homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Fucking Guns (Page 39)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fucking Guns
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
He's a murderer. Full stop. He murdered 59 people because he was angry and depressed and he wanted to die and take a lot of people with him. He wanted to quit existing, but be remembered.

Though we have no way of looking inside someone's head to determine why they acted as they did, I think there's probably some truth in this. Ultimately it looks like his reasons for doing what he did were all about him - about his mental health, his background, his girldfriend trotting off to Tokyo, his gambling problems ... whatever his problems were. It was about him.

Terrorists have a cause, they do what they do by some twisted, evil logic that says their atrocities will further their cause - whether political or religious, often both. It isn't about them, it's about the cause.

There is, of course, an overlap where people with issues take on the mantle of some cause unrelated to their problems, and then commit atrocities that are both about them and the cause. That does not appear to be the case in this instance, but is probably very common for terrorist acts.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not aware of any terrorism that is religiously motivated in any primary or meaningful way.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
White and wealthy man kills many = ‘Lone Wolf’

It even sounds film-like.

Has the USA become one big entertainment show? The president seems to think so with his sham grief and ‘prayers’.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had initially wondered if he was an extreme fundamentalist Christian, who wanted to execute righteous divine judgement on the iniquitous Sodom of Las Vegas. But that's clearly not the case.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm slightly surprised that no swivel-eyed right-wing fundamentalist loon hasn't come out of the woodwork to claim exactly that.

Yet.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Egeria
Shipmate
# 4517

- Posted      Profile for Egeria     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
He's a murderer.

That's right. And there are other designations that don't get used nearly often enough, especially on the news. They apply to all these murderers, including those two snot-nosed little worthless brats in Arkansas who killed a bunch of elementary school classmates.

Loser. Coward. Failure. Loser. Coward. Failure.

And the sheriff in Oregon who handled a case like this was absolutely right when he said not to repeat their names more than absolutely necessary. Because the twisted little subhuman garbage wants to be famous.

--------------------
"Sound bodies lined / with a sound mind / do here pursue with might / grace, honor, praise, delight."--Rabelais

Posts: 314 | From: Berkeley, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
I'm not aware of any terrorism that is religiously motivated in any primary or meaningful way.

Then you are probably using one of the terms "terrorism" or "religiously motivated" in a different way to most other people. Or maybe the word "not"?
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin always uses terms in different ways to everyone else. Haven't you learnt that yet?

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is it with this US thing about 'losers'?

Plenty of people 'lose'. Loads of people aren't successful, shiny or squeaky clean.

If someone is a 'loser' is it all their fault?

I'm sorry, but I'm going to bring in some Pond Differences here.

When my brother worked on a kids' camp in Maine in the summer of 1980 he was shocked at the way one of the 'counsellors' was treated by staff and kids alike. This lad's father had been a business-man of some kind but the business had gone bust.

Failure. Failure. The F word in US terms?

So his mother thought it'd be a good idea for him to spend the summer at the camp because at least that way he'd get some kind of holiday (vacation) as they could no longer afford such a thing.

He'd help out with the games, play baseball, go swimming, help the kids with arts and crafts ...

But no, as soon as the bastard who ran the camp and the spoiled brats who attended it found out that his dad was a ... failure, a loser ... they treated him like shit.

He had to clean the toilets, scrub the floors. They treated like a skivvy. He didn't get to play baseball, he didn't to join in with the games, he didn't get to go water-skiing on the lake.

He didn't get to do jack-shit other than scrub tables, wash dishes, clean the john and do all the shitty jobs that no-one else wanted to do.

Now, he didn't go out and buy a high-velocity rifle and come in and take all the mother-fuckers out ...

But I expect he was scarred by the experience.

I know this probably sounds like some cheap-jack jibe against the American Dream and all that malarkey but it's not unrelated to this shit in Las Vegas.

I'm not saying that our society isn't fucked up. It probably is, but in a different kind of way.

You guys have fucked things up.

Fucked them right up.

'Loser. Coward. Failure. Loser. Coward. Failure.'

It's by mantras like this and setting yourselves up as if the sun shines out of your arse from shore to shining shore that the climate is created for all this fucking gun shit and fucking bollocks.

Rant over.

Sort it out. You twats.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Observing the news, certainly the people being shot and shot at were terrorised. The individual shooting knew that he was shooting into a crowd. He had an arsenal of rapid fire weapons. The act created terror.

