homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » The Trumpocalypse from abroad (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Trumpocalypse from abroad
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:
Originally posted by Pangolin Guerre:
Well, Alan, chaqu'un son goo.

At the risk of spoiling the joke, even a French language pun, we do insist that words not in the common English lexicon are translated for the benefit of those lingually challenged, either in the same post or very shortly after.

Thank you for your cooperation.

DT
HH

Will someone kindly let us linguistically challenged folk in on the joke?

--------------------
"Stop your noisy songs; I do not want to listen to your praise bands." -- Amos 5:23, Good News Bible (modified)

Posts: 10357 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It means "each to his own (taste)" (chacun son goût).

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17323 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
It means "each to his own (taste)" (chacun son goût).

The joke being that "goût" (taste) is pronounced "goo" and it is here referring to santorum (the goo).

[ 11. November 2016, 12:04: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
“Religion doesn't fuck up people, people fuck up religion.”—lilBuddha

Posts: 63203 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Where the fuck is He, then?

Probably bawling out the person on the design team who said that free will was a good idea.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12660 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On sabbatical.

--------------------
the main fear that flat-earthers face is sphere itself.

Posts: 9708 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still reviewing important things lije the size of mango seeds and nipples on men. The report on the Black Death is due next century.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11187 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen:
I'm amazed nobody's come up with that crack before though Ariel, although possibly it's more a Brit thing than American?

Rhyming slang? Yeah, probably lost on most Americans.

[ 11. November 2016, 14:16: Message edited by: Nick Tamen ]

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2560 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
quote:
I'm amazed nobody's come up with that crack before though Ariel, although possibly it's more a Brit thing than American?

They wouldn't have a scooby.

--------------------
All I want for Christmas is EU

Posts: 32196 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
quote:

They wouldn't have a scooby.
Nice! Cockney slang based on an American TV show. Even the most English of the English can't escape our omnipresent touch.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Nice! Cockney slang based on an American TV show. Even the most English of the English can't escape our omnipresent touch.

If America had the global impact and reach of some little island off the coast of Europe then you could just go and elect whoever you like, and it wouldn't bother us. Unfortunately, America isn't and so the election of a petulant child as President will have global ramifications.

--------------------

Posts: 32196 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:

If America had the global impact and reach of some little island off the coast of Europe then you could just go and elect whoever you like, and it wouldn't bother us. Unfortunately, America isn't and so the election of a petulant child as President will have global ramifications.
You say this as if I don't know it. You say this as if millions of Americans weren't in mourning for their country, or afraid for their lives after documented bullying and violence has broken out in the name of Donald Trump and Whiteness. You say this as if the rest of the world is going to suffer more than America. (I could buy that about Iran, which will undoubtedly be bombed into smithereens, God help them.)

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Actually, I only said it as being an attempted smart-arse way of ending a tangent and returning to the subject of the thread.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The equivalent here would be if a snap election was called and Ukip romped home with the vote and Nigel Farage became the next Prime Minister.

I wonder how France and Germany will fare in their forthcoming elections. It wouldn't surprise me if they went in a similar direction.

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marine Le Pen's pretty up beat - the World Service says she reckons thay if the pollsters got Brexit and Trump wrong, they're probably wrong about her getting trounced in the second round* of the Presidential election.

* she seems a dead cert for winning the poay offs, apparently

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6916 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
The equivalent here would be if a snap election was called and Ukip romped home with the vote and Nigel Farage became the next Prime Minister.

May has outflanked UKIP on the right, so there's no prospect of that.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 8934 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My knowledge of UK politic is miniscule, but I distrust any statements about there being no chance of any particular thing happening.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10173 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dyfrig:
Marine Le Pen's pretty up beat - the World Service says she reckons thay if the pollsters got Brexit and Trump wrong, they're probably wrong about her getting trounced in the second round* of the Presidential election.

* she seems a dead cert for winning the poay offs, apparently

Of course a week is a long time in politics, but barring accidents Marine Le Pen will certainly make it through to the second round, although perhaps not in first place. The left is a complete shambles. Juppé looks set to win the right-wing primary and comes across as a safe bet compared to Le Pen. If Sarkozy were to win, it would be hard to know what to do. Like May with UKIP, he has moved to the right of Le Pen on some policies. It is scary listening to her comment on some issues and finding she makes more sense than any mainstream politician.

