homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » I Will Not Obey (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: I Will Not Obey
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to remind myself that it isn't only the right wing that gets all smug and sneery, that I do know of people who behave in similar ways on the left. But I also know that I don't find them being so in your face in the world at large.

And I hope that the grown-ups soon put a stop to the lunatic young males who have convinced me that the Neanderthals died out because they were too nice, and the DNA mixing involved modern women finding the older variety more rational.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In general the jerks on the left shoot fewer people, spraypaint fewer threatening symbols and words on homes, and torch fewer black churches. At least that's what I've noticed.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
ISTM that all the “why Clinton lost” commentaries are avoiding stating the most blindingly obvious fact of all.

She lost because she’s a woman.

I don't understand why that would be the reason.

The Americans might have been happy to vote for a woman, but Hillary just wasn't an engaging candidate. It's unfortunate, because a more appealing Democrat, male or female, would surely have had a good chance of beating someone like Trump.

Ironically, it's thanks to Brexit that we in the backward-looking UK now have our second woman prime minister. I haven't heard any Ukippers or other Brexiters complaining that Theresa May isn't a man!

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
A friend of a friend, a writer, relies (like so many people in the arts) solely upon Obamacare to keep her alive. She committed suicide yesterday.

That would have to be considered a profound failure of the program, would it not?
You are beneath contempt.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
romanlion--

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
romanlion I hope you get the psychological help you so obviously and desperately need.

But, in prelude: every time you have a pithy insult to sling, look in a mirror and say it about the person you see there.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
In general the jerks on the left shoot fewer people, spraypaint fewer threatening symbols and words on homes, and torch fewer black churches. At least that's what I've noticed.

Thanks - I can now go back into default mode and forget a certain council who diss their electorate for being too middle class (when they have day jobs like running academies and PR businesses themselves).
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
quote:

Thanks - I can now go back into default mode and forget a certain council who diss their electorate for being too middle class (when they have day jobs like running academies and PR businesses themselves).
Huh? What does this have to do with what I said?

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

They are the bunch of left wing jerks I use to remind myself that the left can do it too. Only, as you point out, not usually so nastily. Of course, when they have the power to remove local services, it can be destructive, but in a politer way.
Alternatively, I can remember the LWJs who were beastly to a woman who saw badgers in a
South London wood.
But they don't really stomp all over the internet crowing that everyone who disagrees with them should shut up because of that special election magic that means that fewer votes have the mandate and they can do what they like to shut the majority up.
So you are right, which is what I meant really. I'm not arguing clearly at the moment.

[ 11. November 2016, 14:52: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LWJs?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Left Wing Jerks

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems as if protests against trump will soon fizzle out. The stormtroopers are getting impatient.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
anne
Shipmate
# 73

- Posted      Profile for anne   Email anne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As part of our Remembrance commemorations in the local secondary School today I set up a prayer station. It included a chance for children to write down the name of someone that they wanted to remember, or a place that they would pray for peace. I've done the same sort of thing many times over the years, inviting prayers for peace, but today there were prayers I had never seen before.

"I pray for peace in America", written unprompted by different children, one of whom said to me "I think there's going to be a war Miss, in America"

If 13 year olds in our rural backwater in the UK are scared, how does a Muslim or Hispanic or gay thirteen year old feel living in a rural backwater in the USA?

anne

--------------------
‘I would have given the Church my head, my hand, my heart. She would not have them. She did not know what to do with them. She told me to go back and do crochet' Florence Nightingale

Posts: 338 | From: Devon | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How indeed?

But bless your kids, anne, for being so sensitive.

[Overused]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
It seems as if protests against trump will soon fizzle out.

Until January 20th.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On Jan. 21 there is going to be a march of women on Washington DC. I live in commuting distance, and can offer crash space to anyone who wants to go. My college roommate and I plan to go down.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
(B)less your kids, anne, for being so sensitive.

Amen.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A long and sad roundup of terrifying occurrences since Tuesday.

The rush to women's clinics to get health care and birth control before it is curtailed.

This is getting scary.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
(B)less your kids, anne, for being so sensitive.

Amen.
Very much Amen.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

Until January 20th.
There are going to be plenty of protests against Trump. Some from those opposed to Trump but at least as many from those who supported his campaign but feel let down when he doesn't deliver.
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

The fucking rioting needs to end. The violent lose license to complain about violence.

--------------------

Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The fucking rioting needs to end. The violent lose license to complain about violence.

Hell to the yes...

--------------------

Posts: 2405 | From: Aotearoa/New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Here is a more nuanced protest. It's behind the Times paywall, but the money quote:

" ...it is impossible for me to fall in line behind an unrepentant bigot. It will be impossible for me to view this man participating in the pageantry and protocols of the presidency and not be reminded of how he is a demonstrated demagogue who is also a sexist, a racist, a xenophobe and a bully.

That is not a person worthy of applause. That is a person who must be placed under unrelenting pressure. Power must be challenged, constantly. That begins today."

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Good point from a priest friend of mine: If the GOP is sincere about this "give Trump a chance" message, let them approve President Obama's SCOTUS candidate.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lost in all this is the fact that 35 people, First Nations, were arrested in North Dakota. They should have changed their names to Bundy, and the cops would have been ferrying chocolate bars and fresh water.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This is getting scary.

There *might* be a legal remedy.

Here's a link to my just-now post in Purg, which discusses a petition that millions of people have signed.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Lost in all this is the fact that 35 people, First Nations, were arrested in North Dakota. They should have changed their names to Bundy, and the cops would have been ferrying chocolate bars and fresh water.

