homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Use a freaking rake! People who use mass quality of life weapons of mass destruction

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Use a freaking rake! People who use mass quality of life weapons of mass destruction
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I nominate leaf blowers.

Soul destroying psycho arsenal of power tools to clean up leaves and whispy little skiffs of snow. Who invented these soul destroying disrupters of peace and quiet? Nature reverses what you're doing so quickly, and then you're out again with your hair dryer of satan.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back in the days of TICTH I bitched about leaf blowers. Here was my story- - I began hating leaf blowers back in the nineties, when I caught a nap on one of my preschool sub gigs.

Fun fact-- Most preschool teachers nap on their breaks. BECAUSE THEY FUCKING NEED TO. YOU HAVE NO IDEA.

Anyway, I went outside on my break and holed up in my car to take a nap, and the second my eyes started closing, a fucking leaf blower started up on the lawn next to me.

I tried to be patient, to respect someone's profession, a fellow thankless blue collar service industry person. I patiently started my car and drove a block or two up. Settled in to nap again. Eyes began to close. ANOTHER FUCKING LEAG BLOWER STARTED UP. FML.

Honest to God, this was the moment I began worrying that God really hates me.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I never use either. There's always a big wind that comes at about this time of year, and deposits them on someone else's lawn.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I never use either. There's always a big wind that comes at about this time of year, and deposits them on someone else's lawn.

How do you avoid having someone else's leaves upwind deposited on your own lawn?

Unless you have no lawn ... [Paranoid]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
quote:

How do you avoid having someone else's leaves upwind deposited on your own lawn?

I don't know how it works. But I always come out ahead.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

That's easy. Mousethief's upwind neighbors have leaf blowers.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More likely, Mousethief's upwind neighbours use rakes, rake the leaves into a pile, and put them in a bin or compost pile, so that they can't blow about any more. I have never seen a single person using a leaf blower for anything so remotely sensible as gathering leaves so as to dispose of them. Honestly, if you just blow them into the gutter, it's patently obvious they will be back out again in ten minutes' time, mingling with the newly fallen ones.

They are indeed a tool of the devil.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:
it's patently obvious they will be back out again in ten minutes' time, mingling with the newly fallen ones.

[/QB]

Or block the drains
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The gardeners here use them to blow the leaves into piles against the trees, and then bag them up for removal.

Or they did until this morning, when the rain will make it impossible.

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
being in the position of having both a lawn, and multiple beech trees, I will admit to having one (which I inherited from my grandfather). I clear them every fortnight for about 6 weeks, then it's over for another year. Otherwise the lawn vanishes under about 2 feet of leaves and the grass dies.

However, I've never used it in "blow" mode because, as has been posted, that strikes me an an exercise in futility. I use it in "suck" mode, where they get shredded on the way through and go into a bag. Then they get variously binned, burned, or composted.

I could rake them and bag them by hand, but when you live by yourself and you've got the cooking, washing, cleaning, shopping, etc to do *as well* then something's got to give.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Same here, but the rain might stick the leaves down, so that they stay in place...

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've inherited an electric rake.

It's brilliant.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the rain?
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
I've inherited an electric rake.

It's brilliant.

You're just playing with us, aren't you? WTF is an electric rake.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2 seconds on google... [Disappointed]

Like this

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You may be in actuality the nicest neighbour, but that is not what you will be remembered for.

I am sorry that they banned and made illegal lawn darts. Dreaming of explosive tips I am so.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a rake for hard to reach places. Anything on the lawn gets hit with the lawn mower, sans bag. The small shreds that are left aren't big enough to smother the grass, and are there to feed the beneficial worms and microbes in the spring. Unless you have so many trees that this won't work, don't take perfectly good carbon and dump it in the trash.

I don't have the greenest lawn on the block, but it's green enough, even though it hasn't been touched by chemicals in the four years I've been working with it.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don;t touch them, but somehow by spring they ahve disappeared
[Big Grin]

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As long as we are bitching about fall leaf problems...

The city just took our dumpster away and gave everyone one trash bin for a week's worth of trash. Put it out on Monday night, bring it back in Tuesday night. Each bin has your address written on it for easy identification.

Last night, I went out to bring in my bin, and it was gone. I called some neighbors to see if they had grabbed it by accident, nothing.

This afternoon, I walked down the alley to see if I could find it. Sure enough, there it was a few doors down, filled to the brim with fall leaves.

So that asshole now has a trash bin shaped pile of leaves behind his house, and I got my bin back.

Not the day to piss me off...

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

It isn't legal to put leaves in the trash bin here. It shouldn't be legal to have water sucking lawns.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

They provide free paper lawn bags and free leaf drop off here, and the city composts it all. But just because they make it easy to do the right thing, it doesn't mean people won't still be slobs.

There are a few plastic bags full of leaves near where I found my can. Maybe I'll grab them to mulch my garden beds.

[ 10. November 2016, 03:41: Message edited by: Og, King of Bashan ]

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
I nominate leaf blowers.

Soul destroying psycho arsenal of power tools to clean up leaves and whispy little skiffs of snow. Who invented these soul destroying disrupters of peace and quiet? Nature reverses what you're doing so quickly, and then you're out again with your hair dryer of satan.

Where I live, they should use a broom, but yeah, I am SO. With. You!

Every Saturday, someone shows up at my apartment building and uses a leaf blower to blow the dust around in the small, completely paved courtyard. The noise in the narrow courtyard is unbelievable, and it's completely unnecessary. We don't even have trees! We have cacti and bushes out front, and pots in plants in the courtyard, and they could sweep the place out in the time it takes for them to blow things, and it would actually accomplish something other than blowing the dust around. My only consolation is being on the second floor, so they're not right outside the windows that look out onto the courtyard.

And it's always Saturday. Can't be on a weekday when more residents would be at work. Has to be Saturday. [Mad]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

My mother had a hypothesis about men and hoses - possibly it extends to leaf blowing?
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my vicinity we get men in protective jackets with ear muffs wandering around with leaf blowers, sending a growing pile of leaves in the direction of a tiny van with an enormous hose that vacuums the leaves up.

I hate this. All those beautiful, colourful leaves falling negligently and gracefully wherever they please, just sucked up like so much rubbish, leaving the grass underneath a pristine green for about the next three minutes.

If you're going to do it, do it properly. Vacuum the bloody trees.

[ 10. November 2016, 17:38: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

If you're going to do it, do it properly. Vacuum the bloody trees.

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I assume that No Prophet etc cuts his lawns with scissors.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't know how it works. But I always come out ahead.
Whereas I've discovered I live at the end of a "natural" wind tunnel.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016