This lonely wolf shot people with a machinegun, a weapon which purpose is to kill as many soldiers as possible as efficiently and quickly as possible at 700 shots a minute. Would it have been good if the music fans had machine-guns too? Because they could have had a firefight with the lonewolf. 'Because the best answer to a bad guy with a gun is a crowd of good guys with guns' which is what a terrorist organization called the NRA said. This terrorist organization's belief system is all about guns. So this lonewolf is a terrorist, and the terrorist organization is the NRA, and the leader of the country is in their camp. American gun amendment people, love Donald Trump, and love guns: "Second amendment people", and, Guns in his own words. So tell me again how this isn't about terror.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
I'm slightly surprised that no swivel-eyed right-wing fundamentalist loon hasn't come out of the woodwork to claim exactly that.

Yet.

IJ

They did. Passed it by on my twitter feed this morning. Disrespecting the President, not standing for the National Anthem.

Can't remember which right-wing loon it was, though.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:

When my brother worked on a kids' camp in Maine in the summer of 1980

Your brother's experience doesn't sound like anything I've ever encountered. I went to several camps and none of us had the slightest idea what anyone else's father did for a living much less how successful he was at it. Your second hand experience does not define this country.

Nothing you've just said relates to the crime that just happened in Las Vegas. The perpetrator had retired from a good career as an accountant, had made a lots of money in real estate and was living well.

I doubt if anyone was calling him a loser. I'm not used to hearing the term much outside of the "Rocky," movies.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What is it with this US thing about 'losers'?

American gun violence is due to the culture and the time to talk about it is today and every day. But most of the Americans on this board are as appalled as you are. So, for their sake, chill.
Stephan Fry, expounding in the difference between British and American comedy, hits on a key difference in the cultures generally. So this goes to motivation of particular individuals.
However, Brits are every bit as violent as Yanks. Every bit as prone trying to hurt each other. The difference is guns. And part of the myth of America is tied to the gun and to the independence it represents.
The key to the problem is breaking this link. And, as far as I can see, this is more towards a vocal minority and political power-brokering than any other factor.

[ 03. October 2017, 16:19: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I doubt if anyone was calling him a loser. I'm not used to hearing the term much outside of the "Rocky," movies.

It seems like everyone - from the POTUS down - thinks that the way to "not let the gunman win" is to call him a loser.

It seems pretty inappropriate in this case. The only "loser" thing this guy has done is to randomly kill strangers, the rest of his life seems to have been one of a "winner".

I guess the idea is that if one calls him names then he doesn't start to become an icon in the way that past mass-murderers (arguably) have. I'm not entirely sure this works.

--------------------
arse

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The motivation of this shooter or any other is unimportant. The important factor is the availability of guns. There is a mass shooting* in the US every day, on average.
It is the availability of guns and the mistaken idea that it makes one safer to have them that needs to be solved.

*4 or more people

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
It seems like everyone - from the POTUS down - thinks that the way to "not let the gunman win" is to call him a loser.

Putting the problem with the gunman allows people to ignore the real problem. It shifts focus to an “other”. It is the same motivation as pinning problems on foreigners or immigrants. A convenient screen to hide the real issue.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Egeria
Shipmate
# 4517

- Posted      Profile for Egeria     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess Gamaliel didn't notice the context here. Murdering innocent, defenseless strangers for whatever "reason" pretty much defines a loser. And a coward. I don't know or care what kind of the career the murderer had, or what kind of idiotic justification he (almost always a he) came up with for despicable acts. Millions and millions of people toil away in jobs for which they are poorly paid and for which they get little or no respect. But they still manage to be decent, generous, kind human beings. They still manage to live by the Golden Rule. They are not losers, even though crass tycoons (who in terms of social responsibility and decent behavior themselves are often losers--check out the White House for a good example) may think of them that way.

--------------------
"Sound bodies lined / with a sound mind / do here pursue with might / grace, honor, praise, delight."--Rabelais

Posts: 314 | From: Berkeley, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
The motivation of this shooter or any other is unimportant. The important factor is the availability of guns. There is a mass shooting* in the US every day, on average.
It is the availability of guns and the mistaken idea that it makes one safer to have them that needs to be solved.

