homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Trumpton (Page 17)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Trumpton
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
lilBuddha--

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Perhaps because they don't know where the UK is...

IJ

As much as I dislike isolationism, I feel I must defend the American type somewhat. It is a huge country with OCEANS on two of its borders. And those living in the middle* have both a lower overall income and the added expense of extra distance before they can get to a different country. So they will have had less opportunity to travel that the average Brit.
The true shame for many Americans is how little they visit other parts of their own country. This has always perplexed me.

Thank you for this!
[Overused]

Lots of people do travel within the States, and within their own states. But it's expensive, and often difficult. By car? Well, you've got to have one; be able to afford gas; and be able to deal with traffic, cranky co-riders for many long hours, repairs, and getting lost. (GPS directions aren't necessarily accurate, and there've been news stories of people winding up in bad situations.) Planes? Expensive; you have to deal with all the security stuff; and you can get your head bashed, as you are hauled out of your paid-for seat. Trains? Fun, but they don't go everywhere, and they take a long time. Long-distance bus (Greyhound, etc.)? A much longer time than trains; cramped seating; scheduled stops at all hours--BUT sometimes they'll cancel the bus you're on, while you're on it, and dump you in a station at odd hours to wait hours for the next bus.

Plus you've got to pay for lodging (unless you can manage to stay with a friend or relative) or a tent-camping space. Plus food.

Plus Americans don't get much paid vacation (and bosses often frown on actually using it). Many, many people don't get any at all.

Plus busy, entangled, over-booked lives. Given all of the above, many people who *do* have paid vacation time take "stay-cations". You still live at home; but maybe play tourist in your own area, catch up on household chores and repairs and medical appointments--and sleep. If you don't have vacation time, then you do some of that on weekends.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep. Vacations are for dpoing all the critical shit that you couldn't get done during the work week, like seeing doctors, fixing the car, doing your taxes, painting the house...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alan--

Thanks for the understanding you displayed!

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
But, there certainly are people in the US with little or no knowledge of their own country. The woman at the internationally known car rental company who took our call when we struggled into Santa Fe on the spare wheel, with another tyre almost bald and the suspension shot who was insistant that we had voided the warrantee by taking the car out of the country being a case in point. I bet she voted Trump. "I'm afraid you're mistaken my dear. We are not in Mexico, we are in New Mexico, and that is still within the borders of the United States of America".

Yes. Before the Olympics in Australia, an American in New Mexico called the US number for buying tickets. Ran into the same problem you did. "New Mexico, Old Mexico, I don't care. If you're not from the US, you can't buy tickets here."

I don't understand not at least recognizing the *name* of a state. Now, if you sat me down with a blank map of the US, I'd have some problems with what goes where. I know which things are in which part of the country, but I tend to forget what's next to what. I do periodically look at a map to remind myself, and occasionally play a geography game online.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once had a FedEx driver refuse to pick up a package from where I worked because it was going to Alaska, which is in Canada, not in the U.S. So obviously the address was wrong, in addition to which it would need different paperwork for a 'foreign' destination.
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
though I would probably qualify the first part as "less opportunity to travel internationally than the average Brit".

I think I said this as well.
quote:

Though, the EU is comparable in size to the US and how many Brits actually travel beyond the borders of the EU?

True. But within the EU, there are many cultures to enjoy. For those who bother to learn and engage, that is.

quote:

But, there certainly are people in the US with little or no knowledge of their own country.

When looking for a tourist spot in a town with very few, it did not appear where the map indicated. So spoke with a pleasant young girl in the closest shop. She had no idea of the place I was seeking, so I left and went round a corner, finally seeing the sign for my destination. Right. Across. The. Street. From. The. Shop.

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
"Look, I've got the absolutely massive bomb with a huge blast. No, I'm not trying to make up for personal deficiencies."

The mission was begun under Obama, which is why Trump and Spicer speak so strangely when asked if they authorised it.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
He is borderline obese -- not my description, but his tame doctor's, so it must be true. Such figures are hard to clothe elegantly.

I find that very hard to believe. To my eye, being in the same category, he looks to be on the borderline between obese and morbidly obese, and more likely just plain morbidly obese.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He has had no medical or psychiatric evaluation available to the public. Nor will he, you can bet. For all we know the Russians have a transmitter embedded in his skull.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
I think presidents do look off to the side, when using teleprompters--that's where they are. Some may be familiar enough with the text and have a good enough memory that they can think "oh, right, point A", and go on to talk about point A without much need to check the teleprompter.

