homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Mesozoic Park (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Mesozoic Park
RooK

Rocky Mountain SLAYER
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
ETA: Ah, here it is!

Wow. The thing that stands out about him, after his monumental ego, is how badly he writes.
That was a fun re-read. What has always stood out for me about him was his profound inability to comprehend written english.

quote:
Originally posted by Palimsest:
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
"Rusty ice-cream spork" has a nice ring to it.

Why can't you call a spade a spade?
Well, after about 1928 it started having the problematic similarity to a racial slur in the US. Plus, if your personal philosophy has some alignment with Oscar Wilde's, there is the thought that those who insist on "calling a spade a spade" are those who probably have to use them due to mental limitations.
Posts: 14944 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Tiger alert! Tiger alert!

What? Where!??
Dammit, Dave, your tiger hardly counts. It's ironic. It's a hipstertiger. Like, it needs chunky glasses, a tissue-thin scarf, and v-neck American Apparel tee to show off its three chest hairs.

Anyway, the whole tiger thing jumped the shark after I wore it for about a week. It's mainstream now. So. Over.

[ 07. January 2017, 06:29: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6807 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Didn't J have "Queen of Hell" as her tagline for a while? I seem to remember a hilarious Hell thread about that too, which she handled with panache.

quote:
Yes! As i recall she was also chief bully out prime bully or comparable. "Prime Bully and Queen of Hell." Something very like that. A direct quote of TDF of course.

Queen of Hell for Dumb Fuck sounds like a good deal to me.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 11889 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Gallica officinalis
Shipmate
# 3886

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Gallica officinalis   Email Rosa Gallica officinalis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:

There was another Fr Gregory mini form (London based) orthodoxen who was a rather holy soul. I had some very profound discussions with him. Can't for the life of me recall his name though.

Was that Otyetsforma? He was wonderful- a Canadian who had moved to England, been a CofE vicar & became Orthodox when he retired. He lived in Oxford but served a church in London. We met at a shipmeet in Thame, when he was in his 80s. He had recently inherited a significant sum from his sister in Canada, and as he had no need of it he treated us (about 6-8 shipmates) to lunch in a very nice restaurant.

--------------------
Come for tea, come for tea, my people.

Posts: 859 | From: The Hemlock Hideout | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Part of the danger of arguing all the difficult people off the ship is you end up with non - difficult people. No grit no oyster. Yes they drive you mad but they also are what has made us. They worst draw out the best, it's why I like RooK.

Secondly it is very rare that anyone ever "wins" an argument on the whole internet never mind on the ship. For me winning these days is less about; "Ha I win, I am RIGHT." And more about , the funny, the poetry, the Grace and maybe even the sneaky Glory. And that comes out more when the community is "eclectic."

[ 07. January 2017, 14:30: Message edited by: Pyx_e ]

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9771 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
They worst draw out the best, it's why I like RooK.

You draw RooK out do you?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's a hipstertiger.

Hipstiger. Perfect opportunity for true word art and you cannot see it. [Disappointed]
BTW, something is over by the time you've noticed it.
You are so hipstarn't.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 15491 | From: out of the corner of your eye | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pyx-e
quote:
Part of the danger of arguing all the difficult people off the ship is you end up with non - difficult people. No grit no oyster. Yes they drive you mad but they also are what has made us. They worst draw out the best, it's why I like RooK
Surely the oyster is there whether you have grit or not? What matters is the pearl.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 218 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Gallica officinalis:
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:

There was another Fr Gregory mini form (London based) orthodoxen who was a rather holy soul. I had some very profound discussions with him. Can't for the life of me recall his name though.

