homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Fucking Guns (Page 45)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  42  43  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fucking Guns
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Mentally ill white dude carries legal gun into church murdering a few sinful Christians.

There isn't the slightest indication that this man had a diagnosed mental illness.

Neither was he a terrorist. Terrorists are working for political organizations. Calling this man a terrorist dignifies his actions. He wasn't killing for a cause.

He was a heinous, vile, ignorant, angry murderer who hated his mother-in-law and all her friends.

Republicans only care about mental illness when they're trying to deflect blame from the gun issue. Trump recently over-turned an Obama-era bill to keep mentally ill people from buying guns. If he succeeds in repealing Obama-care millions of mentally ill people will no longer get care. It will be tragic for them, but it wont really make a big difference in the number of gun deaths every year because most of those are perpetrated by, "sane," people.

Nail head. Hammer. Contact.
With a caveat: Making it harder for the mentally ill and people with a history of violence to buy guns won't make a statistical difference in the number of American gun deaths.
However, those 26 Texans and their families would have been better off had Texas gun laws that approached reasonable.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 16931 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One would hope that a history of convicted violent offences would be sufficient cause to deny gun (or at least assault weapon) ownership - regardless of any definitively diagnosed mental illnesses.
Posts: 15143 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
One would hope that a history of convicted violent offences would be sufficient cause to deny gun (or at least assault weapon) ownership - regardless of any definitively diagnosed mental illnesses.

It would also be nice if the Air Force had actually done their job and entered his domestic violence court-martial into a federal database which would have blocked him from buying the rifle (or at least made it more difficult).
[Mad]

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9453 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right, there was no need to suggest a mental illness. He should not have been able to buy guns based on his criminal history and if the Air Force hadn't made a mistake he wouldn't have been able to buy those guns.

Still, I doubt if that would have stopped him. People intent on murder usually don't have scruples about stealing.

I think the only answer to our gun problem is the sort of ban Australia has. All the gun "control" laws that try to keep guns from the bad guys, whether they be mentally ill or convicted felons are just distractions.

Look at some of our recent mass murders. Gun control laws wouldn't have kept the Las Vegas shooter from buying his guns, or the Sandy Hook shooter from using his mother's guns, or the Columbine shooters from getting an older friend to buy their guns, or the schizophrenic "Joker," who killed the people in the movie theater, from buying guns -- he hadn't been diagnoses yet.

Which points to the biggest problem with making psychiatrists report their patients to a gun control registry. It discourages the untreated mentally ill from seeking treatment while stigmatizing the ones who are getting treatment -- and mentally ill people who are taking their medication are actually less likely than the average person to commit a violent act.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Still, I doubt if that would have stopped him. People intent on murder usually don't have scruples about stealing.
the average person to commit a violent act.

Yeah, but why make it even easier for them.

Actually, it just might in some cases. Not because they could not steal them, with the number of guns in American society that is hardly difficult. Hint: if you want to make it hard to steal guns make it difficult to own them with laws such as they need to be kept in a locked cabinet. This makes it technically harder and also reduces the pool of guns available for stealing.

Rather because they would decide that they wanted to own the weapon they used and if they did not own it they could not use it. Yeah, weird logic but humans who do this sort of thing are not exactly logical. I am always struck by the ritualistic element to it. The owning of weapons seems, to me, just another part of the ritual.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20636 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I assume you are not allowed to bring weapons into the Capitol building or the White House.

If American politicians can be safe from the ravages of guns, why shouldn't ordinary American civilians.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4267 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
I assume you are not allowed to bring weapons into the Capitol building or the White House.

If American politicians can be safe from the ravages of guns, why shouldn't ordinary American civilians.

On the federal level, correct.

State laws vary - some have no prohibition whatsoever, and many allow carry permit holders to carry on the Capitol grounds (MN is one).

