homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Trumpton (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Trumpton
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The cynical part of me (ie, all of me) notes that the GCHQ denial lacks an actual denial. Yes, the allegations are ridiculous and nonsense. But where is the 'no, we didn't do that' bit?

I'll be over here, folding the tinfoil into hats.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
And I followed a link from there to find that some guy called Mulvaney reckons it's compassionate to cut funding for Meals on Wheels.

There's been a lot of comment about this, since it is a program that just about everybody supports. Volunteers bringing meals to elderly shut-ins, what's not to like? I'm not sure what they mean when they say the program has not delivered results. Oldsters not dying in gutters is not a result? And analysis shows that bringing in meals (which are volunteer, remember, so that the Federal funding is merely organizational dollars) saves a ton of money in old people not having to go into nursing homes.

And I will just mention that it is the oldster cohort which is the most reliable voting bloc.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yet more evidence that the US 'Government' is descending further into a maelstrom of madness...

[Disappointed]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a free click article better summarizing the Meals on Wheels brouhaha.

What is sad, in addition to dropping grannies out to starve, is the political ham-handedness of it all. This is not rocket science; Ebenezer Scrooge has never been a winning role model and it has never paid off, to target the elderly. Politicians have rightly feared the granny for years. And they're going to learn a sharp nasty lesson now.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
The cynical part of me (ie, all of me) notes that the GCHQ denial lacks an actual denial. Yes, the allegations are ridiculous and nonsense. But where is the 'no, we didn't do that' bit?

I'll be over here, folding the tinfoil into hats.

Well, I am not an expert rhetorician, but how much daylight is there, really, between saying the "recent allegations" are "nonsense" and "utterly ridiculous and should be ignored", and saying "We didn't do those things"?

(Now, taking a swig of Kool-Aid...)

Looked at in a certain way, Spicer's statement, citing Napolitano, can be construed as saying numerous things, including...

1. The CIA didn't bug Trump.

2. The NSA didn't bug Trump.

3. The Department Of Defense didn't bug Trump.

4. Only GCHQ bugged Trump.

I suppose that, if it were proven at some point in the future that GCHQ had, in fact, bugged Trump, AND that one or more of the other agencies had had some involvement, the GCHQ could fall back on "Well, we never explicitly said that we never bugged Trump, the 'nonsense' we were referring to was the idea that no one else was involved."

[ 17. March 2017, 15:03: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The other logical out is, they weren't bugging the PGinC. They weren't miking Trump Tower. What they were eavesdropping on is the Russians, which I trust and hope they often do. That the Russians were talking to Lyin' Don is but a detail.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Mind you, there is a part of me thinking that if there is a chance of a bozo like Trump getting the job, we would want to find out all we can about him. It is what security agencies are for. I'm sure the CIA checked Theresa May for more than shoe size.

Everyone spies on everyone. Despite the official cries of "How could you, our friend, spy on us", it is practically official policy. The methods used, and getting caught, are the real issues.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Mind you, there is a part of me thinking that if there is a chance of a bozo like Trump getting the job, we would want to find out all we can about him. It is what security agencies are for. I'm sure the CIA checked Theresa May for more than shoe size.

Everyone spies on everyone. Despite the official cries of "How could you, our friend, spy on us", it is practically official policy. The methods used, and getting caught, are the real issues.
When Robert Kim got busted for spying on the Americans on behalf of his homeland South Korea, he was widely hailed as a hero over here, even among the kind of people who are normally the most pro-American. The attitude was basically "We wanted some info, the US wouldn't give it to us, Kim did, so he's a hero."

LA Times

--------------------

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw the transcript of an interview Trump did (sorry, lost the link) which went along the lines of:

I: So why did you tweet that Obama wiretapped you?

T: Well I heard these words, these ideas about wiretapping.

I: So this was an official intelligence briefing?

T: Sort of, it was on Fox News, and then repeated by a friend of mine.

I: So Fox news alleged that Obama wiretapped you?

T: No - they just mentioned wiretapping. Months ago. And my friend mentioned it again. It reminded me.

I: So nobody actually suggested Obama wiretapped you?

T: No - I am smart, so I worked it out myself. It is what I would have done.

I: You would put an illegal wiretap on a president elect?

T: No, I wouldn't do it myself, of course. But Obama is a worse person than me, so I am sure he would have done it.

I: So you tweeted an accusation against a former president based on the fact that you had heard about wiretapping 6 months previously, and Obama must have done it because he is a bad person?

