homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Russ, you are either incredibly stupid or a Trolling Bigot (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Russ, you are either incredibly stupid or a Trolling Bigot
Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That ain't frosting

--------------------

Posts: 2405 | From: Aotearoa/New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Goldfish Stew:
That ain't frosting

[Projectile]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Goldfish Stew:
That ain't frosting

[Killing me]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you lot are finished wanking off, I'd like to get back to the wanker for whom I started this thread.
I think it fairly obvious by now that engaging the fatuous tosser merely serves to help him stroke himself silly. He's getting to spew his bigoted slime all over the thread under the pretence of being "fair".

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
And here, ladies and gentlemen, we see quite nakedly what lies behind 90% of the righteous homophobia in this world: The Ick Factor.

Wouldn't the "Ick Factor" be a fetish involving lizard people?

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Snigger]
A lot of folk thought he'd gorn nutty over that Lizard business, now he's loaded. H'mmm....

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
I think it fairly obvious by now that engaging the fatuous tosser merely serves to help him stroke himself silly. He's getting to spew his bigoted slime all over the thread under the pretence of being "fair".

It is indeed a bit like the way 2-3% of scientists who don't accept climate change (usually not actual climate scientists) are given equal time for the sake of "balance".

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
Highjacked? "Gay" has carried a connotation of immorality for at least 400 years; it has been used to mean homosexual for at least 150 years. What you inaccurately describe as highjacking is people successfully taking control of a perjorative used about them.

Language changes. In this case, yes, I think it has changed for the better.

I don't think this is correct re time frame. In my youth, 1960s and into the early 70s, we watched The Flintstones cartoon, lyric of the theme included "have a gay old time". Which meant 'kick up your heels fun'. A friend, who no longer uses the first name Gaye would not have been named such in the 1950s if the word's meaning had changed. Thought perhaps it meant something else sooner in some places, a code word perhaps?

A brief look through the every somewhat reliable web suggests that the usage of a word which sounds like 'gay' was not widespread until quite a bit later. I recall when I first heard the new meaning, it was ~1975 and I didn't understand. Not sure when The Flintstones changed the theme lyric to "great old time".

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
quote:
Highjacked? "Gay" has carried a connotation of immorality for at least 400 years; it has been used to mean homosexual for at least 150 years. What you inaccurately describe as highjacking is people successfully taking control of a perjorative used about them.

I don't think this is correct re time frame. In my youth, 1960s and into the early 70s, we watched The Flintstones cartoon, lyric of the theme included "have a gay old time". Which meant 'kick up your heels fun'. A friend, who no longer uses the first name Gaye would not have been named such in the 1950s if the word's meaning had changed. Thought perhaps it meant something else sooner in some places, a code word perhaps?

A brief look through the every somewhat reliable web suggests that the usage of a word which sounds like 'gay' was not widespread until quite a bit later. I recall when I first heard the new meaning, it was ~1975 and I didn't understand. Not sure when The Flintstones changed the theme lyric to "great old time".

Except none of this is contrary to what Nick said. He referred to usage. You're referring to "widespread usage" (and really, usage in your particular social circle).

The two aren't mutually exclusive.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back in the "discuss anything other than the actual point" thread, Russ is stringing Dyfed along. "Okay so there are these groups. Are you always in the group once you're placed in the group?"

Anything, Russ, except accept the facts. Throw up more sand in the eyes of your interlocutors. If I can keep changing what the conversation is about, I never have to admit that I am pitting Christians' "right" to discriminate against gay, black, etc. people's right to live in a society that doesn't treat them as sub-people. That's the only issue with the "gay cake" incident.

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Russ, of course, isn't going to show up because he thinks that being "polite" excuses both prejudice and cowardice. His tactics are getting increasingly desperate. Here's the latest:

quote:
Originally posted by Russ:
If this is your principle, do you consider that "disadvantaged status" once acquired is for all time ? Or is there some statistic that you would look at every year to assess whether your list of disadvantaged groups was still applicable ?

I interpret that as "Oooh, when can I start discriminating again?" Or, "How long does someone have to be disabled to be considered disabled?"

As a debater, Russ is so far up his ass that he's kissing his own tonsils. As a human being ...

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

It's more than that. It's code for the claim that the tables have turned and now it's the Christians who are being persecuted.

Straight, white male Christians have never had it so hard, and we still insist on all these laws that were based on discrimination against women and blacks and queers.

I read a brilliant article earlier this year about how when you're used to being privileged, equality feels like persecution. All this taking the rights of others into account, it's so tiring.