T, I think, tends to simply read what's on the teleprompter.

I did wonder who came up with the ideas for the speech. He made religious comments that he usually doesn't, and talked like we're at the outbreak of a world war.

President Reagan was the first to use a technique where a bullet proof glass in front of the podium had the text projected on it as a heads up display. OF course he was a mildly skilled actor.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Though, the EU is comparable in size to the US and how many Brits actually travel beyond the borders of the EU?

True. But within the EU, there are many cultures to enjoy. For those who bother to learn and engage, that is.

Are you suggesting there aren't many cultures to enjoy in the US? I would beg to differ (and, I remember several occasions where Brits here ignited righteous indignation from US members for suggesting that the US is monocultural). Even from just occasional visits I know the culture of Chicago and Santa Fe are very different (very different cuisine, different language, different attitude to life generally, different heritage ...). New York, DC and Florida are all different again, in their own ways. I've not visited New Orleans, though would love to, or California ... I'm sure they're all different again.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
"Look, I've got the absolutely massive bomb with a huge blast. No, I'm not trying to make up for personal deficiencies."

The mission was begun under Obama, which is why Trump and Spicer speak so strangely when asked if they authorised it.
The entire operation might have been Obama, but scaling it up like this is Trump. I don't believe that they dropped a device that size without explicit authorisation from Washington.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

I don't think they'd be *allowed* to drop it, without specific permission from T, since he's commander-in-chief.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone see the latest anti-Trump protest? Not another march (been plenty of those), letter writing, hat knitting or anything quite as down to earth as that.

Yes, the latest anti-Trump protest is also the first ever protest in space.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Are you suggesting there aren't many cultures to enjoy in the US? I would beg to differ (and, I remember several occasions where Brits here ignited righteous indignation from US members for suggesting that the US is monocultural). Even from just occasional visits I know the culture of Chicago and Santa Fe are very different (very different cuisine, different language, different attitude to life generally, different heritage ...). New York, DC and Florida are all different again, in their own ways. I've not visited New Orleans, though would love to, or California ... I'm sure they're all different again.
This. Arriving in Vermont a couple of weeks after having been in southern California, the differences were readily apparent.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Are you suggesting there aren't many cultures to enjoy in the US?
No. I am saying that there is a shared base that is stronger than what is shared across European cultures. Whilst there are pockets of non-assimilation, the vast majority has a base of shared Americanism.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
though I would probably qualify the first part as "less opportunity to travel internationally than the average Brit".

I think I said this as well.
quote:

According to this about 3.8 million Brits visit the USA every year. Quite a few probably go to Canada, too. And I have an ever increasing acquaintanceship with people who love and go to Latin America. And few of us, I would say, don't have relatives and friends who regularly head off to Australia to holiday with family over there. In addition, not every European country is part of the EU, so there are those nations to take into account; often frequented, eg, on cruises and package holidays.

And speaking of cruises - they are fantastically popular with the British; and are not confined to the EU, as you can imagine.

And last but not least bearing in mind how many Brits are ethnically Indian/Pakinstani, African and West Indian, so cumulatively large numbers regularly go back and forwards to those various continents to revisit family there. A casual conversation with your average Brit can easily turn into a travelogue of 'where I went on my international holiday'!

It's a good point to make, that those who live on the British Isles exist on too small a part of the globe to isolate themselves from the rest of it. Though we, too, can fall into the same habit of simply not exploring our own Islands as much as we might. I love travel, but the enjoyment of the varied countryside in Ireland and the UK is really inexhaustible. So I can understand why many USA citizens simply don't feel the need to leave their own shores.

You've got to remember, too, our often crap weather. If one has the money to buy a little sunshine, we're going to go for it!

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
So I can understand why many USA citizens simply don't feel the need to leave their own shores.

Some do not leave their own states, counties and cities. Some do not even leave their own boroughs! Yes, you can find the same thing in the UK. IME, however, it is well more pronounced in the US.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In this day of cable TV travelogues, Google Earth, YouTube videos, and an infinity of travel, tourist, and historical websites, I don't think anyone has any excuse. If you don't know about other cultures or places, it is because you are incurious about them.
The difficulty these days is rather to find a place that is unvisited and unknown.

