homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Fucking Guns (Page 48)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  45  46  47  48  49 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fucking Guns
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
The story says she will be barred from owning a gun for life. How long until the NRA fights that in court?

I'd expect any normal person who has accidentally shot someone to not want to see a gun ever again, let alone own one.

Though, whether "normal person" applies to someone who decides to fire a gun at someone else for a stunt is another question. If it had been a Mythbusters "an Encyclopedia stops a bullet" you know they'd be firing at poor Buster the dummy.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32255 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The story says she will be barred from owning a gun for life. How long until the NRA fights that in court?

Not likely. She pled guilty to a felony, which automatically bars her from owning firearms per federal law. The argument to remove that would upend the "bad guys vs. good guys" narrative the NRA has been selling for all these years.

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 977 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
I'd expect any normal person who has accidentally shot someone to not want to see a gun ever again, let alone own one.

I suspect that this might be a function of your feelings about guns, though.

Consider someone who has accidentally run someone down in a car. I would certainly expect them to be a bit apprehensive about getting behind the wheel again, but I'd expect that the average person in that position would resume driving, because they consider cars to be a necessity of modern life.

So for someone who considers guns a normal or necessary part of life, I'd expect them, after similar apprehensive feelings when they first handle their guns after the accident, go back to their normal shooting habits.

quote:

Though, whether "normal person" applies to someone who decides to fire a gun at someone else for a stunt is another question. If it had been a Mythbusters "an Encyclopedia stops a bullet" you know they'd be firing at poor Buster the dummy.

Not to mention that there are entire websites devoted to testing the penetrating power of various combinations of gun and ammunition, and that the gun used in this "stunt" was more akin to a pocket cannon than a peashooter. But we've already established that the heroes of this stunt aren't very bright.

[ 21. December 2017, 14:20: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 4959 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile, here in gun-loving Phoenix, a teenage boy playing with a gun accidently shot and killed his friend.

How long, O Lord, how long?

--------------------
"Stop your noisy songs; I do not want to listen to your praise bands." -- Amos 5:23, Good News Bible (modified)

Posts: 10440 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jbohn:
quote:

Not likely. She pled guilty to a felony, which automatically bars her from owning firearms per federal law. The argument to remove that would upend the "bad guys vs. good guys" narrative the NRA has been selling for all these years.
Ahem.

--------------------
“Religion doesn't fuck up people, people fuck up religion.”—lilBuddha

Posts: 63426 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Everyone knows that shooting a political candidate is more efficient than defeating him at the polls.

--------------------
"Stop your noisy songs; I do not want to listen to your praise bands." -- Amos 5:23, Good News Bible (modified)

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

I suspect that this might be a function of your feelings about guns, though.

Consider someone who has accidentally run someone down in a car. I would certainly expect them to be a bit apprehensive about getting behind the wheel again, but I'd expect that the average person in that position would resume driving, because they consider cars to be a necessity of modern life.

Quite possibly true. Though, if someone causes death or injury with a car through their own fault (a conviction for dangerous driving, driving without due care etc) then they'll probably not have a choice as they'll have an extensive, or life time, ban from driving.

--------------------

Posts: 32255 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jbohn:
quote:

Ahem.
I stand corrected. Wow. That's a new level of hypocrisy, even for that slimebag...

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 977 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
***HOLIDAY PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT***

"Gun Safety during the Holidays: Ask to keep your children safe!" (Moms Rising).

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18385 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you know if they have an organisation for Dads with a similar name GK? [Two face]

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1423 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
"Gun Safety during the Holidays: Ask to keep your children safe!" (Moms Rising).

Quote from the linked article:
quote:
Her parents agreed to lock up all of their guns while their grandchildren were in the house
**All** of them? Good grief!

