homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Veiled in flesh the Martin see (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Veiled in flesh the Martin see
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By the way, forgot to say, Martin's always been a bit of a favourite with me. Can't say why, because he's so esoteric at times! But to me - and it's just my personal opinion, of course - he represents something pretty special both about the journey of faith and this online community.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't be trying so hard to understand him if I didn't think all of that was true.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ETA: response to Thunderbunk
Where is the evidence of your claim? Who has been pushed out for being different?
Martin doesn't engender hatred, but annoyance. Martin can express himself in his own manner and still communicate. He just has to actually communicate occasionally. Not in every utterance, occasionally.

[ 22. December 2016, 17:18: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin's alright. I like reading his posts. They are better than mine.

I can understand why Eutychus got pissed off though. Martin can be clear when he wants to be.

I can do paragraphs too, and be concise.

But it takes effort. As does avoiding silly spats. I thought I had done so since being allowed back.

I will try to do better in the New Year.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by mousethief
quote:
What I have seen is that the people who are really different, if it becomes uncomfortable, are shrugged off.

When I first started posting here, it was crickets for a while. At least part of that was me, I needed to learn to communicate well enough to properly engage.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<pauses, needing to look up "crickets" in the UrbanDictionary...>

(seriously: this communication thing can be hard...)

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Originally posted by mousethief
quote:
What I have seen is that the people who are really different, if it becomes uncomfortable, are shrugged off.

When I first started posting here, it was crickets for a while. At least part of that was me, I needed to learn to communicate well enough to properly engage.
I can still get crickets if I say something about an Orthodox point of view in an Ecclesiantics thread. Indeed I remember a very long thread in perhaps Styx where people were pointing out that Ecclesiantics regulars weren't interested in discussing anything other than the vicissitudes of the Anglican Church and its former vassals. Of course you can't force people to discuss things they don't want to, and eventually most of us non-Anglicans just gave up on ever being engaged with there. <shrugs>

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps next to our post count we need a Crickets quotient, where the software counts our percentage of posts that nobody actually responded to

--------------------

Posts: 2405 | From: Aotearoa/New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ISTM that would be difficult to determine, as not all responses quote the post they're responding to.

--------------------

Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
mumble mumble ... big data... mumble something ... facebook algorithms ... mutter

Yeah it would be. We could add manually counting responses to hosts duties, because they would like that very much.

--------------------

Posts: 2405 | From: Aotearoa/New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Martin's alright. I like reading his posts. They are better than mine.

I will try to do better in the New Year.

Very true!
And please stop apologising.

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why? Is apologising too Catholic for you?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

GOD: Arthur! Arthur, King of the Britons! Oh, don't grovel! If there's one thing I can't stand, it's people groveling.

ARTHUR: Sorry--

GOD: And don't apologize. Every time I try to talk to someone it's "sorry this" and "forgive me that" and "I'm not worthy". What are you doing now!?

ARTHUR: I'm averting my eyes, oh Lord.

GOD: Well, don't. It's like those miserable Psalms -- they're so depressing. Now knock it off!

ARTHUR: Yes, Lord.

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sound effects ....

Serving hatch opening in the clouds, God's amplified voice showing irritation at Arthur. Clunk of doors sliding shut at the end of the encounter.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
I've watched the Martin-is-a-tosser threads for years, and on occasion have been known to spring to the defence of his right to be a complete knob. Lately however, the attraction has waned, possibly because he is such a complete knob. The sheer arrogance of his pseudo-Forrest Gump-channelling simplicity masked in his deliberately obfuscatory prose no longer entertains me.

I suspect I'm not alone in wishing he'd fuck off and set himself up as a prophet somewhere else. He doesn't appear to be attracting many acolytes around here. Perhaps there's some other wilderness he could wander, in search of redemption, or whatever-the-fuck it is that he seeks.

And passer, me old cock sparra, I don't want acolytes, I want to be an acolyte. Can we grab the hem of your robe that you may lead us to be incarnational? I seek to be incarnational, with you mate.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

That's got to be a two-way process.

It's one thing to grasp the hem of someone's robe, quite another to pull their pisser.

--------------------

passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
And passer, me old cock sparra, I don't want acolytes, I want to be an acolyte. Can we grab the hem of your robe that you may lead us to be incarnational? I seek to be incarnational, with you mate.

(sighs)

The voice returns like the insistent out-of-tune
Of a broken violin on an August afternoon:
“I am always sure that you understand
My feelings, always sure that you feel,
Sure that across the gulf you reach your hand.

You are invulnerable, you have no Achilles’ heel.
You will go on, and when you have prevailed
You can say: at this point many a one has failed.

But what have I, but what have I, my friend,
To give you, what can you receive from me?

