homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home

This thread has been moved to Limbo.    
 - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Hell: Fausto (Page 2)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Fausto
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Damn. That's the elephant in the room with sexual swear words. They combine sex and violence. Male aggression. In my last work environment some men swore to the max, no women did. It was always an abuse of power.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by fausto:
Is that a speck of psychological projection in your eye? Here, let me help you remove it. [Biased]

Nice dodge. "I know you are but what am I?" or as it's called in Latin, tu quoque. Anything but man up.

Kelly, love your socks off.

Yorick, good to see you old chap.

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I wish you hadn't written those last three words.

Actually it makes the humor of the whole thing work.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Maybe you forgot that posting here is the equivalent of drawing a big, fat bull's eye on your chest? Or throat, or whatever.

I'm sorry, what makes you think I forgot that?

quote:
I hardly think that Martin's recently being nice to you disqualifies him from pointing out that your hellcall was excessive. Pretty much spot on, I'd say, but it's your shtick to deflect such criticism with louder complaints about your critics.
Don't knock it. It works.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
( regarding the sexual swearing tangent) That actually is interesting food for thought, but it would be better food for thought in Purgatory. Start a thread, NP&c, I'm sure the Purgatorians will hump it like MT's leg.

(The fact that people are using MT to reference Mother Teresa is making it a very confusing time on the Ship for me. Granted, it doesn't take much.)

[ Dayum. Talk about crosspost frenzy.]

[ 09. September 2016, 17:40: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
I hardly think that Martin's recently being nice to you disqualifies him from pointing out that your hellcall was excessive. Pretty much spot on, I'd say, but it's your shtick to deflect such criticism with louder complaints about your critics.

Don't knock it. It works.
[Killing me]

And why the hell are all of you horning in on a PERSONAL CONVERSATION between me and NP&canukistan? Are you all to selfish and impatient to accomodate my slow typing? Shame on you. Excuse me, FUCKING SHAME ON YOU ALL.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
If my own memory serves, I made that remark in response to Moo's sarcastically repeated request for published scholarship supporting a specific strawman premise -- that in particular preliterate or semiliterate cultures anthropological studies had affirmatively found oral history traditions to be inaccurate.

I wanted to know whether the cultures studied were modern illiterate cultures or ancient ones. There was a time when all ancient cultures were illiterate, even the ones which were very large and sophisticated. Gradually the concept of writing spread, but since it required special skills and equipment, most people continued with the old ways.

In modern times, all illiterate cultures are small and isolated. I don't believe that conclusions about small modern isolated cultures necessarily apply to large ancient cultures.

I have the impression that you believe everyone who disagrees with you is ignorant, stupid, in denial, or deliberately obstructive.

Moo

Moo, I have to apologize. My eyes were glazing over in fausto's reply to me, and I missed the bit where he put the words " facile and unenlightened" in the same sentance with your name. Boy, when this cat's wrong, he's wrong with a side of fries and a Coke.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
( regarding the sexual swearing tangent) That actually is interesting food for thought, but it would be better food for thought in Purgatory. Start a thread, NP&c, I'm sure the Purgatorians will hump it like MT's leg.

+1

(which means according to some younger folk who text me, great approval of the several aspects of the comment and kind regards, as far as I can tell).

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I'm totally right about the Purg crowd, aren't I? [Big Grin]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Dammit Kelly, you have to go and ruin a potentially good topic with that imagery. Now I shall feel filthy if I post on it. But not in a good way.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Really? But I was thinking of you! [Angel]

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You know,

I don't get to visit as often any more.
One of the things I love in getting to the 'get off my lawn*' phase of ship life is seeing the development in us old-timers as people. You can see maturation in thinking, softening in position, change and it is a joy. The ship is full of good people.

Oh, and of course, the reassuring unchanging same old shtick.

*You know, old, rocking chair etc.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kelly, how can MT be an abbreviation for mousethief? I mean is ETC used for et cetera? Hmmm? And yes I know N.B. can be used for nota bene, it's optional. Most Latin abbreviations of single words are lower case I think you'll find.