--------------------

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Traveling in one's own country is a matter of privilege. If a person lacks an education, works more than one low-paying job, has children to care for, no real transportation, and has to go to the library to access google, exploration becomes something outside the reach of a tired, overworked, low-income person.

This is not meant as an excuse for those who are lucky enough to explore and just don't do it. I would hope that people with time and money would use them both to enhance their appreciation of our interesting world.

But I've worked with so many people just trying to keep it together. The idea of a vacation to another city, let alone another region, and the idea of time to spend on websites for the pleasure of virtual cross-culturalism isn't part of their life.

I'm sure this is true in other places as well.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, that was my first thought, too.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Yeah, that was my first thought, too.

On this crowded island full of impatient, cranky people and barely functioning public infrastructure, it's also a monumental pain in the arse.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it is more likely that Trump has a receiver rather than a transmitter implanted by the Russians in his skull. A receiver is a fairly simple device. (I don't actually regard either as likely in absolute terms.)
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
I think it is more likely that Trump has a receiver rather than a transmitter implanted by the Russians in his skull. A receiver is a fairly simple device. (I don't actually regard either as likely in absolute terms.)

Whatever, it would be more intelligent than anything already in his skull.

Apparently, today he has taken a detour on his way to Mar a Lago (of course - lazy shit), to avoid a protest about his tax returns.

I have farts with more integrity than Trump.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

There were a large number of people at the Tax March in Washington DC. We had a perfect day for it, and the cops closed Pennsylvania Avenue so we could march on it. An eddy of protesters surrounded the Trump Hotel, with cries of "Shame! Shame!" And there was another locus of hooting at the White House, where the tenant has gone off to play golf and so was not there to hear us.
I carried a sign that said "Where CZAR Your Taxes", and on the flip side "Putin Your Money Where Your Mouth Is".
I am no good at estimating crowds, but there were a lot of people. The forecast was for 10,000 marchers.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huffington Post puts it at 25,000 in Washington, D.C., and 20,000 in New York City.

I hope there was a demonstration in Palm Beach, Florida as well.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Reuters UK reports only a couple thousand in DC, clearly low. Perhaps they left early.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by me:
I hope there was a demonstration in Palm Beach, Florida as well.

I just found out that there was -- and he had to pass some of the demonstrators on his arduous journey from Mar-a-Lago to his private golf course.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was at someone's house yesterday where there was an aerial photo of a golfing area in Florida. If his place is anywhere like that one, he is going to have a serious problem with sea level changes.
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

I have a theory ("and it is my theory, and it is mine"--Ann Elk [Biased] ) that T has used his real estate holdings to build his own, self-focused world. He can move from one part to another, without spending much time anywhere else.

So he can go from his home in Trump Towers to one of his resorts, and play golf there. He isn't in the White House much, because it's not *his*--no matter how much he redecorates. Plus he never really wanted the job. So he heads down to Mar-al-Lago as often as he can.

I don't know how he gets the fast food he loves (McDonald's, AFAIK). Maybe he sends someone?

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you saying we should tactically support cutting climate change prevention so we can see him drown as fast as possible?

(@ Penny S)

[ 16. April 2017, 10:54: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[...] I don't know how he gets the fast food he loves (McDonald's, AFAIK). Maybe he sends someone?

There's not really much need for this. According to several news outlets, e.g. the Miami New Times, his hotel staff are already trying their best to poison him and his guests.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Clint Boggis
Shipmate
# 633

- Posted      Profile for Clint Boggis   Author's homepage   Email Clint Boggis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
quote:
[...] I don't know how he gets the fast food he loves (McDonald's, AFAIK). Maybe he sends someone?

There's not really much need for this. According to several news outlets, e.g. the Miami New Times, his hotel staff are already trying their best to poison him and his guests.
I can see a Nobel Peace Prize ( or a short-listing, at least) and the undying gratitude of most of the world for whoever manages it.
Posts: 1505 | From: south coast | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:

There should be plenty of room for both.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Golden Key - undoubtedly. He is not unusual in that - many of the extremely wealthy do that. And trump, despite probably not being anything like as wealthy as he claims, wants to be in that club.

The problem is that as President, he should be in the White House, precisely because it is not his own house. It is the representation of the office, and should give a sense of the significance of the office to the current holder.

For Trump, I presume, he hates being there because it makes him realise just how totally unfit for such an office he is. It reminds him that the people who occupy that office are usually great men who struggle with the burdens of the office, who take genuine responsibility for being president.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Are you saying we should tactically support cutting climate change prevention so we can see him drown as fast as possible?

