homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Trumpton (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Trumpton
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
This is from the POST, an account from a Congressional staffer about what it's like to get all those phone calls. Contacting your congressperson really does work.

It is encouraging to read the comments after the (very insightful) article, people sharing tips and experiences, helping each other with advice and support.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
The notion that Obama got nothing done is logically inconsistent with a Republican agenda that largely consists of "we will undo what Obama did".

You say that like being logically consistent is something Republicans aspire to.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
quote:
This is from the POST, an account from a Congressional staffer about what it's like to get all those phone calls. Contacting your congressperson really does work.

It is encouraging to read the comments after the (very insightful) article, people sharing tips and experiences, helping each other with advice and support.
Yes, it is good to know that our actions have an impact. The postcards-to-the-White-House thing, for instance, I doubt anyone will learn anything about for a while.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
it is good to know that our actions have an impact. The postcards-to-the-White-House thing, for instance, I doubt anyone will learn anything about for a while.

That reminds me. My question still stands.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, there is a value in people expressing their concerns. Even if the PGinC doesn't listen, he might. No one marching in Washington expects Tiny Fingers to look out his windows and see them. IF he does I am certain he believes they are paid to be out there. It is we who are empowered by our protest.
And you can bet these were not the only mailings; many more were addressed to those Congresspersons. Who do listen, because they are (more or less) sane, and (certainly) have an eye for Number One.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Kleptocracy update: Nearly 1 out of every 3 days he visits one of his properties. This is why it's worth subscribing to the POST; they ferret out all these fascinating stats and lay them out in bar graphs.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
The notion that Obama got nothing done is logically inconsistent with a Republican agenda that largely consists of "we will undo what Obama did".

You say that like being logically consistent is something Republicans aspire to.
I think it's something I aspire to them aspiring to.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*** NEWS FLASH ***

Former ABofC Lord Carey of Clifton has likened Donald Trump to the Good Samaritan and said that his lying, hypocrisy and hedonistic lifestyle are irrelevant [Killing me]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you sure you didn't mishear, and it was a character in the parable? Specifically the robbers who leave the traveller half dead by the road side.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
L'Organist is right. Carey's comments are in "The Times" (and elsewhere).
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
*** NEWS FLASH ***

Former ABofC Lord Carey of Clifton has likened Donald Trump to the Good Samaritan and said that his lying, hypocrisy and hedonistic lifestyle are irrelevant [Killing me]

One weekend's good deeds in an entire lifetime, and AFAIK good deeds don't earn salvation.

Back in your places everyone.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We'd be more than happy to send T over to Carey, so he can receive the blessings of the Donald face to face. In fact, all of T's minions can go, too. Carey gets blessings, and we get blessed rest.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Link

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Lord Carey of Clifton said that, as in the parable of the Good Samaritan, Mr Trump had promised to offer support to the “wounded and helpless left behind by the elite”, and was “giving a voice to the silent”.
Source (registration required).

The big difference is that the good Samaritan did more than promise to help. He helped.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PS: The Daily Mail [now please wash your hands] version includes a picture of +David Hope captioned as +Carey, which someone suggested should be grounds for defamation.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't know about Good Samaritan, other than the parallel with regards to the Samaritans being well and truly hated.
If you ask me Carey looks to be practicing dead cat politics in a bid to save the CofE.

On trumpton one does though have to ask what this fellow has so far done that is oh so bad. I mean has he invaded any oil rich sovereign countries triggering a trail of death, destruction and chaos for decades afterwards?

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Good Samaritan (as told by Lord Carey):

But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him And said: Look at the awful things that have happened to this man. He's been mugged, probably by Mexicans. I can help him, only I can help him. I'm the best at helping. I'm so good at helping, folks. I'm amazing. What? He's dead? Fake news, he's not dead. It is the priest and Levite's fault that he's dead, which he's not, FakeNews, blame them.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
On trumpton one does though have to ask what this fellow has so far done that is oh so bad. I mean has he invaded any oil rich sovereign countries triggering a trail of death, destruction and chaos for decades afterwards?

Give him time.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

He has only been kept from doing horrid things (stripping health insurance from millions, for example) by grim determination and loud protests. He's been steadily peeling back environmental protections, which will be catastrophic for the future.
I have never heard of the PGinC going out of his way to do anything for anybody. His vaunted charitable donations revolve around free golf time at his resorts, or full-length portraits of himself; his 'gifts' are actually donated by others. His charitable foundation is a fraud. So far as I know he has never given so much as a bus seat to an old lady, or dropped a coin into a beggar's cup. His charities either benefit himself or his children/businesses/other interests.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
*** NEWS FLASH ***

Carey is irrelevant.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:

Give him time.
Please don't.

What has he done so far that is so bad? He has tried to strip millions of poorer people of health, so that richer people can pay less tax. He has tried to exclude people based on their religion. He is in the process of promoting environmental catastrophe, at the precise time when we need critically to promote environmental care.

So fare, he has focusses internally, and caused incredibly problems. One can only hope he doesn't get a chance to look further afield.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

So fare, he has focusses internally, and caused incredibly problems. One can only hope he doesn't get a chance to look further afield.