Could Le Pen could actually win? It's a possibility and has become a lot more plausible this week, thereby making it more likely in my view. The big question is whether voters would then be consistent and vote in a Front National government in the general election that follows a little later. Or whether she'd make a stab at governing by executive decree, which is theoretically possible under the French constitution.

Put it this way, I'm trying hard to draw lessons from across the pond because there is every chance France is next in line for this sort of thing.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the Reformation spread in the way it did long before mass communication was ever conceived then this sucker is set to fall quicker than a line of dominos.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3113 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Well, Alan, chaqu'un son goo.

At the risk of spoiling the joke, even a French language pun, we do insist that words not in the common English lexicon are translated for the benefit of those lingually challenged, either in the same post or very shortly after.

Thank you for your cooperation.

DT
HH

Chaqu'un son gout[circonflex over the 'u' of gout, but I can't figure out how to do it] = Each [to] his/her taste. 'Gout' sounds very much like 'goo', hence the bilingual pun, each to his own goo, in reference to santorum.

Enjoy the veal.

Posts: 676 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gross, gross, gross, gross. Can we all agree to pick a definition of Trump that avoids the chance of impeding on our sexual experience? I don't want that freaking name popping up in the middle of... whatever.

--------------------
"Take your broken heart, make it into art"-- Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

Posts: 35057 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooo, wait, that is a good one, actually. "Getting Trumped" is when you are in the brink of orgasm and the WRONG image pops in your head.

Kinda works as a metaphor for election night, really.

--------------------

Wyclif
Apprentice
# 5391

- Posted      Profile for Wyclif   Author's homepage   Email Wyclif   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[/QUOTE]Just goes to show that having a doctorate isn't insulation against being a dick and talking shite. [/QB][/QUOTE]

The author is actually quite intelligent and nuanced, which makes me think you didn't read the piece, nor did you note that it's not actually a pro-Trump article. Read it before you further embarrass yourself.

--------------------
No trees were harmed in creating this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Posts: 36 | From: Safely in Lutterworth | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wyclif
Apprentice
# 5391

- Posted      Profile for Wyclif   Author's homepage   Email Wyclif   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is highly relevant as an analysis of the American scene, particularly the PC doctrine in the universities and resultant attempts to snuff out dissent:

"The narratives of feminism, gender, and race theory provide a comforting prophylactic against the intrusion of unwelcome reality on many fronts. Being assured that you are a victim of evil social forces, hateful individuals, and dark structural processes conspiring against your success can be a comforting belief when the alternative is to admit the possibility of a natural reality or a broadly unavoidable social reality that doesn’t function according to our egalitarian prejudices. The possibility, for instance, that historic male dominance in social power might largely be a naturally grounded phenomenon is much less palatable than the belief that this order results from a profound and more or less universal evil disorder instigated and maintained by the male sex."

https://alastairadversaria.com/2016/11/10/how-social-justice-ideology-gave-us-donald-trump/

[ 12. November 2016, 05:35: Message edited by: Wyclif ]

--------------------
No trees were harmed in creating this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Posts: 36 | From: Safely in Lutterworth | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Chaqu'un son gout[circonflex over the 'u' of gout, but I can't figure out how to do it] = Each [to] his/her taste.

[Linguistic tangent]
I copy and paste my circumflexes, and envy those who know how to do them outside Word! I'd also add an "à" either at the prow or midship - "chacun à son goût" or "à chacun son goût", although it's not essential. You will observe I also prefer "chacun"; I'm led to believe that "chaqu'un" is not a word. Quite an interesting article about it here, including a graph so it must be true!
[/Linguistic tangent]

--------------------
Misha
Don't assume I don't care; sometimes I just can't be bothered to put you right.

Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm guessing Pangolin is Quebecois. They do their French differently over there.

And thank you Monsieur, for complying with the hostly directive: I know it's a bit of an arse, but it's Ship protocol.

DT
HH

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wyclif:
... historic male dominance in social power might largely be a naturally grounded phenomenon ...