[ 24. December 2016, 00:29: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
quote:

I didn't say that the only meaning of "gay" was homosexual, any more than heterosexual is the only meaning of "straight" now. What you are aware of is when, following Stonewall, the word began to be used primarily or exclusively to mean homosexual, and moved beyond being slang known mainly in certain circles. And perhaps I should have said 100–150 years.

A few examples:

By the late 1800s, a "gay woman" was a prostitute, and a "gay house" was a brothel. Then there's "gay Lothario."

"Charlie Dilke Upset the Milk," an 1880s music hall song by Fred Gilbert and G.H. MacDermott about the extra-marital (and heterosexual) improprieties of Sir Charles Dilke, contains these lines:

"Master Dilke upset the milk
When taking it home to Chelsea;
The papers say that Charlie's gay
Rather a wilful wag!"

In 1889, male prostitute John Saul testified in court: "I occasionally do odd-jobs for different gay people."

In "Bringing Up Baby" (1938), when straight-laced David Huxley (Cary Grant) is encountered wearing a négligée and is asked why, he responds impatiently, "Because I've just gone gay all of a sudden." The line, an ad lib by Grant, was a double entendre that many would miss but others would catch.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Straight, white male Christians have never had it so hard, and we still insist on all these laws that were based on discrimination against women and blacks and queers.

I read a brilliant article earlier this year about how when you're used to being privileged, equality feels like persecution. All this taking the rights of others into account, it's so tiring.

Of course in the UK, the law we're talking about isn't written about women, blacks and queers. It's written about gender, race and sexual orientation (and even includes religion). If that is interpreted as favouring women, blacks and queers then it can only be equality that feels like persecution.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
About usage of the word 'gay'....

I agree with Nick that from an original meaning of light-hearted etc., the word certainly acquired a secondary implication of ideas like reckless, 'devil-may-care', extremely irresponsible and so general loose-living. That someone 'went gaily on his way' tends to carry an implication of 'indifferent to the harm he had caused and the havoc he left behind him'.

But specifically to mean 'homosexual'??

I think what is going on here is that back when homosexuality was criminal (and to be clear, I don't think it should have been), the word 'gay' came to be used as a piece of 'argot/thieves cant' to mean homosexual. And the point of such a usage is that it is deliberately ambiguous and does indeed amount to the hijacking of a word of other meaning in order to talk apparently innocently about illegality or immorality.

There was a TV programme a few months back in which the Oxford Dictionary people appealed for the public to find 'earliest uses' of various words and phrases or, as in this case, particular senses of a more general word. "Gay" meaning "homosexual" was one of the words discussed and the point was made about the ambiguity in the situation.

A quote from Gertrude Stein about having a 'gay time' with her lesbian partner was offered as an example of the earliest use - this would be in the 1930s/40s, the previous example having been I think in the late 1950s. And the problem is clear - is Stein actually talking about having a specifically sexual time, or is she simply using the word gay in its older sense, albeit in a lesbian context? Does she mean "We did lots of gay sex" or does she just mean "We had a blithe carefree light-hearted time"?

And that will apply to lots of examples simply because there was clearly a period of deliberate ambiguity and because the word could be used in its older sense even though in a context of homosexuals.

My memory is also that even in the increasingly liberal 1960s the primary sexual meaning of 'gay' was the phrase 'gay bachelor' very much meaning a promiscuous heterosexual.

As I say, the implication is of a word previously meaning something else being hijacked via a usage in criminal argot where it was very much the point that a seemingly innocent word was used of a criminal or immoral act.

[ 24. December 2016, 12:05: Message edited by: Steve Langton ]

Posts: 2245 | From: Stockport UK | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was woman on woman sex ever punishable with a jail term in the U.K. ?
I always took it that the word 'Gay' was used to counter the fact the most had, for many decades, associated the word Homosexual with criminality. An association that clearly had to be broken to bring to where we are today.

Maybe the time has now arrived whereby we can return to using the words heterosexual and homosexual in their rightful setting.

[ 24. December 2016, 12:39: Message edited by: rolyn ]

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Words change their meaning all the time. The word "with" now means almost the exact opposite of its original meaning of "against".

To describe this process as "hijacking" involves a view of language that is at odds with the reality of how language constantly evolves.

--------------------

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Words change their meaning all the time. The word "with" now means almost the exact opposite of its original meaning of "against".

To describe this process as "hijacking" involves a view of language that is at odds with the reality of how language constantly evolves.

