homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Fucking Guns (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  58  59  60 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fucking Guns
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
quote:

Business owners and other gun nuts use guns to save lives, defend property, and stop crimes with regularity.

Generalisations are not universals.
Furthermore, that isn't a generalization so much as it is a demonstrable fact.

Care to dispute it as such?

Yes. Especially considering that statistics are very hard to come by, and often because your government, under massive pressure from the NRA paid-for shills, can't even collect reliable data to do with gun injuries and deaths.

That you are awash with guns because you are awash with guns is a symptom of your sickness, not the cure.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
orfeo--

"The point is that the solution is not conceptually difficult."

Seriously, you think the problem is that we don't have the concepts???

[Roll Eyes]

Given the number of people I see talking about mental illness being the problem - "oh, if only we could make sure only the sane people were awash with guns" - and the number of people who still think that having a gun of their own is a solution, yeah, I think that overall your nation is still having quite a bit of trouble with the concepts.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are lots of issues.

Ease of access to guns

'The Game' - saysay is right about that for some cities at least

The doctrinaire block on information gathering as part of ongoing powerful lobbying

The undoubted truth that self defence issues look different in a society awash with guns

The second amendment

The impact of certain elements of the media

The hearts and minds convictions of a lot of people

As a wise person once said, 'I really wouldn't want to start from here'.

The lack of political consensus is hardly surprising.

[ 05. October 2015, 08:36: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

It is already established that states with tighter gun controls have fewer deaths.

Asserted is more accurate than established.

Illinois in general and Chicago specifically have had some of the toughest restrictions on the books for decades. Not exactly a region that leaps to mind when thinking about low gun violence.

Chicago is so bad that Barry doesn't even mention it, and I don't blame him. The place is a bloodbath, and him their best and brightest.

Illinois recently passed concealed carry legislation and has issued over 100,000 permits, a quarter of those in Chicago alone. Those are you hearts and minds right there.

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Well, states with the most stringent gun laws see fewer gun-related deaths. If that matters to anybody.

Except, of course, for DC (yes, I know, not technically a state, but reported as such in your link). Most stringent gun control laws in the nation, and highest rate of gun-related deaths. Not exactly a poster child for stringent regulation.

As for the rest of the data set, the largest average gap shown in the article is very minute[1]. Also interesting to note is that the general difficulty of obtaining a concealed carry permit[2] makes no difference, on average - 3.78 deaths/100,000 population.

We can argue the points of gun control laws, but these stats don't really give you much, I'm afraid. [Smile]

[1]4.23 deaths per 100,000 population vs. 3.02 deaths/100,000 population

[2]It should be noted that laws differ from state to state - some states make no differentiation between open and concealed carry, while others have a two-tier system, with concealed carry permits harder to get.

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you are going to nitpick other people's examples, don't use Chicago and DC to bolster yours. because one, it is like saying locks don't work because you installed one after your house was robbed. And two, only a complete idiot doesn't realise that neither city is a remote island or walled enclave.
Oh, and three, because tighter gun laws won't instantly change things doesn't mean they won't work.
And fuck the mass shooting. Fuck this conversation with a rusty chainsaw. It is shocking, yes. But the maddening thing is how many people die every fucking week. But bog standard murder, suicide, accidental shootings and the like just aren't important enough to register.
If the gun culture "cannot" change, it is because you do not wish it to change, not because change is impossible.
Forget bans, other countries have responsible gun ownership and many fewer deaths.
Unreasoned paranoia and worship of a fictional, penny dreadful version of history is more important than the lives of your neighbors.

[ 05. October 2015, 15:30: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
If you are going to nitpick other people's examples, don't use Chicago and DC to bolster yours. because one, it is like saying locks don't work because you installed one after your house was robbed. And two, only a complete idiot doesn't realise that neither city is a remote island or walled enclave.
Oh, and three, because tighter gun laws won't instantly change things doesn't mean they won't work.

I wasn't saying any of that, actually. Only that the cited stats weren't particularly useful to prove his (or anyone else's, frankly) point. I didn't actually mention Chicago, in any case - you must mean someone else.