That seems to have been it.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

OK, this is beyond wonderful. Well worth one of your Washington POST clicks: in which someone at the WH clearly mistakes Alexandra Petri's satirical humor column for Rill Newz and puts it into their daily newsletter.

Apparently they were deceived by the headline of the original humor piece, which runs,“Trump’s budget makes perfect sense and will fix America, and I will tell you why“! Neither hyperbole nor irony is known to the WH press office, it seems.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Neither hyperbole nor irony is known to the WH press office, it seems.

There are lots of other things unknown to the press office, or the current resident of the White House. Decency, honesty, integrity .... a failure to understand hyperbole or irony seems to be minor in comparison.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed, Alan. And Trump is the source of that dishonesty and lack of integrity. Here is a remarkable quote from a NY Times article.

quote:
It’s very easy to have a good meeting with Trump,” said Jeremy Shapiro, a former State Department official who is the research director at the European Council on Foreign Relations in London. “He’s very pleasant in person. He’ll promise you the world. And 48 hours later, he’ll betray you without a thought. He won’t even know he’ll be betraying you.”

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I forgot to link the article which gives the quote.

Not sure if you can all see it without a subscription, but if you can, it is well worth a read. Trump is damaging the Presidency.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trump has missed out on one of life's essential lessons - that to say 'I was wrong' is the strong thing to do. To never admit mistakes shows great weakness.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Trump has missed out on one of life's essential lessons - that to say 'I was wrong' is the strong thing to do. To never admit mistakes shows great weakness.

He can hardly be held up as an example of this. It is practically endemic and regarded as one of the signs of the "robust", ie, aggressive and confrontational, qualities found so widely in politics and business too: it may have started in business and migrated to politics but in both spheres it is now taken that the ends always justify any means.
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

He can hardly be held up as an example of this. It is practically endemic and regarded as one of the signs of the "robust", ie, aggressive and confrontational, qualities found so widely in politics and business too: it may have started in business and migrated to politics but in both spheres it is now taken that the ends always justify any means.
Plus, when politicians do admit to personal failings, it's more often than not along the lines of this exchange Joe Biden had with the media some time in the 2008 campaign...

REPORTER: What would you say is the Number One weakness in your character?

BIDEN: Well, sometimes I think I might be a little too devoted to my job. You spend so much time trying to do what's best for the American people, you wonder if it's taking away from other things like family.

That's not verbatim, but the gist of the answer was indeed that Biden's biggest character flaw is his concern for the American people.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
I forgot to link the article which gives the quote.

Not sure if you can all see it without a subscription, but if you can, it is well worth a read. Trump is damaging the Presidency.

I'd thought the Russians the maddest previous.
quote:
After the news conference, Mr. Spicer echoed Mr. Trump’s unapologetic tone. “I don’t think we regret anything,” he told reporters. “As the president said, I was just reading off media reports.”
This is nothing less than mad.

quote:
Julianne Smith, who was a deputy national security adviser to Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr., said Mr. Trump did not appear to realize how much American intelligence agencies depend on Britain in dealing with threats around the world. “He will probably live to see the day when he will regret firing off such an egregious insult to Britain and then failing to apologize for it,” she said.
No, he won't. He doesn't have the capacity to process it.

[ 18. March 2017, 10:29: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
“As the president said, I was just reading off media reports.”

Spicer must the first of his kind to believe that his job is to be briefed by the media and repeat their fantasies. Even the worst of his predecessors knew otherwise.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:

Spicer must the first of his kind to believe that his job is to be briefed by the media and repeat their fantasies.

Even while calling them liars and scoundrels. It's like the Republicans lay awake at night trying to find new ways to push the boundaries of hypocrisy.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it true that Disney has a trump Musical in the works? An unreformed Shrek plays trumpy, the Donkey plays Spicer.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:

Spicer must the first of his kind to believe that his job is to be briefed by the media and repeat their fantasies.

Even while calling them liars and scoundrels. It's like the Republicans lay awake at night trying to find new ways to push the boundaries of hypocrisy.
Actually, I think they are torn between the massive excitement of a president who will support cutting nearly anything because he literally has no idea how they work and the fear that this could ruin the Republican Party after.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stetson--

Re Biden's flaws:

Actually, that's a standard way of answering that question in job interviews. You respond with something that is actually an asset. Interview books teach it.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Here's an article about the many post cards being sent to the WH this week. And there was another article about how since mid-January there has been a run on poster board, foam core and other sign-making materials, here. These should both be free clicks. I can testify that it is hard to find a skein of pink yarn in the stores.