Yes words constantly change their meaning; and sometimes even though it's happened 'naturally' it's not a good change. Take the word 'refute'; strictly speaking, that means to very positively disprove something. In modern usage, politicians and similar figures will say "I refute that" simply to mean "I strongly deny it", without any sign of actual refutation/disproof. As a result of that ignorant usage we have effectively lost the proper meaning of 'refute'. I don't like that, but I accept it because I do know how language works.

The change that has occurred with the word 'gay' involves a much more deliberate misuse of the word and more of a "knowing what we're doing" situation, and I think the phrase 'hijacked' is basically appropriate to what happened. I may have to accept it - but like what's happened to 'refute', not without protest!!

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Steve Bigot Langton:

You are objecting to the change of a word I'd wager you never use except pejoratively anyway to try to defend a statement you are pretending you didn't make with a logic that is more severely flawed than your soul. At least you are consistent.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
Was woman on woman sex ever punishable with a jail term in the U.K. ?

Not sure about Scotland but sex between women was not criminalized in England (there was an attempt as late as the 1920s to make acts of indecency between women criminal [search Hansard for "Acts of indecency by females"] which passed the House of Commons but rejected by the House of Lords [mostly on procedural grounds as it had been tacked onto another bill and not properly debated in the Commons]). However it was certainly frowned upon.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Langton (noun, improper)

1. Dick.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What you are aware of is when, following Stonewall, the word began to be used primarily or exclusively to mean homosexual, and moved beyond being slang known mainly in certain circles. And perhaps I should have said 100–150 years.

That's helpful. I had to look up Stonewall, which comes up first on searches with the necessary history. Stonewall riot isn't we heard about, not being American. What was on our radar were the changes in the Criminal Code of Canada initiated in 1967, with PM Pierre Trudeau's famous quote ""The state has no place in the bedrooms of the nation", which is generally and often quoted.

(No one should ever have to apologise for love. There's far too much cruelty in the world, and this thread contains the seeds and flowers of that great, great evil: failure to love. At this Christmastime, we commemorate the birth of someone who told us to love each each, and to be kind to one another. I'd say it's pretty much your duty as a person to express your humanness by loving others in all the ways you can. Probably trite to say, but please do, Love, in all the ways you have capability.)

[ 24. December 2016, 16:18: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Langton:
The change that has occurred with the word 'gay' involves a much more deliberate misuse of the word and more of a "knowing what we're doing" situation, and I think the phrase 'hijacked' is basically appropriate to what happened. I may have to accept it - but like what's happened to 'refute', not without protest!!

But would you protest it so vigorously -- or indeed at all -- if you didn't have such a hardon of hate against gays?

--------------------

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

quote:
quote:

But would you protest it so vigorously -- or indeed at all -- if you didn't have such a hardon of hate against gays?
I care about gays; the Greek word for care is, I believe, 'agapE'. Disagreeing with someone doesn't mean you don't care.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:
quote:

I care about gays; the Greek word for care is, I believe, 'agapE'. Disagreeing with someone doesn't mean you don't care.
When you "care" enough to call them the "worst" and argue for allowing businesses to discriminate against them, equate them all with a physical act that does not distinguish them in any way and telegraph your disgust for that act -- exactly what definition of the word are you using?

--------------------

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
quote:

anal sex obsession

Time to do some math, Steve. The overwhelming majority of anal sex acts are enjoyed by opposite-sex couples.
1) Please remind me where and in what context I posted the phrase 'anal sex obsession'.

2) Yes, I know that most anal sex is heterosexual. The point is of course that from a Christian point of view such acts are to say the least questionable in the heterosexual context - they don't become any less questionable when performed between two men.

3) anoesis, while I'd not read the particular quote, I'm aware of Stephen Fry's views at this point. And also of a verse in the Bible where one David says of his friend Jonathan "Your love for me was greater than the love of women". I very much believe in love between men - but not in acts between males which in effect parody the sexual relationship which biblically God clearly intended to be heterosexual.

4) The reaction to my raising that issue does rather put a question on the idea that the 'gay' issue is only about what people 'are' and not also about what they DO.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Let me see if I understand your logic -- "Y'all say it's about what they ARE and not what they DO. In my comments I made it about what they DO and y'all reacted negatively to that. Therefore you must think it's about what they DO also."

Is that what you're getting at with your #4?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Perhaps this is the argument:

We: Being gay is about who you are, not what you do.

You: It's about what you do, and what they do is anal sex.

We: They do not all do anal sex.

You: Ah, so you admit it's about what they do and not who they are.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
quote:

I agree that you care about them. Indeed, they seem to be a topic that you care about to the point of obsession.

This is not the same as having any affection for them. Language again. Saying "I care" is merely a confirmation of your interest, especially when you care ABOUT.

