homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Westminster attack (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Westminster attack
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
Yeah right, and I'm hung like Mandingo.

Doubling down on the racism, are we? And showing up here to get your masturbaTory fix on other people's tragedy. Hardly surprising, and not a even a new low for you.
Careful the friction will burn the tiny prick of the larger prick.
quote:

Let's face facts. He will turn out to be a member of the "religion of peace" and if he hadn't been in this country at least five (four of worth) people would still be alive.

Because Christianity's track record is so fantastic.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 15193 | From: out of the corner of your eye | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
It doesn't matter who they think they are, it matters who we understand them to be.

It also matters that we understand the circumstances that allow for the influence of radical groups and do what we can to minimise this. We are not doing that.
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
Originally posted by Beenster:
Selfies. Really?

Journalists have been doing exactly the same thing for decades. And they're not "selfies" unless you're in them.
There appear to be actual selfies taken. One news report included a video selfie in which one could see precious little other than the selfie taker. Not journalism unless one is doing a news story on self-centred idiots.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 15193 | From: out of the corner of your eye | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
Some fools led by.. well, y'know-who, are jumping to assumptions that the guy shot by police had a beard and was generally brown, and therefore was a Muslim.

However there are photos showing paramedics treating the guy (and, yeah, we even treat people who have killed pedestrians. because that's who we are) and his socks have been removed showing very pale feet.

It seems to me that we'd all be best to not assume this is an Islamic terrorist outrage until, y'know, it is proven to be an Islamic terrorist outrage. It could easily be a lone gunman who just hasn't washed for a week.

Yeah right, and I'm hung like Mandingo.

What odds are you giving cheesy, I might have a tenner?

Let's face facts. He will turn out to be a member of the "religion of peace" and if he hadn't been in this country at least five (four of worth) people would still be alive.

And if the thousands of doctors and other health professionals of the same faith weren't in this country, a hell of a lot of people would be dead.

Fuck off twat.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17124 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Not journalism unless one is doing a news story on self-centred idiots.

If I thought there was a chance of getting through to them and causing them to rethink their behaviour then now might be as good a time as any...

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1174 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
And if the thousands of doctors and other health professionals of the same faith weren't in this country, a hell of a lot of people would be dead.

Don't forget the police officers. Some of those men and women rushing towards potential danger to protect members of the public would have also been of that same faith.

--------------------
Citizen of the world.

Posts: 31349 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The murderer was called Khalid Masood.

Shinto perhaps? Maybe he was a militant Shinto'ist.

Or, and I'm just guessing here, maybe he was part of the armed struggle of the Quakers?

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Or, and I'm just guessing here, maybe he was part of the armed struggle of the Quakers?

I see you've abandoned your "If he hadn't been allowed into the country, all those people would still be alive" line of argument.
Posts: 5954 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You are a pineapple. You do not belong on pizza. You do not belong. Anywhere.
Posts: 10123 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sioni Sais

I did think about including memories of English tabloid hysteria telling the British in Northern Ireland - meaning the million Protestants who lived in NI - to 'leave Ireland to the Irish' and move to England if they wanted to be British. But, as I recall, such stupidity was treated with the contempt it deserved.

Of course, prior to that the Irish didn't need to be associated with terrorism to experience prejudice in Britain. But I think that's probably getting outside the argument of this thread.

I, too, remember Irish and Ulster family members and acquaintances being harrassed and intimidated by English people because of the terrorist activities. And anyone who's ever tried driving a car with an NI or ROI reg through Great Britain will know what I mean! And I recall some violence against Irish people during the Falklands conflict, because of the Republic's stance on the war.

But I don't think it compares in scale to the current waves of mindless hysteria being incited against dark-skinned people.

I lived in England myself for over twenty years and despite my British citizenship, I knew I was Irish to most of my fellow Brits. But I knew that life would've been much tougher if I hadn't been white.

I remember one landlady having a talk with me about why she hadn't rented a room to a black man. He was very nice, she said, perfectly clean and solvent, but well, you know. She just didn't feel 'right' about it, what with him not being from 'here' meaning England.

'I'm not from here,' I pointed out, 'you rent me a room.' 'Yes, but you're not like him.' No. I wasn't like him. I blended in better.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 9829 | From: The Wee North | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

So, he has a Muslim name. That doesn't mean he's a Muslim, any more than someone called James (good Biblical name) Kirk (meaning Church) is necessarily Christian.