--------------------

Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't recall where I read this (and so cannot link), but came across an article in a mainstream publication claiming that 1 in 3 US households have guns on the premises, and that households with guns owned an average of 3 each.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 330 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Searching for a holiday gun safety article was both enlightening and disappointing. IIRC, it used to be an annual thing. I tried more than one search engine, with a variety of terms. Lots of hits; but few with actual instructions. Leaned more towards ads for gun safes, occasional horror stories, and a couple of opinion pieces. There are some videos at news sites, but I didn't watch them.

Anyway, that was the best I found.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18385 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Why would there need to be an emphasis on gun safety for the holidays? Is it really that much better that the guns are safely stored over Christmas if the children stumble across them when they visit in January? Gun safety is an all year round, 24/7 issue. Guns should always be kept as safe as can be (which since it's designed to be dangerous is never entirely safe). Of course, the safest is no gun at all.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why would there need to be an emphasis on gun safety for the holidays? Is it really that much better that the guns are safely stored over Christmas if the children stumble across them when they visit in January?

You miss the point, perhaps due to pondial differences. The grandkids don't visit in January. For many Americans, Christmas is the one time a year when the whole family gets together. Especially when Grandma lives on the other coast, a 6-hour, multi-hundred-dollar plane ride away.

--------------------

Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also because Christmas typically involves gifts. I've just seen commercials on TV for two different local gunstores, advertising their wares as gifts. One in particular claims to offer a "fun, family-friendly" atmosphere.

It doesn't hurt to remind the clueless nephew you've just bestowed a shotgun on that safety is important too.

[ 23. December 2017, 13:18: Message edited by: Ohher ]

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A gun for Christmas? Celebrate the beginning of a life with a tool to end someone else’s. 🤮

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 17367 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the real spirit of Christmas, let's talk about Satan, who as far as I know, led the first successful revolution, and by doing so won his own kingdom. Maybe it's time to start giving away guns to the homeless. My thoughts are that it's kind of like the saying: "give a person a fish and they eat for a day, teach them to fish and they eat for a lifetime".
Posts: 11307 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
A gun for Christmas? Celebrate the beginning of a life with a tool to end someone else’s. 🤮

Of course. This is the US of A, with that noted, sainted Christian evangelical president in charge, where all the women vie for Miss Amerrika titles, all the men are taking names and kicking ass, and all the nephews receiving weapons for Christmas are clueless, probably because those begetting them are clueless too.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Build a person on fire they'll be warm for a day;
set a person on fire they'll be warm for the rest of their life.

Posts: 15213 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<Terry Pratchett>

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is horrible, Rook

And yes, I laughed [Hot and Hormonal] [Roll Eyes]

I am relieved that my clueless nephew does like guns.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10268 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by Ohher:
Also because Christmas typically involves gifts. I've just seen commercials on TV for two different local gunstores, advertising their wares as gifts. One in particular claims to offer a "fun, family-friendly" atmosphere.

It doesn't hurt to remind the clueless nephew you've just bestowed a shotgun on that safety is important too.

And do NOT give ammunition with the gun. That'll prevent immediate accidents, and give the kid's parents a chance to decide whether they're really ok with the kid having a real gun.

I saw online something about the NRA (?) having a gun education/safety course for kids that *doesn't* involve shooting. I didn't follow it up. But whether it's "stay away from guns, and tell grownups if you find one"*, "here's how to tell if the safety is on", "don't ever point a gun at a person", "always assume a gun is loaded", "don't *play* with a gun, especially inside", or how to take a gun apart**, it's maybe a start.

*Possibly unlikely from the NRA.

**Which might dispel some of the magical thinking and allure.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

There's a modern-classic Christmas film about a boy getting a deeply-desired BB gun for Christmas. Haven't seen it.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Locking up your guns, all the time they're not in use, is one of those nasty freedom-restricting Australian laws we introduced.

Yes, that's right, one of the freedoms we deprive gun owners of is the freedom to be utterly careless about leaving weapons where the kiddies can play with them. We're such authoritarian bastards.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18157 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

I confess to shock when I saw the first commercials for gun stores and also for shooting ranges on my local news channel.

They're not allowed to show commercials for cigarettes. They're not allowed to air images of people actually imbibing alcoholic beverages on TV.

