homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Bloody Brexiteers (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  27  28  29 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Bloody Brexiteers
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
What if the website crashes again? A further extension? And another? Because people can't get their acts together and comply with a deadline?

They did comply with the deadline.

The website crashed before the deadline ended.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, basically because so many of them left it to the last minute that the system couldn't cope. In which case they should accept some personal responsibility for that.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But we surely want as many eligible people as possible on the electoral register, on general demorcratic principles, so I don't see why it should be in any way contraversial to extend the registeration deadline after a technical hitch ? The deadline is just in place to facilitate the organisation of polling booths and identity checks, nothing more, and a two day extension still leaves a substantial amount of time to do that.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, basically because so many of them left it to the last minute that the system couldn't cope. In which case they should accept some personal responsibility for that.

There is a counter argument that they should have known there would be a last minute rush and allowed for that when building the site by adding lots of extra server capacity.

Given that this may be a close call, it's better that as many people are involved in the vote as possible. That gives the losing side less opportunity to rubbish the outcome. (Whoever it is!)

What I don't understand is why they didn't set a minimum threashold for the result for Article 50 to be triggered. But then I remember this was Cameron's idea and all is explained. Man's an idiot with no common sense.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't understand. Do you mean that Brexit should have been required to get X% of the votes cast (= significantly higher than 50%) to "win"?

Or do you mean that they should have needed to get votes from at least Y% of the total electorate?

[ 09. June 2016, 12:53: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I agree - people shouldn't leave things to the last minute (although I'm not entirely innocent of that), but on the other hand, people should still be able to register up to the deadline.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

No. Rubbish. Nobody should be penalised for legitimately trying to do something within the legal deadline but finding that it wasn't possible for no fault of their own.

The law doesn't have a concept of "they left it a bit late, so tough cookie they don't get their legal rights". The deal is the deal, there was a deadline and because of official incompetence, the system wasn't up to it.

It would be utterly ridiculous to have legal deadlines and then say "oh sorry, we had staff illness so we couldn't process your application so sorry, you can't have x."

That would clearly be a strong case for judicial review of a system which failed to give you the thing you're entitled to simply because they cocked it up.

--------------------
arse

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
The law doesn't have a concept of "they left it a bit late, so tough cookie they don't get their legal rights".

Actually, it does. When my ballot papers for a postal vote arrive in Japan with only 48h before they need to reach the counting room then my vote is not counted.

If the ballot papers had been sitting in my apartment for weeks but I didn't get them into the post in time then that's my fault. When they aren't issued in time to make it possible for them to get where they need to be in time then that's the fault of the system. But, either way, the response is the same "they arrived too late, your vote isn't counted. Tough cookies".

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I don't understand. Do you mean that Brexit should have been required to get X% of the votes cast (= significantly higher than 50%) to "win"?

Or do you mean that they should have needed to get votes from at least Y% of the total electorate?

They'd need a clear majority of more than x%. So say, 60% of the vote or above.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not of the total electorate (which includes those who don't vote)?

I'm just clarifying.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To my embarrassment I only discovered yesterday what "Brexit" is ... obviously I hadn't read this thread! [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I only found out when I read this thread, so I'm a couple of days more enlightened [Razz]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Not of the total electorate (which includes those who don't vote)?

I'm just clarifying.

Nope. Just 60% of the turnout.

Tubbs

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good to know there are still places in the world where Brexit (or Bremain if you prefer) doesn't reverberate day and night from every platform, pillar and post.
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
To my embarrassment I only discovered yesterday what "Brexit" is ... obviously I hadn't read this thread! [Hot and Hormonal]

I wouldn't worry - you're in exalted company [Biased]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

If one more person shoves "Remain" in my face I swear I'll vote "Leave".

I know you can't escape the referendum anywhere you go, you'd have to be blind, deaf and living in a cave to avoid any mention of it, but I'm getting very sick of people getting evangelistic about their own points of view and "Here is why you should vote my way, you're an idiot if you don't" sort of posts, broadcast, news articles and all the rest of it. Have your views and opinion by all means, I respect your decision - just so long as you don't force it on me.

8 days, 18 hours and 55 more minutes of campaigning to go, at the time of writing.

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just interacted with someone who is voting Brexit who didn't realise that EU nationals would lose rights to work here and UK citizens lose health benefits in the EU. Meaning several million pensioners coming home and nurses leaving the UK.

Understand the consequences of what you voting for before you do it...

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
Meaning several million pensioners coming home and nurses leaving the UK.

