homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Westminster attack (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Westminster attack
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there is an argument for impounding all Adrians. 33% of the Adrians I know can be quite annoying.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OI! I resemble that remark!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Wuntoo:
if he was doing it in the name of GOD or ISIS or whoever it might be expected that he would shout something.

You're making a judgement about whether this man was a terrorist or a nutter based on how shouty he was?

Consider the IRA. They had a terror campaign for a long time, with basically no shouting. Bombs generally don't shout much, and are a well-known terror weapon.

Let's suppose for a while that he did intend an act of terror. Perhaps he thought shouting was superfluous, because he thought the press would draw the right conclusion given that he's a beardy man with an Islamic name. Perhaps he thought that uncertainty over whether this was "terror" or not was worse than knowing. Perhaps he was concentrating on killing people and not wasting time shouting. Perhaps he was just not very good at being a terrorist. Perhaps he did his shouting in the car and nobody heard him.

And does it matter? Everyone, AFAIK, agrees that he was a lone actor. That being the case, what difference does it make whether he thought he was a soldier of God making a strike against the infidel or whether he was an angry man irrationally upset because he'd just run out of milk?

Assuming that he thought he was doing God's work, can we learn anything new about how people like him are radicalized from his case? If not, does it matter?

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Mark Wuntoo
Shipmate
# 5673

- Posted      Profile for Mark Wuntoo   Email Mark Wuntoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not making a judgement nor 'supposing' anything.
Just asking was all.
His being mentally disturbed was never in doubt ISTM.

--------------------
Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

Posts: 1950 | From: Somewhere else. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:
I think there is an argument for impounding all Adrians. 33% of the Adrians I know can be quite annoying.

One of Tony Blair's speech writers thought that he was too hardline on law and order and, towards the end of his stint, wrote a spoof paper suggesting that the Prime Minister ought to have the power to imprison at will anyone named 'Gordon' (Brown) or 'Ed' (Balls). The paper was returned to him with a note at the bottom, in the Prime Minister's hand saying: "this is the best thing that you have ever written".

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016