But by all means, let's advertise "fun, family-friendly" guns.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that phrase.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
I am relieved that my clueless nephew does like guns.

Huia

That should read doesn't like guns - maybe he's not so clueless.

Huia

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ohher:
... "fun, family-friendly" guns.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that phrase.

Absolutely. Oxymoron of the year.

Having said that, giving a gun as a Christmas present* without ammunition would probably elicit the same sort of tantrum as giving a games-console without the batteries.

* I really had trouble actually typing that - it's such a complete anathema.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20085 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:

Quote from the linked article:
quote:
Her parents agreed to lock up all of their guns while their grandchildren were in the house
**All** of them? Good grief!

And she found that gun in a drawer, when she was looking for pain reliever. Did her parents hide the pills in their dresser, where they kept that gun? Or was the gun in a drawer in the kitchen or bathroom, where pain relievers are usually kept?
[Eek!]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Locking up your guns, all the time they're not in use, is one of those nasty freedom-restricting Australian laws we introduced.

Yes, that's right, one of the freedoms we deprive gun owners of is the freedom to be utterly careless about leaving weapons where the kiddies can play with them. We're such authoritarian bastards.

But look out - the kiwis are coming [Snigger]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18883 | From: scarily close to 40° | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Be afraid...be very afraid.
[Paranoid] [Biased]

Of course, kiwis don't fly, do they? So I guess we don't have to worry about them up here!
[Biased]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Are we mounting an invasion Zappa?

I bags one of the big, bright plastic guns you get from the Warehouse - not so much a water pistol, as a water sub-machine gun. I was going to buy one for the cat down the road for Christmas. [Two face]

Actually there are so many Kiwis over there anyway I doubt anyone would notice if we did.

Huia

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Actually there are so many Kiwis over there anyway I doubt anyone would notice if we did.

Not sure if it still holds...
Posts: 7759 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[Paranoid] [Biased]

Of course, kiwis don't fly, do they? So I guess we don't have to worry about them up here!
[Biased]

mwahaha!

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

(Though, given the nature of this thread) ...

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
[Paranoid] [Biased]

[Biased]

I hear they paddle a mean canoe.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Better than paddling a mean gnu.

[Razz]

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9666 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

Better than paddling a mean gnu.
I dunno. That sounds pretty kink.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[...] I bags one of the big, bright plastic guns you get from the Warehouse - not so much a water pistol, as a water sub-machine gun. I was going to buy one for the cat down the road for Christmas. [Two face] [...]

Huia

That's a nice and thoughtful gift for a feline, Huia. - However, I am slightly doubtful as to how the cat will use it. Does it come with instructions? And: can the cat read them?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7304 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
US Army war simulator modified to prepare teachers for school shootings

quote:
The United States Army has developed a computer-based simulator that can train everyone from teachers to first responders on how to react to an active shooter scenario.

The Enhanced Dynamic Geo-Social Environment (EDGE) was originally designed to keep soldiers safe in a war situation, but is now being adapted for schools.

How on earth did we get to this for schools and potential teacher training? Or am I living in a fantasy world and this is the new reality?

But then, I think, if it helps save a life... It doesn't seem the gun situation is going to change short-term.

Posts: 7759 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just got an all-church e-mail preparing us for a new procedure starting Sunday. As soon as the service begins all the doors will be locked. This is in response to a suggestion from one of our members who took an "Active Shooter," class.

The only statistic I could find on the odds of being shot in church said it was 1 in 6,552,000 or 0.00000015.

I can't go along with the "if it saves one life," thing because that sort of number has to offset the mental stress of the other 6 billion or so sitting in church feeling unwelcoming and paranoid. We're safest from church shootings if we don't go at all, but I don't think that's a good trade off.

The real risk that is escalated by this new rule is that one of the candles is going to set our pastor's robe on fire and as we all rush forward to help her we will forget to unlock the door for the medics and firemen.

The man who made the suggestion is a gun loving Republican and if he starts bringing his gun to church to protect me, I'll be stopping home.

