homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Michael Nazir-Ali: go stick your head back whence it came (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Michael Nazir-Ali: go stick your head back whence it came
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't 2% well below the level at which we tend to discount survey results as reflecting the people taking the piss out of the survey questions? Usually there's a about 10% of the population that will agree to any proposition no matter how ridiculous.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't think it was all that contentious to say that some clergy are atheists. It's been a topic for debate for a long time. In the USA there's a whole support network for those who remain in their posts and keep their beliefs hidden.

I won't post links since this is Hell, not Purg, and it's off-topic anyway. The point is that our churches are pluralistic, and in some parts of the country, this could well mean that different faith groups begin to worship together as well as simply having polite conversations with each other. Who knows?

In Berlin they're building a 'House of One', a structure in which Christians, Jews and Muslims will worship separately, but clearly with a shared ethos. The name itself suggests some shared theological thinking.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Atheist/agnostic priests sound very odd to me, holding an office (and presumably being paid for it) while not believing in the basis for that office. Still, it is consistent with those bishops who announced their future swim of the Tiber but took pay for the next couple of months from the C of E.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I'm sure there exist clergy who have lost their faith and feel trapped or somehow feel they should be able to continue in post. What I doubt is any sense that this is expected or widely tolerated within any major British Christian denomination. The former Bishop of Edinburgh, Richard Holloway, is a classic example - only revealing the full extent of his difficulties after he retired.
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
Nah, she's a goofball. Her bishop wound up inhibiting her.

And she has apparently since been defrocked:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Holmes_Redding

I think that was an entirely appropriate response, but I'm not sure I'd call her a "goofball". It sounds like she had a profound spiritual experience and tried to reconcile it with her existing faith. I do think she's wrong, however - you can only be Christian and Muslim if you fudge one or both of them so profoundly as to be unrecognisable.

Well, presumably she had enough of a theological education to understand the distinctness and opposition of Muslim and Christian truth claims. In fact, anyone with the most elementary understanding of logic will instantly see that the two religions are not compatible in the way she thinks they are. The Christian belief that Jesus is God incarnate and the Muslim belief that Jesus is purely human cannot be made to harmonize.

And she seems not to have seen fit to take her bishop into confidence about the matter, which is either disobedient or dumb. So I stand by "goofball."

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nazir-Ali is at is again: go to the GAFCON UK website (we should always attempt to understand our enemy) and you will find his "critique" of the Bishops' Report - you may find it useful to have a bowl or motion-discomfort bag handy.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
(we should always attempt to understand our enemy)

Problem is, after doing that I really feel the need to take a shower.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016