Personally I'd be delighted if you stopped caring about me and poured your spare time into some other hobby.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

It also leaves unanswered the question of how you express your love of gays and lesbians, and what you actually do.
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Hsve you met any gay person who likes your care?
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

anal sex obsession

Time to do some math, Steve. The overwhelming majority of anal sex acts are enjoyed by opposite-sex couples.
1) Please remind me where and in what context I posted the phrase 'anal sex obsession'. ...
Oh, well, you got me there. You often post in great length and detail about anal sex, but you're right, you haven't actually acknowledged you're obsessed with anal sex.

quote:

unacknowledged anal sex obsession

Is that better?

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

quote:
You often post in great length and detail about anal sex,
Actually, I don't think I've even mentioned it that often at all. Let alone 'in great length and detail'. Though I have occasionally 'spelled it out' so that that particular bit of ugly reality doesn't get fudged out by vague and non-specific stuff about 'love'.

Hard to avoid mentioning it at all when discussing 'gay sex', but I'm no keener on the subject than that other Stephen seems to be.

So why do you think I mention it so often??

orfeo

# 13878

It is in fact very EASY to avoid mentioning it. "Gay sex" consists of sexual intimacy between two people of the same gender who are sexually attracted. Which has absolutely nothing to say about where the body parts of the 2 people might be relative to one another.

--------------------

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
fudged out

Seriously?

The squelchy details of other people's sex lives are not my cup of tea regardless of whether they're gay, straight, furry or xenophiliac. One has to wonder (even if one would rather not) how much time Steve spends contemplating these things in order to determine that he finds some people's sex lives icky and others not. Too long by at least half, I would guess.

Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Though I have occasionally 'spelled it out' so that that particular bit of ugly reality doesn't get fudged out by vague and non-specific stuff about 'love'.

I'd love to see a wedding card you wrote. Cutting to the chase about the reality of a bit of PIV because that's all it's really about.

You could do a range of cards, make a bit of coin on the side.

--------------------

Posts: 2405 | From: Aotearoa/New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
About usage of the word 'gay'....

I agree with Nick that from an original meaning of light-hearted etc., the word certainly acquired a secondary implication of ideas like reckless, 'devil-may-care', extremely irresponsible and so general loose-living. That someone 'went gaily on his way' tends to carry an implication of 'indifferent to the harm he had caused and the havoc he left behind him'.

Like the members of tiny sects that are trying to "Hijack" the word Christian to apply only to their own practice and not the common and historical usage. They want it to mean their practices which are "indifferent to the harm they cause to others and the havoc they wreak."

That would be you Steve.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Though I have occasionally 'spelled it out' so that that particular bit of ugly reality doesn't get fudged out by vague and non-specific stuff about 'love'.

Which particular bit of ugly reality? Can you spell this out? It's being fudged out by your intentional passive-aggressive vagueness here.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Sticking your twig up to the berries in the naughty hole, especially if it another bloke's

[ 26. December 2016, 17:18: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So why do you think I mention it so often??
Because you are obsessed with it apparently. You don't even realize how often you come out with it. Seriously Steve, even to a casual reader of these threads such as myself (you may notice I don't often comment on them, that's because I read them only sketchily) sees it. You can't get your mind out of the gutter long enough to see what anyone else is saying. It is blatently obvious to anyone else.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I wish his mind hadn't gone to the word 'fudged' in that context, either.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Sticking your twig up to the berries in the naughty hole, especially if it another bloke's

This is the centrality of it, then. Not love, which is too vague. Not explicit enough. It follows as night follows the day opposite-sex marriage isn't about love, either, but jamming one's piss wand up a young lady's rabbit hole. I wish Steve would come out with his real feelings about this, and not beat around the bush.

--------------------

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
And I wish his mind hadn't gone to the word 'fudged' in that context, either.

That does seem to be a concern of his. Perhaps we just need to explain douching to Mr Langton and all of his worry, anger and disgust will disappear?
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Bites back curiosity about the benefits of douches over enemas)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Douches, literal or figurative, do more harm than good.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

quote:
... I wish Steve would come out with his real feelings about this, and not beat around the bush.

Beating around the bush is probably his main extracurricular activity.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:
... I wish Steve would come out with his real feelings about this, and not beat around the bush.

Beating around the bush is probably his main extracurricular activity.
Wait, I don't get it. This is awfully vague.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does he need to spell it out?

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:

Wait, what? What do you know about the literal ones that I don't?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:

Wait, what? What do you know about the literal ones that I don't?
An article among many.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016