Was that Otyetsforma? He was wonderful- a Canadian who had moved to England, been a CofE vicar & became Orthodox when he retired. He lived in Oxford but served a church in London. We met at a shipmeet in Thame, when he was in his 80s. He had recently inherited a significant sum from his sister in Canada, and as he had no need of it he treated us (about 6-8 shipmates) to lunch in a very nice restaurant.
Thank you! I was looking for him on the Landlocked thread in All Saints. I met him at a Toronto shipmeet. He was very good conversation. Has he gone unto glory?
Posts: 346 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Max was planked while I was doing a long spell wandering ashore. Father Gregory is one I kind of miss. Bingo not a bit, nor The Boy Priest or Fiddlebitch.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5583 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly, thanks for digging out that old thread! I miss Sarkycow - how dare she go and get a life...

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 9856 | From: The Wee North | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
Max was planked while I was doing a long spell wandering ashore.

EAT IT NOW!

--------------------
God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean. --Acts 10:28

Posts: 62010 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Max was planked while I was doing a long spell wandering ashore. Father Gregory is one I kind of miss. Bingo not a bit, nor The Boy Priest or Fiddlebitch.

Maybe Max should return - he's changed.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 22746 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Musing happily to self... A heartwarming thread on a freezing cold winter day, recalling Alice Roosevelt Longworth's, "If you can't say something good about someone, sit right here by me", (sometimes attributed to Dorothy Parker). Apologies for the interruption.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 802 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pyx_e, Rook. Get a room. I miss IngoB too. But he knew he was on to a loser.

[ 07. January 2017, 17:59: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 15539 | From: More Corieltauvi than Dobunni now. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Part of the danger of arguing all the difficult people off the ship is you end up with non - difficult people.

Sorry. I'll flounce. Actually I have enough difficulty with ratshit arseholes in the allegedly real life™ world of my former day job to rark up the nasties on the ship. So I'll remain a meepy dweeb.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18499 | From: scarily close to 40° | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
RooK

Rocky Mountain SLAYER
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by a shithead:
They[sic] worst draw out the best, it's why I like RooK.

I see what you did there. One year we should meet up and not have a drink together.

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Maybe Max should return - he's changed.

HA HA HA HA HA HA!
I really should publish the ongoing exchanges with Max. from a couple years back when we were re-evaluating his petition to return. Antisocial Personality Disorder doesn't change much.

Your perspective on reality never fails to underwhelm, leo.

Posts: 14944 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Part of the danger of arguing all the difficult people off the ship is you end up with non - difficult people. No grit no oyster. Yes they drive you mad but they also are what has made us. They worst draw out the best, it's why I like RooK.

Sure. And my life was more exciting when the local arsonist used to regularly try to burn my house down. He made me more alert and agile.

[ 07. January 2017, 20:48: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 17862 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

Sure. And my life was more exciting when the local arsonist used to regularly try to burn my house down. He made me more alert and agile.
Don't be a tool.

How many of these difficult people are maliciously setting out to harm us? The closest I can think of is curiousbuddhist and even then it was a result of some health issues. (I am post hurricane Joanne).

The majority of these people have different opinions and may struggle to express them. They may have some personal health or personality issues or views that make it harder for them to express themselves in this medium. Or they simply may press our triggers.

There is a difference between being a shithead and a malicious shithead.

I have learned an awful lot from the people here I share very little in common with.

And Pyx_e, welcome back my favourite non malicious shithead.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, there is a difference between being a shithead and being a malicious shithead.

There is also a difference in consciously deciding to continue being a shithead after you've been explicitly told that the rest of the community perceives you to be a shithead.

There is also a difference in deciding that you quite enjoy the effects of being a shithead.

Somewhere in Ingo's brain, to pick my own bete noire, there might well have been a notion that being a shithead was the right and noble thing to do, a calling from God. A calling so directly from God that it was truer than anything a mere Pope might say, never mind a Shipmate.

And that helps, how? When nothing can be done to steer someone away from being a shithead, for years and years, is everyone else supposed to just say "he doesn't really mean anything by it"? "It's just his way"?

A common trope these days with fictional supervillains is that they want to destroy the world and kill almost everyone so they can make a new better world. Well gee, how noble. In that case, go ahead. Your MOTIVES for mass murder are in service of a higher cause.