[ 18. March 2017, 20:01: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Here's an article about the many post cards being sent to the WH this week.

What, precisely, is that supposed to achieve? Self-satisfaction on the part of the senders and those of like mind?

I shouldn't think the cards get beyond the wastebasket of the White House post room.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I would lay long odds that Lyin' Donald never sees a one of them. You can bet that the wise mail room people will simply not mention them to him, to avoid stress; he will certainly never seek them out.
However. The White House systems run traditionally. All mail sent to it is processed somewhere in Maryland, for bombs/poisons/white powders, etc. This is why the drive is for post cards, which pass through more rapidly; you can't enclose a bomb in a post card. Everything is tabulated and logged; so many letters, so many parcels of home-made cookies (never eaten, always disposed of because poison), so many portraits of the president executed in crayon, etc. Everything not perishable is kept, for history; frequently these offerings are housed in the Presidential library -- they need to put something into them, after all. I mailed The PGinC a pussyhat; I selected an acrylic yarn, which I know will last forever. Two hundred years from now wondering historians will look at it and admire how I tucked in the ends.
If the president wants to see his mail he can. Obama, an eminently literate man, had it set up that ten representative letters were passed to him every week, for him to read and answer. He wanted to keep in touch with what people were thinking. The current office holder has Twitter.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My question stands.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
The current office holder has Twitter.
Fitting, as the current office holder is a Twit

Writes because of x-post.
Curse you, Eutychus!

[ 18. March 2017, 20:51: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Edited, not writes.
Curse you autocorrect and time limit!

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
Here's an article about the many post cards being sent to the WH this week.

What, precisely, is that supposed to achieve? Self-satisfaction on the part of the senders and those of like mind?

I shouldn't think the cards get beyond the wastebasket of the White House post room.

Yes. Unless a large number of those postcards are coming from people who voted for Trump but are now upset with how he is governing, he can justifiably dismiss them as of little political significance.

It's a little like the Tea Party during Obama's first term. The media was all like "OMG!! The Tea Party! They're fighting mad and want Obama out!!" Then, in 2012, Obama wins again, and people are like "Huh? What about all those angry Tea Partiers?"

But it didn't occur to those people that the Tea Party was never anything more than a bunch of people who never liked Obama to begin with, now advertising the fact.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Unless a large number of those postcards are coming from people who voted for Trump but are now upset with how he is governing,

Or people who did not vote or stupidly voted for a third-party candidate.

quote:

But it didn't occur to those people that the Tea Party was never anything more than a bunch of people who never liked Obama to begin with, now advertising the fact.

Given the amount of Americans who cannot be arsed to vote, I think it was a legitimate fear that it might be some of those who would actually participate for a change. And, they did get representation in congress in previous elections. Including, Paul "Fuck everyone but the rich" Ryan.

[ 19. March 2017, 02:20: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Voter apathy is all very well when the world is just ticking along fine with no one upsetting anyone much. The Apathy of contentment as a New Labour MP put it after one of their Election victories where low turnout was highlighted.

Problem comes when you get rumblings below decks and someone is in there ready to exploit it. People are inclined to forget that with politics there is always is a representative lurking who can appeal to masses who are afraid, bored shitless or aggrieved in some unspecified way.

[ 19. March 2017, 10:37: Message edited by: rolyn ]

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is the USA going to invade North Korea? Is that his Iraq? Do you suppose president Caligula* will declare it by twitter? Will it just be drones and bombs, or will it also be troops on the ground? Will that justify Muslim travel bans?

Please tell me this all a Jackass movie. That Kurt Vonnegut was wrong. That some of the circles are unbroken. That the better chicken is your mother.

*RNL and AJ quoted this as a Mexican nickname

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Here is an answer for you. When the PGinC speaks, do we take it seriously? Literally? or both? This article suggests that one form we do take seriously, but not literally, is poetry. Which makes Li'l Donny T a surprisingly solid poet. Have a look, it's a free click.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Is the USA going to invade North Korea? ... Will that justify Muslim travel bans?

Of course, we all know that North Korea is a sponsor of Islamic terrorism. The Muslim travel ban will keep all those North Korean agents out of the US.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

I have to think that lying is just food to him. Sois screwing people over. Nourishment. Yum yum. You cannot shame such a man. Those who attempt feel shame when they try. The behaviour is so extreme, when he doesn't accept anything, then they must be hysterical. There is an underlying truth that the act of debating brings its own legitimacy.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Rocinante
Shipmate
# 18541

- Posted      Profile for Rocinante   Email Rocinante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Of course, we all know that North Korea is a sponsor of Islamic terrorism. The Muslim travel ban will keep all those North Korean agents out of the US.