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
And fuck the mass shooting. Fuck this conversation with a rusty chainsaw. It is shocking, yes. But the maddening thing is how many people die every fucking week. But bog standard murder, suicide, accidental shootings and the like just aren't important enough to register.
If the gun culture "cannot" change, it is because you do not wish it to change, not because change is impossible.
Forget bans, other countries have responsible gun ownership and many fewer deaths.
Unreasoned paranoia and worship of a fictional, penny dreadful version of history is more important than the lives of your neighbors.

You'll not hear me argue with much, if any, of that, friend. Other than the "your" - but I'm going to assume you didn't mean me, specifically, there.

Pax.

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently, Fox News has declared that over here in Australia we have no freedom because we don't have guns.

That rumble you can here in California is 25 million people simultaneously shouting "Fuck You".

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jbohn:
As for the rest of the data set, the largest average gap shown in the article is very minute[1].
[1]4.23 deaths per 100,000 population vs. 3.02 deaths/100,000 population
[/QB]

I'm not sure if I'd call preventing a (9-11) a year a minute difference. Or 28%.

Of course that's the largest difference. On the one hand you've regression to the mean and correlation not causation.
But on the other hand that's with the other states making life harder.

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would think most people would consider a 25% reduction in gun related deaths a very good start. It does take a particularly pessimistic personality to consider it such an out right failure that it's not worth trying to at least emulate that elsewhere.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hear, hear. Shut up and start eating the elephant.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
romanlion--

quote:
Chicago is so bad that Barry doesn't even mention it, and I don't blame him. The place is a bloodbath, and him their best and brightest.

Goodness, you said something nice about Obama! Are you feeling well?
[Biased]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although, to be fair to Chicago the murder rate has halved in the last 20 years. Though, still 15.1 homicides per 100,000 population, 3 times the average for Illinois (at 5.4 gun-related deaths per 100,000 from the earlier linked to NJ report) but with at least six states having a larger rate of gun related deaths. Yes, I know, I'm comparing total homicides (according to Wikipedia about 25% of homicides in Chicago do not involve a gun) with total gun related deaths including suicide and accidental shooting. But, I can't be arsed to find the comparable statistics. Just that according to the numbers, rather than media portrayal, Chicago is not as violent a city as implied by some posts here. And, more importantly, the introduction of gun controls (and other policing measures) has reduced the homicide rate by a significant amount.

And, as Chicago Police include a wider range of crimes in such categories as assault and sexual crimes than most other US cities the figures are going to be higher.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
orfeo--

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Meanwhile, I'm finding that my Australian friends are posting more comments on Facebook against American gun culture than my American friends are. See the problem with that? We don't vote in your elections. We don't have any influence over your politicians.

...perhaps...just perhaps...your American friends were dealing with their own feelings...maybe even had some connection to Roseburg...and, just maybe, they didn't want to deal with all the crap that would probably be thrown at them...

If they're your friends, judging them by whether or not they publicly disapprove of their culture in the wake of a tragedy seems...rather strange and unfriendly.

You don't vote in our elections or have control over our politicians? Maybe that's why you're so judgmental. However deeply you may mean the things you say, it's *recreational* for you. Whereas, for those of us who live here, *we* vote, the elections are often messed with, and we don't have much control over our politicians. When we do make progress, often someone rips it away again. "Let's ban individual ownership of assault weapons!" Things get better. "Oh, but we need our assault weapons!" Law runs down and isn't renewed. (Lather, rinse, repeat.)

Telling us "well, if you idiots just do THIS, all will be well, and you'll be like all the rest of us" .doesn't. .really. .help.

[ 06. October 2015, 01:44: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to underline the above-- goddamn motherfucking son of a bitch. AAARRRGGHH!!!