*4 or more people

Exactly. It's not about whether he was called a loser or is called a terrorist or had a bad childhood or is an American. It's about a man snapping and having access to guns. Big, powerful, long range guns.
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:

Yet.

IJ

They did. Passed it by on my twitter feed this morning. Disrespecting the President, not standing for the National Anthem.

Can't remember which right-wing loon it was, though.

Pat Robertson
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Projectile]

What a sick bastard.

I know there are millions of good Christian folk in America - so WHY do you allow these loons to appear to speak for you?

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We still hear this phrase about people,( invariably males) , snapping. Yet evidence suggests that random mass killers do not have a sudden brainstorm, but secretly think/fantasise about the event, sometimes long before.

They plan for it, as this latest case demonstrates, and then at the precise and chosen moment they execute it.
These people are usually interested in the gun they are also subconsciously intoxicated with the idea of it’s destructive power.

If the UK allowed public gun ownership the same as the States then we would have the same problems. It really is as simple as that.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
We still hear this phrase about people,( invariably males) , snapping. Yet evidence suggests that random mass killers do not have a sudden brainstorm, but secretly think/fantasise about the event, sometimes long before.

They plan for it, as this latest case demonstrates, and then at the precise and chosen moment they execute it.
These people are usually interested in the gun they are also subconsciously intoxicated with the idea of it’s destructive power.

If the UK allowed public gun ownership the same as the States then we would have the same problems. It really is as simple as that.

This is it in a nutshell.

I can’t beleive that no-one noticed or cared that he was amassing 40 guns.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's not about whether he was called a loser or is called a terrorist or had a bad childhood or is an American. It's about a man snapping and having access to guns. Big, powerful, long range guns.

I see Twilight's stance, and take a step further. To dismiss the perpetrator as a "loser" is an ineffectual way to establish him as "other". The very idea that such a dismissal is explanatory is part of the very core of the problem. Because if the narrative is that this person was a "loser", then the supposed answer is to stop people from being so-called losers. Either by identifying them earlier on as losers, or by the wishful thinking that people won't want to be called losers.

And that's fucking stupid. This is US. WE are capable of having really fucking shitty days. WE are illogical creatures with fragile fatty blobs soaking in hormones making all our decisions. WE can have poor impulse control. WE can have dark fantasies. And that is why WE need sensible gun-control laws that are enforced.

I fucking love guns. They're cool. They're tools for some very specific tasks. But they serve no necessary purpose for civilians.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Calling people names is a juvenile way to dismiss them, and hence avoid the need to actually address the problems as adults. Though to call someone juvenile because they call someone else a loser is equally juvenile, even if it's true.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw this documentary, which looks at one particular case. I'm surprised that, since it's quite old, nothing's been done about it.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonah the Whale:
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:

Then you are probably using one of the terms "terrorism" or "religiously motivated" in a different way to most other people. Or maybe the word "not"?
Not at all. I just don't see religion as a significant determinant of terrorism compared with other more tangible socioeconomic factors.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
Originally posted by Egeria:
I guess Gamaliel didn't notice the context here. Murdering innocent, defenseless strangers for whatever "reason" pretty much defines a loser. And a coward. I don't know or care what kind of the career the murderer had, or what kind of idiotic justification he (almost always a he) came up with for despicable acts. Millions and millions of people toil away in jobs for which they are poorly paid and for which they get little or no respect. But they still manage to be decent, generous, kind human beings. They still manage to live by the Golden Rule. They are not losers, even though crass tycoons (who in terms of social responsibility and decent behavior themselves are often losers--check out the White House for a good example) may think of them that way.

Hmmm. So RAF Bomber Command and the USAAF were cowardly losers?

--------------------
Love wins

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

quote:
[Projectile]

What a sick bastard.

I know there are millions of good Christian folk in America - so WHY do you allow these loons to appear to speak for you?

IJ

Because we have freedom of speech here?
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Question from a stupid Canadian who doesn't know much about guns:

Is there any legitimate use for semi-automatic guns that doesn't involve killing people? I can understand rifles for hunting and sport-shooting.

If there isn't any, then in my mind, banning these weapons is rational in the interest of preventing violence.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

This man sells machine guns "20 minutes from the Strip."

Shop owner who sold to gunman.

Mr. Cheesey reminded me of The Onion's great articles, so after reading them all afternoon I actually started laughing while reading this NY Times one. It's so unreal!

