homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Trumpton (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Trumpton
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can tell you that Americans are fully aware, about 60 percent of the population at least, and we are trying to do something about it. We cannot however just throw the rascal out. Not yet.

Since November I myself have:
knitted a dozen pussyhats, will knit more
called at the offices of both my Senator and congressman to express my concerns
mailed, emailed and phoned representatives
joined both Planned Parenthood and the ACLU
joined action groups on line
marched in Washington DC on January 21
plan to march on April 15 and April 22
looked into running for office (not on, in my navy-blue district)
am actually running for vestry (next best thing)

Any other suggestions are welcome.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:

You've done/are doing a lot, Brenda! Just one more suggestion... see my signature. (I've got 200 postcards ready to drop in a mailbox on Wednesday.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I have a couple right here. They're addressed but I haven't yet decided which of the plethora of issues I want to address on them. So many possibilities!

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
200 postcards is no where near enough, even with two or three issues on each card.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I can tell you that Americans are fully aware, about 60 percent of the population at least, and we are trying to do something about it. We cannot however just throw the rascal out. Not yet.

Since November I myself have:
knitted a dozen pussyhats, will knit more
called at the offices of both my Senator and congressman to express my concerns
mailed, emailed and phoned representatives
joined both Planned Parenthood and the ACLU
joined action groups on line
marched in Washington DC on January 21
plan to march on April 15 and April 22
looked into running for office (not on, in my navy-blue district)
am actually running for vestry (next best thing)

Many people have sent donations to Planned Parenthood in Mike Pence's name, ensuring that he is listed as a generous donor, and will receive a tax receipt for his generosity. No doubt he will feel obliged to declare that to the public in the interests of transparency.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Planned Parenting one is really funny, and sad.

Thanks for the reassurance that this is moving along. The guy will probably be out of office when?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tomorrow isn't soon enough.

I was in full eye-roll mode when the orange one was lauded for his 'presidential' speech to Congress. Why are people patting him on the back for doing what should be expected? I know. It's just a rhetorical question.

Leon Panetta has been on the TV quite a lot recently stating how dangerous t's tweets are. If it's accepted that he is not really to be believed, then what happens if there's a real emergency? People will laugh and say, "It's just Trump. Pay no mind."?

It's so frustrating seeing this buffoon acting like a spoiled three-year-old every day. Are we the only ones suspecting he's missing some marbles?

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to add, I'm not a Leon Panetta fan. He has been around the block a few times, however.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

If you donate to Planned Parenthood in Mike Pence's name he gets a thank-you letter. I bet they have it saved in their programs, and print out the correct number every day. You, the person with the money, get the tax deduction however. So donate away!

We joined the ACLU in January. My husband did it on line, and reported that there was no swag left. All the branded items in the on-line store were sold out; there were no tee shirts, mugs, mouse pads, etc. left in stock. PP has has a huge boost in membership as well. We also joined AARP (the American Association of Retired Persons) because they're rabid pit bulls on elder issues like Social Security and Medicare. And we are now discussing joining the League of Women Voters.

--------------------

molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So remind me, what is so great about Planned Parenthood?

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They provide various types of health care and contraception for women at very low cost (maybe even no cost in some cases?).

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a General Abortion Thread in DH, where anyone so inclined can answer that question...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Except it is Pigwidgeon's point that Planned Parenthood is soo much more than abortion.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. But our more, er, 'conservative' posters will get stuck on one point, and that point doesn't need thrashing out here.

Just trying to head trouble off at the pass.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Got this in my head.

Scott Pruitt
Claims man didn't do it
More research is needed
(But will research be heeded?)
We're all going to rue it.

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The new Health Care Bill has gotten Congressional Budget OFfice analysis and it's pretty horrible. The one consolation is that it takes health care coverage away most heavily from parts of the population who voted for Trump.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
The new Health Care Bill has gotten Congressional Budget OFfice analysis and it's pretty horrible. The one consolation is that it takes health care coverage away most heavily from parts of the population who voted for Trump.

Except many will blame the original Affordable Care Act. You can bet that is what the politicians will do.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

It also bobs out a lot of health care for women.

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It does many bad things. But the Trump fans complaining that it's Obama's fault is going to stop when they die without medical coverage.
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, the Obama administrations behaved in such a despicable way. Providing a means for people to obtain a basic, and often inadequate, level of healthcare which had previously been beyond their means - only to have that small boon snatched from them by the Trump administration. What right did Obama have in giving people a glimpse of what they could have if only they were wealthy knowing that a Republican administration would deny them of that?

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It does many bad things. But the Trump fans complaining that it's Obama's fault is going to stop when they die without medical coverage.

If they're dead, they won't be in a position to complain about anything, surely?