Last couple of times I visited a hospital the nurses I met were English, Spanish, Irish, Polish, Filipino, West African, East African and Turkish. If immigration is a concern, leaving the EU will only curb part of it. The vacancies will probably be filled by non-EU nationals as before. And the EU nationals could probably still apply along the same lines as the non-EU nationals if they wanted.

(I'm not arguing in favour of Leave, just pointing out that the immigration platform has some holes in it.)

[ 14. June 2016, 11:51: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And the EU nationals could probably still apply along the same lines as the non-EU nationals if they wanted.

I agree they might but the UK will have to create a whole new bunch of rules/laws to sort it out in 2 years.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are options, which the government post-Brexit would need to put before Parliament. The obvious ones are:
  • Continue to employ EU citizens without requiring them to obtain visas
  • Continue to employ EU citizens currently here without visas, but require people from the EU seeking to work here to obtain a visa the same as people from anywhere else
  • Enforce the same visa requirements on EU citizens as other non-nationals
Of course, the Brexit campaign can say what they want about their preference. But, after Brexit they won't be the government. The loose alliance of Tory, UKIP, Labour and others will fall apart after the referendum, job done. The Tories will be divided. Hopefully there will be enough goodwill for the government to get through legislation that gets us out of the mess in the most pragmatic way possible - but that relies on Cameron (or whoever replaces him) having the vision to act quickly, decisively and intelligently - which I don't see happening. For a start because before anything happens to try and help the country there will be an almighty battle for the soul of the Conservative party and a leadership contest. Brexit will result in at least a year of almost non-existant government as the Tories tear themselves apart. Remain will also result in at least a year of almost non-existant government as the Tories tear themselves apart. All because Cameron in his ivory tower thought a referendum would fix the divisions in the Tory party (and to Hell with the UK economy to do that).

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

quote:
If immigration is a concern, leaving the EU will only curb part of it.

Not true.

If we leave the EU, no immigrant will ever arrive on our shores again.

Haven't you been listening to Farage?

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I once asked Rupert Murdoch why he was so opposed to the European Union. 'That’s easy,' he replied. 'When I go into Downing Street they do what I say; when I go to Brussels they take no notice.'

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Phantom Flan Flinger

But he hasn't said that, has he? I thought he'd said something about making certain kinds of immigration from the Commonwealth easier.

Of course, he might just have said so to encourage BAME voters to choose Brexit. And that would be clever of him, because black and Asian voters may not all see EU membership, and in particular more immigration from the EU, as entirely in their own interests.

[ 14. June 2016, 13:05: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Presumably the pound will completely tank in the vent of a Brexit and will in all likelihood tank overnight. It's already showing frightening signs of being jittery on the markets. What would be the result of that? Would the UK be looking at a financial crash?

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Brexit could lead to a total collapse of our economy, already under strain from the evil Tory austerity measures. We could face mass unemployment, inflation, collapse of public services, and looking towards Greece dreaming of being that prosperous. But, we'll be free of control from the EU (until the European banks start demanding we repay the money they loaned us) so that's alright then. The cost will be worth it, as we will move from being a sovereign nation that's part of a larger international organisation to being a sovereign nation on our own. What a bargain we would have got.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even the arch Euroskeptic tool John Redwood says that there is a trade deficit to the rest of the EU of Ł107 billion - which bizarrely he seems to think would somehow vanish post-Brexit.

We want all their stuff more than they want ours by a factor of Ł107 billion.

And they're still talking as if the Ł10 billion cost of being part of the EU is important. It isn't.

I mean, really.

--------------------
arse

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

You're talking as though you expect Brexiteers to be able to do simple arithmatic. You fool.

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the argument of sovereignty. Ireland adores the sovereignty argument. Anytime anything comes up and you don't have any reasonable argument you can always declare, 'It's an attack/erosion/defiance/affront against our sovereignty'. It's an amazing thing really. Even priests say it here in relation to the revision of the abortion laws. It seems like everywhere these days everyone is suddenly worried about sovereignty when it never seemed to bother anybody for the last few millennia. Anything difficult that requires people to think, and my God, we all go and shit ourselves about 'sovereignty'. But what the fuck is sovereignty; there appears to be little consensus? My own view is that it has a lot to do with Chewbacca

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
But what the fuck is sovereignty

The ability to make your own laws regardless of whether anybody on the other side of the continent agrees with them or not.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

The ability to make your own laws regardless of whether anybody on the other side of the continent agrees with them or not.
So, basically the status quo. In or out of the EU our ability to pass our own laws will be the same.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Ask Norway how that's working for them.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger:
Not true.

