homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Farage you utter sack of shit (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Farage you utter sack of shit
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"We won without a single bullet being fired"

[Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1007 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Technically, he is correct. It wasn't a *single* bullet.

[Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Projectile]

Posts: 3950 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm hoping that if we all close our eyes at the same time and wish really bloody hard that Farage will disappear in a puff of bullshit.

Even if he was so fucking stupid to realise what he was saying with regard to Jo Cox, then what the fuck was it meant to mean?

That somehow if he'd lost it would have been utterly right to fire bullets..?

--------------------
arse

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm really hoping, although not with very much belief it's going to happen, that this marks the point where Nige retreats from the public sphere.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1436 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
I'm really hoping, although not with very much belief it's going to happen, that this marks the point where Nige retreats from the public sphere.

That's so not going to happen. He's going to be on every bloody news programme and every sofa for the next 3 months.

--------------------
arse

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:

That's so not going to happen. He's going to be on every bloody news programme and every sofa for the next 3 months.
I know, but on quite a dark morning I still find myself capable of dreaming beautiful dreams.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1436 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He said what!!

Is he mad??

Stupid question.

Do you suppose he will try to form a coalition with the Tories and get a Clegg position?

hilaryg
Shipmate
# 11690

- Posted      Profile for hilaryg   Email hilaryg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He really hasn't grasped the concept of gracious winning and healing divides, has he?

Compared to Cameron's speech, which I thought quite honourable in the circumstances.

Posts: 261 | From: back home in England | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WTFF?!!!! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Technically, he is correct. It wasn't a *single* bullet.

[Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Projectile]

How could he have been referring to that tragic incident when that tragic incident was expected to nudge wobblers into the Remain Camp?

This thing wasn't won by farage it was lost by Remain. The disconnect from traditional Labour voters in key areas played a big part. Getting TB to stand there holding a Remain placard, while the lesser-spotted Jeremy was nowhere to be seen looked and felt pathetic .

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3105 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
How could he have been referring to that tragic incident when that tragic incident was expected to nudge wobblers into the Remain Camp?

He wasn't of course. And when he said it, the polls were closed and the count nearly done.

I'm assuming he was surviving on little sleep, cigarettes and alcohol.

But I think it shows an underlying level of stupidity and says something about what he thought might have been a fair response if he had actually lost it.

quote:
This thing wasn't won by farage it was lost by Remain. The disconnect from traditional Labour voters in key areas played a big part. Getting TB to stand there holding a Remain placard, while the lesser-spotted Jeremy was nowhere to be seen looked and felt pathetic .
Bollocks. Leaving aside all the in-fighting in the Tory party, every single claim made by Leave was rebuffed. Every single one.

The country rejected logic and instead went for gut feeling - which was that immigration was bad and that somehow leaving the EU would make a difference to that.

--------------------
arse

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I must confess I laughed out loud when Farage said on telly that the idea that European savings could go to the NHS was misguided. I knew it was coming alright; I just didm;t expect it one hour after the result. One hour!!!

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5216 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
... Do you suppose he will try to form a coalition with the Tories and get a Clegg position?

Wouldn't he need an actual seat at Westminster to do that, which thanks be to God, he doesn't have?

What a complete arse.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 19750 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
I must confess I laughed out loud when Farage said on telly that the idea that European savings could go to the NHS was misguided. I knew it was coming alright; I just didm;t expect it one hour after the result. One hour!!!

To admit that he has actually won because he blatently and deliberately lied to people shows either real courage, utter stupidity on the level of someone who thinks they are a teapot, or a belief that their position is right irrespective of truth, fact or information.

Two of these fit.

I want to see a new stature erected in honour of British mindnumbing stupidity. I think Farages head on a stick would work.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18679 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
... Do you suppose he will try to form a coalition with the Tories and get a Clegg position?

Wouldn't he need an actual seat at Westminster to do that, which thanks be to God, he doesn't have?

What a complete arse.

If Boris the Cream-Faced Loon becomes Tory leader, I expect Farage will be given a seat in the Lords, from whence he will exercise whatever ministerial powers Boris gives him. Don't you just hate unelected elites?

