, he set all this shit into motion.

That's got the feel of a sig about it to me.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
Doc Tor, you seem to be under the belief that there are no Americans working to correct our serious gun problem

Personally, I'm under the belief that there are none effectively working to correct your serious gun problem.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, bollocks to the whole "well, that's American history and culture, right to bear arms is a thing" notion.

Because a few generations ago the Supreme Court of the same United States did not think there was any right for individuals to go around with guns. A few generations ago, the NRA was entirely in favour of gun regulation.

The mess you're living with has only been inevitable in your own lifetimes. It's not a historical truth, any more than "In God We Trust" is a historical truth or "one nation under God" is a historical truth. Where you've ended up now is the result of an orchestrated steering of your country. Anyone who tells you that this is just how America has always been is lying through their teeth.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
Doc Tor, you seem to be under the belief that there are no Americans working to correct our serious gun problem

Personally, I'm under the belief that there are none effectively working to correct your serious gun problem.
Well, duh, if they'd been effective* we'd not be having this conversation. If by that comment you mean that you are denigrating the efforts of those trying as weak, then I think you are wrong. I know some of them who lobby their representatives, protest, educate, etc. Hasn't worked yet, but they are doing everything legal to try.

* Don't you lot have a day celebrating inefectivity?
quote:
Also, bollocks to the whole "well, that's American history and culture, right to bear arms is a thing" notion.

I'm no expert on American history, but it didn't take long to find that not that simple. The question has been a question from fairly early on.
quote:

Because a few generations ago the Supreme Court of the same United States did not think there was any right for individuals to go around with guns. A few generations ago, the NRA was entirely in favour of gun regulation.

The mess you're living with has only been inevitable in your own lifetimes.

Let's pretend that this is accurate (though it isn't), that is how we humans work. What "is" in our lifetimes, and typically those of our parents, has always been.
But back to the inaccuracy. The mythology or the American Pioneer began before the real events ended. Buffalo Bill, and Wild Bill Hickok, amongst many others, were in plays fictionalising their own lives. The "romance" of the pioneer and the taming of the continent has been part of the American Mythos for a long time.
And the conflict between individual rights and government control is interwoven throughout American history.

quote:

Anyone who tells you that this is just how America has always been is lying through their teeth.

Even if your earlier presumptions were more accurate, it would be at most to assume that those you are criticising were ignorant or delusional. Accusing them of lying is either massively ignorant or you are jealous of the attention Doc Tor is getting.

BTW, not that long ago, I was in the same place Doc Tor is, wondering WTF is wrong with America. But a little time spent among the natives and a little research shows it is not completely simple.
Not that this absolves the situation, it doesn't.

[ 02. May 2016, 15:00: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Are you implying you'd be willing to kill someone if they tried to disarm you? That's my definition of a hateful cunt.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

Are you implying you'd be willing to kill someone if they tried to disarm you? That's my definition of a hateful cunt.
Karl, you are a very poor judge of character. He's an hateful cunt even if that is not what he is implying.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
The mythology or the American Pioneer began before the real events ended. Buffalo Bill, and Wild Bill Hickok, amongst many others, were in plays fictionalising their own lives. The "romance" of the pioneer and the taming of the continent has been part of the American Mythos for a long time.

On the other hand, the mythology of the "wild west" as portrayed in Western movies (which I guess is a fairly important part of the development of the myth as currently understood) is quite informative in relation to guns. In the Western movie, what happens when the cow boys ride into town for their night off? They all stop off at the office of the Sheriff/Marshall and hand in their guns, and collect them again as they leave town. Or, if it's one of those "Marshall restores order to lawless town" movies, that's the first law the Marshall enacts. It's those who don't hand in their guns before walking into the saloon who are the trouble makers.

Yet, way back on this thread there was a discussion about the need for guns for hunting, and that for many people this was an important means of putting food on the table. I asked why it therefore follows that people need hunting rifles at home, couldn't they be stored somewhere secure and checked out on the way out of town for the hunt. I suggested the police station as a suitable secure location - and was told flatly that it was unacceptable to hand guns to the police while they were not needed. Of course, handing guns to the police while in town is part of the Western tradition ...

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Problem with the police station idea is that these may be distant from where people live, and people may not be actually present in a sheriff office or detachment all the time.

