homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Ryan Lochte - one more reason for the world to hate Americans (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ryan Lochte - one more reason for the world to hate Americans
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Katie Rich on Twitter:

Now I'm going to have a hard time believing men when they say they've been robbed.

"I was robbed", the oft repeated refrain of sportsmen who failed to win. What they really mean is "the other guy was better" but their not man enough to give credit where it is due.

In the case of Ryan Lochte he may be pretty good in the swimming pool (but, only 5th place in his individual event), outside the pool pretty much half the human race are better than him.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Peeing on walls , for Chrissake? Was he actually trying to become a walking cliche metaphor of entitlement?

I have formed the opinion that pissing up walls is a very, very basic (think brain stem level) of claiming territory. Like any male mammal which sprays. So I suppose it could be entitlement, but at the level of doubting entitlement, so using a public method of imposing the idea on observers, when the pisser isn't quite sure in himself of his status.

Unless, of course, it's the covert Olympic contest of who gets highest up the wall. One of my colleagues once came across that going on. Primary school boys.

[ 20. August 2016, 11:14: Message edited by: Penny S ]

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

In the case of Ryan Lochte he may be pretty good in the swimming pool (but, only 5th place in his individual event), outside the pool pretty much half the human race are better than him.

He is more than pretty good. His Olympic medal count would be considered outstanding if not for the comparison to Phelps. He has more international competition medals than Phelps, though fewer golds. But not my much. If Phelps had never entered a pool, Lochte would be lauded. Instead he is an also ran.
ISTM, the story he told was a bid for attention. This is not meant as an excuse, he is still an idiot.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
quote:
Peeing on walls , for Chrissake? Was he actually trying to become a walking cliche metaphor of entitlement?

I have formed the opinion that pissing up walls is a very, very basic (think brain stem level) of claiming territory. Like any male mammal which sprays.
It's freaking biblical, and comes with a curse.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chapter and verse? And is the curse for the perpetrator or the owner of the wall?
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
If Phelps had never entered a pool, Lochte would be lauded. Instead he is an also ran.
ISTM, the story he told was a bid for attention. This is not meant as an excuse, he is still an idiot.

If Lochte had never entered a pool where would he be? Too many people in sport reckon they have a free pass (ditto entertainment: it's a fame thing).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

He is more than pretty good. His Olympic medal count would be considered outstanding if not for the comparison to Phelps. He has more international competition medals than Phelps, though fewer golds. But not my much. If Phelps had never entered a pool, Lochte would be lauded. Instead he is an also ran.

One theory of why he did the media interviews with the false story he gave, is that Lochte is intensely jealous of Phelps, who basically took the bulk of the media attention this time around. Phelps, has as always, a spectacular Olympic result whereas Lochte, to my recall, didn't do as well as he did in 2012. So Lochte was craving some sort of media attention, but either by ignorance or by forgetfulness, he didn't realize that if you tell a false story in public, eventually you will be found out.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Chapter and verse? And is the curse for the perpetrator or the owner of the wall?

1)
1 Sam 25:22
1 Sam 25:34
1 Kings 14:10
1 Kings 16:11
1 Kings 21:21
2 Kings 9:8

2)
You decide.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
If Phelps had never entered a pool, Lochte would be lauded. Instead he is an also ran.

If Lochte had never entered a pool where would he be?
Who knows? Not certain what you mean. If it is that he has a level of fame that he would not likely have otherwise, despite Phelps, and should be appreciative of that; I agree.
He has, or perhaps had an opportunity to capitalise on his success. Something the vast majority of athletes will never have.
quote:

Too many people in sport reckon they have a free pass (ditto entertainment: it's a fame thing).

As long as we abet this behaviour, it will continue.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I have formed the opinion that pissing up walls is a very, very basic (think brain stem level) of claiming territory. Like any male mammal which sprays. So I suppose it could be entitlement, but at the level of doubting entitlement, so using a public method of imposing the idea on observers, when the pisser isn't quite sure in himself of his status.

Unless, of course, it's the covert Olympic contest of who gets highest up the wall. One of my colleagues once came across that going on. Primary school boys.

It's brute Territorialism, which is exactly why it translates well as a universal insult. It both says, "I'm coopting your territory, whether you like it or not" and "I don't give a shit about your territory/ life."

It's a very good metaphor for what Europeans in general did to Brazil, by the way, and I can see why the locals might get pretty visceral about it.

I should say, European royalty and multinational businesses, at this point in history.

[ 20. August 2016, 17:00: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

He has, or perhaps had an opportunity to capitalise on his success. Something the vast majority of athletes will never have.

