homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » The Trumpocalypse from abroad (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Trumpocalypse from abroad
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"When fascism comes to the Uk, it will be waving the Union Jack..."
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alas, I fear it already has and does...

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Oh, and just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, our very own dear fuckwitted fascist Nigel Garbage becomes the first UK politician to lick Trump's arse...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37965089

I know you Americans have enough to cope with, but please could you quietly intern him whilst he's on your side of the pond? And then lose the key?

IJ

Garbage and Donald Duck.........On a trumped-up charge perhaps, Bishop's Finger?

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Alas, I fear it already has and does...

It's been doing that ever since the National Front appropriated it. What else would it have been waving but the national flag? It usually likes to begin with an appeal to patriotism.
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just so - but they forget that the Union Jack also incorporates the flags of what Flanders and Swann referred to as those 'rottenest parts of these islands of ours', i.e. Scotland and Wales!

[Paranoid]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welshman signing in......

It doesn't actually Bishop's Finger. It incorporates Scotland and I think Northern Ireland but not Wales.......

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

O bugger...

[Hot and Hormonal]

IJ

(sorry about that)

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen:
Welshman signing in......

It doesn't actually Bishop's Finger. It incorporates Scotland and I think Northern Ireland but not Wales.......

By the time the Union Flag was put together, Wales was already embedded in England, thanks to Henry IV (I think), Owain Glyndwr, etc.. It was no longer held to have a separate identity, anyway.

It's definitely included; it just didn't require separate representation.

[ 13. November 2016, 21:22: Message edited by: ThunderBunk ]

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Ah well - I think my point about the mongrel nature of the 'English' or 'Great British' still stands!

IJ

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Scotland and Ireland; at the time the St Patrick's cross was added it was the whole of Ireland.

Wales is sadly neglected. The historical context is simple enough; it's about a Kingdom; the King of England was automatically already King in Wales, but the forming of the United Kingdom was the merging of two fully fledged separate Kingdoms. However, as a flag for the Nation it does seem to discount Wales entirely. Personally I think Y Ddraig Goch (Red Dragon) would look superb superimposed over the top, but that's just me.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The trouble with the term Great Britain is that it originated as a geographical term, not a political one. There are, in French, two Bretagnes, the little one, Brittany, projecting into the Atlantic, and the big one, which is the island of Britain, Grande Bretagne. Nothing to do with the trumpian sense of great at all. Or that is what I learned. Some time ago.

[ 14. November 2016, 11:17: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
The trouble with the term Great Britain is that it originated as a geographical term, not a political one. There are, in French, two Bretagnes, the little one, Brittany, projecting into the Atlantic, and the big one, which is the island of Britain, Grande Bretagne. Nothing to do with the trumpian sense of great at all. Or that is what I learned. Some time ago.

Thank you Penny for pointing this out! I have been trying to tell people this for years but just meet with disbelief. It's nothing to do with blowing our own trumpet and declaring how "great" we are in the modern sense of the word. It would probably help if the media weren't constantly abusing the term in "the Great British this or that".

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Thunderbunk
quote:
By the time the Union Flag was put together, Wales was already embedded in England, thanks to Henry IV (I think), Owain Glyndwr, etc.. It was no longer held to have a separate identity, anyway.
The correct term is 'occupied' or 'conquered'. The people in the west were here before the Anglo-Saxons, let alone the Normans. It was the bastardised English (more accurately their French rulers) who held that we didn't have a separate identity.
quote:
It's definitely included; it just didn't require separate representation.
"Require"!!! There was a very good system of government running in Wales where the poorest peasant had the same access to justice from his peers as the highest prince: all of that was systematically destroyed by your French rulers.

There was no King in Wales because there were several principalities linked together by treaty and custom: as and when necessary one of the princes was chosen to represent the nation as a whole.

Again the English show their ignorance (as well as hubris) in terming the heir to their throne Prince of Wales since there was never any such fixed title gained through inheritance, it only ever being used when one of the Welsh princes was deemed to be senior and representative of them all.

In fact when you look at what has happened to English princes of wales since you killed our last princes, one might think there was a curse on the title... Certainly the English monarchy has a very high rate of second sons taking the crown through death of the first.

[ 26. November 2016, 11:12: Message edited by: L'organist ]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Eek!]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
L'Organist (note the infidel name - wherefore no Celtic purity?) - I was being consciously facetious in my description of the situation.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016