And, if he is a Muslim then he could be devout or not, faithful to the teachings of his religion or not. Since both Daesh and the rest of the Islamic world agree that there are Muslims who are not faithful (they simply disagree about who is faithful) this shouldn't be discounted.

--------------------
Citizen of the world.

Posts: 31349 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Badger Lady
Shipmate
# 13453

- Posted      Profile for Badger Lady   Email Badger Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Fuck you Deano. Just fuck you.

Khalid Masood was a criminal mad man who no more represents Islam than barbie represents a normal female body.

And he was born in Kent. Y'know KENT. That well known foreign country.

Am I emotional. Yes.

I work in the Houses of Parliament. I spent yesterday afternoon shut in an office. I got off lightly. I spent today with colleagues who witnessed the attack and its aftermarth. We were all surrounded by policmen who lost a colleague.

You chose to see this attack as something to sow division; to score points; to entrench your warped steretypes.

No one I spoke to today thinks like you.

Posts: 340 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The stupidity of believing that a person's religion can be assumed based on their name is mind boggling, even for you.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 17792 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In fact, let me be really specific about just how fucking stupid it is to assume religion based on a name. The world has endured 8 years of morons assuming that a man named Barack Obama must be a Muslim because of his name. That's the level of idiocy involved.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moving on past Deano, the turd in the punch bowl, as an American I'm embarrassed that Donald Trump JR was flaming the Mayor of London after the attack.

I remember the kindness and support that we Americans and especially New Yorkers got after 9/11. I'm ashamed that Trump Jr is seen as speaking for Americans.

That's not the way the rest of us feel.

Posts: 2932 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was doing sums with my age and his age and running names past my memory of Dartford classes. I could have taught him, maybe, I thought, but it seems he moved to Rye before that could have happened.
I wonder where he was teaching.
And thank you Palimpsest - I suspect that DTJ couldn't get past an obviously Muslim name.

[ 23. March 2017, 23:19: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
Moving on past Deano, the turd in the punch bowl, as an American I'm embarrassed that Donald Trump JR was flaming the Mayor of London after the attack.

I remember the kindness and support that we Americans and especially New Yorkers got after 9/11. I'm ashamed that Trump Jr is seen as speaking for Americans.

That's not the way the rest of us feel.

I don't think you need to worry that the trump idiot child is seen as speaking for Americans - it is well known that his arrogance and stupidity are all his own, by right of inheritance. His father, on the other hand, might have found a few moments to express his sympathy to Londoners whose bravery has always set the standard. My mother worked through the blitz in Whitehall, and would have understood.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 790 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope the British people will avert their eyes from the TinyFingered train wreck, and accept the condolences that Barack Obama posted. We over here are frantically hoping that he is the Shadow President.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer

Posts: 4364 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Badger Lady.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 5999 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still waiting to learn why that poor man who fell onto the concrete was a great American. From his photos and his neighbours comments he looks a nice guy.
Some comment about the others who died would have been welcomed.
I'm off to find what Obama said.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I'm still waiting to learn why that poor man who fell onto the concrete was a great American. From his photos and his neighbours' comments he looks a nice guy.
Some comment about the others who died would have been welcomed.
I'm off to find Obama's message.

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The murderer was called Adrian Elms.

(which with the renaming technically leaves the religious issues alive*, but where it's used as proxy for racism... Cref a 'friends' use of "Cuckoos in Warbler nests" (and the like) or any mention of immigration)

*and so by words doesn't really refute the post. (though of course, is open to selection and religious bigotry, I don't remember a similar post when the Canada attack happened) or ...

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seems the attacker was a convert to Islam. Original name Adrian Elms Aloa.

Meanwhile,relax US Shipmates, we don't tar you all with the Trump brush anymore than you tar us all with the shit-dripping lavatory brush that goes by the name of Deano.

Meanwhile, from what little we know so far about the attacker's profile he seems to fit the pattern for those lured into extremism - previous convictions for violence and possession of offensive weapons, known to the police but not directly in the spotlight as a terror suspect. As far as I know, a number of jihadist have been converts and exposed to particularly virulent versions of Islamism.