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9771 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely Farage would have more integrity than to accept a seat in an undemocratic, unelected legeslative body?

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1007 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I think that many things are going to unravel and that people will see what damage he's caused and turn on Farage and savage him (sadly only metaphorically).

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23073 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger:
Surely Farage would have more integrity than to accept a seat in an undemocratic, unelected legeslative body?

[Killing me]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The good thing is that he loses, and so do other Kippers, income from not-attending or working at the EU.
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
He said what!!

Is he mad??

Stupid question.

Do you suppose he will try to form a coalition with the Tories and get a Clegg position?

He'd have to get elected to Parliament first.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12846 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh good Lord, what on earth has Cameron let them do to this country...

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Farage was running his own campaign, and wasn't officially part of the Leave campaign, so I believe he wasn't technically party to the £350 on the NHS lie. I wasn't paying attention to what he said, so he may have repeated it in his own right. But if he didn't then he can disown it.

Gove and Bloody Stupid were party to the statement. I rather fear Farage and the interviewer have got them off the hook by despatching the awkward question so early.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10411 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brexit guy on newsnight is now saying they want free movement of labour ....

What were people voting leave thinking they'd get again ? Do we think they are going to think they got what they were promised ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19194 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger:

I don't think I've ever seen the words "Farage" and "integrity" in the same sentence before. They don't really go together very well, do they?

At least, as Penny pointed out, he's presumably now unemployed (or as he would probably put it, a "Scrounger").

[Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 19750 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

And now the man has gone back to something that has been on his mind since at least 2013, probably since Dunblane itself, since he mentions it every time he raises the subject of the legalisation of handguns, and the 'kneejerk' banning that followed the killings. He has done this on several occasions.

From the Telegraph

It was obviously on his mind yesterday with his 'no bullets' remark.

What is he after? And can he be contained? He could have that being saved for some great purpose idea after his plane crash as has happened to others after near misses.

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
Brexit guy on newsnight is now saying they want free movement of labour ....

What were people voting leave thinking they'd get again ? Do we think they are going to think they got what they were promised ?

[Killing me] [Killing me] and how exactly are they going to sell that to the people who voted for them because they kept on going on about how they'd stem immigration? How can you "take control of your borders" and have free movement of labour?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17698 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Note from the BBC2 newsnight discussion with some folk from Boston lincs - they didn't believe the 350 mill claim literally. But the key thing was migration. Multi-occupancy non-english speaking folk working in the same place.

So free movement of labour whilst out of the EU wouldn't solve their problem.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston,_Lincolnshire

Their actual problem sounds like poor planning / zoning re accomodation - not enough social housing but also in terms of where people are permitted / encouraged to build their major depots.

[ 25. June 2016, 20:33: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I know, but on quite a dark morning I still find myself capable of dreaming beautiful dreams.

He wants UKIP to play a part in the negotiations, so sadly that might remain just a dream.
Posts: 3869 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:

Farage was running his own campaign, and wasn't officially part of the Leave campaign, so I believe he wasn't technically party to the £350 on the NHS lie. I wasn't paying attention to what he said, so he may have repeated it in his own right. But if he didn't then he can disown it.
On question time, his response to the issue was "It's not £350 million... it's a lot more than that", which brought scoffs and laughs from the audience. Obviously he didn't clarify his 'maths'.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2075 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr Farage. He's a sack of shit alright. Specifically, he's an oily, presuming, jumped-up sack of shit who appears to think that he can speak, on behalf of the whole machinery of British government, past and present.

What I'm referring to is this;

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11664618

wherein Mr Farage was condescending enough to do an interview with my country's second-worst thing on the airwaves, in which he apologised, you know, for all that shit back then in the '70's where our exports dried up overnight due to, you know, that awkward thing where they, you know, shacked up with the EEC instead. (And now that's she's not around to wash my socks anymore, I thought of you, dear, and how happy we were together)...

As the president of Federated Farmers effectively said - that was a long time ago now, and I think we might be over it.