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 970 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You are in fact not allowed to carry weapons into the White House or the Capitol. But you will recall that the legislators are very very careful indeed to exempt themselves from all the laws they place upon us. Neither the employee regulations nor laws about abuse apply to them.
The National Rifle Association forbade the carrying of weapons into their national convention. If you put this into a novel, people would complain it was unbelievable.
From the Atlantic, an article summarizing why Congress is so limp on gun laws.

[ 07. November 2017, 18:45: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5659 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brenda's link just confirms my take on it.

Sure, as Jengie says, any controls would be helpful, but the opposition has consistently looked at any sort of gun control as the thin end of the wedge that's going to take away their beloved guns.

They fight just as hard to keep "bump stocks," legal as they would against a total ban. So why not go for the total ban? We have been begging for scraps for too many years. They will not compromise in the slightest, so it's time to say to hell with all their whining pleas to keep their guns for hunting, or for their collections, or to feel safe when their screen door squeaks in the night. I'm fed up.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It will only happen if the greater mass of people who support control will phone those spineless congressmen.
I would suggest a more subtle way. It is to make the gun makers/owners liable for the damages they cause. Empower insurance providers to sell insurance. That immediately transfers the onus and regulation of guns to the insurance people. It is how cars have steadily become safer; not because anyone wants to pay for seat belts but because insurance companies insist on them.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not convinced our sort of gun laws would work in the USA, if only because the penetration of weapons is so much deeper for you guys than it was for us in 1996. I think a crafted US solution is needed, but I appreciate that you're talking out of a place of anger Twilight, or at least I think you are.

On the film tangent, I have often thought that the hero saving the world/ fighting against the odds thing is unfortunate. Then I think that without such stories, we Westerners wouldn't be us. The story is ancient, with deep roots in our culture. One only has to mention The Odyssey or the norse sagas. Just don't mention any films.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1181 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm fed up, too.

But I suspect an all-out ban on guns would do far more harm than good:

--Most gun owners probably wouldn't turn in their guns, or not turn in all of them.

--The hardcore "the gov't is going to take us over, and the Founders were right that we periodically need a violent revolution" folks would have what they've been waiting for.

--The many folks who only have very mild concerns about the gov't maybe someday getting to that point will have their worst fears confirmed.

--Law enforcement officers (LEOs) knock on doors, asking if the resident might possibly have been too busy to drop off any guns they might have, and whether they'd let the LEOs take the guns away for them. (Alternatively, "bring us your guns, or we're gonna come in and search, and we don't need no stinkin' warrants".)

--A lot of folks, seeing only chaos, don't understand what's going on, and just want to keep themselves, their loved ones, and their property safe...and either get guns, or go totally off the grid somewhere.

--Civil war. Not just two sides, but all sorts of battles going on, all over the place, all the time.

What a world.
[Frown]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17969 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some Americans have this weird fetish for the Founders, it's almost crazy to think that George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, et al should have any bearing on present day political issues.

If they supported a right to bear arms, who cares? They are dead and buried, and do not have any claim to the living.

The British do not invoke Churchill to solve their problems nor do the French involve Charles De Gaulle.

[ 07. November 2017, 22:01: Message edited by: Anglican_Brat ]

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, the Brits invoke the spirit of WW2 though and past glories to inform present policies. The French certainly invoke their blood-soaked revolution to justify their tradition of protest.

--------------------
Human

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AB--

[Ultra confused]

Wow.

And what simontoad said.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"

Posts: 17969 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

A friend of mine of noted spiritual discernment posted:
"God has a message for Congress and the President of the United States regarding their ongoing thoughts and prayers:

When you extend your hands,
I'll hide my eyes from you.
Even when you pray for a long time,
I won't listen.
Your hands are stained with blood.
Wash! Be clean!
Remove your ugly deeds
from my sight.
Put an end to such evil;
learn to do good.
Seek justice:
help the oppressed;
defend the orphan;
plead for the widow.
(Isaiah 1:15-17)

Offer your "thoughts and prayers," but God isn't listening until you do something."