And to pick an extreme real life case, Anders Breivik was defending traditional Norwegian heritage and culture, as a "cultural Christian". And so massacring young people from the political party that encouraged immigration was, well, it was the right thing to do!

If an arsonist has an uncontrollable compulsion to set fire to things, they're not being malicious. But they're still going to burn my house down.

[ 07. January 2017, 21:43: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry that's far too deep and crisp and perceptive and sharp and felt for the Fifth Circle, Wrath per se. Dis within the Fifth perhaps: for sins that philosophy and humanism cannot fully understand.

Hmmm. More than Dante there are echoes of Milton's central character in Paradise Lost about IngoB. A lofty tragic offendedness at being cast down among such poltroons.

[ 07. January 2017, 23:55: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 15539 | From: More Corieltauvi than Dobunni now. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

Rocky Mountain SLAYER
# 1852

The thing is, people and ideas are not static with respect to each other. And, fundamentally, the differentiation of the two is absolutely necessary for a society to flourish.

Ideas need to be tested, and mistrusted until they withstand some reasonable scrutiny. A brutal culling of weak ideas is the machinery of reason. By exposing ourselves to many ideas, we get to reap the benefits of testing them against each other and thereby improving our understandings. Meanwhile, while people are one of the ways that ideas are carried, it helps if they're afforded some basic respect and forgiveness for sometimes not being right.

And that's what Bingo consistently got wrong. He only ever cared about the ideas, but not in finding the right ones - only finding ways to bludgeon others with his ideas as effectively as possible. It is possible he would not care if other people existed attached to the keyboards providing "debate practice". I valued his presence because I valued testing his ideas, but there's no denying that he was a shitty-ass person.

Sometimes I worry that we scare away people who disagree with some of us. But then I look at how little we agree with each other - other than on the value of being decent fucking people. And it seems obvious that what we scare away are mostly just shitty people.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:

There is a difference between being a shithead and a malicious shithead.

What orfeo said about that. If I punch you for practice or with malice, it kinda won't matter to you. And If I don't stop after you ask me to, the motive doesn't matter.

As far as difficulty communicating, this is a discussion site. Kinda need to learn to communicate on one of these things. The effort must be bi-directional.

I am far more odd than Martin60 pretends to be, and I manage.

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:

Sometimes I worry that we scare away people who disagree with some of us. But then I look at how little we agree with each other - other than on the value of being decent fucking people. And it seems obvious that what we scare away are mostly just shitty people.

Every time someone accuses SOF of being an echo-chamber, I remember the people I argue with here, sometimes quite vehemently. And with people I like not only the wastes of space like beano and romanidiot.

--------------------

Posts: 15491 | From: out of the corner of your eye | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Such a quaint thread.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9467 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel nostalgic about the old days of the Ship of Fools, but it's more algia than nostra. A few of those rocks had pointy bits. But Pyx_e is saying something important here, girls and boys, along with Patdys. Any contributor leaving is a loss, howsoever unpopular and disruptive they may have been.

So, why do they go, when not planked? I wonder if some of the old bastards RooK misses might feel a bit like me when they drift off. This is best described as a cross between the remorse of a motherfucker hangover after the office party in which one lies dying in one's whisky sweating meningitic fug trying to work out if it was only a dream that one slobbily hit on the boss's wife whilst everyone else watched with an expression of sober contempt, and the dazed embarassment of a reprogrammed escaped cult member looking in from the outside and realising what the fuck happened whilst secretly missing the orgies.

One mostly lurks, in that case, and finds the New Heavy Host-Lite style too off-putting.

(Sending love to Sine).

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7521 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Any contributor leaving is a loss, howsoever unpopular and disruptive they may have been. So, why do they go, when not planked?

quote:
And it seems obvious that what we scare away are mostly just shitty people.

Shipmates I know personally who have jumped ship told me they did so because they felt they were being ignored. And they are definitely not shitty people.

Discussion has swirled in the past about those who are perceived as the Ship's "in crowd." Ironically, some Shipmates who have disappeared into the deep blue sea are those who were considered members of that very same "in crowd." I won't name names here.

