homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Clocks (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Clocks
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grumble grumble...do we have to do this every year...grumble grumble...dark nights...grumble grumble...dark mornings...grumble grumble etc.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, Praise Jesus, finally an original thread idea.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unless you propose altering the axial tilt of the planet, those of us at more extreme latitudes will always have a season when the sun sets early and rises late (and, conversely, a season when it sets late and rises early). If you don't like dark nights and mornings in the winter, join the birds and head south (or north for our southern hemisphere friends).

Shifting the clocks around by an hour does nothing to change the amount of time the sun is above the horizon.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've got one more week to go. This Brit site had me in a panic that somehow I was going to be late? early? to church. Phooey! Back to bed!

[ 30. October 2016, 12:04: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree - leave the clocks ALONE!!

[Mad]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, bloody clocks [Mad]
Controlling our lives like they do. Why not have a rant.

Hard to imagine when people weren't governed by numbers and dials, even Sun dials. Be a job to put them back an hour.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

Yes, I don't think we've had one of these before.

We get an extra hour in bed and people are complaining. There will be daylight tomorrow morning when I leave for work. [Yipee]

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seriously, if you don't like dark mornings, get up an hour later. That's it. That's the only thing you can do. Otherwise, you're just a whiny mcwhineface.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Seriously, if you don't like dark mornings, get up an hour later. That's it. That's the only thing you can do. Otherwise, you're just a whiny mcwhineface.

That would be a whiny mcwhineface with a job that they're required to be at by a certain time, probably, but don't let that stop you expressing yourself. [Angel]

[ 30. October 2016, 12:48: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But it doesn't need to be that way. The job can just say, "we'll open the office an hour later".

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Move to Arizona.
[Razz]

(O.K., our politics are batshit crazy, but there's always a trade-off.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
The job can just say, "we'll open the office an hour later".

Good point. The only problem with that is that you'd probably have to stay an hour later and go home when it's dark, and with all these killer clowns on the loose, no responsible company is going to take the risk of endangering its staff.

Alternatively, people could attempt to work much faster during the limited hours of daylight so as to cram in the entire day's work into the shorter hours of winter daylight. Obviously, you'd be expected to work much more slowly in the summer.

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But it doesn't need to be that way. The job can just say, "we'll open the office an hour later".

And if I were in charge that's exactly what would happen, but as I'm not, I enjoy going back to getting up at a reasonable hour every fall and curse Congress every March for screwing up my sleep pattern.

Must be nice being in charge of your own working hours, but many people aren't. Ger a fucking clue.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well, usually it's people whining about it going the other way, so Totally Different.

Can we start complaining about Christmas yet?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:

Not until December 1st.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Ger a fucking clue.

I've got the t-shirt that goes with it. I'm north enough that I've gone to work in the dark and come home in the dark, because there isn't enough daylight in the day. No amount of clock shifting can fix that.

I can, however, enjoy my mousethief coolers on the patio up till around 11pm in summer. Swings and roundabouts. If I wanted consistency, I'd live on the equator.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[Big Grin]

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I agree - leave the clocks ALONE!!

[Mad]

Ooo, a bright spot in the thread. Now I have Pink Floyd running through my head.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We don't need no stuuupid clock changes ...
We don't need no clock control ....
Hey, mister, leave those clocks alooooane ..
All in you're just another prick in the hall ...

Hey, mister - leave our clocks ALONE!

(please)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice one Boogie [Smile]

5.45pm and pitch dark. This old Globe we've been given with it's tilted Axis malarkey, it just ain't right.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Greenwich Mean Time isn't messing around with our clocks. British Summer time is.

We can't change the numbers of hours of daylight. The further North you go, the less daylight you get in the winter, the more in the summer. All we can change is which time those hours are centred around. Here in Norfolk we get about 7.5 hours of daylight on December 21. In the Orkneys it's about 6.5 hours.

Under GMT in Norfolk on 21 December the sun rises at 8.15, sets at 3.45. For BST, add an hour on to each time.

Under GMT in Orkney on 21 December the sun rises at 8.45, sets at 3.15. For BST add an hour on to each time.

And you can work out your own patterns. Some parts of the UK may be better off keeping BST, others aren't. Arguments about school start and finish times, peak traffic times, start and finish work times are pretty useless. What the effects are just depends on where you live.