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Amen Brenda, amen.

--------------------
Human

Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I would suggest a more subtle way. It is to make the gun makers/owners liable for the damages they cause.

This information is also in the link I posted earlier to "Fully Loaded," but here is a more succinct reason why we cannot sue gun manufacturers.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 253 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There is such thing as "good guys with guns".

But when the bullets start flying they are indistinguishable from "bad guys with guns."

--------------------
“Religion doesn't fuck up people, people fuck up religion.”—lilBuddha

Posts: 63107 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From Brenda's link:

' “It’s hard to envision a foolproof way to prevent individual outrages by evil people,” Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell reportedly said on Monday in Kentucky.'

This is Republican bullshit. We can't think of something foolproof, so we're not going to do anything at all. Look, who gives a fuck about foolproof? Give us something that might work say 75% of the time. That will still save lives.

quote:
Remembering what I learned in Social Studies, when it comes to justifiable use of force by police causing a death, justification only applies if the police officer has a reasonable expectation of imminent danger.

In this country, judging by case law, "reasonable expectation of imminent danger" equals "he was black." We appear to have a surfeit of white-ass cops who shit their drawers whenever they see a young black man. And the rest of the cops protect them to the hilt because to turn traitor would guarantee them a permanent vacation without pay. The blue wall keeps young black men in danger of being killed at any traffic stop by Schrödinger's cop. Will I be a dead cat or a live cat? No way of knowing until I either drive away alive, or am shot because when I sneezed it looked like I was reaching for a rocket launcher.

quote:
mentally ill people who are taking their medication are actually less likely than the average person to commit a violent act.

They're probably less likely to buy a gun, too.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

But when the bullets start flying they are indistinguishable from "bad guys with guns."
...which is why I have a hard time understanding what the Colorado folks who bought guns after the theater shooting had in mind. (Other than that they were drowning in their own sheer terror.)

In a darkened theater, how do you (gen.) tell who the bad guy is? How do you accurately aim? And, when the cops come, how do *they* decide whether you're a good guy or a bad guy? They answer a report of an active shooter, walk in, and find you with a gun. Yeah, that's gonna go well.

Even moreso if the audience is mostly good guys with guns. Who are all trying to helpfully resolve the situation by shooting the shooter.

[ 08. November 2017, 00:40: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure the fact that the "good guy with a gun" in Sutherland Springs shot the killer and made him run away will be of enormous comfort to the families of the 26 people who were already dead by the time he got there.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 19605 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile, in my state there are two bills floating through the legislature making it legal for preschool and daycare personnel to carry concealed firearms. And they just sent a no- vote- required recommendation to the state Department of Natural Resources to establish a hunting season for sandhill cranes. Sandhill cranes.

Arm every fucking person and shoot all the fucking things. Our new state motto.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6331 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sandhill cranes are hunted in Saskatchewan and Manitoba with a daily limit of 5, 15 max in your possession.

--------------------
Maybe I should stop to consider that I'm not worthy of an epiphany and just take what life has to offer
(formerly was just "no prophet") \_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11064 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Then Manitobans are equally insane.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6331 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Piglet--

I have no idea how the town felt about guns before, or feels about them now.

But what you said could feed the "see, you've got to have a gun on you at all time" litany.

The people who survived might be grateful for the neighbor's actions.

I saw him on TV. He said that God saved him (when?) and gave him those skills, so that he could help his neighbors in this situation.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Sandhill cranes are hunted in Saskatchewan and Manitoba with a daily limit of 5, 15 max in your possession.

Are they edible??? Or is this hunting for hunting's sake? Or are they deemed to be at invasive levels?

Thx.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

mousethief, "shit their drawers" gives me an image of someone sitting on an open (I have no idea what you call them) drawer taking a dump on his polo shirts.

--------------------
Human

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Drawers is a rather quaint synonym for trousers (or pants, as we call them). "Drop your drawers," meaning let your trousers down, is another rather common colloquialism along with "shit your drawers," which of course means just what it says.

