homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Carey, STFU......

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Carey, STFU......
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
........please!
web page

I'm beginning to think this man is nothing more than a troll.

Oh, erm...ooops. This was meant for hell.

[ 01. February 2017, 16:58: Message edited by: fletcher christian ]

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
the "extraordinary and hysterical reaction" against Trump is "reprehensible" and could "damage the fabric of democracy".
[Paranoid]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Poor old chap. His meds need revising.

(Carey, I mean, not Trumpannon).

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trumpannon needs deprecating.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am reminded that Lord Carey once compared opponents of gay marriage to Jews in Nazi Germany. So he's not really in a position to accuse other people of hysteria.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
the "extraordinary and hysterical reaction" against Trump is "reprehensible" and could "damage the fabric of democracy".
[Paranoid]
My irony detectors may be faulty but isn't his outburst also an "extraordinary and hysterical reaction" that could "damage the fabric of democracy"?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does he have something to gain by supporting trumpig?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Does he have something to gain by supporting trumpig?

I really don't know where he's coming from. I just get the impression that he gets off on undermining his successors.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I met him a few years ago, after he retired. One of his sons (Spawn) was a regular on SoF at the time. He was very pleasant, unassuming, well liked at the MOTR Anglican Church where we met, which was at the time his local CofE home.

So I find these public assertions (this is by no means the first) quite disquieting. They really don't fit the man I met, briefly. He's getting on of course.

[ 02. February 2017, 14:54: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If he ever did any good in his previous incarnation his utterances in recent years have almost certainly unravelled all of it.

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sad. There's many a public figure who would do better if someone took away their Twitter account.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Sad. There's many a public figure who would do better if someone took away their Twitter account.

Carey, however, isn't one of them. He was a dick long before twitter arrived.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
I met him a few years ago, after he retired. One of his sons (Spawn) was a regular on SoF at the time. He was very pleasant, unassuming, well liked at the MOTR Anglican Church where we met, which was at the time his local CofE home.

So I find these public assertions (this is by no means the first) quite disquieting. They really don't fit the man I met, briefly. He's getting on of course.

I'm reminded of the story of Al Franken trying to blag an interview with Pat Buchanan. He told Pat that he had told a friend of his that Buchanan was very charming and that the friend had responded that Goebbels was charming. "That's unfair!" said Al (Buchanan smiled thinly) "Goebbels wasn't charming". Needless to say he didn't get the interview.

Anyway, Lord C. being personally charming and likeable and having reactionary opinions aren't incompatible. I once took a funeral for the mother of a woman who, with her husband, were leading lights in the local branch of UKIP. They were absolutely lovely and I bet that they are chuffed as hell about Brexit and Trump, damn their absolutely lovely eyes. It would be nice if everyone with deplorable views was a complete ess-aitch-one-tee and everyone who we agreed with was a holy saint of God, but the Good Lord, doubtless for our edification, has clearly decided to mess with our heads with regard to that one.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing is, I used to like Carey. I was delighted when he became ABC (unlike, I know, many others). I met him when he did a wedding that I was best man for, and I was impressed by him.

I do think he was rather out of his depth as ABC, but since he left, he has gone more and more downhill. If he had just shut up, done his work nicely in the lords, and kept away from making political statements, he would probably have been remembered with a degree of affection by many.

As it is, he is being ridiculous. Yes, we wanted bishops to be more vocal on Trump, but not in support of him - to comment on his racism, his abuse, his xenophobia, his anti-Muslim stance. And yes, if you do support him, at least respond to the opposition, not parroting Piers and Nigel.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice one, Callan. Quite right.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I do think he was rather out of his depth as ABC, but since he left, he has gone more and more downhill.

Rumour has it* that he was never supposed to be Archbishop. Back in those days, the church would submit two names to the Prime Minister to choose from, but the reality was that the first of the two names was the preferred candidate. Allegedly, the PTB wanted John Habgood, so they submitted his name along with a complete no hoper that nobody had heard of and who hadn't been a bishop very long. The problem was that Mrs T couldn't stand that nasty lefty Dr Habgood so went for the second option instead.

*As reported in Private Eye at the time

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

.... They really don't fit the man I met, briefly. He's getting on of course.

My compliments to you - very delicately put.
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Seven years older than me. And I'm getting on, too ...

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, but you don't seem to be bonkers...

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
He is being ridiculous. Yes, we wanted bishops to be more vocal on Trump, but not in support of him - to comment on his racism, his abuse, his xenophobia, his anti-Muslim stance.

On this occasion he obviously responded with his own opinion rather than as a spokesperson for people who disapprove of Mr Trump.

No one needs to pay him any attention, of course. Why would anyone care what an ex-archbishop has to say??

[Biased]

[ 02. February 2017, 21:07: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Yes, but you don't seem to be bonkers...

IJ

Kind of you: marginal brain death masquerading as experience and wisdom, I guess.

Mind you, I can still spot a silly observation a mile away. And when it comes to marginal brain death, the ex ABC doesn't strike me as being nearly as incapacitated as the buffoon he praised.

[ 03. February 2017, 01:40: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

Posted by Schroediger's Cat:
quote:

I do think he was rather out of his depth as ABC, but since he left, he has gone more and more downhill. If he had just shut up, done his work nicely in the lords, and kept away from making political statements, he would probably have been remembered with a degree of affection by many.

I know that there are many who simply cannot see to forgive him for the Lambeth resolution but one of the things that I heard him speak on more than once I found to be rather prophetic and prescient. He spoke of an emerging culture of negativity that was creeping into the church that announced itself as a kind of hyper-critical realism that saw no future for it. He felt that to indulge this was a self fulfilling prophecy. In many respects I think he is and was correct on that front and was able to spot this trend even before the arrival of social media et al that would invariably magnify and feed it. Sadly, I doubt anyone will remember him for that though. Now he just looks like another of the internet trolls.

--------------------
Staretz Silouan

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The annoying thing about humanity is that even sensible people* have a habit of becoming horrible caracatures of themselves. Heroes become villains. The brave become bombastic, the honest become self-righteous, the good become bitter.

* and I can understand those who say Carey wasn't really very sensible from the beginning

--------------------
arse

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
Anyway, Lord C. being personally charming and likeable and having reactionary opinions aren't incompatible. I once took a funeral for the mother of a woman who, with her husband, were leading lights in the local branch of UKIP. They were absolutely lovely and I bet that they are chuffed as hell about Brexit and Trump, damn their absolutely lovely eyes. It would be nice if everyone with deplorable views was a complete ess-aitch-one-tee and everyone who we agreed with was a holy saint of God, but the Good Lord, doubtless for our edification, has clearly decided to mess with our heads with regard to that one.

Messed with our own heads there I'm afraid. We just couldn't resist that Forbidden Fruit. The rest as they say is history.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016