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

From the article:
quote:
Conservatives aren’t lying when they say they need guns to feel protected. But it’s increasingly clear that they aren’t seeking protection from crime or even from the mythical jackbooted government goons come to kick in your door. No, the real threat is existential. Guns are a totemic shield against the fear that they are losing dominance as the country becomes more liberal and diverse and, well, modern. For liberals, the discussion about guns is about public health and crime prevention. For conservatives, hanging onto guns is a way to symbolically hang onto the cultural dominance they feel slipping from their hands.
This. This bullshit right here. THIS.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Well, states with the most stringent gun laws see fewer gun-related deaths. If that matters to anybody.

Except, of course, for DC (yes, I know, not technically a state, but reported as such in your link). Most stringent gun control laws in the nation, and highest rate of gun-related deaths. Not exactly a poster child for stringent regulation.
So a single urban core not more than ten miles on a side, population 635,000 of a 6 million person metro area, a bridge away from a state with some of the loosest gun regulations in the nation, that has seen its murder rate drop to about a quarter of what it was during the gang wars of the crack years (early '90's, when Barry was mayor), is comparable to, say, Oklahoma?

Really?

There's a reason one of our local news sites has made "most recent meaningless comparison between DC and states" a regular feature.

ETA: and did we mention the whole "Congress can overrule or defund any aspect of local government it wants at a whim" thing? You know, the thing that happens when a Republican congress get to control a Democratic city and score points back home in Utah or Texas? There's a reason why the attorney general of DC teaches a course at Georgetown Law about "a federal city-state with limited democracy."

[ 06. October 2015, 02:49: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Personally, I think DC should become a state, if the residents want that.

My guess is someone prevented it from being so, once upon a time, because some sort of vested interest was served that way.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Insert more swearing. And some sobbing.

""This is not a gun issue, this is a parenting issue. Our problem with our country now is that we're not stepping in and being good parents. We're not stepping in and teaching them right from wrong," Mr Peterson said." Oh, for Christ's sake! [Mad]

[ 06. October 2015, 04:03: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

{{{{{{{Kelly}}}}}}}

Maybe take a break from articles, for a while? Sometimes, a bit of a "news fast" helps.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Personally, I think DC should become a state, if the residents want that.

My guess is someone prevented it from being so, once upon a time, because some sort of vested interest was served that way.

Because that would mean two new Democratic senators and one new Democratic representative. That's sure as hell not going to happen any time soon with the chokehold the GOP has on the house.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
{{{{{{{Kelly}}}}}}}

Maybe take a break from articles, for a while? Sometimes, a bit of a "news fast" helps.

When I feel I am more extremely pissed off than anyone else on this thread, I will take your advice. Right now I think it's about even steven.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Kelly--

Fair enough.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Insert more swearing. And some sobbing.

""This is not a gun issue, this is a parenting issue. Our problem with our country now is that we're not stepping in and being good parents. We're not stepping in and teaching them right from wrong," Mr Peterson said." Oh, for Christ's sake! [Mad]

Of course it's a parenting issue. What sort of parent leaves a gun somewhere that a six year old child can get at it? What is so radically difficult about the concept of a locked, secure gun cabinet? And, with removing ammunition when stored, and storing that in a different location than the gun? The simple application of common sense and making guns inaccessible when not in use would reduce the number of accidents considerably.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

My dad had a rifle for hunting, and the only time I saw it was after he died--I still don't know where he kept it all that time. So yeah, there's that. But to go flying into a " this isn't a gun control issue" like that? What the hell?

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
From the article:
quote:
Conservatives aren’t lying when they say they need guns to feel protected. But it’s increasingly clear that they aren’t seeking protection from crime or even from the mythical jackbooted government goons come to kick in your door. No, the real threat is existential. Guns are a totemic shield against the fear that they are losing dominance as the country becomes more liberal and diverse and, well, modern. For liberals, the discussion about guns is about public health and crime prevention. For conservatives, hanging onto guns is a way to symbolically hang onto the cultural dominance they feel slipping from their hands.
This. This bullshit right here. THIS.
Actually, I've been thinking about this. Cultural identifiers are very important when people feel their culture is threatened - whether that's a dominant culture or not. People find emblematic aspects of their culture and not only grab hold of them, but even inflate and exagerate them.