If we leave the EU, no immigrant will ever arrive on our shores again.

Haven't you been listening to Farage?

No, is he planning to build a wall to keep them out?
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

Posted by Alan:
quote:

quote:
quote:
So, basically the status quo. In or out of the EU our ability to pass our own laws will be the same.

Exactly!

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
quote:

Cool. Tell me about the UK parliament's ability to legislate for the sale of 1,700W vacuum cleaners. Or the elimination of tariffs on Australian imports.

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
quote:

Ask Norway how that's working for them.
Considering that Norway doesn't have an application to join the EU, and possibly over 70% of Norwegians are opposed to EU membership presumably pretty well?
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But, you utter moron, in order to retain their favourable trading status with the EU, they are not able to pass any legislation which contradicts EU directives in a pretty wide swathe of competency which is connected with trade according to a pretty creative definition of the term.

As such, they are members by the back door; they are cutting off their nose in the belief that it honors their face.

Something which might start to sound familiar unless people snap out of their childish collective fantasy.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

Posted by Anglican't:
quote:

Cool. Tell me about the UK parliament's ability to legislate for the sale of 1,700W vacuum cleaners. Or the elimination of tariffs on Australian imports.

This is an absolutely perfect example of what I mentioned in an earlier post that comes under the heading of straight bananas and driving on the right. It's just utter nonsense. And let's just say it was true; is that what this really boils down to? What vacuum cleaners you're allowed to sell?

Ridiculous

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

I still fail to understand who actually needs a 1,700W vacuum cleaner.

--------------------
arse

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBunk:
[Norway] are not able to pass any legislation which contradicts EU directives in a pretty wide swathe of competency which is connected with trade according to a pretty creative definition of the term.

It seems odd to me that Norway isnt free to pass such legislation when, according to Alan, the UK is free to do so. One of you must be wrong.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

When in a free trade area there will be some restrictions. Obviously one nation within that area can't unilaterally negotiate trade deals with other nations, within the EU the UK can't negotiate a deal with Australia because the UK then becomes a low-tariff route into the EU. If we leave the EU, but arrange some sort of free-trade treaty with the EU that won't change.

If you want to trade with other nations then you will have to abide with their product standards and codes - and things are an awful lot easier if those are the same as your own. Whether in or out of the EU, so long as the EU is a major customer of our goods and supplier to our market, there will still be no market for over-powered vacuum cleaners.

The only way to avoid those sort of restrictions is to close our borders entirely and trade with no one.

But, I challenge anyone to point to an example of UK legislation that was blocked by the EU, or because of EU opposition didn't even get to a white paper, outwith the remit of international trade. There's been no imposition of same-sex marriage from Brussels, nor any blocks on that from those EU nations which don't recognise same sex marriage. No objections from Brussels when a few years ago the UK put VAT on gas and electricity. Nothing forcing us to change our electoral system, having an elected upper house, which side of the road we drive on, the voltage of our mains electricity supply ...

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My point was more that we lose or gain no freedom to legislate by leaving the EU. The restrictions, such as they are, come from the creation and maintenance of a free-trade zone, which is the EEA, not the EU. Being part of the EEA creates all of those restrictions.

Human rights come from the council of Europe, not the EU. Again, therefore, no increase or decrease in freedom, but not unfettered freedom either.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBunk:
My point was more that we lose or gain no freedom to legislate by leaving the EU. The restrictions, such as they are, come from the creation and maintenance of a free-trade zone, which is the EEA, not the EU. Being part of the EEA creates all of those restrictions.

Human rights come from the council of Europe, not the EU. Again, therefore, no increase or decrease in freedom, but not unfettered freedom either.

BTW, unfettered freedom to legislate = parliamentary dictatorship. A terrifying concept.

--------------------

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
possibly over 70% of Norwegians are opposed to EU membership presumably pretty well?

For Norway if they joined the EU they would pay more money into the budget and get a table to discuss the laws which they are obliged to follow if they wish to trade with the EU. If the UK went the Norwegian way we would probably end up paying the same amount into the pot but with no say and an obligation to follow the rules. If we left the EU we would be losing the rebate because we have left the EU and applying to join the EEA.

If anybody things that the UK is going to get a good deal in the 2 years in which we have to negotiate they are fools.

--------------------

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

I enjoyed this story where

'Vote Leave said a new settlement - including a UK-EU free trade deal - would be possible by May 2020'

I suspect this is about correct but they have only 2 years to do it after invoking article 50 so that they can start to leave. In 2018 we leave and in 2020 we have a trade deal.