Talk of the devil. You sod.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

- Posted      Profile for fausto   Author's homepage   Email fausto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
Maybe, but I suspect some of it also lies in the fear that if the Gospels were anything less than 100% historical fact, that might cast an intolerable degree of doubt upon other faith propositions

I would be surprised if any of our regular contributors would hold such a simplistic opinion. We get the occasional visitor who does hold very simplistic views on the accuracy of Scripture, but they don't usually hang around for long when faced with the more nuanced and intelligent views of the majority of people here.
Perhaps it's foolish of me to return to this discussion after most of the steam has already been vented. You're probably right, too, that most shipmates don't take such a simplistic view. To be fair it's worth noting, though, that I did get a lot of stiff resistance from several others (although not you) when I tried to propose that the Gospels might be less than historically accurate, and that the early Church did not yet have a fixed oral tradition or strong safeguards to protect it from alteration until some length of time after the four (eventually) canonical Gospels were written.
Posts: 407 | From: Boston, Mass. | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

You strained at an Aramaic-Greek straw gnat fausto.

Everything else is a given.

--------------------
Love wins

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I suggest you might need to learn to discern the difference between stiff resistance to an idea, and stiff resistance to an idea posited without proof or evidence. The ship's discussion/argument spaces tend to be really big on not just making claims, but having backing for them.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I suggest you might need to learn to discern the difference between stiff resistance to an idea, and stiff resistance to an idea posited without proof or evidence. The ship's discussion/argument spaces tend to be really big on not just making claims, but having backing for them.

At the risk of sounding too Pollyanna (or Rodney King "can't we all just get along?") for the sulfur zone, I think you both were too quick on the draw here.

Fausto made claims w/o having sufficient documentation to back them up (he did have evidence-- from Ehrman's speeches-- just not documentation). But this is the Ship, not an academic conference. We have to have some leeway to discuss topics without a trip to the library to check out a book, find the exact page and provide a specific quote. This is casual conversation, and in casual conversation you're not going to defend your theses with the same precision. The question was appropriate, but I think a hell-call was an overreaction.

otoh, my friend Fausto certainly added gasoline to the fire by jumping to unwarranted assumptions about the motives of those who questioned his claims. He jumped to conclusions that more regular shipmates know just don't fit, and sounded just a wee bit patronizing in his delivery. In so doing he added to the impression that he makes quick, overblown claims without really doing his homework. From our RL conversations I know that's not really fausto, but I can't deny that's the picture that's conveyed when he follows legit questions about his sources with an inaccurate presumption about his questioners.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Damn. That's the elephant in the room with sexual swear words. They combine sex and violence. Male aggression. In my last work environment some men swore to the max, no women did. It was always an abuse of power.

Years ago, when I worked with the Heavy Mob all my colleagues, male and female, swore like troopers. I'd left by the time that 'The Thick Of It' came on the telly but I think their collective attitude to Malcolm Tucker would have been 'not bad for a beginner'. In any event, one of my colleagues, one day, had had an unproductive conversation with a colleague in another department and when, I ambled into the office after lunch, was going at it with a vehemence that would have made the aforementioned Spin Doctor kneel at his feet with the words: "I have much to learn, master, teach me". After a few more minutes of profanity, he twigged that I had returned to my desk and apologised profusely: "Callan, I know that you're a religious man* and if I had known you were there, I would have moderated my language" (All of this in a Glaswegian accent) "But the guy is such a... fucking cunt!"

The poor man was genuinely bewildered when the whole office, male and female, were immediately convulsed with laughter.

*He never showed an reluctance to swear in my presence, usually, but this was a particularly spectacular display of profanity, so perhaps he might have felt that he had crossed a threshold of some sort.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Kelly, how can MT be an abbreviation for mousethief? I mean is ETC used for et cetera? Hmmm? And yes I know N.B. can be used for nota bene, it's optional. Most Latin abbreviations of single words are lower case I think you'll find.

Is "Martin60" the designation printed on your pills? Perhaps get some Martin120s or Martin600s.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
At the risk of sounding too Pollyanna (or Rodney King "can't we all just get along?") for the sulfur zone, I think you both were too quick on the draw here.

You say this, but then much of the rest of your post refutes it.

I did not read that much of the thread in question, tl;dc, but from what I did the call was warranted.
When you question or confront other people's beliefs and haven't even read the material you are using to do so. And then have the effrontery to suggest they should, you deserve a Hell call.
And he baited mt. Whilst that is not a crime, it is an invitation.

You might know he is not as portrayed here, but that is irrelevant if his own words accuse him otherwise.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At the risk of being the target for everyone's opprobrium: this.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:

There's a solution for threads you're not interested in or feel are overblown. I think you know what it is.

ETA:

quote:
The question was appropriate, but I think a hell-call was an overreaction.