To take an unrelated example. In Scotland, Highland culture has survived by making it important children learn Ghallig in school (even though virtually no uses it in everyday conversation in much of the country), the kilt has been elevated to a mythical status with invented associations of some tartans with particular clans, festivals for pipes, Highland dancing and folk music, we've even taken a type of sausage and given it a mythic status and exagerated ritual for serving it. These are all emblematic expressions of a culture trying to maintain a presence within a dominant British culture.

I'm quite willing to accept that there are groups within the US who feel culturally threatened, and seek something emblematic to hold onto to maintain a cultural presence. And, when that happens attempts to remove that cultural emblem will meet resistance, as an attack on the entire culture rather than just one aspect of it. Another recent example relates to a flag, which is something actually designed as a cultural emblem, as a means to identify where your people are in the chaos of battle (and, in the UK flags have been a major issue in attempts by some groups in Northern Ireland to maintain a cultural identity).

So, I can see how for some groups within the US, gun ownership is an emblematic cultural issue. Openly carrying a gun in public, for example, would then be a statement of cultural identity meeting the same functional requirement as wearing a kilt to a rugby match (although a gun is a lethal weapon which adds an additional element of danger to others). The way American history has been mythologised to support the ownership of guns - the frontiersmen fighting wild animals and rogue natives, the Western cattleman fighting banditos, the revolutionaries fighting off British oppression - even to the point of effectively re-writing the 2nd Amendment is entirely consistent with that whole grasping of a cultural emblem. In that case, arguments about defence of oneself or others is actually a rationalisation, and the presentation of evidence that clearly shows the facts that this is a false security will fall on deaf ears. This cultural symbolism with gun ownership appears from over here to spread across a diverse range of cultural groups - the same fears of other cultures suppressing and dominating your own culture appear in the Alabama red-necks hanging desperately to their guns wrapped in that flag, and the Latino kids Kelly mentioned a few pages back, and almost certainly other groups as well.

It makes guns part of the complex problem that the US has of being a multicultural society. It's part of the same general problems of race, of ethnic identity, of religious diversity. Which doesn't, of course, mean that gun control is impossible. But, it has to be part of a wider program to address the wider issues within society. It means helping each of those cultures who use gun ownership as emblematic to find other parts of their culture they can raise up as identifiers, as something to keep them distinct from the cultures around them, so that they will freely give up their guns as a means of marking themselves out.

I said back on page 1 that a common sense approach to the gun problem has to start with conversation - you need to talk people into realising that their guns are not all that they have to identify their place in wider society. Without that then any gun-control legislation will be seen as others coming to take their cultural identity along with their guns. I also said it would need to be slow.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Hold on to your guns and condemn the gays. What a great pair of cultural signifiers for the modern American conservative Christian, eh?

And the whole either/or thing... it's a gun issue AND a parenting issue. Teaching your kids that they have to accept they can't just have whatever they want whenever they want it is important, but kids have tantrums and it's fucking nuts to make it that easy for a kid having a tantrum to employ lethal force.

Which is kind of why I despair at the whole "just keep the guns away from the crazy people and we'll be fine idea". People go off the deep end all the time, for a whole host of reasons, and lots of them are not mentally ill in any formal sense. Sometimes they're just having a really bad day. But having a gun around can make all the difference to what the consequences are.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Alan--

Many good points there. [Smile] Thank you for working through that and trying to understand. I'm not sure who can have those conversations you mentioned. Maybe someone from those cultures who tried putting down their gun, and found that it worked out ok?

Personally, I'd be for a lot of gun safety promos on TV and radio, like the ones I mentioned that helped me when I was a kid. Not anything about getting rid of guns, because that will freak people out, but some basic safety and "don't play with guns" stuff. *Maybe* also a "if you have kids living in or visiting your home, think about whether you really need to have a gun. If you do, then here are some safe ways to store it."