So it's natural for men to be in charge. Thanks for the reminder. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5398 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm guessing Pangolin is Quebecois. They do their French differently over there.

Tru dat. I've tried hard not to get too far into understanding Quebecois French as well - it's hard enough knowing how the French do French; damn, it's hard enough knowing how English works and I've lived with that from birth! I'm still trying to cope with learning Spanish and Russian on top of English, having learned French and Latin at school and I am about as far from a natural linguist as one can be!

--------------------
Misha

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Continuing how to do French accent tangent. Most of us who are francophone, or who live, work and play in a francophone environment use a keyboard called "Canadian multilingual standard" Using that, accents are a doddle.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20432 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

The iPad keyboard has that option, too.

--------------------

Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
...a keyboard called "Canadian multilingual standard" Using that, accents are a doddle.

Now THAT should be a universal standard. So simple but so useful.

--------------------
Misha

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I create keyboard hotkeys with AutoHotKey. So for instance when I type o"" it automatically replaces it with ö.

This means I can also program certain key combinations to be replaced with "hot text." For example, when I type qqb it automatically replaces it with [/qb][/quote]. Handy.

Takes a bit of programming skill but not much.

--------------------

anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't any programming skill, so I just look up the unicode characters. This one below is a good reference.

http://unicode-table.com/en/

You can just scroll to find the glyph you want, then if you click on it, it gives both the unicode and the HTML code, which latter you can include exactly as written, within your post, including in the middle of a word.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 990 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(Shipmates gaily caper after tangent like magpies after shiny pennies...)

--------------------

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wyclif:
quote:
Just goes to show that having a doctorate isn't insulation against being a dick and talking shite.
The author is actually quite intelligent and nuanced
He writes in parenthesis and is in dire need of a decent editor, which doesn't necessarily translate to nuance.

I think attempting to posit the 'SJWs' as a kind of year zero against which the alt-right (poor things) are reacting, is missing a lot. He constructs an imagined history in which:

"When the left is using women, racial minorities, immigrants, and LGBT persons as means to attack straight white Christian men, for instance, it is extremely easy to forget that these groups have never been the enemy"

Presumably where the reaction of the Right was that of "adopting a gentle approach to navigating the differences between groups, seeking for ways for people with different values and beliefs to live together in peace".

I keep his blog in my feed reader because it's an interesting bell-weather of a particular strand of thought in conservative evangelicalism. His group blog 'mereorthodoxy' is more of the same - young fogeys crying 'why, oh why, oh why'.

[ 12. November 2016, 20:03: Message edited by: chris stiles ]

Posts: 3879 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
(Shipmates gaily caper after tangent like magpies after shiny pennies...)

quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
He writes in parenthesis and is in dire need of a decent editor...

Successive posts. Just saying...
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Misha

molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I create keyboard hotkeys with AutoHotKey. So for instance when I type o"" it automatically replaces it with ö.

This means I can also program certain key combinations to be replaced with "hot text." For example, when I type qqb it automatically replaces it with

I feel quite blessed with my Swiss keyboard. Fully geared to German and French, throw in Italian there, and it even provides for the Spanish tilda without the hassle of the AZERTY muddle. The QWERTZ layout with only the Y and Z swapped makes it easy to learn coming from a UK/US keyboard, and it even has $ and £ placed above one another (an anachronism, given the rise of the Euro).

[ 12. November 2016, 23:17: Message edited by: molopata ]

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1717 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Hostly furry hat on

This tangent is over. Go take it to Heaven. Practice your UBB coding. Whatever. Just do it elsewhere.

Hostly furry hat off

DT
HH

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahem, Yes.
quote:
Could Le Pen could actually win? It's a possibility and has become a lot more plausible this week, thereby making it more likely in my view. The big question is whether voters would then be consistent and vote in a Front National government in the general election that follows a little later. Or whether she'd make a stab at governing by executive decree, which is theoretically possible under the French constitution.