But hey, England, if you were thinking of trying a charm offensive down here - how's about you send someone charming, not a hamster-cheeked loon who gets his suits second-hand from a used-car salesman, and, if the photographic record is correct, never actually closes his mouth.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 986 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm waiting for him to say something to get himself charged with inciting racial hatred (and, of course, convicted). Or, for someone to charge him for some of the stuff he has already said.

--------------------
All I want for Christmas is EU

Posts: 32183 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
I'm waiting for him to say something to get himself charged with inciting racial hatred (and, of course, convicted). Or, for someone to charge him for some of the stuff he has already said.

Doesn't that poster count?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24049 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd have thought so. But, to the best of my knowledge there is no investigation heading towards such a prosecution over it.

--------------------
All I want for Christmas is EU

Posts: 32183 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Karl:
quote:
How can you "take control of your borders" and have free movement of labour?

Really, Karl, I gave you credit for more intelligence than that. On the one hand we have this long queue of people waiting to get into the country that the EU says we've got to let in. On the other we have this long queue of working-age people with skills and talents this country needs that we have decided to let in ourselves.

Completely different, as Nigel Farrago would be the first to say.

Oh wait - it's the same queue...

Posts: 3950 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

According to a piece in the Guardian by the photographer, who took the picture to enable people to understand the situation of the refugees, and had travelled along with them, he had not sought permission to use the picture. But there was something about the agency which prevented any comeback.
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Guardian:

quote:
A spokesperson for Getty Images confirmed that the picture had been licensed from them and was taken in Slovenia in 2015 by its staff photographer Jeff Mitchell. “It is always uncomfortable when an objective news photograph is used to deliver any political message or subjective agenda. However, the image in question has been licensed legitimately,” they said.
The photographer clearly relinquished his rights by selling the picture to Getty. Permission was clearly sought and paid for.

None of this excuses Farage's misleading use of the image, but trashing him effectively requires having your facts straight.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17284 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

None of this excuses Farage's misleading use of the image, but trashing him effectively requires having your facts straight.

Which is a massive irony.

[ 28. June 2016, 13:05: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 17081 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was trying to be polite...

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17284 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I did imply the legal use of the image. Couldn't find the piece on line in time to get my facts straight.

He has been behaving badly in the EU today, and having stuff said to him. I would be cheering them on, were I there.

BBC report

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
How can you "take control of your borders" and have free movement of labour?

Very easily. You make your own decision to have open borders instead of being told by someone else that you must have open borders.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18143 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But access to the Single Market means you do have to accept someone else imposing their definition of free movement of labour, so you don't control your own borders after all.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know what "access to the Single Market" means.

I do know it's perfectly possible for Australian goods to enter Europe.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It means that stuff moves around without taxes being levied. So when Marks and Sparks send their finest English tea across the Channel, I can buy it for the same price as in the UK. In future, thanks to the Brexiteers, I will have to pay import duties. Bastards.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
It means that stuff moves around without taxes being levied. So when Marks and Sparks send their finest English tea across the Channel, I can buy it for the same price as in the UK. In future, thanks to the Brexiteers, I will have to pay import duties. Bastards.

Well, "no taxes" doesn't automatically mean "same price" (especially with different currencies), but point taken.

Though it's worth pointing out that many free trade deals arise outside of a "Single Market". We have a number with the EU ourselves that enable us to export goods there without tariffs. I know because I've drafted some of the relevant legislation at this end.

[ 28. June 2016, 16:21: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

Of course, nobody is forced to put import duties onto anything. The EU has a deal with Palestine, for example, which means certain products are duty free.

And products are obviously not the same price across the EU for a whole load of different reasons - transport costs, economies of scale, labour costs, demand etc.

The actual difference between being in the EU and not is that all (legal) products can move entirely freely around the zone without any interference. So I can go and sell my products in Sweden or Spain or Romania as if I was a citizen/resident of those countries.

If the UK leaves the EU, then there will inevitably be trade barriers, even if they're not actual import tariffs.

--------------------
arse

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
Of course, nobody is forced to put import duties onto anything. The EU has a deal with Palestine, for example, which means certain products are duty free.

And products are obviously not the same price across the EU for a whole load of different reasons - transport costs, economies of scale, labour costs, demand etc.