Personally I don't mind a government decision to move permanently to GMT+1 for the whole of the UK. But I think we should listen to the voices of the most inconvenienced and recognise that whatever happens is a question of balancing advantages and disadvantages.

We can't get round the 23 degree tilt in the earth's orbit.

[ 30. October 2016, 17:59: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

Arguments about school start and finish times, peak traffic times, start and finish work times are pretty useless. What the effects are just depends on where you live.

But those are the arguments. And you're right, of course, that they change depending on where you live, but schools only work in their current form if everyone goes at the same time, and everyone expects shops and businesses to be open during "normal" working hours.

The single question is where to place the "normal working hours" in relation to the period of daylight.

(My preference is for a customary time system that places the "normal waking time" at dawn, and counts on from there. You might have a different preference.)

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
We can't get round the 23 degree tilt in the earth's orbit.

No but we can quit fucking with the clock twice a year. It's hard on people. It serves no offsetting purpose. It's outlived its usefulness, if it ever had any. It's time it went the way of the victory garden and the war bond drive.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Move to Arizona.
[Razz]

True outside the corner of Arizona that belongs to the Navajo who do observe Daylight Savings Time. But you can opt out of Daylight Savings in the Hopi Res. "doughnut hole" in the middle of the Navajo Res. Confused now?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Ger a fucking clue.

I've got the t-shirt that goes with it.
If you really think there are a lot of workplaces where they can just change the open/close times by an hour twice a year, you don't.

quote:
I'm north enough that I've gone to work in the dark and come home in the dark, because there isn't enough daylight in the day. No amount of clock shifting can fix that.
Bully for you. I live far enough south that there's enough daylight in the fall and spring for me to go to work and come home in daylight -- but I don't get to do that because the March time change comes too early and the November time change comes too late.

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
No but we can quit fucking with the clock twice a year. It's hard on people. It serves no offsetting purpose. It's outlived its usefulness, if it ever had any. It's time it went the way of the victory garden and the war bond drive.

Could not agree more, but the barbecue and patio furniture industries have way more pull than you and me, so I'm not holding my breath.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

My personal preference is just to keep GMT all year round. Nothing is ever going to suit everybody anyway.

quote:
It's time it went the way of the victory garden and the war bond drive.

I'm assuming a victory garden is the same as an allotment - lots of people have those here and the waiting lists are months long, sometimes years long.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
My personal preference is just to keep GMT all year round. Nothing is ever going to suit everybody anyway.

Which is just the same as shifting the time zone one notch east.*

quote:
quote:
It's time it went the way of the victory garden and the war bond drive.

I'm assuming a victory garden is the same as an allotment - lots of people have those here and the waiting lists are months long, sometimes years long.
It was a thing during WW1 (and maybe WW2) where people grew veg for the war effort.

[ 30. October 2016, 19:25: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
quote:
quote:
Ger a fucking clue.

I've got the t-shirt that goes with it.
If you really think there are a lot of workplaces where they can just change the open/close times by an hour twice a year, you don't.
They choose not to. There's nothing stopping them. The Time Police aren't going to come around and tap their watches menacingly at the owners.

The whole country goes postal every time it get mentioned. "Oh," says the South, "it'd be lovely if we had more daylight." "Get to fuck," says the rest of the country, "It doesn't work like that."

I'm all for picking a time zone and sticking with it, but I'd like to point out when I flew from Chicago to Indianapolis, literally north to south, I had to change my watch yet again.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heck, if I lived in California I'd agree with Ruth. Daylight length varies from 10 hours to 14 hours only. Doesn't matter whether you centre that time around noon or 1300.

But these things can get funny and complicated. Apparently there are places in Indiana where some counties observe Central Standard Time, others Eastern Standard time. There was also a Daylight Savings debate. Factors which led to great confusion for Josh, Toby and Donna in "20 hours in America" (West Wing Season 4).

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
They choose not to. There's nothing stopping them. The Time Police aren't going to come around and tap their watches menacingly at the owners.

Except they have to do business with all the other businesses, and unless they all switch together, it's going to fuck up their operations. So it's not as easy as you wish to portray it.

quote:
I'm all for picking a time zone and sticking with it, but I'd like to point out when I flew from Chicago to Indianapolis, literally north to south, I had to change my watch yet again.
Aw, do time zone boundaries not run north-south? [Waterworks]

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you need to alter the times when people do things in relation to the sun, then changing the clocks is an easy way to do it without requiring (e.g.) all the transport utilities to reprint all their timetables to reflect the alteration.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Except they have to do business with all the other businesses, and unless they all switch together, it's going to fuck up their operations. So it's not as easy as you wish to portray it.