In a completely different context, we also use "drawers" for the compartments that pull out and push in on a desk or dresser.

[ 08. November 2017, 04:25: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
"We're not in Wonderland anymore, Alice." – Charles Manson

Posts: 10285 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Hmmmm...IME, "drawers" is a folksy euphemism for underpants, not trousers. FWIW.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

...which is why I have a hard time understanding what the Colorado folks who bought guns after the theater shooting had in mind. (Other than that they were drowning in their own sheer terror.)

In a darkened theater, how do you (gen.) tell who the bad guy is? How do you accurately aim? And, when the cops come, how do *they* decide whether you're a good guy or a bad guy? They answer a report of an active shooter, walk in, and find you with a gun. Yeah, that's gonna go well.

Even moreso if the audience is mostly good guys with guns. Who are all trying to helpfully resolve the situation by shooting the shooter.

Of course, darkness in a cinema would add to confusion, but the same applies everywhere.

Imagine you're in a shopping mall, at a sports event or wherever and there's report of an active shooter. You know there are cops on the way looking for someone with a gun. You expect there are some "good guys with guns" present also looking for someone with a gun. It would seem blindingly obvious that in that situation the most dangerous thing for you to do is get a gun out, making yourself look just like the person all those other people with guns are looking for. Dangerous for yourself and others nearby who will be at risk from poor aim and ricochet.

--------------------
Don't Brexit if you haven't a scooby how to fix it.

Posts: 32113 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
simontoad:
quote:
No, the Brits invoke the spirit of WW2 though and past glories to inform present policies.
...yeah, and look how well that's going...
Posts: 3932 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
Then Manitobans are equally insane.

Wildlife is very carefully managed here. With mild winters there's been a 30 year explosion of waterfowl populations. So many. Sandhill cranes are in two major North American groups. This hunted one is very stable. Also realize that indigenous people have treaty rights to eat traditionally including these birds. We also have far too many moose and deer. Please don't impose notions from areas where perhaps you have mismanaged wildlife populations. We're not insane, settlement suppressed prairie grass fires which created habitat. It's probably not as you think it is.
Posts: 11064 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Hmmmm...IME, "drawers" is a folksy euphemism for underpants, not trousers. FWIW.

Correct. And "shit your drawers" means you have an irrational reaction due to fear.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Remember too how the Texas shooting went down. The shooter walked up to the church during services. He sprayed the outside of the building and the door. (His military-level weapon could easily punch a bullet through the walls and door.) Only then did he open the door and go in.
So: you're sitting in the pew. Behind you, through the wall, comes the bullets from the loon outside. Exactly what good is the gun in your hand going to do you? You could of course just start spraying fire everywhere. Should the pastor, up at the front behind the lectern, start shooting? At the walls? That's going to help the flock a lot.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, exactly. The whole thing is out of some nightmare movie.....except that it's real life (or, rather, real death).

The image of Gropo's 'Great America' that is emerging is truly horrific.

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 9163 | From: Passing The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

I'd like to know exactly how the shooters retreat went down, since Trump seems to think hundreds more would have died if the neighbor hadn't had a gun.

Was Kelley running toward his truck when the neighbor shot him?

If so, I imagine Kelley was going to do what most mass murderers do in these sort of scenarios, which is lead a police chase for awhile and then shoot themselves. Which is what Kelley did. He didn't die from the neighbor's shots to his leg but from his own shot to his head.

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

How does a cop arriving on the scene distinguish the good shooter from the bad shooter?

--------------------
Human

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
How does a cop arriving on the scene distinguish the good shooter from the bad shooter?

It helps if one of them is black.

--------------------

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

CBC News interviewed three gun owners from Sutherland Springs about gun control yesterday. Despite what happened, these gun owners were quite adamant that gun control is wrong. Their arguments:

1) Gun control doesn't work because the bad guys don't follow rules. My reply: By the same logic, you can argue that we can dispense with law altogether. The law against murder doesn't prevent "bad guys" from murdering people.