I predict that this quote will soon be used by Sean Spicer at a WH press briefing, attributed to a reliable source. "Many people say..."
Posts: 384 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Meanwhile, Comey and Rogers showed today that facts have power. And, stunningly, Spicer stuck to the stupid White House script re the libellous tweets re Obama.

Will Trump apologise to his predecessor? Current thinking is that Hell will freeze over first. I wonder what he will say instead?

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

But you see aliens tried to bug trumpy by inserting an anal probe. But they couldn't get it in. Too full of sh*t.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This about says it for me. (Should be a free click.) There is a rock-bottom support for the Pussy Grabber that cannot be shaken. There is no point in trying. You made your bed. Lie in it. You've dragged us all down with you, but we don't have to pretend this is good.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Will Trump apologise to his predecessor? Current thinking is that Hell will freeze over first. I wonder what he will say instead?

He'll double and triple down, of course. He always does. And then he'll blame the whole mess on someone else (ooh, shiny!).

Sooner or later this is going to end up in a denouement of such absurdity that the powers-that-sort-of-be will all get together, Republican and Democrat, and quietly hand him over to the doctors.

I open the news every day wondering how much longer. It's morbid, like watching a slo-mo car crash.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The big problem with this charming scenario is the Republicans. They have power now; they won't want to give it up. It will be a long, long day before they admit they were wrong. It will have to get worse; I only hope it won't involve nukes.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They wouldn't be giving it up; they've got Pence still. And at some point the calculation will be that it's better to cut their losses while they still have a hope of reelection than to wait until that's past hope. (Of course, their estimate of exactly when that point is reached will vary from that others see.)

Me, I think it a bit more likely that instead of nukes we will get outright undeniable dementia in a very public situation. I'm thinking almost of the "underpants on head" variety embarrassing. We're almost there now.

[ 21. March 2017, 03:22: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

The speech at the Kentucky rally was 'old'. Fox News have dropped the 'very talented' Napolitano for an indefinite period. Trump's popularity is nosediving. Reality is biting.

I'm not sure whether Ryancare helps him much, even if it passes in the House. Reality is biting there as well.

And then there is North Korea.

This thin skinned, politically inexperienced, flawed human being has a lot on his plate today. I wonder how he will handle it.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I wonder what he will say instead?

Waffle, waffle, prevaricate, blame others, talk complete nonsesnse, big up himself and his 'plans', more waffle, quote fox, evade, lie, mislead ------ squirrel!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by no prophet's flag is set so...
quote:
... aliens tried to bug trumpy by inserting an anal probe. But they couldn't get it in. Too full of sh*t.
[Overused] [Killing me] [Overused] [Killing me] [Overused] [Killing me]

Thank you. I was having a lousy day till I read that.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This is an article from that popular publication around the SoF, Playboy magazine. We all of course read it for the articles, and this one is about the growing movement of Trump Regretters, those who voted for Lyin' Don and then discovered they had been scammed.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The big problem with this charming scenario is the Republicans. They have power now; they won't want to give it up. It will be a long, long day before they admit they were wrong. It will have to get worse; I only hope it won't involve nukes.

OF course, "Republicans" is a mixed group-- old school traditional conservatives and newer Tea Partiers. And there's "Republican" voters and then there's "Republican" congress-- the ones who actually can take action on Trump's actions.

I suspect GOP Congressional reps will be happier with Pence than with Trump, so will have no problem getting rid of Trump, and many are savvy enough to know that will make them look like self-sacrificing heroes. But I think they are getting something useful from Trump right now-- he is tearing down the apparatus of the liberal state, doing all sorts of draconian things that they want-- even if in a lesser, hopefully somewhat humane way. If they wait until he's done everything they want, even if in more extreme forms (e.g. immigration ban, ACA replacement) and even if they get some nasty stuff along with it, then they will be able to distances themselves from those unpopular moves after they impeach Trump. They can keep the stuff they like without it "sticking", they can remove some of the more extreme stuff around the edges, and still look like good guys. A very neat trick IMHO and I'm cynical enough to believe that's the plan.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

They have called for the wind; let's hope we all don't reap the whirlwind.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The mere thought that the Pussygrabber's 'government' seems to be saying that they are willing to go war with North Korea and Kim Wrong-Trim (what is it with these guys and their hair?) is enough to freeze the blood.

Let alone freezing the world with the resulting nuclear winter.

[Help]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

We wouldn't have to worry about global warming.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016