To late, they've already stepped up airstrikes whilst doing none of the diplomacy to mitigate the damage.
Thse administration is nothing more than a mob of angry, ignorant and privileged toddlers.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
His vaunted charitable donations revolve around free golf time at his resorts, or full-length portraits of himself; his 'gifts' are actually donated by others.

A few pictures of him have circulated with him playing golf. The guy's a lard-ass. He's president Lard-Ass.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Thse administration is nothing more than a mob of angry, ignorant and privileged toddlers.

That is libelous. How dare you insult angry, ignorant and privileged toddlers like that!

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alan cries well!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two angry, ignorant toddlers are now pulling faces at each other.

[Disappointed]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Make the most of any fine weather you might be enjoying, people - the nuclear winter is not far off...

[Help]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, and I've given up the Red for Lent so was rather hoping mad mango and the little bloke in North K. could put Armageddon on hold till after Easter.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you've probably got time to put the best vintage in A Safe Place, whilst the sabre-rattling goes on betimes.

Best not start reading War and Peace, though. It'll only serve to depress you even more during the Last Days.

On second thoughts, it'll all be over in an hour-and-a-half, according to Tom Lehrer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrbv40ENU_o&nohtml5=False

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Over at the LA Times they're running a long series about Lyin' Don.
Here is the first one. It ran yesterday
And here is the second which appeared today. These are sterling, and should be a free click.

--------------------

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
He targets the darkness, anger and insecurity that hide in each of us and harnesses them for his own purposes.
Wow. You know it's bad when the secular press stumbles into biblical rhetoric because it's all that seems up to the task.

It leaves me thinking about Trump as the scourge of God's wrath; driving men back to t(/T)ruth by the personification of its absence. I hope we catch on quick.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Two angry, ignorant toddlers are now pulling faces at each other.

I think the prospect of North Korea - possibly the only country in the world with even more of a spoiled toddler in charge than the US - acquiring a genuine nuclear first strike capability is worrying enough for any US President to be encouraging China to do something about it. Even if that something is just an agreement to look the other way while the US, South Korea and Japan fuck Kim's shit all the way up.

The only alternative seems to be to wait for Kim to vaporise a city - maybe Seoul, maybe Tokyo, maybe San Francisco - before doing anything about him. If left alone he will decide to do it eventually, and North Korea doesn't have any of the political or procedural safeguards that the US has to prevent Trump from doing the same thing.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

What a cheerful thought. Kim Wrong-Trim and Trumpauron the Great....maybe God's wrath is about to be poured out on the world.

Happy Armageddon, everyone! Not long now...

IJ

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
North Korea doesn't have any of the political or procedural safeguards that the US has to prevent Trump from doing the same thing.

You do know what stands in the way of Trump ordering a first strike against any other target, don't you?

Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

He can call for the football, authenticate the codes, and missiles will launch all without him having to consult anyone at all.

Source (One among many. They're not making this shit up.)

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Have you ever wondered about his neckties? He ties them so long that he has had to use scotch tape to hold down the short end at the back. (I am not making this up. There are photos!)
Anyway, this is cheering -- Twitter images revolving around the necktie. Sauron and Voldemort were purely villainous; is it a feature of Real Life that our villains endure constant mockery and comedy? Can we imagine SNL making fun of the Dark Lord of Middle Earth?

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
He can call for the football, authenticate the codes, and missiles will launch all without him having to consult anyone at all.

On one of T's run-aways to his place at Mar-a-Lago, where T was having confidential meetings in front of the resort's guests, some guy took a selfie with the guy carrying the nuclear attache' case!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Have you ever wondered about his neckties? He ties them so long that he has had to use scotch tape to hold down the short end at the back. (I am not making this up. There are photos!)
Anyway, this is cheering -- Twitter images revolving around the necktie. Sauron and Voldemort were purely villainous; is it a feature of Real Life that our villains endure constant mockery and comedy? Can we imagine SNL making fun of the Dark Lord of Middle Earth?

I'd like to see one of a tie dragging behind him, caught in his shoe like a piece of toilet paper. [Snigger]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those long ties are a kind of variation of the (claimed) tendency for short men to send long-stemmed roses to women they are attracted to. The ties are a kind of compensation for other inadequacies - maybe.

Spicer's comment about Syria and chemical weapons took the biscuit yesterday. I was yelling at the screen "You can get more aggressive. You have the power. Think North Korea!"

(Oh wait. That might offend the Russians. Syria is after all their client state. But the Trump regime mustn't upset them. Can't go there. Maybe the geopolitics of this are complex? Still, slamming Obama is always good for their support base. Or maybe I mean their base support?)

It's not just the self-serving hypocritical self-righteousness that pisses me off. It's the sheer, stupid, incompetency. If they must do these damn stupid things, do they have to do them in such damn stupid ways.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Those long ties are a kind of variation of the (claimed) tendency for short men to send long-stemmed roses to women they are attracted to. The ties are a kind of compensation for other inadequacies - maybe.