That's not to say that all converts are drawn that way but I suspect that some with a propensity for violence and who would be drawn to extremes of one form or other - fundamentalist religion, fundamentalist politics - would be fertile soil for radicalism whether in a copy-cat form or formally 'groomed' way.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 14399 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well, guess no more, Sherlock! Here you go!

An English man called Adrian, apparently. With a history of petty criminality including GBH and public order offences.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 9829 | From: The Wee North | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some pricks near to the US president are saying that this shows that the travel ban is necessary.

So Mr Trump, you are seriously saying that a guy from the UK who has apparently taught in Saudi (because none of you fuckwits have ever had business there) would be caught by your ban. You do realise that all Muslims are supposed to go on Hajj? To Saudi?

So we're left with the idea that either you've arbitarily decided to put Brits or all Muslims on a no-fly list. Which is it? Oh wait, we're your oldest friends, it must be the Muslims that you hate so much.

This country has problems, but we're not going to be taking lessons from you about mass killing incidents, thanks all the same. We will keep our largely unarmed police force and we'll keep treating people who try to kill us and we'll keep thinking the best of our fellow citizens and we'll keep believing that Muslims are our friends and neighbours and are not the blanket demonic force that you seem to want to paint it.

You utter utter piece of slime.

[ 24. March 2017, 07:59: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
my new book: Biblical But Bollocks. Available in all good bookshops.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Some pricks near to the US president are saying that this shows that the travel ban is necessary.

So Mr Trump, you are seriously saying that a guy from the UK who has apparently taught in Saudi (because none of you fuckwits have ever had business there). You do realise that all Muslims are supposed to go on Hajj? To Saudi?

So we're left with the idea that either you've arbitarily decided to put Brits or all Muslims on a no-fly list. Which is it? Oh wait, we're your oldest friends, it must be the Muslims that you hate so much.

This country has problems, but we're not going to be taking lessons from you about mass killing incidents, thanks all the same. We will keep our largely unarmed police force and we'll keep treating people who try to kill us and we'll keep thinking the best of our fellow citizens and we'll keep believing that Muslims are our friends and neighbours and are not the blanket demonic force that you seem to want to paint it.

You utter utter piece of slime.

[Overused]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12078 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
quote:

Well, guess no more, Sherlock! Here you go!

An English man called Adrian, apparently. With a history of petty criminality including GBH and public order offences.

Where's the "drop the mic" emoji when you need it?

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9701 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm uncomfortable with today's counter-narrative which says this guy's "original identity" was Adrian-from-Kent.

OK, I understand that he had various names and that there is work to be done to suggest that he wasn't some foreign jihadi fighter who just flew in to carry out this attack.

But I think there is an under-current that seeks to delegitimise people who convert religion, particularly when that is a conversion to Islam. Somehow we're subtly saying that white people might change their name, but underneath they're still Adrian-from-Kent - because white people can't become Muslims, cannot legitimately change their name, are unable to shake their birth identity.

Well, I don't believe that.

Fair enough, if he was a criminal and was changing his name to avoid detection that's one thing. But let's show a bit more respect for the principle that people are free and have the right to change religions (and their name).

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, I don't see that at all. How is acknowledging that this guy was originally called Adrian and converted to Islam 'delegitimising' someone who converts to Islam and doesn't go around mowing people down with a vehicle nor attacking them with knives?

The vast, vast majority of converts to Islam don't go around doing that.

Sure, it could lead to dick-heads like Deano tarring all Muslims, converts and otherwise, with the same brush. But that tells us more about Deano than anyone else. As if we didn't already know that the man is an arsehole and a twat.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Archbishop Cranmer has written a genuinely brilliant about Elms.

He was a violent Christian before he became a violent Muslim. Cue deano wheeling out the One True Scotsman fallacy.

--------------------
Lost in Space

Posts: 8093 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

A lot more people than deano are wheeling it out...

After events like this, I often find myself wondering which is really worse: killing a few people, or demonising a billion people.

The moral calculus is tricky. Because I'm not entirely convinced that sprinkling your evil over a vast number of innocent victims is somehow better than concentrating it on a few.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Someone has already mentioned understanding why people are radicalised and commit such criminal acts, so that we can work to reduce the number of people radicalised.