--------------------
"We're not in Wonderland anymore, Alice." – Charles Manson

Posts: 9827 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Cosa as in nostra then too Yorick?

IngoB lost. He quit he was behind on postmodernism.

--------------------
Love wins

RooK

Rocky Mountain SLAYER
# 1852

Heh, I said "mostly" for a reason.

As for those that leave not out of fear, there are a multitude of factors shifting attention away from discussion boards.

But I hear what you're saying - Yorick and Miss Amanda. And I won't argue that you're very wrong.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Started reading this thinking it was the Ship's Ouija Board, careful who you summon up - even CB and Joanne get a mention eventually. But most of the recent dragons have been very tame by comparison, maybe the Ouija Board is losing its power? There could be a banning amnesty. It could make life the right sort of exciting - choppy waters instead of a tsunami, you never know.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34499 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So, why do they go, when not planked?

For the same reason I do not post as often as I did. The Ship is not my life, but it has become part of my lifestyle, something to be balanced along with all the other less enjoyable stuff, like w*rk and f*m*ly.

--------------------
Fearfully and wonderfully mad

ن
blog

Posts: 8535 | From: Proxima b | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
balaam, are you sure you meant to say your family was less enjoyable than the Ship?

Yorick, Facebook and Twitter, plus all the more recent manifestations such as Whatsapp, Snapchat and all the rest, have all happened since the Ship began. Lots of the people who aren't here are spending their time elsewhere on social media, or occupied by their young children with the partners they met through the Ship. When the Ship first began these sorts of bulletin boards were the way of getting in contact with like minded people. These days there are lots of other ways.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13128 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Shipmates I know personally who have jumped ship told me they did so because they felt they were being ignored. And they are definitely not shitty people.

Discussion has swirled in the past about those who are perceived as the Ship's "in crowd." Ironically, some Shipmates who have disappeared into the deep blue sea are those who were considered members of that very same "in crowd." I won't name names here.

Ok, so what do you mean by ignored? I cannot speak for everyone, obvi, but I have felt that. Still do at times.
I think it is a by-product of a group dynamic that attention will be uneven and seemingly random. Especially in a medium such as this where small bits of written word are all the representation/information we have of each other.
IMO, this forum is actually easier for the odd to exist in than the face to face world. The limited structure reduces the variables, simplifies the "rules" one must observe to fit in.
That said, what could be done differently? This is a real question and concern.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Any contributor leaving is a loss, howsoever unpopular and disruptive they may have been. So, why do they go, when not planked?

quote:
And it seems obvious that what we scare away are mostly just shitty people.

Plenty of my posts have been ignored, while others have been replied to in selective fashion. However, it's up to other people whether they engage with me, my posts of every part of my posts. No one has any right to response here or elsewhere on social media.

In the words of Erin, maybe some should pull their big gurl panties up, and get with it.

(x-posted with lilBuddha)

[ 08. January 2017, 18:32: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

Posts: 23625 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
lilBuddha - I think this feeling of being ignored is when posts aren't responded to and the discussion goes on without any acknowledgement, from my own emotional response from trying to interact on a thread. Lots of interaction on threads gets ignored because people just answer the post they are responding to because they disagree, or quote from a representative response rather than answering every single post on a thread, because when that happens it gets very clunky.

But after thread after thread without a response feels as if you're being ignored, even if it's because people are agreeing with you, passing on and just debating with the posters they don't agree with.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13128 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To me, what gets forgotten far too often in Purg and sometimes elsewhere is that this is supposed to be a community, not simply a talking shop. My strong sense is that my posts are only engaged with in Purgatory to the extent that I forget this myself. I dislike this intensely, for all I do enjoy debate. Debate is not of itself a reliable means by which to build community, and I fear that this latter process is being neglected.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 1932 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

In the words of Erin, maybe some should pull their big gurl panties up, and get with it.

