homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Trumpton (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Trumpton
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An outright ban would be difficult to impose. It would be much better to insist on the 4 month quarantine period for 'at risk' domestic animals arriving from countries with rabies.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No sane nation wants him to visit. In fact that is the US's only hope, to send him on an extended tour and get him out of our hair.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So he is just over a week into office. He has had mass protests worldwide, challenges to his dictats internally, a huge petition against him, and worldwide approbation for pretty much everything he has done.

I have to say that very few people can manage to have such a phenomenal negative reaction in such a short time, even given where he was starting from.

And I missed the fact that there are people looking into his impeachment already.

What a vile, worthless, obnoxious, dangerous piece of shit he is. And he STILL thinks it is all going well, which has to be an indication of his delusion or derangement.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's needed is a Mexican (or some other convenient national who either does it on their own or as brainwashed to do it by trumpettes) to burn the Reichstag or whatever building trump rules out of. Which would then allow a tidy little invasion. You just know he wants to bomb someone. Impeachment would be nicely deflected by a war.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And what does he focus on re: protests? The tears of Churck Schumer which he insists are phony.

[Disappointed]

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
And I missed the fact that there are people looking into his impeachment already.

I believe people started looking into that on November 9.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The anti-State Visit petition is nearly up to 1.5 million as I type this...

...and there are protests underway in 35 cities across the UK, according to the BBC, with one actually on Wacky May's doorstep (or as near as they can get).

Meanwhile, what is happening/has happened to the unfortunates caught up in the travel ban? Are they still languishing in airport Limbo, or have some (at least) been freed?

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sabine:
And what does he focus on re: protests? The tears of Churck Schumer which he insists are phony.

[Disappointed]

sabine

I turned off at that point - he had his "I'm saying something funny" bullying smirk on his face and in his voice.

We need a chorus of teachers to intone "It isn't big, it isn't clever, and it isn't funny," when he does this sort of thing.

[ 30. January 2017, 18:58: Message edited by: Penny S ]

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I saw that, astonishingly repellent. Bullying smirk is about right. I had a teacher who used to do that, and of course, he had the power.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure if this belongs here or on the Purg thread: the Grauniad says that

quote:
On Holocaust Memorial Day, the White House issued a statement that did not mention Jews or antisemitism – but this was no oversight by the new administration
This is a 'Comment is Free' opinion piece, here, but still.

I find this unbelievably horrible, although not surprising. What else is there in store for us? Everything's being turned on its head. Good grief!

Any thoughts?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, either His Ghastly Awfulness will deny the Holocaust, or else start banning Jews....

BTW, the UK petition has just passed the 1.5 million mark!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/760A/production/_93881203_c18c4347-4817-4422-98df-2ca1a2dbcb90.jpg

The Demo at Downing Street...

IJ

--------------------

molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Not sure if this belongs here or on the Purg thread: the Grauniad says that

quote:
On Holocaust Memorial Day, the White House issued a statement that did not mention Jews or antisemitism – but this was no oversight by the new administration
This is a 'Comment is Free' opinion piece, here, but still.

I find this unbelievably horrible, although not surprising. What else is there in store for us? Everything's being turned on its head. Good grief!

Any thoughts?

I mean, what do you expect if you've just installed Joseph Goebb..., er, Steve Bannon as your chief strategist? It's the perfect sequel to 9/11. After the disaster-film-turned-reality, we now have the evil dictator making the power of the US of A his own. The White House looks like a chimpanzee tea party at the moment, but there is no reason for complacency. By trying to control or cow the media, they want to set the political agenda. They might try to provoke popular protests and counter-protests as a smokescreen for other legal action. And I am sure that they are prepared to twist the arms of as many congressmen behind their backs as possible in order to gain political support for some very dark legislation. But of course, I might be totally overestimating DT's team, and his presidency will come to a grinding halt in a cloud of dust. At least if the Brexiteers are any gauge in terms of collective IQ, we can be of good cheer that this is what will happen.

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They used the attack on a Mosque in Quebec by a lone gunman loonie white dude to justify the Islamic ban.

Incompetence and willfully hearing only what they want to. [Mad]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So he is just over a week into office. He has had mass protests worldwide, challenges to his dictats internally, a huge petition against him, and worldwide approbation for pretty much everything he has done.

"Approbation" means "approval or praise." I think you mean "opprobrium."

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For some reason, Claus von Stauffenberg and his friends have been on my mind lately.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know it's bad when the recruiter for the Department of Justice (you know, the agency every ambitious new lawyer in the country wants to work for, with alumni making up...well, the entire federal judiciary, including the whole Supreme Court) has to try and convince people it won't be total career suicide to come work for DoJ under the Trump Administration.

Technically, said recruiter is sworn to neutrality and to uphold the administration line. However, in the interest of actually getting people into positions where they're needed so that the whole entire mechanism of administering justice in America doesn't shut down, there was some willingness to...deviate slightly...from the official line.

You know, "we've had idiots in charge before, and some of us still remember how we did it then." Or "sooner or later, he's going to realize he needs us to defend him from all the lawsuits he's going to face. If he doesn't, he'll be gone sooner than we thought."