I'm not portraying it as easy. I'm portraying it as possible.

quote:
Mostly, yes. Because that's the way the world works. Except in Indiana, apparently.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:
Mostly, yes. Because that's the way the world works. Except in Indiana, apparently.
And you can think of no reason, none whatsoever, why they might make an exception there?

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
quote:
quote:
And you can think of no reason, none whatsoever, why they might make an exception there?
I did ask. They just rolled their eyes and muttered about how they needed a new State governor.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Move to Arizona.
[Razz]

Move to Saskatchewan. Our politics are historically socialist, which is probably crazy according to the Arizonians. It's the winters which are crazy, which is of course why we are socialist - snuggling together to stay warm.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

It has to do in part with keeping Chicago's Indiana suburbs in the same time zone as Chicago, to make it easier for commuters. Not a good reason, perhaps, but it is a reason.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

But you didn't fly literally north to south. You flew southeast. Indianapolis is about 75 miles east of Chicago.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:

Not until December 1st.
I saw an ad on television yesterday for ordering Christmas trees from a farm. Some shops have had Christmas merchandise available since August. Whine, whine.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
quote:

But you didn't fly literally north to south. You flew southeast. Indianapolis is about 75 miles east of Chicago.
I was thinking that didn't sound quite right, but was too lazy to check a map.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I did ask. They just rolled their eyes and muttered about how they needed a new State governor.

Indiana does need a new Governor, but PLEASE not by having him become Vice President.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

quote:
quote:

I'm not portraying it as easy. I'm portraying it as possible.
Not possible for all the businesses too small to dictate terms to other businesses. Not possible for all the businesses that have to open at certain hours in order to maximize custom and profit. And certainly not possible for employees whose hours are determined by other people. I can't announce to my boss that I'm going to show up at 9 am after the time change in March simply because it doesn't suit me to get up an hour early.
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pigwidgeon--

quote:
quote:

Indiana does need a new Governor, but PLEASE not by having him become Vice President.
We'd be happy to send you Arnold S. We're not using him anymore.
[Biased]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is fairly obvious that humans in higher latitudes have to migrate in the winter season. Perhaps every village, town, city should have a sister village, town, city in a more hospitable clime. The population of Glasgow could move to its sister city Havana.

I did check where the equivalent location in the southern hemisphere (at least in latitude) would be, but, I doubt Tierra del Fuego would appeal.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

It's freaking freezing! You want something closer to the equator, not an equal latitude length away!

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

Global warming will fix that.
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's freaking freezing! You want something closer to the equator, not an equal latitude length away!

I was thinking summer to summer. But 55 South is freezing everywhere even though plenty of sunlight in the summer (Glasgow should thank the Gulf Stream). While checking on sister/twin cities I get a feeling that some places overdo it. I mean I thought my town was overdoing it with 6 but Glasgow has 8 (and Havana has apparently 28 [including Mobile, Alabama]).

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just checked - 55 south passes through the very southern tip of Sth America, and then some minor islets. A maritime latitude.

Glasgow is lucky to have the Gulf Stream to keep it as warm as it is - even with that, the climate's pretty awful.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Glasgow is lucky to have the Gulf Stream to keep it as warm as it is - even with that, the climate's pretty awful.

Well, thank you for your kind assessment of the climate here. We have summers which rarely get to stupid hot temperatures. We have winters that rarely get stupidly cold. We have mountains with cascading waterfalls and lochs, and snow in the winter. We have some storms, but rarely anything that causes damage. We don't have to worry about water shortages or wondering if it's ethically acceptable to water the lawn to keep it green.

You should come and visit. There are some good pubs where there is a very special climate reserved just for pompous asses who want to declare how awful the place is. You might be fortunate enough not to be greeted with a Glasgow kiss.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:
Glasgow (a.k.a The Dear Green Place) has rain, lots and lots of rain, but it makes everything green and lush! Swings and roundabouts.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by Alan Cresswell:-

You might be fortunate enough not to be greeted with a Glasgow kiss.

Which is?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016