Sure, but that's not what elicited the hell call.

[ 10. September 2016, 17:24: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

- Posted      Profile for fausto   Author's homepage   Email fausto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Opprobrium? It's hard to take anything here seriously or personally when everyone comes to the party armed with grenades and flamethrowers, eagerly hoping for any excuse to use them, rather than hoping to actually resolve misunderstandings. It's no more serious than grade-school kids having a cursing contest. Your picture just describes the mood.

--------------------
"Truth did not come into the world naked, but it came in types and images. The world will not receive truth in any other way." Gospel of Philip, Logion 72

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
quote:

Opprobrium? It's hard to take anything here seriously or personally when everyone comes to the party armed with grenades and flamethrowers, eagerly hoping for any excuse to use them, rather than hoping to actually resolve misunderstandings. It's no more serious than grade-school kids having a cursing contest. Your picture just describes the mood.
Cute. I had been giving you a little benefit of doubt because I respect cliffdweller, but this kind of passive-aggressive rubbish tends to make me want to rethink that.
You tweaked mt's nose* on purpose or you are a clueless fool.

*Granted, mt is a tad offence-sensitive.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
Maybe, but I suspect some of it also lies in the fear that if the Gospels were anything less than 100% historical fact, that might cast an intolerable degree of doubt upon other faith propositions

I would be surprised if any of our regular contributors would hold such a simplistic opinion. We get the occasional visitor who does hold very simplistic views on the accuracy of Scripture, but they don't usually hang around for long when faced with the more nuanced and intelligent views of the majority of people here.
Perhaps it's foolish of me to return to this discussion after most of the steam has already been vented. You're probably right, too, that most shipmates don't take such a simplistic view. To be fair it's worth noting, though, that I did get a lot of stiff resistance from several others (although not you) when I tried to propose that the Gospels might be less than historically accurate, and that the early Church did not yet have a fixed oral tradition or strong safeguards to protect it from alteration until some length of time after the four (eventually) canonical Gospels were written.
It's kind of like bouncing into a conference of gourmet chefs and announcing, " Guess what? There are other foods besides cheeseburgers!"

I think you are mistaking a collective " duh!" for resistance.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:

If you start accusing MT of being latin- leaning, there's gonna be a huge throwdown, dude. Not since the fourth century.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

*Granted, mt is a tad offence-sensitive.

WHAT'S THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN??!?!?!?!

But seriously, clearly I'm not the only one to feel that fausto is a pretentious, self-righteous tit. As witness the many other complainants on this thread. This was a hell thread just waiting to be made. SOMEbody has to be thin-skinned enough to get these things off the ground, or things will just go on getting tense and ugly on the original thread. It is the purpose of Hell to avoid just that. I am a hero, dammit. Worship me.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
If you start accusing MT of being latin- leaning, there's gonna be a huge throwdown, dude. Not since the fourth century.

Although if a Hispanic lady of good repute had thrown herself at me before I met Josephine, I might have easily tilted Latin. Tilted 90° even. [Biased]

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
[qb] Perhaps it's foolish of me to return to this discussion after most of the steam has already been vented. You're probably right, too, that most shipmates don't take such a simplistic view. To be fair it's worth noting, though, that I did get a lot of stiff resistance from several others (although not you) when I tried to propose that the Gospels might be less than historically accurate, and that the early Church did not yet have a fixed oral tradition or strong safeguards to protect it from alteration until some length of time after the four (eventually) canonical Gospels were written.

It's kind of like bouncing into a conference of gourmet chefs and announcing, " Guess what? There are other foods besides cheeseburgers!"

This. (Sorry, fausto buddy, but, yeah. You were thinking Beliefnet. This ain't no Beliefnet.)

[ 10. September 2016, 19:06: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Oh, HELL no.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now, now. The management frown on Board Wars.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

Yeah, but they are owned by Fox! Excuse me now whilst I go wash the fingers that typed that word.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A note to all the fuckers asking if this issue warranted a Hell Call: the only criterion for a Hell Call is that the Caller is pissed off at the Callee. Whether you think it's justified is beside the bastard point.

Tell him you think he's overreacting by all means, but for the love of Zeus stop saying this thread shouldn't exist.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
A note to all the fuckers asking if this issue warranted a Hell Call: the only criterion for a Hell Call is that the Caller is pissed off at the Callee. Whether you think it's justified is beside the bastard point.

Tell him you think he's overreacting by all means, but for the love of Zeus stop saying this thread shouldn't exist.