And screen the film "My Bodyguard" a lot. And the episode of "MacGyver" where we saw a flashback of why he hates guns. (A horrible, fatal accident, for which he was partly responsible.) Screen the whole series, because he frequently said "I hate guns".

ETA: Oh, and the episode of "Cagney and Lacey", where Mary Beth's son gets his hands on her police weapon, and she educates him by taking him to the morgue to see a kid who was shot to death. Brutal, but makes the point.

[ 06. October 2015, 07:46: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The right to bear arms hasn’t actually protected any of the many people on the receiving end of one man exercising that right, in multiple instances.

There was a second multiple shooting on the same day as the Oregon killings, which I only read about this morning. It didn’t receive half as much attention because it was overshadowed, and only involved three people. As one of the people in the article said, it’s a sad thing when the murder of three people is considered commonplace enough not to be particularly newsworthy.

(I’ll try to find the article, but was reading it on my phone and I haven't found it on the regular BBC or Sky news sites.)

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
I'm not sure who can have those conversations you mentioned. Maybe someone from those cultures who tried putting down their gun, and found that it worked out ok?

It has to someone inside the culture, otherwise it's just another outsider coming along and saying "you need to ditch that bit of your culture" which will just reinforce the impression of being a downtrodden culture, and hence the importance of the cultural emblems.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Barnabas--

Good job on your list of issues. [Smile]

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
However deeply you may mean the things you say, it's *recreational* for you.

Fuck that shit with a rusty farm implement. Is that what you really think? When we get exercised about refugees drowning in the Med, or the use of food banks to keep people from starving, that's *recreational*?

No, we don't have to (currently) live it. We don't have to live in a society that is so awash with guns that it's normal (about 1 every day) for a gunman somewhere to kill or injure at least 4 people in a single incident.

Never mind the fact that we might have friends and family who live there. Never mind that we have Shipmates who we might just care about who live there. Never mind that, oh I don't know, we might just come to your country for work, or a holiday, and don't really fancy spending our entire time over there wondering if some idiot with a grudge and a gun is going to start shooting the place up.

If you don't recognise the word 'empathy' then try 'enlightened self-interest'.

[Disappointed]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Doc Tor--

I was speaking only to orfeo and *his* particular comments. That's why I addressed the post to him, and quoted him.

What he said was very different from what you just said, in both comment and tone. Go back and read his full original post. I think it's a page or two back. IIRC, it's the one that starts off telling us to write, vote, etc.

[ 06. October 2015, 10:15: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

That should be "content", not "comment".

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

And you don't think that what applies to me, applies to orfeo's friends? That they're somehow disinterested observers, pointing their telescopes across the ocean and tutting?

Maybe it's true for some of them. I'll bet it isn't for many of them.

Yes, it's true that only the US can get its shit together over this, but don't ever make the mistake that this is a purely internal debate in which no one else has anything at stake.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Doc Tor--

orfeo very specifically complained that his Australian friends were loudly protesting American gun regulations (or lack of them), and his American friends weren't, and that somehow meant that Americans didn't give a damn about the shooting or about the gun situation.

He then went on to say what I quoted, which boils down to "we can't fix it for you--get off your asses".

I took exception to his assumptions and arrogance and way of expressing all that.

It wasn't about anyone else.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Oh, hang on. He's right - we can't fix it for you - and you're objecting to him saying it's way past time you got your shit together on this.

You could have constructively spent your pixels in emailing your state and federal representatives instead. If you've already done it once, maybe a letter a week from now on.

We can't fix it for you, but it's sure as hell affecting us.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Doc Tor--

As I posted earlier, my Congress people are all fighting the good fight on gun regulation, and have been for a long time, and AIUI California's gun laws are some of the strictest in the nation.

And I and several other American Shipmates have worn down our keyboards the past few days, explaining what it's like from the inside, what's worked and what hasn't, and the whys and hows. Not one of us has said that no one should bother to make things better. We've said that there are huge obstacles, like Congressional corruption. Some non-American Shipmates either don't read the posts, don't understand them, or don't believe them; then they start yelling at us and telling us What Will Fix The Problem, as if none of us had posted, and as if Americans are just sitting blithely around, not caring, not trying, and not doing anything to help ourselves. So we explain again, and the same comments are thrown at us again, and it keeps going around.