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am the only one who felt very excited when faced with the headline “Trump’s tax return leaked” and was then cruelly disappointed after clicking through to the actual article?

I have some sympathy for the view that he leaked it himself. It’s the recent ones someone needs to leak. Taken that he is quite possibly the most shameless human being on the planet, what could possibly be so embarrassing that even he doesn’t want anyone to see them?

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I would bet anything that it is not merely embarrassing. Why would the PussyGrabber care about mere embarrassment? He has no shame anyway; he has done far worse things and you can view it on videotape. I cannot imagine what would shame him, and I have a good imagination.
No. There is criminal evidence in there, probably fraud or tax evasion. He -cannot- let those returns out. For our part we may hope that this is the tiny rift in the lute that will, by and by, make the blatting and sputtering mute.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Has anyone checked his microwave? Perhaps they can find his more recent returns there.

Better yet, maybe he has one of these spying on him.

[Eek!]

--------------------
~Tortuf

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So let me see if I understand this correctly...

Madbrows big scoop was that Trump paid most of 40 million dollars in federal income tax in a single year?

And as cover for their idiocy the suggestion is floated that Trump himself leaked the returns? A tacit admission that they may have been completely trolled?

That is a rare level of genius right there...

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would appear that the tax return that has been unearthed is the only one in recent years that he has paid anything at all - as well as being the one with the largest income. That second part is probably what embarrasses Trump, and the real reason why he's been so coy with his returns.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Hah! He's just a millionaire. Peasant.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
It would appear that the tax return that has been unearthed is the only one in recent years that he has paid anything at all - as well as being the one with the largest income. That second part is probably what embarrasses Trump, and the real reason why he's been so coy with his returns.

I was thinking along similar lines. What is it that he would actually want to hide?

He's made no secret of the his admiration for people who manage to avoid tax through off-shore accounts and other measures. So, if his tax returns show a large income with low tax by such avoidance schemes he'd be using them to boast about his own cleverness.

If his tax returns show illegal tax avoidance, rather than clever use of legal loop-holes, then I'm sure the IRS would have been all over him long ago.

But, he's made a big thing of his business prowess (and, how that makes him suitable to be President - as though CEO and President are even similar). If his tax returns show that his businesses have not resulted in a substantial income, that he's struggling to maintain a multi-millionaire lifestyle on limited income ... well, that would be a massive embarrassment.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Keep in mind that what was released was not a full tax return...just a fragment of one. Two pages, without supporting forms etc. Heck, I earn just a small fraction of what Trump (allegedly) reported on the return and my return is way more than 2 pages long. When people have been demanding to see his returns, what is wanted are those other pages: showing what he actually paid to charitable organizations (and which ones) and listing actual sources of income rather than just the total amount. That information is not presented on these 2 pages.

And that is assuming that these 2 pages are legit. The White House has not denied that they are his returns, but honestly unless the pages come from the IRS I wonder if they aren't just made-up sheets to sucker in stupid reporters who would rather be first on the air with news than actually verify sources.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I watched the full episode last night. Yes, there was not a lot newsworthy in the tax return itself, and yes the speculation was raised there as well that Trump himself leaked the return-- probably because 2005 was the best (least incriminating) return he had, so by leaking it dramatically so it turns out a bust he hopes to take the heat off the more recent returns and whatever they may hide.

But what was interesting in the program was the argument Maddow made for why it was important to see those more recent returns-- to address charges of conflict of interest. She presented circumstantial evidence of what could very well be money laundering for Russian oligarchs in more recent land deals. I found, as always, her investigative reporting and argumentation quite sound.

I just hope MSNBC is providing her with good security, including a food taster.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

quote:
Originally posted by JonahMan:
quote:

If they're dead, they won't be in a position to complain about anything, surely?
Yes. That was my point. Glad you figured it out.
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unless that fragment of a tax return is authenticated by the IRS - which it won't be - it has no value whatsoever. Anyone can download the form, fill it in and send it off to a gullible TV station. It may be genuine, but there's absolutely nothing to prove it, unless we are all content with the assurance from donald fart's staff. There's no way to know that that's what was actually submitted and never amended. This isn't news - just another diversion.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
I wonder if they aren't just made-up sheets to sucker in stupid reporters.

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
But what was interesting in the program was the argument Maddow made for why it was important to see those more recent returns. . . . I found, as always, her investigative reporting and argumentation quite sound.

Rachel Maddow is probably the most intelligent and thoughtful broacast magazine moderator on cable today. Her stories always seem to be carefully researched, fact-checked and written. She is far from being a "stupid reporter" who can be "suckered in."

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
I wonder if they aren't just made-up sheets to sucker in stupid reporters.

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
But what was interesting in the program was the argument Maddow made for why it was important to see those more recent returns. . . . I found, as always, her investigative reporting and argumentation quite sound.