In fact, I think Le Pen has already won in the same way as Farage has achieved his goal in British politics. By capturing a sentiment that is present in large parts of the population (and I must admit, in traces even in myself from time to time), she has become a rallying point for fears and grievances, be that concerning immigration, identity, or jobs. And one of her most attractive traits is that she is ready to give the classe politique [political class] a good hiding - what's not to like about that?
As in other European countries, French political parties have gradually been waking up to the threat (in comparison, the American establishment has been amazingly slow to respond to Trump's blitz), and they have started to adjust their own policies in response. I would hazard that in Theresa May we have the sleeker version of Farage, In the same way, it is Sarkozy who is morphing into a more gallant version of Marie Le Pen. On that account, I don't believe that le Pen will be moving to the Élysée any time soon, but many of her ideas will be part of removal freight of the next president, whoever that may be.

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1717 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Ok, I think this fits here. If you go back and review those 9/11 threads like someone suggested, somewhere in there you will find me griping about people taking these big, and I mean BIG ass flags and anchoring them into their pickup trucks with broom handles. I believe I told a story about a corner of one grazing my windshield from one lane over.

They are back.

Here's the thing-- under Obama, I was starting to feel like it was my flag again, something I could identify with. Now it's being used as a weapon again.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by molopata:
And one of her most attractive traits is that she is ready to give the classe politique [political class] a good hiding - what's not to like about that?

What's not to like about it is that the Le Pen clan is in many ways part of that classe politique. Marine casts herself as a woman of the people very well, but it's a political dynasty much like the Bush and Clinton ones.

Possibly even scarier still is her niece Marion Maréchal Le Pen, the youngest French MP in modern history. At the same time the FN is gradually winning local government seats and building up the political experience it formerly lacked. The Le Pen clan is going to be around for a long time.
quote:
In the same way, it is Sarkozy who is morphing into a more gallant version of Marie Le Pen. On that account, I don't believe that le Pen will be moving to the Élysée any time soon
After what just happened in the US, I really wouldn't rule it out. Even less so if there is a Sarkozy-Le Pen runoff in the second round. Mostly because of the appeal of that "let's stick it to the system" urge.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

I see the BBC have just published excerpts of an interview with her, here. She has as smooth a discourse as any mainstream politician, far removed from the constant spinning off-message of her father, and to the uninformed and disenfranchised, it comes across as wholly compelling. I know this because I not infrequently hear people, typically the working poor or those on benefits, parrotting her views. I find her totally chilling and consider her a very real threat.

--------------------

Curious Kitten
Shipmate
# 11953

- Posted      Profile for Curious Kitten     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This showed up on my tumblr feed and via this.

--------------------
Happiness is not having what we want but wanting what we have.

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
I see the BBC have just published excerpts of an interview with her, here.

Unless Mme Le Pen is masquerading as a google doodle of Dr Suess, it's not 'here'.

[Disappointed]

(there is this thing called 'Preview Post'. Apparently, it's your friend...)

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indy article re Marie Le Pen..
Oh what a fucking mess..

A certain GK song that observed this lot back in the 80s...

Posts: 2138 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
(there is this thing called 'Preview Post'. Apparently, it's your friend...)

My religion forbids me from forcing Preview Post to work on the Sabbath. But if you insist try this (includes video interview with subtitles)

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
O fascism, thy honeyed words are heard once again in the land. Or really, proto-fascism.

--------------------
the main fear that flat-earthers face is sphere itself.

Posts: 9708 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is, perhaps, some cold comfort in reflecting on the general fate of most fascist dictators e.g. Hitler, Mussolini et al , or, of course, of dictators in general.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 9470 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
There is, perhaps, some cold comfort in reflecting on the general fate of most fascist dictators e.g. Hitler, Mussolini et al , or, of course, of dictators in general.

IJ

Franco and Salazar? Their regimes eventually ended but they were around for a long time.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1084 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, and just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, our very own dear fuckwitted fascist Nigel Garbage becomes the first UK politician to lick Trump's arse...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37965089

I know you Americans have enough to cope with, but please could you quietly intern him whilst he's on your side of the pond? And then lose the key?

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 9470 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Thanks, Net Spinster - I had forgotten Franco and Salazar (doubtless there were others who, as you say, lasted a long time).

* sighs wistfully * - I was perhaps just dreaming hopefully...

IJ

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016