I shall sit here, serving tea to friends.…”

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To balance my earlier thought, if there were any particular feature of Martin's posts I would describe as infernal, it's his obsequiousness. It doesn't help anything or anyone, and simply makes the Ship feel like some kind of virtual tribute to Dickens.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:

(sighs)

The voice returns like the insistent out-of-tune
Of a broken violin on an August afternoon:
“I am always sure that you understand
My feelings, always sure that you feel,
Sure that across the gulf you reach your hand.

You are invulnerable, you have no Achilles’ heel.
You will go on, and when you have prevailed
You can say: at this point many a one has failed.

But what have I, but what have I, my friend,
To give you, what can you receive from me?

I shall sit here, serving tea to friends.…”

That is SO good. In every way. No surprise that its Thomas Stearns. You won't believe that's who came to mind.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

To his many sins, Martin adds an obsequiousness worthy of Uriah Heep.

Yes, that is a key ingredient.

Other than his obscurantism, passive-aggressiveness, obsequiousness and incoherence he's essentially an alright bloke ...

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Aggression. Bastard.

--------------------
Love wins

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

You. What?

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
To his many sins...

And why would you chip in at this point in the thread with that? There's been a pretty good exchange of views and what does this add now and what's the motivation?

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

To say that despite his 'many didn't, Martin60 remains a 'good bloke.'

Did you not read the rest of my post?

FWIW I like Martin. I may wind him up here in Hell but elsewhere I find myself in broad agreement - when I can understand what he's saying.

If he dropped the obsequiousness and the obscurantism, he'd be ok.

There are things I need to stop doing too.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

And also things I need to start doing, such as previewing my posts. That should have read 'many sins' ... But dang that predictive text ...

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I may wind him up here in Hell...

That answers my question more credibly than your implication that the primary motive was to say what a good bloke he is. Winding people up is a shitty activity.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Yeah, but watch me go!

--------------------
Love wins

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

I can't think what could go wrong.

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
Winding people up is a shitty activity.

As shitty activity goes it ranks a fair way down the list.
And indeed when it comes to someone winding up another on 'soc.' there is always the option of turning the fuck thing to OFF.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
Winding people up is a shitty activity.

As shitty activity goes it ranks a fair way down the list.
So is knocking over rural mailboxes, but it's still shitty. And much less likely to happen online.

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

Nothing shitty gonna happen to you online if you're not online.

Not sure about rural mail boxes, we have had the craze of ramming road signs in this area for a while. Then post it online for extra tee-hee value, that is until you get traced and end up paying for the damage.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Being shitty to Martin60 and saying what a good bloke he is at the same time is consistent with my both/and not either/or mantra.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
Nothing shitty gonna happen to you online if you're not online.

This is roughly equivalent to, if you don't like the way I beat up everybody on the playground, don't come on the playground. One can actually want the playground to be a nice place to be, and enjoy being there when it is. And people shitting on it needn't be tolerated.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
Being shitty to Martin60 and saying what a good bloke he is at the same time is consistent with my both/and not either/or mantra.

Jesus Christ that is crazier than a moose on meth in purple flares.

Call that a mantra if you want I think it's just hopeless foolery.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Then you are a better man than I am mdijon.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Either that or you can't tell when someone is pulling your pisser, you po-faced prat.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

Gamaliel, you say the most pathetic stuff that makes no sense at all, including admitting to winding people up, then think it's all OK if you pull this both/and schtick and say it was all a joke.

I don't see anyone laughing. And I really don't want the image of you pulling my pisser.

Fuck off and stop shitting on the playground.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

If you don't want your pisser pulled, put it away and stop wandering around with it hanging so obviously out if your trousers so that any passerby can take a potshot at it.

You ought to be grateful that someone has actually seen it.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Of course it's a joke. It may not be a funny one but Martin seems to have taken it in the way it was intended.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
You. What?

"passive-aggressiveness", I mean, I ask you. Bastard.

--------------------
Love wins

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you don't want your pisser pulled

Best admission of being a troll I've seen here in a while.

At least the racists sexists and other=stuff-ists believe what they say. Unlike you. Gamaliel. Troll. Lowest of the low.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

Goodness me, there seem to be so many Trolls wallowing the murky depths these days it makes you wonder who is left manning the decks.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
If you don't want your pisser pulled, put it away and stop wandering around with it hanging so obviously out if your trousers so that any passerby can take a potshot at it.

Failed and baseless justification for trolling. Fuck off.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Fair enough Martin60. I understood that.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I will fur cough but wish you all a Happy New Year. Take care now.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
Fair enough Martin60. I understood that.

Yeah. And you won't forget. You'll bide your time. Bastard.

--------------------
Love wins

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Good. At least I seem to have cured you of your obsequiousness. So at least I've done that much, even if I have pissed other people off in the process.

I do wish you and yours a Happy and Incarnational New Year. Keep us on our toes.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

And to you - with a very short 'ay' - and yours Gamaliel.

--------------------
Love wins

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016