Rachel Maddow is probably the most intelligent and thoughtful broacast magazine moderator on cable today. Her stories always seem to be carefully researched, fact-checked and written. She is far from being a "stupid reporter" who can be "suckered in."

Agreed-- and I would add "courageous" to the list of adjectives.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She's not just smart; she went to Stanford and got a Rhodes Scholarship and her PhD from fucking Oxford. She always provides background and context and history. And she's funny. There really isn't anyone in media to compare with her.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So has anyone heard anything about the effectiveness of the Ides of Trump postcard mail-in campaign? Was the White House mail room overwhelmed, as had been hoped? Or hasn't the Postal Service gotten around to delivering them yet?

I haven't seen anything on the news about it.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

If I were the PGinChief I would instruct the White House mail room to not breathe a word about them. A black hole of news, with nothing coming out. If nothing is said, no news is made, eh?

You can bet your life that he'll never look at them, he not being known for reading anything. But the WH volunteers will have to tabulate them all.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile, apparently, MI6 was spying on Trump.

Because, y'know, we've got nothing better to do than waste time wiring the kitchen appliances in Trump Towers on the off-chance we might hear something of value... about his (failing) businesses or his reality TV shows or golf tournaments.

Oh but wait, he doesn't go in the kitchen does he? That's what his women are for.

--------------------
arse

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought trumpasoreass rex's discussion of wiretapping, well, I don't know what to think because it....

Wiretap conspiracy theory

quote:
I had been reading about things. I read in – I think it was January 20th, a New York Times article where they were talking about wiretapping. There was an article, I think they used that exact term. I read other things. I watched your friend Bret Baier the day previous, where he was talking about certain, very complex sets of things happening, and wiretapping. I said “Wait a minute, there’s a lot of wiretapping being talked about.” I have been seeing a lot of things.

[ 16. March 2017, 19:51: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Every time Trump blathers about something he's seen or read, I wonder if he's been told that as President, he has access to many other sources of information besides cable news and crackpot websites .... it reminds me of a joke from a Bond movie:

quote:
James Bond: Are these pictures live?

M: Unlike the American government, we prefer not to get our bad news from CNN.

Goldeneye

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
THing is, SOror Magna, all those other sources are corrupt liberal lying sources, from the FBI and the CIA right on down. He simply can't trust anything they say, because he knows in his heart that they are wrong.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

The news has had some almost funny aspects for most of this week - and I offer up thanks every day for Kellyanne - but it will be a lot less funny if something serious blows up internationally. The USA will go down like the Titanic if the fart is still in the White House. When a country finds it has nobody in charge, somebody needs to get the message that whatever the due process is, it needs to be invoked urgently to rid itself of this intellectually stunted, paranoid weakling.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I can say that I have contributed to this.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I followed a link from there to find that some guy called Mulvaney reckons it's compassionate to cut funding for Meals on Wheels.
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sean Spicer's defence of the indefensible was just about the most ludicrous performance by a White House spokesperson that I have ever seen. And the GCHQ allegation is truly ridiculous. It has provoked an unprecedented statement to that effect from the agency.

Trump's interview with Tucker Carlson was a classic example of the blundering incoherence of which he is capable when doubling down on some nonsense he has tweeted. But to see a loyal White House spokesperson multiplying the chaos is to see just how much disease and chaos can be created by the dark side of Trump's peculiar personality.

Spicer is forced to be loyal I suppose. It's that or resign. But I think he should resign for the sake of his own sanity.

What was it Ziegler, Nixon's Press Secretary said? "All previous statements are inoperative", I think. Yes, that would do nicely today as well.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GCHQ rebuttal here.

There have been some odd people aiding Mr President at times, cf Donald Rumsfeld, but the current crop make them look sane and reasonable. Then again, contrast Trump and Dubya.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A BBC news bulletin this morning confirmed that the White House has agreed not to repeat the GCHQ allegations. I wonder just who in the White House gave that promise. And I wonder if the Deceiver-in-Chief was consulted.

Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

PS There is now a UK Government Statement, issued by Theresa May's spokesperson. This is what it says.

"We've made it clear to the US administration that these claims (re GCHQ) are ridiculous and should be ignored. We've received assurances that these allegations won't be repeated."

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mind you, there is a part of me thinking that if there is a chance of a bozo like Trump getting the job, we would want to find out all we can about him. It is what security agencies are for. I'm sure the CIA checked Theresa May for more than shoe size.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

It was interesting to see that the allegation disappeared from the NY Times and Washington Post website front pages very quickly this morning. On the other hand, as someone pointed out on the BBC, why the hell would anyone bother to wiretap donald fart when he does such a good job of it himself with Twitter?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016