The actual difference between being in the EU and not is that all (legal) products can move entirely freely around the zone without any interference. So I can go and sell my products in Sweden or Spain or Romania as if I was a citizen/resident of those countries.

If the UK leaves the EU, then there will inevitably be trade barriers, even if they're not actual import tariffs.

Sure. And conversely, someone in Sweden or Spain or Romania will face greater barriers to coming to the UK to sell their stuff there.

The positives and negatives of this depend very much on one's position. Are you buying or selling? Which market is the most lucrative, the one you're in or the one you're not? Who are your competitors and how is their situation different to yours?

What is most valuable to you in a product?

I put that last one separately because it's one that's been bugging me a bit lately. Globalisation seems to have become a race to provide the cheapest product, not the one of the greatest value. A lot of the world seems happy to purchase a product that is a little bit shit so long as it's the cheapest option.

And then, while saying that our trade is "free", we end up having to impose various standards and requirements and bans to protect ourselves and see to it that none of this stuff is really shit in ways that could render a product either useless or dangerous.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely see the benefits of trade. But I sometimes think that we are so keen on the notion of "free" trade that we cease to engage in critical thinking about the kinds of barriers that we want and need.

Meanwhile, we make it easier for really big companies to move money and resources around, evade our taxes (a big issue in Australia recently, with the Australian divisions of multinationals like Google and Apple paying almost nothing on Australian-generate income) and then we're surprised that they are so much more able to take advantage of the globalised world than all the people we thought we were doing it for.

We had cigarette companies suing Australia for imposing world-leading bans on tobacco advertising. That was the whole problem. "World-leading" is a synonym for "different". Thankfully the case was lost, but I definitely find it concerning that such a case is even possible.

For all the benefits of being able to go to Sweden or Spain or Romania and do business as if you were a citizen, the fact is you're not a citizen. The governments of those countries are not elected by you, they're not answerable to you at the ballot box, and they're not supposed to be looking after your interests. They're supposed to be looking after the interests of their actual citizens.

And if those interests aren't compatible with yours then frankly, I think you should be losing out. Conversely, I think the interests of Romanian and Swedish businesses should, in the UK, be losing out to the interests of UK citizens in those situations where a conflict of interests arises.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

What is most valuable to you in a product?

I put that last one separately because it's one that's been bugging me a bit lately. Globalisation seems to have become a race to provide the cheapest product, not the one of the greatest value. A lot of the world seems happy to purchase a product that is a little bit shit so long as it's the cheapest option.

Often, "a little bit shit" is good enough. Often, cheap shit is better than no shit.

Telling me that there's more value in that product over there does me no good if I can't afford it, and it does me no good if I don't actually need the extra things it does.

Take kids' clothing, for example. It is easy to buy cheap shit, and it's easy to buy more expensive high quality clothes. Most of the time, I buy the cheap shit.

Why? Because they grow so fast, they grow out of it before it's worn out, so there's no advantage to more durable clothing. And if its cheap, I don't have to care when they rip it falling out of a tree, or stain it with permanent ink or anything. The extra value in higher-quality clothing isn't useful to me.

I'd agree that a consequence of the prevalence of cheap shit is that decent stuff tends to be more expensive than it otherwise would. If most price-sensitive consumers are buying the cheap stuff, there's not so much incentive for manufacturers to produce something better at a reasonable price - you often end up with a choice between cheap shit and stupidly expensive.

Posts: 4893 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Conversely, I think the interests of Romanian and Swedish businesses should, in the UK, be losing out to the interests of UK citizens in those situations where a conflict of interests arises.

How far down does this principle extend? A Scottish business in England? A Yorkshire business in London? A Lambeth business in Southwark?

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10411 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:
But hey, England, if you were thinking of trying a charm offensive down here - how's about you send someone charming, not a hamster-cheeked loon who gets his suits second-hand from a used-car salesman, and, if the photographic record is correct, never actually closes his mouth.

I think we weren't actually sending him on a charm offensive. I think we have turned back the clock so far we were trying to exile him to the penal colony.

And he is not a sack of shit. A sack of shit has some possible use as fertiliser.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18679 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016