I was rather trying to avoid such terminology. Whilst there is, and should be, an element of that, no form of meaningful communication is one-way. IMO, the community does owe responsibility towards its members and should be about welcoming and maintaining that welcome in as far as reasonable.
I think SOF mostly does. But not perfectly, not without the possibility of betterment.

CK,
Yeah, that is the kind of ignore I was speaking of and, I think, the kind Miss Amanda was as well. But I ask because it might not be.
I would add also: posters responding to a point one has made only after another person makes it. This can add to that feeling as well. There are a number of cues that can engender such a feeling. I do not think it practical or reasonable to try to address all of them, all of the time.

And I have been on the other end as well, accused of ignoring because I did not acknowledge a reply/confirmation/similar thought.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Responding to everything said by everybody is simply not practical.

Part of Facebook's success is due to the fact that the Like button enables people to be given the validation of being "heard" without any effort. But around here, a bunch of posts that did nothing more than "Like" previous posts would most likely derail the process.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
CK,
Yeah, that is the kind of ignore I was speaking of and, I think, the kind Miss Amanda was as well. But I ask because it might not be. I would add also: posters responding to a point one has made only after another person makes it. This can add to that feeling as well.

Yes, that's my understanding of what people have told me. I've felt it too at times, plus what lilB has added -- especially that, in fact.

But it hasn't made me jump ship. Oh, I've gone off to my cabin below deck and sulked, sometimes, when I've been attacked, especially when I've felt I'd been attacked unfairly, but I've always gotten over it eventually.

--------------------
"We're not in Wonderland anymore, Alice." – Charles Manson

Posts: 9827 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

Part of Facebook's success is due to the fact that the Like button enables people to be given the validation of being "heard" without any effort. But around here, a bunch of posts that did nothing more than "Like" previous posts would most likely derail the process.

Not what I am suggesting. What am I suggesting? I haven't a clue.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Started reading this thinking it was the Ship's Ouija Board, careful who you summon up - even CB and Joanne get a mention eventually. But most of the recent dragons have been very tame by comparison, maybe the Ouija Board is losing its power? There could be a banning amnesty. It could make life the right sort of exciting - choppy waters instead of a tsunami, you never know.

*like*

[Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12177 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
balaam, are you sure you meant to say your family was less enjoyable than the Ship?

Ms killed ... please turn on irony detector.

--------------------
Fearfully and wonderfully mad

ن
blog

Posts: 8535 | From: Proxima b | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
quote:
Tiger alert! Tiger alert!

What? Where!??
Dammit, Dave, your tiger hardly counts. It's ironic. It's a hipstertiger. Like, it needs chunky glasses, a tissue-thin scarf, and v-neck American Apparel tee to show off its three chest hairs.
I prefer to consider it an homage.

(And no, that's not my pennyfarthing, I've never seen it before.)

Posts: 1918 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Max was planked while I was doing a long spell wandering ashore.

EAT IT NOW!
I sometimes hear that in my head when someone receives a host and looks as if they don't know what to do with it!

And some magic has happened on this thread, as I understood Martin's post without recourse to a dictionary of philosophy.

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:

And see, just because my post was straight after yours, you think I was responding to you?

I wasn't.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
HELLO, HELLO, MR ADMIN PERSON, HELLO, I HAVE SOMETHING VERY IMPORTANT TO SAY, LISTEN PLEASE, OKAY! PLEASE, WILL YOU ALL STOP IGNORING MY POSTS! REPLY TO ME! WHAT DOES A UNICORN HAVE TO DO TO GET SOME FRIGGIN' ATTENTION AROUND HERE! I'M ON FIRE, FOR CHRISSAKE! FIRE, PEOPLE! FIRE!

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6807 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No sign of Wood yet unfortunately.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Too many trees.

--------------------
Citizen of the world.

Posts: 31514 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

The washing machine's playing up.9

--------------------
Love wins

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Too many trees.

Ba-dum tiss.

--------------------
God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean. --Acts 10:28

Posts: 62010 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:

quote:

quote:
And see, just because my post was straight after yours, you think I was responding to you?

I wasn't.

Like.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016