So the Vote leaves plan is that the UK is left in limbo for 2 years with no trade deal with the EU. Possibly the worst idea since Napoleon decided to invade Russia.

[ 15. June 2016, 21:37: Message edited by: Nightlamp ]

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
I enjoyed this story where

'Vote Leave said a new settlement - including a UK-EU free trade deal - would be possible by May 2020'

I suspect this is about correct but they have only 2 years to do it after invoking article 50 so that they can start to leave. In 2018 we leave and in 2020 we have a trade deal.

So the Vote leaves plan is that the UK is left in limbo for 2 years with no trade deal with the EU. Possibly the worst idea since Napoleon decided to invade Russia.

I'm pretty sure the timeline goes something like this.

After the UK Parliament ratifies a Brexit vote, we give notice to the EU that we intend to leave. At this point Article 50 has been invoked, and we have 2 years to negotiate our new (out) relationship with the EU.

The 2-year deadline can be extended by a unanimous vote of the 27 remaining countries. If it isn't extended, then at the end of 2 years all of our existing treaties with the EU lapse.

During the 2 years, the UK has a seat at the negotiating table, but doesn't have a vote. During this time, the big question is, how nice will the 27 be to us? Nice, in order to get their hands on our money, or nasty in order to demonstrate to other member states that this is a Very Silly Thing To Try?

One of the likely outcomes is that if we want a high-profile relationship - say along the lines of the EFTA countries - then the 27 will insist on us becoming part of the Schengen Area. All of the EFTA countries are.

If at any point after the original invocation of Article 50 we decide that we've made a big mistake and want back in, then we have to reapply from scratch under Lisbon Article 49. We would have the status of a new applicant, and all new applicants must become part of Schengen, and must commit to eventual membership of the Eurozone. (As things stand, we have a permanent opt-out on both of those.)

I read one economic commentator the other day who said that Article 50 seemed to have been drafted so that no-one would ever dare invoke it, the economic and political consequences being so dire.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Posted by Anglican't:
quote:

This is an absolutely perfect example of what I mentioned in an earlier post that comes under the heading of straight bananas and driving on the right. It's just utter nonsense. And let's just say it was true; is that what this really boils down to? What vacuum cleaners you're allowed to sell?

Ridiculous

They can take away our economic prosperity, they can take away our export capacity, but they will never take away our vacuum cleaners!

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
I still fail to understand who actually needs a 1,700W vacuum cleaner.

What people actually "need" is a vacuum cleaner that sucks. How hard does it need to suck? Well, that depends on the flooring you have, the dirt you have, and of course the size of the head.

'Cause you can make a half-power vacuum cleaner by making it smaller, and the you'll have to run it twice as long to clean the same floor area.

(There's also a big "efficiency" type number between the power the cleaner consumes and how much it sucks, and some of the high-power models aren't necessarily as sucky as one might expect.)

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Presumably the pound will completely tank in the vent of a Brexit and will in all likelihood tank overnight. It's already showing frightening signs of being jittery on the markets. What would be the result of that?

Me buying an enormous amount of CDs from Presto Classical at an improved exchange rate.
Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
They can take away our economic prosperity, they can take away our export capacity, but they will never take away our vacuum cleaners!

First they came for our light bulbs, next it's to be hairdryers and vacuum cleaners. I'm still annoyed about the light bulbs. They now cost three times as much and are measured in lumens instead of watts. By the time the EC's finished with us, I'll be sitting there in the dark with wet hair and a filthy floor.
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When in a free trade area there will be some restrictions. Obviously one nation within that area can't unilaterally negotiate trade deals with other nations, within the EU the UK can't negotiate a deal with Australia because the UK then becomes a low-tariff route into the EU.

Assuming Australia, NZ, Canada or anywhere else for that matter would want to enter into a deal. The way that the UK went into the EU caused very considerable hardship to NZ and the Aust state of Tasmania in particular. Why either country would be rushing into an agreement has not been explained.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:
When in a free trade area there will be some restrictions. Obviously one nation within that area can't unilaterally negotiate trade deals with other nations, within the EU the UK can't negotiate a deal with Australia because the UK then becomes a low-tariff route into the EU.

Assuming Australia, NZ, Canada or anywhere else for that matter would want to enter into a deal. The way that the UK went into the EU caused very considerable hardship to NZ and the Aust state of Tasmania in particular. Why either country would be rushing into an agreement has not been explained.
However, and I say this as someone minded to vote Remain, I suppose the point is more that at the moment negotiation of any such deal is a legal impossibility, so it doesn't even get to the point of whether other parties want it because it can't be done.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  27  28  29 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016