(@ Penny S)

Not at all. He'd only move to a higher level site! And sue the government.
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
quote:

(@ Penny S)

Not at all. He'd only move to a higher level site! And sue the government.
Perhaps the penthouse of Trump Tower.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a little change of subject: maybe this has already been brought up, but does anyone else think The Donald and Melania have cheesy nouveaux riche taste in furnishings? Not important in the grand scheme of things but...geez!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, much of my furniture is second hand, so perhaps I shouldn't judge. [Smile] However, if I'd leveraged a lifestyle with bankruptcy and not paying workers, etc. I might want something glittery to distract from the smoke and mirrors.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

I've often said that having wealth is not synonymous with having taste. Trump epitomizes this.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This should amuse: Invaka leaves notes for her babysitter. It's the New Yorker and should be a free click.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I've often said that having wealth is not synonymous with having taste. Trump epitomizes this.

I've long felt that the most expensive cars are also the ugliest.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Lyda--

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
As a little change of subject: maybe this has already been brought up, but does anyone else think The Donald and Melania have cheesy nouveaux riche taste in furnishings? Not important in the grand scheme of things but...geez!

I'm not knowledgeable about eras of architecture and design; but it looks part Baroque, and maybe Marie Antoinette's era. I can see her sitting in one of those chairs, with her piled-up wig.

Might be fun, for the occasional special dinner. But I'd find it overwhelming, whether the real thing or a Florida knock-off.

T has a thing about gold. Everything has to be gold. Even his toilet in Trump Towers. And there were rumors he might put a golden toilet in the White House, too. I wonder if that's a take-away from Norman Vincent Peale's positive thinking sermons? Visualize what you want (wealth, power, self-worth, finally getting your father's love because you *won*); surround yourself with it; and you'll achieve it.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My son (an industrial chemist) and husband spent a long time yesterday specualting on Trump's gold lifts (elevators) and what they are probably made of. Strange the conversations the man inspires.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I think I read somewhere that some person, possibly Freud, made some connection between gold and excreta - which makes the gold loos somehow meaningful in a way Trump probably doesn't think of.

[ 17. April 2017, 07:21: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I think I read somewhere that some person, possibly Freud, made some connection between gold and excreta

King Lear in one of his mad speeches does so. He likens wealth to constipation and says the rich should take a purge so it ends up with the poor. It's one reaction to the trickle down theory.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Well he does shit on people.

It does seem that people who want to put on a show of wealth and power use a lot of gold. Whereas people who actually do, don't.

I think the reason Trump isn't open about his tax returns and finances is that he is actually bankrupt. That is the last thing he wants to admit.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well he does shit on people.

It does seem that people who want to put on a show of wealth and power use a lot of gold. Whereas people who actually do, don't.

I think the reason Trump isn't open about his tax returns and finances is that he is actually bankrupt. That is the last thing he wants to admit.

If he's going to quote from the Bible it will always be from Chapter XI.
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Snigger]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe that's why he can't get a decent wig and haircut.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, Trump has congratulated Erdogan on his narrow (and, by Turkish law, fraudulent*) referendum victory. Not that anyone needed further proof or demonstration of Trump's instincts. This is a referendum which, regardless of the outcome, could not but damage Turkish society along a fault line dividing the cosmopolitan (Istanbul, Ankara, Izmir) from the rural. Rather familiar.

In my current employ, I have noticed a surprising number of well-educated Turkish applicants; many were last employed in Turkey until some time just after the coup (or, 'coup') attempt last summer. Should I expect to see more American applicants in the near future?

*I believe that the figure I heard was in excess of 3 million ballots that did not bear the verification stamp (to prevent ballot box stuffing) were counted on order of the supreme election court. That is in excess of Erdogan's margin of victory.

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The "dialogue" with North Korea seems to be running more or less like this:

Trump: My big penis-shaped object [bomb] went an orgasmic "kaboom!", but yours [missile test] only went "pop".

North Korea (through their Ambassador to the UN): You [the USA] are creating a dangerous situation in which thermonuclear war may break out at any moment.

Rest of the World: it's like two tantrum-prone toddlers in a petrol station playing with matches.

[Mad]

It looks like Bill Clinton was right when he said, after a visit there, that the North Korea- South Korea was the most frightening place on Earth.

[ 18. April 2017, 07:23: Message edited by: Tukai ]

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016