That gets frustrating and tiring.

As Kelly said (paraphrase), the people telling us to get off our asses have no idea what any particular Shipmate has done. And they don't seem to get that you can do all the right things, and the right and good outcome doesn't happen.

Something--I think the article to which orfeo linked--said well, we managed great things re car safety and re tobacco, and we can do that for guns, too.

However, it took major struggles, for many decades, to get as far as we have. Ralph Nader and Nader's Raiders, back in the day, did yeoman's work on car safety and many other things. And the car companies still cover up safety problems and rig cars to fake test results, and eventually (after people are injured or killed) recall millions of cars. And the tobacco companies are still putting out a very harmful product, and still trying to attract children.

Work on gun regulations and safety has been going on much of the same time, and is probably as hard as the car and tobacco work put together. People ARE off their asses and trying, even in Congress. But, as I said in an earlier post, often the good results don't have much traction, and someone rips the progress away.

I was thinking about this, in the wee hours a couple of days ago, and realized (both seriously and cynically) that the one solution that might work is to get a rich gun control advocate to pay Congress more than the NRA and gun industry do. Things might change real fast.

No one (including me) has said for non-American Shipmates to stop caring, or to go away and leave us alone. We just want you to stop and listen to us, and consider that we might have some idea what we're talking about, and might not be just sitting on our asses.

That's it.

[ 06. October 2015, 11:26: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Oh, hang on. He's right - we can't fix it for you - and you're objecting to him saying it's way past time you got your shit together on this.

You could have constructively spent your pixels in emailing your state and federal representatives instead. If you've already done it once, maybe a letter a week from now on.

We can't fix it for you, but it's sure as hell affecting us.

What he said was "Line up against a wall and let yourself be shot," and he connected this directly to something Golden Key said. If that's empathy, it's a pretty shitty way to express it.

So, those of us who are advocating "eating the elephant" not only have to fight past the despair of what is happening to our own people, the despair of trying to reason with the kind of people described above, but the despair of isolation, when not even the people who theoretically agree with you hold you in contempt because the problem hasn't been solved yet.

[ 06. October 2015, 13:41: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
when not even the people who theoretically agree with you hold you in contempt because the problem hasn't been solved yet.

That. Is. Not. What. Got. Me. Angry.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

... And only listen to those one line bits of what you say that allow them to strike another blow.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

All this " why aren't you doing more" and " why aren't you supporting us" can be solved in stroke if we say "what can WE--Shipmates-- do?"

Seriously, what can we do? Because I am in if you are.

[ 06. October 2015, 14:03: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
So a single urban core not more than ten miles on a side, population 635,000 of a 6 million person metro area, a bridge away from a state with some of the loosest gun regulations in the nation, that has seen its murder rate drop to about a quarter of what it was during the gang wars of the crack years (early '90's, when Barry was mayor), is comparable to, say, Oklahoma?

Really?

There's a reason one of our local news sites has made "most recent meaningless comparison between DC and states" a regular feature.

ETA: and did we mention the whole "Congress can overrule or defund any aspect of local government it wants at a whim" thing? You know, the thing that happens when a Republican congress get to control a Democratic city and score points back home in Utah or Texas? There's a reason why the attorney general of DC teaches a course at Georgetown Law about "a federal city-state with limited democracy."

Not arguing any of that. I didn't compile (or even link to) the statistics, I'm just going on what's presented. Personally, I concur with you - DC is an outlier that is throwing the rest of the averages off, possibly significantly. I'd love to see the data recompiled without DC included, just to see how that changes the reported averages. (The legendary screwed-uppedness of DC government and Congressional "oversight" is worthy of it's own discussion.)