[ 19. January 2018, 14:30: Message edited by: Twilight ]

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:

The man who made the suggestion is a gun loving Republican and if he starts bringing his gun to church to protect me, I'll be stopping home.

I hope so. I'm sure the roads are more dangerous than being locked in a church with even the most well-meaning gun-nut.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24142 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Errr, so the freedom to bare arms has now in the process of removing the freedom of worshiping God in an unlocked building.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3151 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Twilight, was this decision made by your church council (or equivalent) in consultation with the congregation?

If not, it seems your church is a dictatorship, and staying at home (or worshipping elsewhere, if possible) is by far the better option.

[Disappointed]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 9802 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
RdrEmCofE
Shipmate
# 17511

- Posted      Profile for RdrEmCofE   Author's homepage   Email RdrEmCofE   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Quite possibly true. Though, if someone causes death or injury with a car through their own fault (a conviction for dangerous driving, driving without due care etc) then they'll probably not have a choice as they'll have an extensive, or life time, ban from driving.
A much more appropriate take on the 'when you fall from the high trapeze, get straight back up there' school of gun toting.

I was a Royal Navy Marksman and we had it drilled into us that we should NEVER point, (even an unloaded), gun at ANYBODY unless we expressly intended to KILL THEM.

I have therefore little sympathy with either of the two imbeciles involved in the absolutely predictable 'death by moronic misadventure' of making a video of someone deliberately risking death by gunshot to the chest.

The idiot receiver of the bullet was fully deserving of a Darwin Award for services to mankind by preventing his genes entering the worldwide gene pool and thus reducing the average IQ. Unfortunately his girl friend still poses a threat, unless she responsibly remains celibate or gets herself sterilized.

--------------------
Love covers many sins. 1 Pet.4:8. God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, not holding their sins against them; 2 Cor.5:19

Posts: 118 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RdrEmCofE:
quote:
A much more appropriate take on the 'when you fall from the high trapeze, get straight back up there' school of gun toting.

I was a Royal Navy Marksman and we had it drilled into us that we should NEVER point, (even an unloaded), gun at ANYBODY unless we expressly intended to KILL THEM.

Especially an unloaded gun. They are the most dangerous. How can you tell from the outside that a gun is unloaded?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24142 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
RdrEmCofE
Shipmate
# 17511

- Posted      Profile for RdrEmCofE   Author's homepage   Email RdrEmCofE   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Errr, so the freedom to bare arms is now in the process of removing the freedom of worshiping God in an unlocked building.
Few are aware of the fact that if the church concerned were CofE in the UK and the service was a Wedding, it would be illegal to shut and lock the doors and further more the legality of the marriage could later possibly be successfully challenged as a result of the possible prevention of objections.

--------------------
Love covers many sins. 1 Pet.4:8. God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, not holding their sins against them; 2 Cor.5:19

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RdrEmCofE:
quote:
Errr, so the freedom to bare arms is now in the process of removing the freedom of worshiping God in an unlocked building.
Few are aware of the fact that if the church concerned were CofE in the UK and the service was a Wedding, it would be illegal to shut and lock the doors and further more the legality of the marriage could later possibly be successfully challenged as a result of the possible prevention of objections.
I don't think church doors should be locked, but that is a stupid reason to not do it.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 17367 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
Errr, so the freedom to bare arms has now in the process of removing the freedom of worshiping God in an unlocked building.

Well, I have heard of some conservative churches where women are required to wear clothing that has sleeves...

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9666 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
RdrEmCofE
Shipmate
# 17511

quote:
I don't think church doors should be locked, but that is a stupid reason to not do it.
Nothing stupid about it at all. The Law of the land requires that anyone shall be able to raise legitimate objection to two people being joined in matrimony. Locked doors would prevent such objections thus rendering the proceedings suspect.

The reason is valid right up until the call has been made for "any just cause or impediment to the joining together in matrimony of these two people, to state their case now, or forever remain silent."

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  45  46  47  48  49 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016