homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Fucking Guns (Page 34)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fucking Guns
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
And Pat Robertson is always reliable. How the man call call himself a follower of Christ is a mystery to me. Any time someone wants to throw mud at the church, he's the one they throw.

You do know this is a satire site, right?
Oh dear, is it really? Tch. Although that he is the object of such satire says something too.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just read somewhere that Trump has said Obama should resign because he omitted to use the term 'radical Islam' in his speech.
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Yeah, terrorism, my ass. A private citizen decided he didn't like what two other private citizens were doing, so he got a readily available weapon and started eliminating people he didn't like.

Without wishing to put your posterior under too much pressure, how does that differ from terrorism? It seems to me as though this is exactly the same as the lone shooter who attacks an abortion clinic.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Yeah, terrorism, my ass. A private citizen decided he didn't like what two other private citizens were doing, so he got a readily available weapon and started eliminating people he didn't like.

Without wishing to put your posterior under too much pressure, how does that differ from terrorism? It seems to me as though this is exactly the same as the lone shooter who attacks an abortion clinic.
I guess it depends how you define terrorism. I usually use the term to mean "the use of violence by non-governmental actors to achieve a political end." As such, the Pulse shooting would qualify, if the guy was trying to somehow roll back gay- rights in the USA.

But if he was just trying to express a personal animosity toward gays, then I might not apply the word.

Some might also factor in whether or not the shooter was acting alone, or as part of an organized group, but I don't see that as relevant, if a political motive has already been established.

And yes, I would call the anti-abortion shooters terrorists, even though I suppose their immediate goal is not to change the law, but to prevent people from performing or having abortions.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I've just read somewhere that Trump has said Obama should resign because he omitted to use the term 'radical Islam' in his speech.

Of course, Christian homophobes will want to blame this on Islam, not homophobia, thus letting themselves off the hook. Let's not let them get away with it. Let's keep reminding the world that that Christians kill queer folk too, and in some countries, are happy to do it legally.

<pedant>
And the reason that Obama does not use the words "radical" Islam is because he knows that the word "radical" doesn't just mean extreme. It comes from the word "radix", meaning root or source. If "radical" Islam is violent, that means the root of Islam is violence. He won't say that because it's not true, even though some people will say it is because he's secretly a gay Muslim.
</pedant>

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
I guess it depends how you define terrorism. I usually use the term to mean "the use of violence by non-governmental actors to achieve a political end." As such, the Pulse shooting would qualify, if the guy was trying to somehow roll back gay- rights in the USA.

But if he was just trying to express a personal animosity toward gays, then I might not apply the word. ...

But he didn't kill the two guys in the mall at the time he saw them kissing; he premeditated and planned and murdered a whole bunch of other people. Politics includes a hell of a lot more than just legislating, and I'd lay dollars to doughnuts he never read {I}Obergefell[/I]. Humans are political animals, 24/7. How can killing a group of people and terrorizing millions of others not be political?

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I would say that by its rhetoric, the anti-LGBTQ faction create guys like this do do their dirty work for them. They are pursuing their political ends by radicalizing downmarket homophobes to kill. It may not have been conscious terrorism by the shooter, but it is the anti-LGBTQ faction as a whole that is acting politically.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...... It may not have been conscious terrorism by the shooter, but it is the anti-LGBTQ faction as a whole that is acting politically.

FWIW,

This NYTimes twitter essay by by their ISIS expert writer pretty much shows that the Orlando massacre was conscious terrorism but that terrorism in the name of ISIS requires only certain words be said.

i.e. Lone Wolf types affected by anti-LGBT or anti-(something else Western) are now part of ISIS' terrorism plans.

The guns are the method of course. But the hate is home grown and then used by ISIS.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Hate-mongers must be so confused. A guy kills 50 people at a gay club in the name of radical Islam ... who do they cheer for?

That's exactly what D. and I were saying about it; they won't know which way to turn.

I suppose as long as they're hating somebody they'll be happy ... [Disappointed]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
He won't say that because it's not true, even though some people will say it is because he's secretly a gay Muslim.
</pedant>

Just read that. ROTFL. Especially because, per the comments, it's originally from a satire site! 2 people posting sanely, but the others...

And torturing a Secret Service agent, by making him listen to Diana Ross?! I wonder if the original satirist watched the Cold War era comedy film "One, Two, Three"? A young Russian is made to listen to "Yellow Polka-Dot Bikini".

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:

Of course, Christian homophobes will want to blame this on Islam, not homophobia, thus letting themselves off the hook. Let's not let them get away with it. Let's keep reminding the world that that Christians kill queer folk too, and in some countries, are happy to do it legally.

<pedant>
And the reason that Obama does not use the words "radical" Islam is because he knows that the word "radical" doesn't just mean extreme. It comes from the word "radix", meaning root or source. If "radical" Islam is violent, that means the root of Islam is violence. He won't say that because it's not true, even though some people will say it is because he's secretly a gay Muslim.
</pedant>

I don't think that's quite right; he's certainly not averse to the term "radicalization", which he used twice in this address.

He wants to avoid associating the terrorists with Islam because it would legitimate their own position; as he says, "They are not religious leaders; they are terrorists."

