homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Fuck off, 2016 (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fuck off, 2016
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Good luck with that dream.

If the Whitehouse is still standing in 8 years Daddy T will still be in it. With Mr P's assistance he might even be there longer that. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
quote:
Originally posted by Pangolin Guerre:
I'll come to the defence of our arbitrarily reckoned NYD. (I think that we can agree on the 365.25... days.) The first of any month is as valid a choice as any other

At the risk of being a pedantic bore, for a long time in England (and throughout Europe, I believe) New Year's Day was 25th March. The only remnant of that now is our tax year beginning on April 5th (which is 25th March plus the 11 days that we jumped from moving from the Julian to Gregorian systems).

Why 25th March was picked as NYD, and why it was changed, I know not. Ken would have sorted me out in an instant; does anyone else know?

I was aware of that, but I don't think that the 25th of any month would find much support, it being plainly loopy, whereas were someone to say, "Why not 1 July?" the counterarguments would be much less forceful.

As for your pedantry, I live and breathe pedantry. I've been called worse than a pedant. You get a pass.

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quarter days were based on Saints Days and equinoxes, longest and shortest days - Lady Day in March, Midsummer's Day - summer solstice, Michaelmas and Christmas Day. Lady Day was the start of the new year because it was a good day for year long farming contracts to start - it was one of the big hiring days.

Lady Day also is linked to the Annunciation - and certain Christians thought that should be when the year started.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's still going on ... I found out yesterday via Facebook that a dear friend died while on his annual vacation in Puerto Vallarta. He wasn't as big as Prince or Bowie, but he was a really important part of the local opera / operetta / musical theatre scene for over 50 years - a valued and beloved colleague, teacher, mentor and friend. Unlike some of our other losses in 2016, he had a full and happy life and died in his happy place.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My hope for 2017 is that FB friends will post less newsy articles and more personal stuff.

If I want news articles, I'll watch the news.

#firstworldproblems

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My hope for 2017 is that this fucking thread will die a natural death already, along with anyone who posts after me.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As long as it's a natural death, I can live with that.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being struck by a mile-wide asteroid is natural.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But deeply unfair to the millions of innocent people who will be affected by your vendetta.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

They would probably have posted too.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

orfeo

# 13878

[Killing me]

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Being struck by a mile-wide asteroid is natural.

Ah but broken creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the children of God.

And it aint waiting for you boy

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

East coast of Australia, please God.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She's on the west coast!
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

We're going to need a bigger asteroid.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

[Big Grin]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
[Big Grin]

Don't encourage him. He's one of the people keeping this thread alive!

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016