To say nothing of teachers, nurses, social workers... a whole host of lowly paid workers laboring in obscurity to make the world a better place.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:

1)
1 Sam 25:22
1 Sam 25:34
1 Kings 14:10
1 Kings 16:11
1 Kings 21:21
2 Kings 9:8

2)
You decide.

Thank you - I hadn't thought a mere search for the phrase would work, so I didn't bother. Now I feel guilty for being lazy.

I get the impression that there is something more meant with that formula - with him that is shut up in Israel - what does that mean? It can't just mean yobbish types.

[ 20. August 2016, 21:05: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think it is deep arcana--urine is excrement and smells foul, kills plants and corrodes surfaces. Pissing on someone's property basically says, fuck your entire life.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

( and on that note, if you are curious about further exploration of the context and meaning of the above verses, there is this fantastic place called Kerygmania where you will find loads of people just ecstatic at the prospect of discussing Biblical pissing for pages and pages. Head over there! They'll be delirious to see you!)

[ 20. August 2016, 21:32: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:

To say nothing of teachers, nurses, social workers... a whole host of lowly paid workers laboring in obscurity to make the world a better place.
Well, yes. But they were never going to have a spotlight shown upon them, it is not the nature of their vocations. Attention is part of most athletic endeavours.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
( and on that note, if you are curious about further exploration of the context and meaning of the above verses, there is this fantastic place called Kerygmania where you will find loads of people just ecstatic at the prospect of discussing Biblical pissing for pages and pages. Head over there! They'll be delirious to see you!)

Here you go. Come on over.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

The Germans, among others have a paint technology that makes walls bounce the pee back.

[ 21. August 2016, 07:18: Message edited by: Palimpsest ]

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Return to Sender [Big Grin]

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is being discussed on BBC Radio 4 Broadcasting House as I type. The perpetrator, by the way, said in a recording: 'I overexaggerated.' - Never trust someone with bad grammar. It didn't work for Dubya. He oughta get Lochte'd up.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He's apologised for misunderestimating the effects of his overexaggeration, and for appearing to abandon his team-mates to take the rap. So it's all OK now.

[ 21. August 2016, 09:12: Message edited by: passer ]

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good grief! And you're saying that just in passer-ing.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I could have done with that paint at my last home. The guy in the next door house had turned his Edwardian house into a hotel. From the main road, it looked a bit like the Bates Motel, so never did very well. But he also ran it as a pub. In the late evening, his mates would leave it, and its provision of loo, drive out of the car park, pull in by our drive, about 20 yards along, and act biblical part way up our drive.*

I wanted paint that would glow green on impact. One evening I had just put my car away round the back and came clopping round in headmistress shoes, as the flow began. "That isn't very nice, is it?" I enunciated assertively, and he went away - I hope uncomfortably.

That bouncy paint would have been brilliant.

*There was something territorial going on - he would cut our trees. Deep resentment for no apparent reason.

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
He's apologised for misunderestimating the effects of his overexaggeration, and for appearing to abandon his team-mates to take the rap. So it's all OK now.

I'm not sure I'd call it an overexaggeration. It was a lie. Perhaps an alcohol-fueled lie (as in "I was so sloshed I don't really remember how I ended up back at my hotel less a couple $100s but I do remember a gun."). But a lie nonetheless. And the failure to admit that-- to try to find a weasely way around it-- is part of the problem.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I believe the passing one was being a smartass, but I defer to his further testimony.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

gotta learn the rhythm of the underworld...

--------------------

passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I believe the passing one was being a smartass, but I defer to his further testimony.

You know me well, ma'am!
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Lochte will now have to pay his own cash to smuggle budgies as Speedo end their sponsorship.
This could well end his career.
Fitting punishment for a moment of drunken immaturity?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Lochte will now have to pay his own cash to smuggle budgies as Speedo end their sponsorship.

Yup. Drunken immaturity proceeds from the innermost being. That's who he is when he lets his guard down. And the lies were when he was sober. He's not a good egg at bottom. Certainly not somebody I'd want representing MY company. If he's hanging his entire career on a sponsorship, how much can his career be worth?

--------------------

passer

Indigo
# 13329

That NYP front cover was a killer. The board of Speedo must have choked on their breakfasts when they saw that.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
quote:

Yup. Drunken immaturity proceeds from the innermost being. That's who he is when he lets his guard down. And the lies were when he was sober. He's not a good egg at bottom. Certainly not somebody I'd want representing MY company. If he's hanging his entire career on a sponsorship, how much can his career be worth?
I do not blame Speedo for dropping him, it is a business decision.
Swimming isn't football, there is not much money for most participants. Without endorsements, most struggle to compete. This is true for most of the sporting events represented in the Olympics. Endorsements are their salary.
He's not a good egg? You know this? Yes, he should not have done what he did. But this is one mistake. One. And whilst incredibly douchey, not one that will have a single iota of effect on Rio or Brazil.