Yes, work for your country, stand up for justice, and hope and pray it's not going to follow you around forever.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
What's needed is a Mexican (or some other convenient national who either does it on their own or as brainwashed to do it by trumpettes) to burn the Reichstag or whatever building trump rules out of. Which would then allow a tidy little invasion. You just know he wants to bomb someone. Impeachment would be nicely deflected by a war.

Uh no.

It would deflect nothing of the sort. We're damn tired of war, and if he starts one, it will only add impetus to the impeachment movement. In fact, I'm pretty sure people would rush the impeachment in order to shut down the war.

Having just read about his latest firing, I am planning to tell my son to pay close attention from this point out, as it will be the first (and hopefully last) chance he gets to watch a real live presidential impeachment from beginning to end. History, baby.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Impeachment? Don't get ahead of yourself. Trump hasn't yet outlived his usefulness for substantial factions in the GOP. He's still got some mileage there before they need to offload him. And the other frightening thing about him is that he will take every measure he can to squelch opposition.

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Watching for the legal pushback here on the Breitbart influence. Posted on Twitter just now: an obscure law requires Senate confirmation for a White House aide like Bannon to serve on NSC.

50 U.S. Code § 3021 - National Security Council

They may not be able to put the brakes on Bannon & Trump but perhaps slow things down a little?

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re Bannon--

I hope the arcane law works. Per a New Yorker article from just after the election:

quote:
“I’m a Leninist,” Steve Bannon told a writer for The Daily Beast, in late 2013. “Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal, too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.”
Great. An anarchist.
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:
Watching for the legal pushback here on the Breitbart influence. Posted on Twitter just now: an obscure law requires Senate confirmation for a White House aide like Bannon to serve on NSC.

50 U.S. Code § 3021 - National Security Council

They may not be able to put the brakes on Bannon & Trump but perhaps slow things down a little?

In view of Ariston's post, you wonder if there is going to be much of a judiciary around to enforce it...

Bannon's appointment seems not to have received the media scrutiny it deserves.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Great. An anarchist.
[Roll Eyes]

Leninism isn't really anarchism. The aim is not to break down the state so that it cannot oppress the masses any more (my loose paraphrase of anarchism) but to break down the structures of the state in order to give a unobstructed route for something else. Specifically, in terms of Lenin, the dictatorship of the proletariat.

Bannon isn't interested in breaking the political establishment in the USA for the sake of freedom, he is interested in doing it so that there is space for him to enact his hardline political views from the centre.

--------------------
arse

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some anarchists, I think, simply. want to destroy everything--and *that's* what Bannon sounds like to me.

Kind of like the masked, black-dressed anarchists who often show up to peaceful protests and wreck them, but worse.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Some anarchists, I think, simply. want to destroy everything--and *that's* what Bannon sounds like to me.

Kind of like the masked, black-dressed anarchists who often show up to peaceful protests and wreck them, but worse.

The masked, black-dressed, bomb-carriers are more accurately referred to by nihilists, especially by the other kind of anarchist, who tend to wear sandals and veganism.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

What worries me is that Bannon is now on the National Security Council. That is maybe the real news behind the smokescreen. Now imagine he starts to use the muscle of the US to stoke rightwing trouble in Europe. There are several European Countries that are vulnerable, and it could easily destabilise the continent. Left to him, he may even enlist the support of Putin to do his part. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but since they say "when America sneezes, Europe gets a cold", what happens to Europe now that the US has gone down with the flu?

--------------------
... The Respectable

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found some media coverage of Bannon's appointment.

Granted, it is the Guardian, but [Ultra confused]

The reports into how the immigration EO was implemented make for enlightening reading, too.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by molopata:
Impeachment? Don't get ahead of yourself. Trump hasn't yet outlived his usefulness for substantial factions in the GOP. He's still got some mileage there before they need to offload him. And the other frightening thing about him is that he will take every measure he can to squelch opposition.

I'm wondering how much the GOP is actually pulling the strings, now that we know that GOP leaders were not consulted for the draft of the immigration ban (although some of their junior aides worked secretly with the White House).

The work by the committee staffers took place without the knowledge of House GOP leaders, who themselves had no involvement in writing the order and little awareness of its contents.

sabine

--------------------

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

In the end (either the end we pray for or the scorched earth), I think we're going to find Steve Bannon was behind everything. Even Trump may be caught off guatd.

sabine

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I think the other factor is that the primary process in the States means that Republicans who speak out against Trump will find themselves facing a challenge when they next put themselves forward for their Congressional or Senate seat. Trump will have to be very naughty indeed before Republican Senators and Congresscritters start to grow a spine.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
They used the attack on a Mosque in Quebec by a lone gunman loonie white dude to justify the Islamic ban.

With the greatest of respect, let's call this what it is. The man is a terrorist, plain and simple.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Impeachment? Don't get ahead of yourself. Trump hasn't yet outlived his usefulness for substantial factions in the GOP. He's still got some mileage there before they need to offload him.

