homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » What's there not to hate about the summer? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What's there not to hate about the summer?
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All the tourists here wear camo and they want to shoot Bambi, Winnie the Pooh, and other creatures so they can cut their heads off and put 'em on their walls.

Just imagine this here little angel icon [Angel] with a hypodermic needle where her absent nose is, and she invites her friends to punch holes in you and first spit into the hole before sucking up some your boiling blood.

--------------------
Maybe I should stop to consider that I'm not worthy of an epiphany and just take what life has to offer
(formerly was just "no prophet") \_(ツ)_/

Posts: 10833 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Deer hunting season is in the winter.

--------------------
God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean. --Acts 10:28

Posts: 62942 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have recently had reason to revisit memories of the last time I sunbathed, on August 4th, 1972, when I developed an allergy to sunlight. It was somewhat disturbed sunlight, due to the arrival of a fierce proton storm from the Sun just as I went out to my parents' lawn at about ten to one (BST), but I haven't taken any risks since.

And I have great difficulty finding cool spots in my home, since I have a flat roof, and the PV panels don't seem to intercept the heat very well.

And I don't much mind the barbecue fumes, so long as they aren't from burned food. It's the other stuff, that I don't want to inhale.

[ 16. August 2016, 08:18: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He didn't say deer, he said fictional characters. You should see the parties that set off after the Snark.

The only actual fauna are giant mosquitos. Which makes you wonder why anyone goes (or lives) there at all.

Posts: 17234 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
He didn't say deer, he said fictional characters.

To be precise he didn't say "fictional" it's just that the creatures he mentions are fictional. Bambi is a deer. Granted WtP is a bear. Bear hunting season is generally in the Autumn. Hunting is by and large an autumnal and hibernal sport.

--------------------
God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean. --Acts 10:28

Posts: 62942 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's an autumnal activity for some species, with most seasons being in Sept to Nov somewhere. Though there's open season on Peter Rabbit, Nutkin the Squirrel, and other vermin. The spring Teddy Bear season is quite popular as the just woken up hungry bears can be baited to come into close range. One mustn't shoot Owl, and we should be grateful for the reduction in small rodents.

--------------------
Maybe I should stop to consider that I'm not worthy of an epiphany and just take what life has to offer
(formerly was just "no prophet") \_(ツ)_/

Posts: 10833 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

- Posted      Profile for cornflower     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What I hate is the far too crowded beaches (well, there are some that aren't but they tend to be small rocky coves, where you can get cut off by the tide if not careful, or have uncertain currents, no lifeguard. Or else they are virtually estuaries, very muddy, with people ignoring the warning signs and having to be rescued from the mud. I was fortunate enough to visit my sister who was living in BC and we went to the beach in Vancouver. I just couldn't believe it, height of summer, school holidays, but whilst there were quite a lot of people, it wasn't crowded...and it was right on the city. Totally amazed I was. If that were somewhere in UK, there'd probably be standing room only.
Posts: 111 | From: uk | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No prophet - you'd be in serious trouble if you shot Squirrel Nutkin over here. Go for the greys, by all means it's positively encouraged in Cumbria.

If anyone is looking for quiet beaches, might I suggest the Llyn peninsula? A bit pebbly, but wonderfully quiet.

--------------------
Pax et bonum

Posts: 75 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another tip: try a beach that requires a bit of a walk from the nearest place to park a car or look for one without loos or a cafeteria/shop.

My favourite beach is less than a mile from the end of a much-advertised beach but requires a c500 metre walk from a small car park with no 'facilities'. I've driven past 3 miles of static cars queueing for the 'proper' beach and parked (with only 3 other cars) for free.

Many Brits aren't prepared to walk or seem incapable of organising themselves a picnic.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4603 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Or head for the Pentland Firth/Hebrides/northwest coast of Ireland. Mile upon mile of empty white beaches, their unblemished sands washed by crystalline breakers. God's wee joke.
Posts: 17234 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I nearly mentioned those miles of beaches. I have rain obscured photos demonstrating why they may be underused. What doesn't show is how hard I was working to hold the camera still in the teeth of a howling gale.

(I was in Scotland last week, another of God's little jokes considering the weather this week.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13479 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
cornflower
Shipmate
# 13349

- Posted      Profile for cornflower     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Another tip: try a beach that requires a bit of a walk from the nearest place to park a car or look for one without loos or a cafeteria/shop.

My favourite beach is less than a mile from the end of a much-advertised beach but requires a c500 metre walk from a small car park with no 'facilities'. I've driven past 3 miles of static cars queueing for the 'proper' beach and parked (with only 3 other cars) for free.

Many Brits aren't prepared to walk or seem incapable of organising themselves a picnic.

Yes, that's true, I prefer those sorts of places, but unfortunately my husband can't walk as far as he used, and certainly not on stony or pebbly beaches, not even smallish gravel...kills his feet, even through trainers [Frown]
Posts: 111 | From: uk | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And speaking of killing...

This thread hasn't got long to live. And depending on what the Torlets get tomorrow in their exams, I'll either joyfully or hatefully execute it. Whichever, summer can go sit on a rusty farm implement.

DT
HH

--------------------
Get your arse to Mars

Posts: 8700 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
I don't think UK weather is especially difficult to deal with, except as special Euro-centric pleading via comparing to the Mediterranean countries you folks like to visit, which I guess you should visit before Brexit makes it resemble Canadian-USA post-Sept 11 travel.

UK - and Irish - weather may not be, to you, especially difficult to deal with. However, for those of us who live here and for the reasons stated it is a pain in the backside. There are plus sides, too, of course but that's not what this thread is about.

I'm not sure what 'Euro-centric pleading' is, let alone has to do with the weather?! I daresay it makes sense to you, so that's nice.

And yep, re: visiting Mediterranean countries; been there, done that, liked it very much, thank you, rather like to go back there. Much like almost everyone else I know in the British Isles. Still has nothing to do with what a pain in the butt UK/Irish weather is.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 9930 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hate to agree with NP when he is being a know it all, but he's right about the peculiar challenges of North American winter-- at least some parts of it. European, Those of your extended family who made the trek over here in the late 1800's and tried to settle in the wide open prairies were disproportionately wiped out by their first couple decades of blizzards, the longest of which lasted from early October to June ( on and off) and cut off all routes of travel and supplies to the middle territories, in the US. The East Coast/ English/Scottish migrants spent September wondering why the long time locals were bugging the fuck out and heading for the southwest, and were completely unprepared for the volume, strength, and endurance of prairie snow. Even after unusually nasty blizzards hit them three winters in a row.

Except the Norwegians. They did OK. They just pickled fish and used the snow to insulate their lean- tos. This is why Da Lutheranz bred like rabbits in Minissota.

--------------------
"Take your broken heart, make it into art"-- Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

Posts: 35051 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Behold my capricious and undemocratic power! The results are in - and this thread is going to join the pile of old A level notes in the furnace. Go chat about your holidays somewhere else, proles.

Thread closed.

DT
HH

--------------------
Get your arse to Mars

Posts: 8700 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016