If one mistake is all it takes, shoot me now. I have made real mistakes that had a real effect. Not that I have ever claimed to be a good person.

To make this clear, I am NOT defending his actions. I do think the level of vitriol a bit OTT, though.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I do think the level of vitriol a bit OTT, though.

Do you? Do you really?

This man - this wealthy man - thought it was okay to vandalise someone's livelihood and lie about having been mugged at gunpoint by crooks masquerading as police officers.

Filing a false report (or wasting police time, or attempting to pervert the course of justice. IANAL) and criminal damage, dissing your hosts while representing your country, making it seem as if the cops that stop you might not actually be cops...

It'd be OTT if he'd admitted it from the get-go, but he fled the country rather than correct the record. And once safely back in the US, he just kept on going.

No one's suggested he gets concrete overshoes. They just don't think he's actually faced up to what he's done. Now his sponsors are hitting him in the only place he understands - his wallet. Good. There might be actual contrition at some point.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

"It's just one little ol' mistake" is the excuse that keeps white athlete privilege alive and well. Indeed it's the exact same idea behind letting rapists off the hook. Are you going to ruin this promising boy's life for just 20 minutes of action? Only white males get this kind of a pass on the evil they do. It needs to stop.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:
I do think the level of vitriol a bit OTT, though.

Do you? Do you really?
Yes I do. Really.
quote:

This man - this wealthy man - thought it was okay to vandalise someone's livelihood

The vandalism was inexcusable, though apparently minor.

quote:

and lie about having been mugged at gunpoint by crooks masquerading as police officers.
Filing a false report (or wasting police time, or attempting to pervert the course of justice.

It appears he told a tale to his mates and his mum. Rumours took it from private to public. He did not have the courage or maturity to stop the train before it derailed.
quote:

IANAL) and criminal damage, dissing your hosts while representing your country, making it seem as if the cops that stop you might not actually be cops...

A real phenomenon. Nothing in his tale is out of possibility in Rio. What tripped him up was his behaviour and important inconsistencies,* not it being unlikely.

Speedo, and any other sponsors who follow suit, are justified in pulling their sponsorship.
Americans who are embarrassed by him are understandable. I'm not saying people should not be mad at him. Just questioning the strength of the reaction.

I don't have much sympathy for Rio officials. The increased security came at a cost and will disappear after the athletes exit, leaving the population open to non-Olympics levels of crime.

*Mobile theft is massive in Rio, thieves would not have likely left them in possession of theirs.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
"It's just one little ol' mistake" is the excuse that keeps white athlete privilege alive and well. Indeed it's the exact same idea behind letting rapists off the hook. Are you going to ruin this promising boy's life for just 20 minutes of action?

Oh just fuck you. Lochte tore a poster and kicked a door, he didn't rape anyone.
quote:

Only white males get this kind of a pass on the evil they do. It needs to stop.

If you think I am excusing him at all, you are an idiot.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:
"It's just one little ol' mistake" is the excuse that keeps white athlete privilege alive and well. Indeed it's the exact same idea behind letting rapists off the hook. Are you going to ruin this promising boy's life for just 20 minutes of action?

Oh just fuck you. Lochte tore a poster and kicked a door, he didn't rape anyone.
Thank you for completely misreading what I said. It's a talent.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thank you for completely misreading what I said. It's a talent.
Have you ever noticed how many of us have this "talent"? You certainly refer to it often enough.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
He did not have the courage or maturity to stop the train before it derailed.

[Killing me]

He's 32. And an Olympic athlete.

True story. The Girl clipped wing mirrors with a parked car. She stopped. She picked up the debris (ours - cover came off, theirs - cover came off and was cracked). She knocked on the nearby doors until she found the owner of the car. She exchanged details with them. She came home and was mortified that she'd 'crashed the car'.

She's 18. Lochte can go fuck himself.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Have you ever noticed how many of us have this "talent"? You certainly refer to it often enough.

Links?

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
quote:

Links?
Recent posts on Purg in the US presidency thread show that you have few if any tactics other than crying "Mummy, the big boys don't understand me".

Sorry Bubba, they understand you just fine.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Links?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
quote:
He did not have the courage or maturity to stop the train before it derailed.

[Killing me]

He's 32. And an Olympic athlete.