Maybe so, but he's traveling damn fast. I'm figuring Sept 12 for the first official move in the impeachme t, but lately i've been thinking i ought to move it up.

Would it be evil of us to have an impeachment pool, rather like the celebrity death pool thread?

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

"Approbation" means "approval or praise." I think you mean "opprobrium."
You are right. I will stick to words of one sylab....syl...part.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Would it be evil of us to have an impeachment pool, rather like the celebrity death pool thread?

No more evil than most other things. I think you should start one.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wouldn't the trouble with impeachment be that you'd be landed with the vice-president, who's allegedly even worse than Trump?*

The phrase "coup d'etat" has been appearing in my Facebook feed. I don't know much about that sort of thing - perhaps someone would enlighten me - but would a coup get rid of both of them and/or force a second election, or would it have to involve military forces, which presumably wouldn't help matters at all?

* assuming such a condition exists

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Wouldn't the trouble with impeachment be that you'd be landed with the vice-president, who's allegedly even worse than Trump?*

In the early 70s (Nixon's second term) fear of Spiro Agnew as President probably safeguarded Nixon from impeachment -- until the Agnew problem was solved when he was forced to resign.

There's always hope...

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Trump is very ill, however you want to categorize it. Pence, while nasty, seems to be relatively sane--so it *might* be possible to work with him, box him in, etc.

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Trump is very ill, however you want to categorize it. Pence, while nasty, seems to be relatively sane--so it *might* be possible to work with him, box him in, etc.

No. Pence is worse. He has God on his side. And as St Bob of Dylan said, with God on your side you neither need ask questions nor count the dead.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Furthermore, there are good reasons to keep Trump in position for as long as possible from their point of view, so long as some reasonable percentage of their wish list gets implemented.

Anything 'less good' is likely to hit the poor/brown/gay/whatever rather than the Republican establishment, and they can ride out the consequences until they sweep back in. Reversing the most flagrant of Trumps abuses means that they then have less pressure to reverse the rest, and they have perfect plausible deniability in the meantime.

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

No. Pence is worse. He has God on his side. And as St Bob of Dylan said, with God on your side you neither need ask questions nor count the dead.
Meh. I think Trump thinks he IS God. He certainly demands worship. AND obedience.

As for Pence, he appears to have at least some rudimentary understanding that other people actually exist, and could conceivably affect his intentions, personal welfare, and happiness. Which means that there are ways to bridle him, unsatisfactory and rough as those may be.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

If Trump is chucked out, Pence might learn a lesson that he needs to act more responsibly.

But what I have heard suggests he is pretty bad. So there might have to be a second impeachment. Which should throw the country into a constitutional crisis, not least if the electoral process has produced a pairing that is so non-viable.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
If Trump is chucked out, Pence might learn a lesson that he needs to act more responsibly.

But what I have heard suggests he is pretty bad. So there might have to be a second impeachment. Which should throw the country into a constitutional crisis, not least if the electoral process has produced a pairing that is so non-viable.

We got rid of Agnew and Nixon without a constitutional crisis. We can do it again.

--------------------
~Tortuf

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't want to sound at all like I'm supporting Trumps ridiculous anti-refugee policy, but can someone explain why Australia is the bad guy in the current spat?

Australia set up offshore immigration centres and Australia appears to be trying to farm out those poor people to other countries. Why should the USA bail them out? Hasn't Australia got enough space for refugees?

--------------------
arse

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is, unfortunately, room for more than one bad guy among the nations of the world. Trump is just the latest to lead the pack.

The policies of the Australian government in regard to refugees over the last few years has been outrageous and abysmal, and has been condemned by many within Australia.

The UK government has hardly been an outstanding beacon of open welcome to people in desperate need, with the numbers of Syrian refugees accepted being far below what (I think) it could and should be. And, the triumph of the fascists in UKIP and the Tory party have fuelled an atmosphere where many feel unwelcome here.

Under succesive US administrations there has been barely a trickle of refugees let into the country, and then after two years or more of being treated like a criminal suspect in holding camps elsewhere in the world.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

We got rid of Agnew and Nixon without a constitutional crisis. We can do it again.
IIRC, courageous journalism played a part. Members of both Houses may have had more integrity too.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Meh. I think Trump thinks he IS God. He certainly demands worship. AND obedience.

A self-made man who worships his creator.

(I'm not sure he is self-made, but he thinks he is).

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
With the greatest of respect, let's call this what it is. The man is a terrorist, plain and simple.

And a terrorist for president. He's certainly spreading the terror.

[ 02. February 2017, 11:51: Message edited by: mdijon ]

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The problem is, near as I can tell, Pence's sins are not constitutional in nature but rather ideological. And his ideology is shared with the people who would be doing the impeaching. Trump is breaking laws and trammeling the constitution. Pence would break gays and trammel women. The former is impeachable. The latter, less so.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You couldn't make this stuff up
Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

I've heard preachers make opening remarks like that before. He's playing to the gallery, generating faux outrage, and doing who knows what sneakily elsewhere.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016