As a wearer of long ties, I can tell you that sometimes they are just a compensation for having a gut that sticks out over your belt. A tie that falls short of the horizon (as it were) looks dumb. A tie that is too long looks dumb but not quite as dumb.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
What a cheerful thought. Kim Wrong-Trim and Trumpauron the Great....maybe God's wrath is about to be poured out on the world.

Happy Armageddon, everyone! Not long now...

USA v North Korea could only become Armageddon if China got involved. If China agreed to look the other way then the worst that could happen would be maybe one American/South Korean/Japanese city being nuked, and anything from one to every North Korean city nuked.

(If China vows to jump in on NK's side then all bets are off. One can only hope Kim's already pissed them off enough for them to be privately in favour of his removal.)

IMO, the most likely scenario in which nukes are launched sees Kim fire one at either Seoul or San Francisco, followed by America retaliating by firing one at Pyongyang. I'm not convinced that Kim has ICBM capability or the ability to deliver more than one nuke over long range at one time.

After the nukes flew, there would be an all-out invasion of NK by SK and US forces, followed by a nasty (but ultimately short) conventional war. "Conventional" meaning the US would park a few carrier strike groups about a hundred miles off shore and use drones, bombers and missiles to rain down ordnance on anything that moves for a few weeks, followed by the ground troops rolling up the country from the south. There would be resistance, and many casualties on both sides, but the US's vastly superior resources would probably ensure the ultimate victory.

Granted, the nukes would seriously suck for the people in the cities concerned (for about three seconds, anyway). But it wouldn't cause nuclear winter or worldwide devastation any more than the other nukes that have been detonated over the last 60-odd years did.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The only alternative seems to be to wait for Kim to vaporise a city - maybe Seoul, maybe Tokyo, maybe San Francisco - before doing anything about him.

Remember during "Desert Storm," the American troops were taunted by threats saying, "Your wives are sleeping with Bart Simpson?" They thought he was a big movie star here.

I live in one of many tiny towns across America called "Washington." I live in fear.

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Granted, the nukes would seriously suck for the people in the cities concerned (for about three seconds, anyway).

You are as well-informed on the consequences of a ground-burst nuclear explosion as you are on US launch protocols, I see. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

My idle question was, how useful is comedy as a weapon against idiot politicians? Someone has analyzed why TV satirists are actually doing a better job than the regular news.

--------------------

Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

As a wearer of long ties, I can tell you that sometimes they are just a compensation for having a gut that sticks out over your belt. A tie that falls short of the horizon (as it were) looks dumb. A tie that is too long looks dumb but not quite as dumb.
I've noticed recently that in the US there is something of a fashion trend to tie the tie shorter, noticeably above the buckle, than previously, whereas in the UK it is tied slightly longer, to or on the buckle. I understand the shorter tie is to match the shorter jacket fashion (which I dislike), so perhaps Trump's tie compensates for the longer jackets he favours, and not for something more Freudian. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

On a side note, surely a man with so much money could find suits that fit properly.

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

He is borderline obese -- not my description, but his tame doctor's, so it must be true. Such figures are hard to clothe elegantly.

--------------------

Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On a much more serious note, the prospect of a nuclear war, even if limited to the Korean theatre, is profoundly dispiriting. The North Koreans have suffered so much for so long, incinerating them strikes me as a final, insulting injustice. As a final irony, a nuclear strike against North Korea would be seen to confirm the mythology propagated in North Korean propaganda, that America seeks to destroy the Korean people.

[ 05. April 2017, 14:28: Message edited by: Pangolin Guerre ]

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I doubt if an attack on North Korea would begin with nuclear weapons. I imagine the Navy would close in and sink North Korean ships and there would be a lot of drone strikes, missiles and conventional bombing. The North Koreans would therefore have plenty of time to attack South Korea, for which they are very well prepared.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pangolin Guerre:
I've noticed recently that in the US there is something of a fashion trend to tie the tie shorter, noticeably above the buckle, than previously, whereas in the UK it is tied slightly longer, to or on the buckle. I understand the shorter tie is to match the shorter jacket fashion (which I dislike), so perhaps Trump's tie compensates for the longer jackets he favours, and not for something more Freudian. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

On a side note, surely a man with so much money could find suits that fit properly.

And he could also afford a decent barber.
[Roll Eyes]

But back to the ties... He has his own company that makes ties (in China, of course). If he wants to wear them that long, why not have some custom made so that the short end can be tucked into the label rather than relying on a piece of tape?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pangolin Guerre:
I've noticed recently that in the US there is something of a fashion trend to tie the tie shorter, noticeably above the buckle, than previously, whereas in the UK it is tied slightly longer, to or on the buckle. I understand the shorter tie is to match the shorter jacket fashion (which I dislike).

"Gentleman of fashion" is quickly becoming an oxymoron in the United States. Look at how many men think it proper to wear brown shoes with blue suits (and after sunset at that!).

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

The late, great Stanley Holloway had summat to say about brown shoes (well, brahn boots, anyway):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAfb1HaZ0Mo&nohtml5=False

IJ

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016