Again, I was merely pointing out that the link full of statistics didn't actually provide much support for MT's argument. Or anybody else's, from whatever position, for that matter - in large-scale terms, there's just not that much difference between the various states, on average. Which makes one wonder how effective (if at all effective) any of the current laws are.

Mea culpa for trying to look detachedly at data in the middle of an emotional rant. [Biased]

--------------------
--Elbert Hubbard

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
... the kilt has been elevated to a mythical status with invented associations of some tartans with particular clans, festivals for pipes, Highland dancing and folk music, we've even taken a type of sausage and given it a mythic status ...

I'm quite willing to accept that there are groups within the US who feel culturally threatened, and seek something emblematic to hold onto to maintain a cultural presence.

True, but carrying a lethal weapon as an "emblem" of one's culture is a bit more extreme than wearing a kilt or reciting poetry over a plate of haggis and clapshot.
quote:
... Another recent example relates to a flag, which is something actually designed as a cultural emblem, as a means to identify where your people are in the chaos of battle (and, in the UK flags have been a major issue in attempts by some groups in Northern Ireland to maintain a cultural identity).
Absolutely - and in Northern Ireland people have indeed suffered violence because of differences of opinion regarding flags, but again, the flags themselves aren't actually going to harm anyone. I could handle the fact that our next-door neighbour in Belfast festooned his house and garden with Union flags every July, but I'd have been a lot less comfortable if he'd pruned his roses while carrying a gun.
quote:
So, I can see how for some groups within the US, gun ownership is an emblematic cultural issue. Openly carrying a gun in public, for example, would then be a statement of cultural identity meeting the same functional requirement as wearing a kilt to a rugby match (although a gun is a lethal weapon which adds an additional element of danger to others) ...
That's my point - a gun is a lethal weapon and IMHO no amount of "cultural identity" can justify taking one into a coffee-shop (or for that matter keeping one in a house where an 11-year-old can get access to it).

As an Orcadian, I probably had an ancestor somewhere along the line who wielded a battle-axe, but that wouldn't justify my going into Tim Horton's for a coffee with one slung over my shoulder. The "right to bear arms" as enshrined in the American Constitution may have made perfect sense in 1776, but seems over the top in the 21st century.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

quote:
And the car companies still cover up safety problems and rig cars to fake test results, and eventually (after people are injured or killed) recall millions of cars.
Money for the few is more important than the safety of the many. God Bless Capitalism.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
DC...Oklahoma

Not arguing any of that. ...

I'd love to see the data recompiled without DC included, just to see how that changes the reported averages. (The legendary screwed-uppedness of DC government and Congressional "oversight" is worthy of it's own discussion.)

It (on sight) looks* as if the average is average treating each state as the same (which I'm not sure is statistically a good approach). In any case that's what I'll assume, if you want to see it done properly campaign to let the proper statisticians do their job.**

In which case first taking DC as 7.5:
first graph
2.77 - 4.41 (37%)
second graph
3.14 - 4.17 (25%)
(The difference between these 2 is dominated by the difference between Michigan/Minessota)
third graph
3.10 - 3.9 (20%)

*the 50 state list includes other GRD, whereas this is pure homicide, so hard to be sure. But putting the numbers in by eye from the last graph I got 3.7 so I think that's what they've done.
**this is not directed to those who are doing that.

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh for fuck's sake! [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I just add that I think holding an eleven year old criminally responsible is wrong, and its wrong when we do it in the UK too.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
Oh for fuck's sake! [Mad] [Mad]

How the heck can that be described as an accident? It's about as accidental as unintentional pregnancy from unprotected sex.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
How the heck can that be described as an accident?

Because by the reports, the boy did not intend to fire the gun.

quote:

It's about as accidental as unintentional pregnancy from unprotected sex.

Not quite. In the case of the unprotected sex, the man is intending to shoot his gun, but is hoping that nothing will get hit. In this case, he was handling his weapon and it went off in his hand.

Grossly negligent? Absolutely. We could make a list of the safety rules that were likely broken in this case, but it would be quicker to list the ones that probably weren't.

But still an accident.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  58  59  60 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016