It reminded me of the LA mayor who said something like, "We're so sorry this happened on our fabulous famous Strip." Getting in an advertisement in the middle of everything.

I don't think this is God's punishment for the existence of Las Vegas, but I do think it's the perfect tourist town to boycott until Nevada changes its gun laws. It's not as though anyone promised the kids a trip to the casinos for their birthdays and a honeymoon without legalized prostitution and the slot machines wouldn't really be such a bad thing.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Twilight said:

quote:
Fair comment. Pity about the gun laws, though.

IJ

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just had to turn the TV off.

Whilst I try to hold an open mind on most things, albeit with a large helping cynicism, I could not sit there and listen to member of the NRA call the massacre in Las Vegas 'unfortunate'. Then go on to dodge direct questions about US citizens being free to amass rapid firing guns and ammunition.

It’s like these folks are from a different planet, talking a different language [Disappointed]

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, I didn't miss the context Egregia.

It's probably a semantic thing and a Pond difference but to my mind calling the perpetrator a 'loser' trivialises the whole thing.

Heartless, callous, selfish fucker is probably a more appropriate term.

The term 'loser' to me conjures up that whole devil take the hindmost attitude I was jabbing at, albeit second-hand, in my brother's first hand experience of a kids' camp in Maine where you couldn't ecebake the beds without it becoming some kind of competitive activity.

The whole culture on that camp has nothing to do with team work or creativity and everything to do with competition not a crass and ugly kind. Of course, I'm not saying it was a microcosm of US society in general, as my brother found when he hitch-hiked afterwards up into Canada, across to Vancouver, down to San Francisco and then back across all those great big, empty States in the middle to Washington DC and onto New York and home.

I probably did resort to stereotyping though. I've met some really horrible and brattish US evangelical kids in my time, but then, a lot of our feckless yoof aren't anything to boast about.

But no, you're all right. This isn't about 'winners' and 'losers' but the ability to walk into a store and come out with enough hardware and ammunition to mow down over 500 people in a single sitting.

That's what needs to be addressed.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:

Well, if you didn't mean to do that, it's a hell of a Freudian slip.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
I see Twilight's stance, and take a step further. To dismiss the perpetrator as a "loser" is an ineffectual way to establish him as "other".

Trump is fond of calling people losers. And, as we all know, he likes winners. He's not alone in this - dismissing someone as a "loser" is a particularly American insult.

The thing is, some people are losers. Some people just aren't very good at anything. Some people have some bad luck, and some people don't have much self-motivation. Some people have an average amount of those things, but start from a disadvantaged position, so that they never amount to anything significant.

Those people are still people. Those people are our brothers and sisters, formed in the image of God. Maybe it's time we started treating them like it.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

G. That would limit freedom. Airports are safe-ish (Brussells...) because of security technology. That's all that possibly can and will change.

[ 03. October 2017, 22:58: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
Those people are still people. Those people are our brothers and sisters, formed in the image of God. Maybe it's time we started treating them like it.

We can be guided just a little from the examples of the sort of losers Jesus hung out with. (you loser!)
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:

Well, if you didn't mean to do that, it's a hell of a Freudian slip.
Beautiful!
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
Twilight said:

quote:
Fair comment. Pity about the gun laws, though.

IJ

Yeahhhh. I'm sure it's just Olde Worlde me seeing a correlation there.

--------------------
Love wins

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
So, for hunting it may be useful to have a rifle that can fire two bullets in quick succession. That doesn't require a rifle with a magazine that holds dozens of bullets, nor the ability to quickly reload with dozens of bullets.

No, it doesn't. I imagine if I was hunting something like bear (that might attack and kill me) rather than deer or something, then I'd want more than two. But I can't stretch my imagination far enough to feel like I needed more than 10 rounds in the magazine. (Mind you, if I was going to go and try and shoot a bear, I think I'd also want something with a little more authority that 5.56 NATO.)

One always hears gun advocates talking about how mass shooters are unusual, not representative of the vast numbers of decent law-abiding gun owners, and so on. I accept that - most people aren't going to take their guns and shoot a bunch of people.

But some people are, and until he did, nobody thought that this guy was going to. There weren't any real signs that he wanted to commit mass murder rather than just buy a bunch of guns and have fun shooting them.