I sometimes think that we already know what causes people to become radicalised. And, our governments then deliberately set out to do those things which create the environments to foster radicalisation. Things like viewing large groups of innocent people as pseudocriminals and punishing them for crimes they haven't committed, and would have never contemplated - restricting their ability to travel, telling them that they can't wear certain types of clothing, etc. Is it any surprise if we treat a lot of people as though they're almost criminals that a few of them become criminals?

--------------------
Citizen of the world.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly, alas, true.
[Disappointed]

Welcome to Planet Earth...
[Help]

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 7230 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Welcome to Planet Earth...
[Help]

When can I leave?

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As one of my erstwhile patients (with mental health problems) used to say: 'Is this the last spaceship for Mars?'......

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 7230 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have wrestled with this concept many times on the Ship. It easier to understand why someone with a warped ideology would attack close to the HofP and kill innocent people as opposed to a random shooter with no ideology just killing, presumably for the fun of it,(accepting there is usually some specific grievance driving them).
The common denominator is that both overcome the normal desire to stay alive along with that of not wishing harm on others.

Still can't quite understand if perpetrators like this latest one are acting on their own initiative or whether they are taking orders from a central IS or Al Qaeda command.

--------------------
. full stop for the purpose of leaving gap under post.

Posts: 2792 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

In the old days, terrorists would have used guns or bombs. Which require being able to get hold of them, and some skill to use them (especially making a bomb). That would normally mean some network of people to provide necessary training or equipment. In the UK at least, the majority of people can't just buy a gun (to be honest, I don't even know how to go about buying a gun), and bombs are even harder to get hold of.

But, inspired by international terrorism, we all know that you don't need a gun or bomb. A van or car can make a very effective weapon to kill and injure large numbers of people. Something that the majority of people have ready access to, without the need for any form of support network.

--------------------
Citizen of the world.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was Alistair Cook who said that a way to cause widespread mayhem would be to take a damp hanky impregnated with a vicious waterborne virus and ring it out in a reservoir. Then ring the water authorities.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Walking 18 miles to help Refugees get an education.

Posts: 20347 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
Then ring the water authorities.

...or not, as the case may be.

Germ warfare used to scare the living shit out of many of us during the 60s and early 70s. Films like the 'Satan Bug' illustrated this quite well.
We had talk of the 'Dirty Bomb' post 9/11, as yet nothing on that score thank goodness. At present most free world dwellers seem too confused by world affairs to even know whether to be scared or not.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's no need to leave earth, and if you do, don't leave in a car. That's a statistically much more likely way to be killed or injured than by a wanna be maladjusted English twit. We had a maladjusted Canadian twit shoot up our parliament. These people are nutty first, delusional second.
Posts: 10123 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is surprisingly difficult to weaponize a biological agent. Most viruses, etc. are finicky about their environment, or refuse to multiply rapidly enough to really impact a population, and so forth.
If you really want to create terror there are easier ways. My notion would be a hand grenade or a pipe bomb. Buy it on the internet or download the instructions for assembly; take it to a big shopping mall on the 23rd of December. There's one in my area which would be ideal for this, one of those multilevel affairs with parking garages and a central courtyard. Drop it from one of the upper levels down into the crowd, pop out the door to the garage, and drive away.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer

Posts: 4364 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

Latest on this geezer is Police announcing his motive 'may never be known'. One minute it is presented as a direct attack on our free democracy, next the action of a motiveless nutter.

The only 'good' thing to come out of this, if one can call it that, is that the ring of steel around our politians will be ever thickened and ever tightened.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are two answers to the question of "motive" for the mayhem on Wednesday, both equally valid and both can be held alone or together.

FIRST, the attacker was mentally ill and a sign of his mental illness was his decision to mow down pedestrians with a car driven at high speed along a pavement before crashing into railings and stabbing a policeman. Since it would appear none of the victims were known personally by the perpetrator this is an irrational act.

SECOND, the attacker held a view of the world moulded by an ideology, unknown at present, which inspired in him not only the desire to act the way he did but led him to believe such actions were acceptable and right.

Unless Mr Mahmood left a note or recorded his thoughts explaining his actions we'll never know which of the above applied and any speculation on the part of journalists or detectives won't be able to tell us with any certainty either.