True story. The Girl clipped wing mirrors with a parked car. She stopped. She picked up the debris (ours - cover came off, theirs - cover came off and was cracked). She knocked on the nearby doors until she found the owner of the car. She exchanged details with them. She came home and was mortified that she'd 'crashed the car'.

She's 18. Lochte can go fuck himself.

You have previously shown at least the potential for intelligent thought. Try using that now, we'll ignore the smell as the dust of disuse burns off.
I am not defending his actions, and give zero fucks about him. Just saying the reaction is disproportionate.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
You have previously shown at least the potential for intelligent thought.

That clearly makes me the favourite in our little 'discussion'...

Go wring your hankie somewhere else. This is Hell.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Beam me up. There's no intelligent life on this planet." [Biased]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I am not defending his actions, and give zero fucks about him. Just saying the reaction is disproportionate.

I don't know the full extent of the reaction to this guy and his foolishness at the Olympics, so can't say if the reaction is really disproportionate. However, in many countries, alleging crime has taken place when it hasn't is a pretty serious crime in itself, to say nothing of wasting police time which is also viewed pretty seriously by many nations' authorities. Usually punishable in some significant way.

And it is a fairly serious thing that he was illegally accusing the nation who were being hospitable to him of robbery, when it was he who was guilty of unacceptable behaviour.

I don't know what else this 'disproportionate reaction' consists of - I don't believe in dog-piling - but it is entirely right he should lose the lucrative sponsorship deals, and should have some questions hanging over him now with regard to his future as an affluent athletic professional. Criminal, or near criminal, behaviour should be recognized for what it is and responded to.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:

And it is a fairly serious thing that he was illegally accusing the nation who were being hospitable to him of robbery, when it was he who was guilty of unacceptable behaviour.

He didn't accuse a nation. He told a stupid, private lie that snowballed into public. He did minor vandalism and impugned the character of non-existent thieves.

He continued the lie and that caused some effort for the police and some consternation for the Rio Olympic officials.* And embarrassment to Americans. For this last paragraph, it is understandable that his sponsorship disappeared.
ISTM, he should at least appear in court for the false police report, vandalism and completely reimburse for the damage.

What he did not do is impugn Brazil, its people or its police. He deserves contempt, I'm not arguing that. Just think that the level is a little heavy. YMMV.

*Again, hard to care about their reputation, given the "alleged" forced clearances of favelas and human rights abuses and the likely return to normal levels of crime in the coming weeks. If not days.

quote:
quote:
You have previously shown at least the potential for intelligent thought.

That clearly makes me the favourite in our little 'discussion'...
I'll admit this retort is passing clever.
quote:

Go wring your hankie somewhere else. This is Hell.

No moisture in my hankie, sweetie. I'm calling y'all on your fauxtrage.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
He didn't accuse a nation. He told a stupid, private lie that snowballed into public. He did minor vandalism and impugned the character of non-existent thieves.

Seems to me that his lie is more or less equivalent to the guy who says he was mugged by three big black guys to cover up the fact that he lost his week's wages on the horses.

In the US or UK, muggers are big black guys. In Brazil, they're cops. Pick your stereotype.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
I'm calling y'all on your fauxtrage.

I'm calling you on your fauxvirtue signalling. Like Lochte, you could have said nothing, and no one would have noticed...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Who died and made you the ultimate arbiter of what does and should provoke outrage?
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
These complainers [about the hand-on-heart thing] are by and large the same people who said absolutely nothing when Donald Trump didn't put his hand on his heart during the Anthem at the Republican convention. Hard to think of anything other than racism that could explain this discrepancy.

Pole vaulter Sam Kendricks, who also serves in the US Army Reserve, slammed on the brakes in the middle of his run-up in order to stand to attention during the playing of the US national anthem. Everybody is busy saying what a great American he is and how patriotic and all the rest of it.

Where were his hands? By his sides, like Gabby's.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
]Seems to me that his lie is more or less equivalent to the guy who says he was mugged by three big black guys to cover up the fact that he lost his week's wages on the horses.

In the US or UK, muggers are big black guys. In Brazil, they're cops. Pick your stereotype.

Nope. He said the muggers were dressed as cops. That is a real thing, there is even an American serial killer who did this. Even an American Presidential candidate.

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

Who died and made you the ultimate arbiter of what does and should provoke outrage?
Never said I was. Didn't say you couldn't, not even that you shouldn't. But, I can't stop you from reading more into it than is there!

quote:
quote:

I'm calling you on your fauxvirtue signalling.
[Killing me] I've never made the claim to virtue. Thanks for the laugh, I'm happy I was not drinking anything when I read this.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016