On another question, I have been puzzling about the calling someone a 'douche bag' or 'douche' and wondering if the same apparatus might be used for enemas, i.e., same gear used differently.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
I suggested the police station as a suitable secure location - and was told flatly that it was unacceptable to hand guns to the police while they were not needed. Of course, handing guns to the police while in town is part of the Western tradition ...

The western thing is only part. There is also the mistrust of government and the fear of crime, despite lowering of actual crime stats.
BUt the argument isn't about rationality or reality anyway.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Wild West possibly wasn't that wild.

There's also a theory that many of America's core conservative values can be traced back to the Border Reivers. These were a small but incredibly fierce and resilient group of clans living on the England-Scotland border, who briefly emigrated to Ireland in the 17th century before carrying on the US. They became known as the Scots-Irish, got kicked out of every state before finally settling in the Appalachian Mountains, and became instrumental in colonising the Wild West.

Long but (IMO) hilarious and fascinating discussion here.

Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Hiro's Leap:

It is not about reality, it is about perception.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

But, surely when perception is wildly at odds with reality it needs to be challenged? Otherwise what you actually have is willful ignorance.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
But, surely when perception is wildly at odds with reality it needs to be challenged? Otherwise what you actually have is willful ignorance.

Of course misperception should be challenged, but what success rate do you think that has?
Facts have never disproved a conspiracy theory in the eyes of its faithful.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
10 Print "It's our mythology."
20 Print "What's the mythology of *your* country?"
30 GoTo 10

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
quote:

Of course misperception should be challenged, but what success rate do you think that has?
Facts have never disproved a conspiracy theory in the eyes of its faithful.

Maybe we should look at success in terms of stopping people believing the lies, so they don't join the ranks of the conspiracy theorists. I've long since given up trying to convince YECies of the error of their ways, I've not given up on helping people who have heard about YEC but aren't convinced to retain the use of their brains.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

No, you ignorant peasant, we have a day of commemoration, not celebration. There is a great difference between the two.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
quote:

No, you ignorant peasant, we have a day of commemoration, not celebration. There is a great difference between the two.

Huia

I do know this. But I decided to counter his ignorant statement with another. In, perhaps vain, hope that it would point him to understanding. And I might have been baiting him as well. [Biased]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

orfeo

# 13878

I haven't risen to two sets of Tori Amos remarks in the last week, what on earth made you think your attempt at baiting was going to work?

And others have done the work of illustrating that my statement wasn't nearly as ignorant as you claimed.

Though I will accept that some of the people who try to tell us all that individual gun ownership is some eternal American value are not wicked, just stupid. Nevertheless, I stand by the view that there was a deliberate push to create that notion.

[ 04. May 2016, 01:19: Message edited by: orfeo ]

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also: do not underestimate the power of wishful thinking¹. Wanting something to be so is awfully persuasive. Because, let me be honest, guns are exciting and fun. Luckily I am only persuaded to overwhelm my reason by such visceral nonsense with respect to cars and women.

¹ Hey, look! The fundamental basis of religion!

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

And others have done the work of illustrating that my statement wasn't nearly as ignorant as you claimed.

Who? Where?

quote:

Though I will accept that some of the people who try to tell us all that individual gun ownership is some eternal American value are not wicked, just stupid. Nevertheless, I stand by the view that there was a deliberate push to create that notion.

WTF? Not what I was saying. I was illustrating that the construct is not as simple or completely recent as you claim.

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Luckily I am only persuaded to overwhelm my reason by such visceral nonsense with respect to cars and women.

Because you need one to get the other?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Because you need one to get the other?

When you're married to a doctor, is it so wrong to have them help you buy a Tesla?
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nicely played.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

There's also a theory that many of America's core conservative values can be traced back to the Border Reivers. These were a small but incredibly fierce and resilient group of clans living on the England-Scotland border, who briefly emigrated to Ireland in the 17th century before carrying on the US. They became known as the Scots-Irish, got kicked out of every state before finally settling in the Appalachian Mountains, and became instrumental in colonising the Wild West.

There is indeed much romanticizing about Appalachian clans in certain regions of the US. Less than hilariously, one can argue the Klan used the glamor of the Border Reivers to give their own outfit more cultural resonance.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
Why, thank you.

With any luck, Doc Tor's present fit will soon pass and we'll be relieved of his caring too much, at least for another six months.