Of course we can think that he may have been inspired to act in the way he did by taking on board the beliefs of warped individuals who propound the view that actions like this can be justified in some cause, but it is only speculation, nothing more.

And yes, there have been (and may be again) attempts by shadowy 'organisations' to claim so-called responsibility for his actions - but anyone can post a claim on a website, it doesn't make it true.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4376 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
Latest on this geezer is Police announcing his motive 'may never be known'. One minute it is presented as a direct attack on our free democracy, next the action of a motiveless nutter.

Practically, in something like that, there will always be lots of 'motives' and emotions piling in on one head, playing off each other. Some stereotypical 'hating our freedoms' style thoughts, some not letting us disown responsibility (for say those 150 bombed in Raqqa and not considering being born Iraqi sufficient justification), some feelings of isolation from (White) Britain,some identification with (White) British uncertainty, some feelings of it being a hard day, some believing ISIS&Ukip's them and us narrative, some need to be known for something and be significant, (depending on when the decision was made), feeling claustrophobic in new house, some impatience at the traffic, and who knows what else...

(As you get nearer something like a Luftwaffe/RAF bomber pilot, in which case you have orders to some extent, and the decisions and emotions are more separated)

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

I wonder if what they mean is that they can't be absolutely sure if this guy had been in contact with IS or some other radical group via untraceable messaging services.

It seems plausible that this guy just admired IS from a distance and took it upon himself to be a martyr to the cause without any real contact, knowing that IS would use the event for their own ends.

Which is quite worrying, when you think about it. If there are directions and gangs, then you at least have a chance of finding them. If they're just individuals doing depraved acts on a random basis, then there is almost nothing that can be done.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Sure, and, sadly, I wouldn't be surprised to see more 'copy-cat' attacks from those who are disturbed or deranged. In many ways that's what makes this form of 'lone actor' terrorism harder to deal with.

I'm sure sympathisers with one or other of the extremist groups on either side of the Northern Ireland 'Troubles' would have undertaken independent copy-cat acts of violence had those groups used similar tactics to ISIS.

As it was, the extremists on both sides relied on the bomb and the bullet rather than knife-attacks or using lorries, vans and cars to mow people down. It's the low-tech approach that makes this all the more chilling ...

And I'm sure that's the idea. 'We can stir people up and motivate them to carry out random attacks using what readily comes to hand ...'

[Disappointed] [Ultra confused]

--------------------

Mark Wuntoo
Shipmate
# 5673

- Posted      Profile for Mark Wuntoo   Email Mark Wuntoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It seems plausible that this guy just admired IS from a distance and took it upon himself to be a martyr to the cause without any real contact, knowing that IS would use the event for their own ends.

It does, except - do we know whether he called out anything? This would be expected if he was doing it in the name of someone else (GOD or otherwise). I heard a report of a man shouting hysterically but it wasn't clear to me who that man was.

--------------------
Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

Posts: 1851 | From: Somewhere else. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

Not sure what that shows. How is a man shouting hysterically any indication that he has a link to IS? That seems utterly illogical.

--------------------

Mark Wuntoo
Shipmate
# 5673

- Posted      Profile for Mark Wuntoo   Email Mark Wuntoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Not sure what that shows. How is a man shouting hysterically any indication that he has a link to IS? That seems utterly illogical.

Agreed. It was a reporter of some sort who noted it and I don't know that he linked it to anything. It's not even clear who was shouting. I simply asked if anyone knows whether the attacker shouted anything because if he was doing it in the name of GOD or ISIS or whoever it might be expected that he would shout something. And if he did not shout he probably was not greatly infuenced by a terrorist organisation ISTM. (And if he did not shout perhaps that's the reason the police said we would never know his motive.)
Just asking.

--------------------
Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

Posts: 1851 | From: Somewhere else. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Sure, and, sadly, I wouldn't be surprised to see more 'copy-cat' attacks from those who are disturbed or deranged. In many ways that's what makes this form of 'lone actor' terrorism harder to deal with.

And, the copy-cat attacks do not need to be associated with the same cause. Or, the deranged individual only associates with a particular cause because it provides a means to justify (in his own mind, at least) the actions he goes on to take - not from belief in the cause, but just because he's disturbed.

--------------------
Citizen of the world.

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

And all manner of permutations of the same thing ...

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016