I believe "overreaction" was the precise word I used. I don't believe anyone has said this thread shouldn't exist.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can I say it? Huh? Can I? Can I?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Go ahead, orf. Someone opining something should't exist doesn't make it disappear in a puff of smoke.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No. Only hosts and admins can do that... [Devil]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Yes, but if the existance of the thread annoys people, that is fufilling a Hellish purpose, is it not? [Smile]

I for one think turning a perfectly good bun fight into a boring ass,rules- lawyering navel gazing, pitiful excuse for an erzatz Styx thread makes it excruciating, but of course some people are gonna see the point of a Hell call and some are not. That's why it's called a " discussion,"

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

Yeah, but they are owned by Fox! Excuse me now whilst I go wash the fingers that typed that word.
Who said anything about a Board War, anyway? There's nothing to frown at, Barney Fife. Put the squirt gun away.

We're just shit- talking them behind their backs, like good little Christians do.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I think the prigs who sit on the sidelines of a Hell call and hold up cards saying "3.7" and "4.2" like 1970s' Olympic judges need to explain for us what their exacting requirements are. What does it have to have to be your model Hell thread? Or indeed deemed worthy in your exalted opinion to be a Hell thread at all? Clearly you have some set of criteria over and above what the actual Ship's rules, guidelines, and commandments specify. What are those exalted criteria? Puke -- sorry, cough -- up your personal self-righteous measuring stick.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Why validate the scores by caring, MT? Like you said, opinion doesn't trump the rules, guidelines, etc. And according to the old saying, opinions are like assholes, everyones's got one.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Mostly to be a shit, and tempt self-righteous fuckwits into calling me names. But I'm also mildly interested in what opinions these assholes have.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

(Will you get such refreshing honesty from these smug hypocrites?)

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
But I'm also mildly interested in what opinions these assholes have.

Whatever opinions the assholes have, they still stink of shit.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I'm trying to figure out who exactly the assholes are. Pretty much everybody conceded the usefulness of the Hell call by the middle of page 1. Martin keeps yanking MT's chain, just to giggle at the reaction, cliffdweller is fair but loyal, and lilbuddha made a passing remark about oversensitivity. The clamor for thread closure... Isn't happening. As far as I can see.

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hear you Orfeo.
[Pats him on the shoulder and gives a tissue.]
I heard your little clamour mate. You matter. Don't you listen to Kel.

But to be fair, his post was a piss take as well.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
quote:

Is "Martin60" the designation printed on your pills? Perhaps get some Martin120s or Martin600s.
I won't take the meds. They blunt my edge with clarity.

--------------------
Love wins

fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

quote:
this kind of passive-aggressive rubbish tends to make me want to rethink that.

Yeah, I think I'm getting the hang of the hell-game now. Thanks for the fine example.

--------------------
"Truth did not come into the world naked, but it came in types and images. The world will not receive truth in any other way." Gospel of Philip, Logion 72

fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

quote:
quote:

This. (Sorry, fausto buddy, but, yeah. You were thinking Beliefnet. This ain't no Beliefnet.)
Thanks, you two. That's the first constructive criticism on this thread that actually makes sense to me. (Which makes me wonder whether it really belongs in hell, though.)

Some of the pushback I was getting on the other thread archly defending the historical accuracy of the Gospels didn't taste much like gourmet food or sound like a collective "duh", though. It sure tasted like cheeseburgers to me.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Thanks, you two. That's the first constructive criticism on this thread that actually makes sense to me.
Really? Alan, Doc and Moo were clear and relatively polite about outlining where they felt you went wrong. If they did not make sense as well, then perhaps you are not as bright as you think you are. I can understand your unwillingness to concede to your challenger, mt. Or to someone as confrontational as I, but if you cannot listen to criticism without an accompanying pat on the head, then your maturity is in question as well.
quote:

(Which makes me wonder whether it really belongs in hell, though.)

Hell is for getting personal. Whether nice or nasty is irrelevant.

You received pushback for reasons outlined in the thread so far and because of your presentation. When you are even more stubborn than I about conceding that you were got it wrong, you have a problem.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:
this kind of passive-aggressive rubbish tends to make me want to rethink that.

Yeah, I think I'm getting the hang of the hell-game now. Thanks for the fine example.
Well you have to admit he sure has the hang of passive-aggression. And passive-aggression in response to an accusation of passive-aggression is a remarkable, if probably accidental, example of "meta".

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016