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
And Pat Robertson is always reliable. How the man call call himself a follower of Christ is a mystery to me. Any time someone wants to throw mud at the church, he's the one they throw.

You do know this is a satire site, right?
Even some legit news sources mistakenly picked up that story--presumably because it's so like many other things Robertson really said, in the past.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
quote:
Hate-mongers must be so confused. A guy kills 50 people at a gay club in the name of radical Islam ... who do they cheer for?

The guns.

They will and already are focusing on the guns.

I belong to a San Francisco History Facebook group. This morning a guy posted several photos of notable Pride parades, and we all thanked him and sort of collected for a while to have a little cry and admire the pics, while people shared updates on the Orlando situation. Then some Arizona expat came in."This is exactly why I never leave the house unarmed. "

I didn't respond-- didn't trust myself-- but I looked long and hard at his profile pic, so I could walk the other way if I saw him coming.

[ 13. June 2016, 03:09: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Turns out they're not confused at all.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

And I'm sure that someone, somewhere, is saying, "oh, if only they'd all had guns!"

ETA: This is in response to Kelly.

[ 13. June 2016, 04:53: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

"Orlando Is My City. And I’m Sick Of This Sh*t" (HuffPost).

Good blog post re gun control--even a total ban. And, of course, a couple of commenters did say it would've been different if the club attendees had guns.

--------------------

# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hundreds of people all with guns, together, in bars getting drunk, or stoned or both and interacting with their hormones in a place designed to elicit sensual responses.

What could go wrong?

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Justin Welby can fuck off. I don't want to hear a damn word from those who've never stood up for LGBTQ people in the past. Nothing. You don't get kudos for any version of "at least WE don't hate you enough to kill you." Conservative Christians this is not your moment. Replace your disrespectful silence at our oppression with respectful silence at our mourning.

--------------------
Our God is an awesome God. Much better than that ridiculous God that Desert Bluffs has. - Welcome to Night Vale

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hundreds of people all with guns, together, in bars getting drunk, or stoned or both and interacting with their hormones in a place designed to elicit sensual responses.

What could go wrong?

They could hold hands with someone of the wrong gender.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hundreds of people all with guns...

[i]All[i] with guns? Uh, no. Proliferation of guns is a huge problem here, but could you try to absorb the notion that we don't all carry guns?
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Hundreds of people all with guns...

All with guns? Uh, no. Proliferation of guns is a huge problem here, but could you try to absorb the notion that we don't all carry guns?
I think he was snarking about the wisdom that people drinking and dancing in a bar would have been safer if they had been armed.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Turns out they're not confused at all.

The bloke in that article strikes me as that most dangerous combination - a bigot crossed with an idiot.

[Mad]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still think Chris Rock was onto something. In a country where gun ownership is pretty damn close to being a religion enshrined in law, why not punitively tax bullets?

I think $5,000 per shot was the proposed level.

That said, I can imagine there'd still be some who'd starve their families just to be able to fire their weapons at someone else, even if they're not part of any kind of well regulated militia.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The other suggestion, which I kind of like, is to gin up a public push for all gay people to buy guns. And black people too, of course. Lots of ads with big black men holding heavy assault weaponry, and cross-dressers locking and loading. Gun control legislation would pass so quickly your head would spin. Because of course the second amendment is really only supposed to apply to white straight men.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Americans? Here's the White House petition to ban AR-15s.

--------------------

# 3200

quote:
The other suggestion, which I kind of like, is to gin up a public push for all gay people to buy guns. And black people too, of course. Lots of ads with big black men holding heavy assault weaponry, and cross-dressers locking and loading. Gun control legislation would pass so quickly your head would spin. Because of course the second amendment is really only supposed to apply to white straight men.

I think you underestimate the fetish/eroticism behind the "People should be able to own any big assed gun they can afford" movement. They don't care who as long as they can (in theory).

Its aspirational spending actually, not all that different mentally to these people then when they choose to get a venti at Starbucks over a cup of coffee at a local diner (and yes, , the assumption that gun acquirers are all good old boy types is false).

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am sick and tired of this thread. I have had enough of reading every single story, every single link, about every new death, every new massacre. Every one is unique and different, and yet, after all this time, they blend together. Every time, we talk, we discuss, we try to explain to one another, those of us over here try to please just reban stupid assault weapons its a startpleaseohplease, and then, it happens again.

I can't close it. I don't want to close it. I want it to sink to the bottom of Hell and be culled, consigned to some dark reach of Oblivion where not even our search function can find it.

Just put the guns down and go home. Please. It's not worth it.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Black Panthers were among a number of Black people who were armed. It didn't always end well.

I've been watching all the erstwhile homophobes like Huckabee take a break to condemn the killings while not mentioning that they were killed because they were LBGT. I don't know if Trump mentioned they were mostly Latino as well in his attempt to smear Muslims.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Don't worry, we wouldn't use them or anything. Except for protection.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

Don't worry, we wouldn't use them or anything. Except for protection.
What? Are you saying black people need to protect themselves? Against who, white people? REVERSE RACISM! REVERSE RACISM!