2) People kill each other using knives and trucks, doesn't mean we ban knives and trucks. Reply: Knives and trucks and cars have legitimate uses, apart from killing people. A gun is meant to kill.

3) We may need semi-automatic guns to protect ourselves. Reply: The US Military and police are there to protect you. If you support the military and police, you would let them do their job. Every other western democracy understands that for society to function, only the State has the legitimate use of violence or force.

If you reject the basic principle, then you reject the very basis of democratic society.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Was it all over when it became okay with shooting school children? Would a terror campaign against gun factories also confirm the need for more guns?

--------------------
Maybe I should stop to consider that I'm not worthy of an epiphany and just take what life has to offer
(formerly was just "no prophet") \_(ツ)_/

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

I assume gun control will only come if the Democrats win Congress, the White House, and pretty much sweep everything else.

2020?

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Do you remember the last time? When Barack Obama was elected there was a froth of fury among NRA members. The persistent rumors circulated that Obama was going to Come And Take Our Gunz. Sales zoomed, ammunition was hoarded. Such a fury was whipped up that Obama could not move on gun control, even when children were gunned down in schools. It didn't help that he was a black man. The other persistent feature of gun mania in the US is that the guns are, mostly, owned and hoarded by white people. Second Amendment rights do not, mostly, pertain to black people; if you are a black man with a gun your life is in danger.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Reply: The US Military and police are there to protect you. If you support the military and police, you would let them do their job.

Apparently, the police have no duty to protect you.
Posts: 4839 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
Reply: The US Military and police are there to protect you. If you support the military and police, you would let them do their job.

And the legal system (NOT a justice system, though sometimes called that) is a wreck. E.g., innocent people in prison, even executed. Money bail makes things worse for low-income/-asset folks. They don't have the resources to pay it, so they stay locked up (with all the horrors that happen in American jails and prisons) until trial--sometimes for a year or more. They can lose their families, homes, jobs, everything--without even being tried. (And yes, attempted change is in the works.)

There've got to be some decent cops out there, who--at the very least--try to find out who really did what, and arrest *that* person with the minimum force necessary. But, AIUI, they've also got to deal with the "thin, blue line" situation/mindset, where it's the Boys & Girls In Blue (uniforms) against everyone else; and they need to know that the cops around them will back them up in a dangerous situation; so they can't always speak up or stop bad situations.

And, sometimes, they get so they make fun of the general public. There was a situation here in SF, some years back, where one group of cops made a video, satirizing (too polite a word) the sorts of people they regularly met. Costumed officers (?) portrayed them. The video was leaked. Big fuss; "oh, it's just a harmless training video"; and IIRC not much in the way of consequences.

Some time later, they did it again.

Oh, and then there are the cops in Oakland, across the Bay, who patronized an under-aged sex worker, and kept patronizing her for years. That spilled out. Lots of fuss. IIRC, there was legal action; and she's out of the area, and living elsewhere. Though that case never seems to end.

Just some samples from real life.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

Especially from themselves. They'd rather kill the innocent than protect them from their own fear. In other words the main excuse, that they feared for THEIR lives, is no excuse.

[ 09. November 2017, 09:39: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 16887 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

A Lutheran minister of eye-watering stupidity opines about the Texas shooting. Jesus wept.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
A Lutheran minister of eye-watering stupidity opines about the Texas shooting. Jesus wept.

Not just eye-watering stupid, but batshit crazy!
[Mad]

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9453 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well that was a WTF sort of thing. [Confused]

Does he want to be delivered from this world in such a manner, I wonder.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11656 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't he the pastor who produced the Lutheran Satire cartoons? They were quite funny, and thought provoking......maybe he's had a brain transplant more recently?

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 9163 | From: Passing The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  42  43  44  45  46 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016