The really funny thing about that post you quoted is that you don't have to scroll too far down to see a good number of We the You People growling with indignance about open carry bullshit. This is what I don't get-- care, don't care, who cares, but if you really do have a passion for ending gun violence in America, what in God's name does it serve to alienate people WHO TOTALLY FUCKING AGREE WITH YOU!

Hell rules aside-- realiy, nobody needs a lecture on that-- isn't it more efficient to achieve some sort of solidarity with people who have the same concerns you do? Is creating an "other" so satisfying that you ( general you) would rather sacrifice ideological allies than sacrifice an effigy to burn?

The only US person showing any kind of enthusiasm for personal gun use is fucking romanlion, and everybody hates him. On the other hand along time I go I said, " Fuck this us/ them shit, what can WE-- the Shipmates-- do, and all the clamoring peace warriors went abruptly silent.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
This is what I don't get-- care, don't care, who cares, but if you really do have a passion for ending gun violence in America, what in God's name does it serve to alienate people WHO TOTALLY FUCKING AGREE WITH YOU!

I know yours is a rhetorical question, but the truth is that Doc Tor's comments aren't hindering the cause of gun control in the US any more than our blathering about how much we hate gun violence is advancing it. He could alienate each and every one of us, and it would matter not one whit in this regard.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Fair point, but I think at this point I am starting to wonder if we should pull our magazine-- adjunct asses together and brainstorm. This thread is a snake eating its tail. Why not try something else?

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
WTF? Not what I was saying.

I thought it was what you were saying in one part of your over-busy deconstruction. With a reference suggesting that I should accept, along with my other thoughts, the option of people being "ignorant or delusional".

If it wasn't, then I... don't care all that much really.

[ 04. May 2016, 11:32: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Fair point, but I think at this point I am starting to wonder if we should pull our magazine-- adjunct asses together and brainstorm. This thread is a snake eating its tail. Why not try something else?

Maybe a Purgatory discussion, "what can we do to help reduce gun deaths?" Hell isn't really the place for that sort of brainstorming.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
quote:
WTF? Not what I was saying.

I thought it was what you were saying in one part of your over-busy deconstruction. With a reference suggesting that I should accept, along with my other thoughts, the option of people being "ignorant or delusional".

If it wasn't, then I... don't care all that much really.

So, when did the Hellhost lounge start being stocked with LSD? And why isn't there a warning about mixing it with the GIN?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

There is indeed much romanticizing about Appalachian clans in certain regions of the US. Less than hilariously, one can argue the Klan used the glamor of the Border Reivers to give their own outfit more cultural resonance.
That was, as you say, hilarious. And mind expanding - I knew about the Cavaliers in Virginia, but not about the implications. And, obviously, about the Puritans and the Quakers. But not about the Reivers.

The comments below were even more interesting, as they segued into a debate about your Civil War* as if it were still in progress.

*which seems to have been a continuation of ours after a long intermission.

Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
That was, as you say, hilarious. And mind expanding

Glad you liked it! I howled, but then wondered if I was biased. My family live near the Scottish Borders, and (as with many people here) my ancestors were Reavers 350 years ago. There's nothing left of Reaver attitudes in the area now - the Borders are no wilder than any other rural part of the UK.
quote:
The comments below were even more interesting, as they segued into a debate about your Civil War* as if it were still in progress.
Slate Star Codex is an interesting site. It's heavily tied into the Rationalist community, and it's one of the few places I've seen where the hard left and extreme right discuss issues without it turning too nasty. The blog's owner, Scott Alexander, is (IMO) an amazing bloke.
Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
So, when did the Hellhost lounge start being stocked with LSD? And why isn't there a warning about mixing it with the GIN?

I bought it while on sabbatical.

NEXT!

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
That was, as you say, hilarious. And mind expanding

Glad you liked it! I howled, but then wondered if I was biased. My family live near the Scottish Borders, and (as with many people here) my ancestors were Reavers 350 years ago. There's nothing left of Reaver attitudes in the area now - the Borders are no wilder than any other rural part of the UK.
quote:
Slate Star Codex is an interesting site. It's heavily tied into the Rationalist community, and it's one of the few places I've seen where the hard left and extreme right discuss issues without it turning too nasty. The blog's owner, Scott Alexander, is (IMO) an amazing bloke.

I remember much being made of Neil Armstrong's family's association with moon phases back in the past at some time close to the landings.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016