homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Fuck the American injustice system in general

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Fuck the American injustice system in general
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a further attack on American Civil Rights, the US Supreme court have made a horrible ruling.
This is a major blow against the rights of people of colour and poor white people. It isn't a matter of if it will be abused, but how much.

On a related note:

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Meanwhile, changing the subject but not the outrage, this verdict just came in.

Don't need an official police state when the cops can get away with this.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
In a further attack on American Civil Rights, the US Supreme court have made a horrible ruling.

This is nuts, and just plain bad law.

Strieff was stopped illegally after leaving a house in which a cop suspected that drug dealing might be happening. The fact that this was an illegal stop is not in dispute.

As is standard practice, when he was stopped, Streiff's ID was run through the police computer, which revealed he had an outstanding warrant for a minor traffic offense.

The cop then arrested Strieff on the traffic warrant, and searched him, finding a small amount of meth.

Had Streiff not had an arrest warrant out against him, the search would not have been admissible, because it followed an illegal stop.

The Supreme Court ruling is that the discovery of the arrest warrant (due to normal procedure followed after the illegal stop) magically wipes out the illegality of the original stop and renders the search admissible.

As far as I'm concerned, Stotomayor's dissent is right on the money.

[ 24. June 2016, 00:01: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, we can pull you over illegally and hope you have an outstanding warrant. Or we can find drugs in your car. Or drop drugs into your car and then find them. This is a horrible ruling.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
So, we can pull you over illegally and hope you have an outstanding warrant. Or we can find drugs in your car. Or drop drugs into your car and then find them. This is a horrible ruling.

Are there no ethical police in your country?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
quote:

Probably.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Law enforcement as a profession attracts bullies wishing to practice their bullying under color of law. Court decisions like these must bring them much comfort.

[ 24. June 2016, 15:53: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Yes, there are. But we can't simply count on police to do the ethical thing. There have to be strong laws protecting people's constitutional rights and civil oversight of police behavior. I agree this is a horrible ruling. (I work for a police agency, by the way, although in a civilian role.)

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Law enforcement as a profession attracts bullies wishing to practice their bullying under color of law. Court decisions like these must bring them much comfort.

We (rightly) give law enforcement tremendous power. But to quote Spider-Man, "With great power comes great responsibility." This ruling represents a major weakening of the checks and balances (such as they are) against unrestricted bullying by police.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From personal experience from having a crime of violence committed against a loved one, we interacted with about 10 police officers in various contexts: scene, hospital, police station, coming to our home, courthouse. I can only give praise and thanks for their conduct. The people who sucked were all the "support services", and they all sucked badly. -- Thus, I have the idea of a disconnect between American police and police in some other places.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even the decent guys on the force are under extreme peer pressure to support the whole " thin blue line" dogma. ( basically, the predominant feedback we should be getting from the public is that of gratitude. Lives on line, etc.)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
From personal experience from having a crime of violence committed against a loved one, we interacted with about 10 police officers in various contexts: scene, hospital, police station, coming to our home, courthouse. I can only give praise and thanks for their conduct. The people who sucked were all the "support services", and they all sucked badly. -- Thus, I have the idea of a disconnect between American police and police in some other places.

I think you see that sort of variation everywhere.

My SIL was arrested (er, rather, "detained") during the Ferguson protests. His experience with the street cops in Ferguson was abysmal-- everything that had been reported-- beginning with the fact that he was there as a reporter but had his press credentials torn off by the police. He was detained for hours in a police van w/o access to live-sustaining meds. If this is what happens to a white male member of the press, one has little trouble believing the accounts from minority youth.

His experience with police officers in the city jail, otoh, was quite different. They were helpful, compassionate, and professional-- working quickly, for example, to get meds that were thrown out by arresting officers replaced before a health crisis ensued. That might be a fear of repercussions, or the oversight of advocacy groups who were on the scene to help with bail, etc. But it also seems to speak to the way you have individual "cultures" that grow up around different precincts or divisions within a police force. What is allowed in one may not be allowed in another, even within the same department, much less from city to city. We have certainly seen this in the LAPD, where there's tremendous variation (often but not always correlated with the wealth of the community) from precinct to precinct.

Yet even with those vast differences, you still will have that unwritten code of not crossing the "blue line" noted above.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

And yours are all sweetness and light, are they?
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I don't think the border has much to do with this kind of thing any more. This man was killed by police on 14th June and his name was released two days later. Since then there has been a complete silence that we are told may continue for a year or more while the event is investigated. If I were to shoot and kill an unidentified stranger, without leaving my car, because someone had told me he looked threatening, I am fairly sure I know what would happen to me, and it would happen quickly and publicly.

[ 06. July 2016, 23:52: Message edited by: Stercus Tauri ]

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to Minnesota. If you refuse to comply with the officer's orders, you get shot. If you try to comply with the officer's orders, you get shot.

"May I see your license and registration?"
"No."
<BANG>

"Sure, here it .."
<BANG>

[Mad]

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
Welcome to Minnesota. If you refuse to comply with the officer's orders, you get shot. If you try to comply with the officer's orders, you get shot.

"No."
<BANG>

"Sure, here it .."
<BANG>

[Mad]

You know, normally I'd be all over some Canadian that started trashing my home.

I've got nothing. [Disappointed]

Fuck.

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unlike NP, SM phrased her jibe with some sort of empathy toward the people who have to live in a state with crazy ass cops on the roster. I saw nothing to disagree with, either.

You deserve to feel safe in your home. Everyone does.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jbohn:
You know, normally I'd be all over some Canadian that started trashing my home...

Lucky for me I'm a dual citizen with Minnesota Norwegian umpty-ump grandparents. [Big Grin]
Barrett

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you from Lake Wobegone? [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016