homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Dear Steve Langton, (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Dear Steve Langton,
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about the sexual intimacy of walking hand in hand along the beach late on a summer afternoon? Why can't 2 men engage in that?

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 6127 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
Langton, you are a complete troll who loves the sound of his own voice so much that you dredge up a quiescent thread to reiterate your same old arguments.

[Snore]

Actually I didn't 'dredge up the quiescent thread' on my own initiative. This is, as you can see from my post, a response to Eutychus. I also thought initially that since the thread had effectively died, it would be more appropriate to answer him via PM - he rejected that and insisted I should answer in the thread where he asked the question. I've done as he asked and my apologies for annoyance that has caused other Shipmates....
Posts: 2062 | From: Stockport UK | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Langton:
Anal sex - look, whatever language you use about it, polite, 'playground', or fudge/obscure, excrement is simply not nice stuff and sexuality - in God's world anyway - deserves more respect and honour than that. I also note that it is an aspect where a lot of gay people - even activists like Stephen Fry - seem to have reservations, to put it mildly....

Folks this is SHOW-STOPPING here. Steve Langton has admitted here, for the first time ever in his entire life, that anal sex and male homosexuality are not coterminous! And that there are gay males who don't engage in anal sex!

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING. A lot of what he has said over the past several years about homosexuality will have to be reinterpreted in the light of this striking revelation.

Watch this space for further developments!

MT, it's not a 'striking revelation'; you just haven't been reading my posts closely enough but I suppose assuming I'm the standard so-called 'homophobe'. I will of course be delighted if you reinterpret my previous posts in the light of your realisation that I wasn't doing what you assumed I was doing - though I hope this time you actually get it right.....

It is a key part of my actual position to want to give the fullest possible weight - consistent with other biblical teaching - to texts like David's words in his lament on his friend Jonathan, that "Your love for me was greater than the love of women". And I haven't kept quiet about that side of my views....

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
What about the sexual intimacy of walking hand in hand along the beach late on a summer afternoon? Why can't 2 men engage in that?

Or indeed arm in arm embracing? AIUI that would have been considered quite normal in the UK till the late Victorian era and particularly the disruption of attitudes caused by the Wilde scandal after which public physical expressions of male affection seem to have been massively restrained. I might regard your use of the word 'sexual' as redundant....
Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

Eutychus, I will get back on your points - for now I've got other things to do for quite a while....
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:

Or indeed arm in arm embracing? AIUI that would have been considered quite normal in the UK till the late Victorian era and particularly the disruption of attitudes caused by the Wilde scandal after which public physical expressions of male affection seem to have been massively restrained. I might regard your use of the word 'sexual' as redundant....
Perhaps the intimacy flows from the love that they have one for the other, just as Madame and I walk like that.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 6127 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Anal sex - look, whatever language you use about it, polite, 'playground', or fudge/obscure, excrement is simply not nice stuff and sexuality - in God's world anyway - deserves more respect and honour than that. I also note that it is an aspect where a lot of gay people - even activists like Stephen Fry - seem to have reservations, to put it mildly....

I do hope someone has already pointed out that far more straight people practise anal intercourse than gay. Many gay men don't find it a turn on (including Fry, which is different from having "reservations"), and I don't imagine many lesbians indulge. If I were diligent I'd read back through this thread to check, but life is too short.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8851 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
MT, it's not a 'striking revelation'; you just haven't been reading my posts closely enough but I suppose assuming I'm the standard so-called 'homophobe'. I will of course be delighted if you reinterpret my previous posts in the light of your realisation that I wasn't doing what you assumed I was doing - though I hope this time you actually get it right.....

Bullshit. You have been equating male homosexuality with anal sex all throughout this argument, and people have been calling you on it all throughout this argument. At least own your own actions.

--------------------
God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean. --Acts 10:28

Posts: 62019 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Eutychus, I will get back on your points - for now I've got other things to do for quite a while....

Again? This is basically the excuse you offered two months ago.

Your strategy seems to be:

1) claim you can't find the link 2) prevaricate 3) hide until you think everyone's forgotten 4) make lengthy posts that don't answer the question 5) go to 1.

I think you can't get back to me, not because you're overwhelmingly busy, but because you don't have an answer.

You can't demonstrate from the Bible that only penis-in-vagina sex is acceptable, you won't defend your outrageous claim that marriage "in God's terms" is only for "those who can naturally do sexual intercourse", and you utterly fail to distinguish between your own personal revulsions and what the Bible actually says.

--------------------
One has to take part. Scary as it is. - Martin60
Jerusalem is a city without walls

Posts: 16272 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Your strategy seems to be:

1) claim you can't find the link 2) prevaricate 3) hide until you think everyone's forgotten 4) make lengthy posts that don't answer the question 5) go to 1.

I know we're not supposed to "out" Shipmates, but I suspect that Steve Langton might be... Donald Trump.

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 8909 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I know we're not supposed to "out" Shipmates, but I suspect that Steve Langton might be... Donald Trump.

That's a little bit unfair. I don't think SL really shows many of the most unpleasant features of the POTUS.

He (SL) just can't appreciate nuance and can't accept complexity. He needs things to be orderly and placed into simple categories of "right behaviour" and "wrong behaviour" because anything else is disruptive.

Bless.

--------------------
my new book: Biblical But Bollocks. Available in all good bookshops.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will say this in defence of SL.
The basic underlayment of his arguments is not unique to him, but used by many Christians. Including, not infrequently, on this site.
Argument from Silence
  • It isn't listed as OK in the bible, you cannot do it.
  • It isn't listed as bad in the bible, you can do it.
Interpretive v. Literal
  • The bible says it is a no, no; you cannot do it because there is no argument/interpretation with what the bible says.
  • The bible says it is a no, no; but you can do it, because interpretation/equivocation.

He is a prime example of why those time-honoured methods are rubbish.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 15498 | From: out of the corner of your eye | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Note that Steve characterizes Anal Sex as disgusting. Apparently penis in vagina sex is a delightful expression of God's will. and yet, I rarely see an image of it in a church or scripture to exalt it in the way Steve does.

As for his conceit that he's a very special kind of homophobe if only you read his endless nonsensical spew; his homophobia isn't particularly different then the garden variety, only more verbose. It's amusing to note he doesn't want to be associated with the ordinary kind any more.

[ 23. May 2017, 04:37: Message edited by: Palimpsest ]

Posts: 2940 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016