Can you elaborate on this and possibly post one or more lynx, please? Many thanks.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Not lost at all Pete, most of my FB friends are furious about this. And I totally agree about the Bundy part. It's just unconscionable.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Lynx please? Coz I dunno what's going on there really. Kthxbai.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This and probably this. The assertion being that police treat you differently depending on what colour/ethnicity you are.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Auugh. On a non link friendly device Gimme a sec.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Ok, Here's the Bundy stuff...

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

... And here's the Dakota info. Basically, all the action from both links happened within a couple weeks of each other. The hypocracy is despicable.
( Sorry for the multiple posts, but my browser has this glitch where it eats my reply box every time I switch tabs.)

[ 12. November 2016, 07:22: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
This and probably this. The assertion being that police treat you differently depending on what colour/ethnicity you are.

[Killing me] Smartypants. Anyway, what he said.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Thanks, Kelly!

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

And thanks, Eutychus.

Sadness!

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:

[Killing me] Smartypants. Anyway, what he said.
Sorry to have ninja'd you.

I followed the Malheur standoff from about day one. I couldn't believe the acquittal, although prosecutors ought to get their charges correct right from the outset (and AIUI the Bundys are still in jail over similarly serious charges relating to their ranch).

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:

In the Dakota case, there's also the additional factor of interfering with big business, AKA big oil. I think they're right to try to get the pipe line redirected, FWIW. But big corporations have pulled this kind of crap on indigenous people in Latin America. Rummaging in my mental attic, ISTM that the tribes usually had to use violence to get the corporations to back off. And even that didn't always work.

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Until January 20th.
Guessing it won't be long before that big red tie gets waved at some place like, say... Iran? A little foreign war usually works wonders.

Anyone else notice military jets roaring around on Wednesday in U.K.? Always been Downing St. Policy whenever something unexpected makes Joe Public a touch nervy.
Controlling the masses , it really is an art form you know.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
Guessing it won't be long before that big red tie gets waved at some place like, say... Iran? A little foreign war usually works wonders.

Oh yes. Iran is toast. And another generation of American servicepeople will be killed and maimed to make it so. (Well, a "surge" in the numbers -- none of our ongoing wars has ceased.)

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pray God it doesn't turn out like that.

What if all those called up/forced to serve/whatever in the US military simply said to the Orange Trumpeter 'Stuff your war - you can go, but I'm staying home'?

IJ

P.S. I'm not so naïve as to not realise that there will always be some who will simply enjoy kicking shit out of the 'ragheads' (a term I once heard a colleague of mine use to describe people from middle-Eastern countries... [Mad] )

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

No, he will gin up the racism and nationalism as he can do so well, so that everybody will fall in line.
My daughter and son are both US Army officers, and my daughter is married to another officer. I can tell you that it is not the duty of soldiers to argue. That's the job, God help us, of the civilian leadership. Once the decision is made, the armed forces obey. Even though there are loopholes for war crimes, that's not going to kick in in a big conflict.
It frosts me that every pol making these decisions will have, carefully, never served in the armed forces, if necessary dodging the draft with faux medical issues. And to a man they have taken great care to not have their children serve.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I can tell you that it is not the duty of soldiers to argue. That's the job, God help us, of the civilian leadership. Once the decision is made, the armed forces obey.

And rightfully so. We don't want to have a country where the military picks and chooses which orders it likes.

But I wish people wouldn't sign up for service in our armed forces in the first place. They've been misused for decades. If people simply wouldn't serve, they'd have to reinstate the draft, and that would make it a lot harder to embark upon so many military misadventures.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't see so many choosing the army as a career in this country if you risk getting a knock on the door some ten or fifteen years after active service simply to be hung up as No-win-no-fee bait.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
If people simply wouldn't serve, they'd have to reinstate the draft, and that would make it a lot harder to embark upon so many military misadventures.

Relying on the draft certainly didn't keep us out of Viet Nam.
[Frown]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Neph was being courted by recruiters dangling the G. I. Bill in front of him, and I quietly send him links about various broken educational promises given by recruiters.

He'd been leaning no anyway, but he officially said, f-- this afterward. since then he's apparently become a ferocious Democrat. I wilt with pride.

I respect the sacrifices of the Armed Forces, but the main reason I would advise young folk to stay out is that the country's leaders haven't kept faith with soldiers. They use them a rhetorical tool to manipulate people into supporting war, then forget about them.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
If people simply wouldn't serve, they'd have to reinstate the draft, and that would make it a lot harder to embark upon so many military misadventures.

Relying on the draft certainly didn't keep us out of Viet Nam.
[Frown]

Right, but it would be fiendishly difficult to reinstate the draft. It's not the people who want their children to be shredded, it's the munitions manufacturers and their stooges in Congress. And the people could make it very uncomfortable for the stooges at primary season.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The Tiny Fingered One promised the veterans he'd fix everything. He also grossly insulted a number of war heroes. So who knows, what he'll do.

If you want educational benefits out of the military system, ROTC is the way to go. They pay for your college, and then you serve. As with The TFO, always get them to pay in advance. Both my kids went ROTC; my daughter got a four-year ride to Stanford, and calculates that the US government has invested the value of a Blackhawk helicopter into her education and training. She went to Afghanistan and came back, and is now using her GI Bill benefits to go to law school. Alas, she is far too intelligent to ever run for office.

--------------------

Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So much for "the people rising up against the establishment".
"Hello Murca? This is The Establishment calling..."

--------------------
Misha
Don't assume I don't care; sometimes I just can't be bothered to put you right.

Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's nothing quite like keeping it 'strictly within the family' ( to quote from After the funeral) now is there? [Smile]

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen:
There's nothing quite like keeping it 'strictly within the family' ( to quote from After the funeral) now is there? [Smile]

Wasn't it Sir Thomas Beecham who said "one should try everything once, except incest and morris dancing"?

--------------------
Misha
Don't assume I don't care; sometimes I just can't be bothered to put you right.

Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016