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
And I'm sure that someone, somewhere, is saying, "oh, if only they'd all had guns!"

ETA: This is in response to Kelly.

Yep. An erstwhile poster on these very boards posted a meme on that Bookface thing to that very effect. She got pretty sort shrift from most people.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Interesting movement in Congress:

"Democrats Launch Filibuster-Style Blockade On Guns" (HuffPost). Ever see "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington"? That's a filibuster. You keep talking, until the other side gives in.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Interesting movement in Congress:

"Democrats Launch Filibuster-Style Blockade On Guns" (HuffPost). Ever see "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington"? That's a filibuster. You keep talking, until the other side gives in.

Don't know how much good it will do, but many of us Americans, heartbroken by a long, long season of death, are cheered by his efforts.

Oh, and here's another take on filibusters: by the grandfathers.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

"How Alexander Hamilton solved America's gun problem — 228 years ago" (The Week). Author looks into the writings of Founding Father Alexander Hamilton, and explores the possibility of controlling guns by mandating that owners join a state militia! (Hoping that people would keep an eye on each other.) Long, but interesting, IMHO.

Of course, Hamilton died in a gun(?) duel with Aaron Burr; but Wikipedia suggests that Burr asked for the duel.

[ 16. June 2016, 08:21: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And now we have a case. Nobody dead, though victim critical.

MP shot

Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She's died now. I don't know what to make of this situation. [Votive]

--------------------
Our God is an awesome God. Much better than that ridiculous God that Desert Bluffs has. - Welcome to Night Vale

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

David Cameron looked absolutely genuine in his speech.
One of the witnesses thought it was a homemade gun.
And they are being very careful about the early reports of what the man said.
Shocking.
And one of the good ones.
And her children - it doesn't bear thinking of.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was an interesting piece on radio 4, saying the vast majority of this specific type of attacks are carried out by fixated mentally ill individuals.

The metropolitan police apparently have a fixated threat assessment unit jointly with the health service to manage this kind of risk.

He was talking about increasing the safety of backbench mps (the lower profile mps who don't have protection details) by increasing their awareness of identifying risky individuals and sourcing help - rather than simply seeing them as something they must just put up with.

He said there have usually been multiple problematic contatcs between the assailant and the target beforehand. E.g. The last mp who was stabbed at his constituency surgery a couple of years ago, (fortunately he survived), had been visited by his assailant at the surgery on over a hundred previous occasions.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/16/jo-cox-mp-everything-we-know-so-far-about-thomas-mair/

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

That is very odd. Apart from the usual quote about being a quiet loner who kept himself to himself, which doesn't match the story of his activities, there doesn't seem to be anything to trigger what he did.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

He may have made a good recovery from serious illness, then subsequently relapsed - or the mental illness could have nothing to do with it.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Found a thing: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixated_Threat_Assessment_Centre

Seems like they do a decent job, but no system is perfect.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Audio of today's White House conference call on assault rifles, from the White House site:

Got an invitation to this for signing an petition. I didn't participate and I haven't listened to this, yet, but thought it might be of interest.

quote:
Special call on civilian ownership of the AR-15 with Valerie Jarrett, Senior Advisor and Assistant to the President for Intergovernmental Affairs and Public Engagement.

On the call, we'll talk about the need to renew the assault weapons ban and the different gun safety measures the Senate is set to vote on in the coming week.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In late breaking news, the Senate has rejected all gun control proposals currently before it.

What is it that the French say about plus ça change . . . ? [Help]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Grrrrr.

On a practical basis, I do have questions about the approaches based on the no-fly list and the terror watch list. AIUI, the no-fly list only lists names, with no other info, so the list can be wildly inaccurate. Even Sen. Ted Kennedy was pulled aside. So anyone whose name matched could be refused gun purchase.

And if someone on the terror watch list tries to legally buy a gun and is refused, won't that warn them that they're on the list?

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And if someone on the terror watch list tries to legally buy a gun and is refused, won't that warn them that they're on the list?

Not if they've already been interviewed by the FBI three times.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're only a known terrorist.

Never mind, in the USA it's still your God-given constitutional right to legally buy and carry a [semi-]automatic rifle, and [it follows] to shoot anyone you feel like [in self-defense of of course].

No wonder the rest of world thinks it's a madhouse. (My wife is reluctant to enter the country even as a tourist, and she's as WASP as anyone.)

[ 21. June 2016, 09:54: Message edited by: Tukai ]

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Madhouse? You ain't seen nothin' yet! The news this morning is that a Florida congressional candidate is raffling off an AK-15, claiming that it's necessary for the defense of our country. Against what, I'd like to know -- the likes of him? [Mad]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Madhouse? You ain't seen nothin' yet! The news this morning is that a Florida congressional candidate is raffling off an AK-15, claiming that it's necessary for the defense of our country. Against what, I'd like to know -- the likes of him? [Mad]

A Colt Armalite rifle chambering WARPAC 7.62mm short? Never heard of a STANAG Kalashnikov mag...
[Waterworks]

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

"U.S. House Democrats hold 'sit-in' demanding gun control vote" (Yahoo), and some senators have joined. Don't know the current status. But good for them!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016