And that's the thing. You can't predict it, so you can't tell which of the decent law-abiding people you sell a gun to will go crazy with it. Which means that (as is supported by all the statistics) your expected gun deaths will be in direct proportion to the prevalence of guns. Sell more guns, sell bigger guns, and you'll get more dead people.

I'd like to see the gun advocates admit that when they try to argue their case.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is very cogent, from the Post: a religion columnist calling out the hypocrisy of merely offering 'prayers & thoughts' when people are gunned down. She points out that nobody would offer mere prayers and thoughts if the perpetrator were a brown man named Mohammed; the legislative solutions would burgeon and seethe.

[ 03. October 2017, 23:49: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sell more guns, sell bigger guns, and you'll get more dead people.

This, unfortunately for most here on the ship, is directly contradicted by the facts.

Obama was a boon to gun sales in the US, and the murder rate has been in steady decline both before and during his tenure.

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
#1: Having more guns than you can count on your fingers and toes IS A WARNING SIGN!!!

#2: Anybody with more guns than they can count on their fingers and toes IS CAPABLE OF KILLING MANY PEOPLE.

So enough with the trying to figure out why he did it. HE DID IT BECAUSE HE COULD.

Fuck the NRA, fuck the GOP, and fuck everyone in the USA who has more guns than hands. And fuck everyone who thinks guns have anything to do with freedom - the 2nd Amendment was put in the Constitution so slave owners could have their guns and armed slave patrols - the exact opposite of freedom.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:

#2: Anybody with more guns than they can count on their fingers and toes IS CAPABLE OF KILLING MANY PEOPLE.

Anyone is capable of killing many people, dipshit.

Got a car?

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:

Anyone is capable of killing many people, dipshit.

Got a car?

Wow, your wrist must really be sore, short strokes though they may be.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No. The Second Amendment exists because the brand-new country was broke following the Revolution and couldn't afford a standing army. It therefore required the states to form militias, and required adult males to own and maintain arms and drill with their local militias to defend the new country.

There were, after all, still Brits in the now-ex-colonies, to say nothing of French, Spanish, and indigenous inhabitants not uniformly supportive of the new Republic.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Self-defense was also considered a basic right.

But the Second Amendment has been perverted to allow private ownership of weaponry that most of the Founders couldn't even imagine.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
So, for hunting it may be useful to have a rifle that can fire two bullets in quick succession. That doesn't require a rifle with a magazine that holds dozens of bullets, nor the ability to quickly reload with dozens of bullets.

No, it doesn't. I imagine if I was hunting something like bear (that might attack and kill me) rather than deer or something, then I'd want more than two.
Back when I hunted with my father, I had a 6mm (.243) Remington bolt action which had an internal clip for 4, and you could chamber one more for 5. I never shot more than 2 any day of my life hunting. For moose in the fall, which are more dangerous than bear (and wolves), .30-06 Browning (said thirty ought six, 7.62 mm), also bolt action, could also hold 5 bullets. This would be used for a bear if there was ever any reason to ever shoot one. Which there isn't because people generally don't eat bears because they feed on rotting things. If you hunt like normal people, you hunt with some other people, such that if you shoot something someone else is also holding a rifle as well. Or you don't shoot, and wait for another chance. Only complete f---ups and idiots blast away repeatedly away at animals which are running away and too far to hit reliably. Most years when hunting I shot one bullet at a target, and one at an animal for a grand total of 2. I see no reason to have more than 5 bullets in your gun. By law, if using a shotgun for hunting birds (ducks, geese, grouse etc) you have to plug the magazine so you cannot fire more than 3 without reloading. And you cannot carry more than one shotgun. Haven't hunted for 40 years but I certainly remember.

I recall the change in law that disallowed any carrying of handguns as additional precaution when hunting, which must be close to 40 years ago too. Because there is absolutely no purpose to it and if you're panicked with a handgun, you might point it at your friends and I don't want to go anywhere near or with you.

While I'm at it, if you're not hunting, there is no reason at all to carry a rifle no matter where you are. Except the Arctic re polar bears and in some rare places where too many grizzly bears congregate.

[ 04. October 2017, 02:25: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ohher:
No. ...

Yes.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
...Only complete f---ups and idiots blast away repeatedly away at animals which are running away and too far to hit reliably. ... While I'm at it, if you're not hunting, there is no reason at all to carry a rifle no matter where you are. Except the Arctic re polar bears and in some rare places where too many grizzly bears congregate.

Ahh-men.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016