homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Syria (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Syria
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I live near the nation's capital, and we know that we are a target. My husband and I selected a rendezvous point, in case of attack. It's a motor lodge about 30 miles from here, likely to be out of the inner range of nuclear destruction, and upwind of the fallout.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5366 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
while we're on the tangent, one of the most memorable TV reviews of all time (for me) was the US for Threads - something like "makes The Day After look like A Day at the Races"

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1336 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
We lived in married quarters at RAF Hemswell*, where my Dad worked on the IRBM Thor missiles, on loan to Britain from the USA.

Somewhat surreally, Britain's ability to launch Thors was entirely dependent on the British Oxygen Company as they were liquid oxygen fuelled, and like any supercooled liquid the stuff constantly boiled off when the missiles were fuelled up.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3543 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I live near the nation's capital, and we know that we are a target. My husband and I selected a rendezvous point, in case of attack. It's a motor lodge about 30 miles from here, likely to be out of the inner range of nuclear destruction, and upwind of the fallout.

A lot of Brits used to favour the "so long as I'm pissed and sat right under it" fatalism approach. The makers of Threads cleverly had the character who spoke those very words as being one of those who survived.

In reality it was said that even if individuals had the resources to build a fallout shelter, then the hardest job would be keeping out the thousands upon thousands who would be desperately roaming the land following the destruction of major cities.

Many of us who lived through the Cold War years were blissfully unaware of just how real the threat actually was, and how seriously the government regarded the likelihood of a nuclear attack.
This doesn't seem to be the case at present , so I am guessing that most of the sabre-rattling and mumbling with regards to Russia is media fuelled hype.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3044 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, you will note that we have done nothing more than select this motor lodge. There is no prep at all, no go bag, no stash of guns/ammo/food/water etc. The preparedness movement is an entire separate and very deep rabbit hole, into which I refuse to fall.

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

Indeed, was just joking around really. Black humour finds no better playground than the possibility of nuclear total war.

In seriousness, what we are seeing with Syria and other war zones is clash of interest between the US and Russia which gives rise to fears of a gradual escalation in hostilities between the main contenders.
A lot of the bluster and bellicose that goes on in these situations is posturing rather than a desire to start wiping folks out en masse.

I dare say the prepers are twitching with the tin-openers and oiling their automatics at the minute. Then, Lo and behold, it all dies down again til next time.

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Apparently, the thing to do is get laser eye surgery, and learn to drive a motorcycle, so one can move through traffic zippily in the impending apocalypse.
That is, according to one piece illustrating the complete cuntery of the super-rich plutocrats.

--------------------
Wronger than a drooling idiot on stupid juice - but I understand his argument.
mousethief (paraphrase)
----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2782 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brenda--

quote:
Well, you will note that we have done nothing more than select this motor lodge. There is no prep at all, no go bag, no stash of guns/ammo/food/water etc. The preparedness movement is an entire separate and very deep rabbit hole, into which I refuse to fall.

Basic emergency preparedness is different from being a prepper, which is different from the folks who go wayyyyy down that rabbit hole.

Here in California, we're supposed to be ready to take care of ourselves for 72 hours, in case of any emergency. That includes both an emergency kit for home, and a portable one (AKA go kit). Ready.gov, affiliated with Homeland Security, has similar info.

ISTM a go bag is a very reasonable way to take care of yourself: a change of clothes, medication, comfort things, book, knitting, etc. Some experts advise keeping one at home, and one at work or in your car (if you have one).

FWIW. YMMV.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17672 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
quote:

A lot of Brits used to favour the "so long as I'm pissed and sat right under it" fatalism approach.
And why not? What's there to live for in a post-apocalyptic nuclear hell on earth?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17451 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
And why not? What's there to live for in a post-apocalyptic nuclear hell on earth?

If there are survivors then it will be down to them to rebuild society as best they can. That seems to me to be as good a calling as any other.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 29846 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

If there are survivors then it will be down to them to rebuild society as best they can. That seems to me to be as good a calling as any other.
"as god a calling as any other"? Dude, you have no imagination.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 16609 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
In seriousness, what we are seeing with Syria and other war zones is clash of interest between the US and Russia which gives rise to fears of a gradual escalation in hostilities between the main contenders.

Both America and Russia regularly violate international law. More similar than different on that dimension. A dangerous doing away with rules. The US invasion of Iraq in 2003 was as much a violation of international law as Russia's annexation of the Crimea in 2014. Both show that the right of the strong prevails when international law is violated.

trumpy's bomb strike may be morally comprehensible, but that does not make it legal. Which makes me question why we bother having international law at all if it cannot stop a dictator from committing crimes against his people? trumpy has merely reinforce 19th century thinking about ,might makes right. The behaviour of the strong is always justifiable. trumpy understands this. He's just the latest in the chain.

--------------------
Maybe I should stop to consider that I'm not worthy of an epiphany and just take what life has to offer
(formerly was just "no prophet") \_(ツ)_/

Posts: 10850 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pretty sure this is about North Korea. President Xi will have opened Donald Trump's mind to some of the complications involved in having North Korea as a neighbour. For all I know, the MOAB detonation, with its double effect, may well be the kind of "pause for thought" demonstration that Xi would, quietly, see a value in.

That's not necessarily the same as Xi agreeing to bombing raids designed to take out, or at least severely damage, the North Korean missile and nuclear capabilities. But China must be deeply worried by the failure of diplomacy and economic pressure to contain the nutcase in charge in North Korea.

They might well see the Donald as somewhat less of a nutcase. Particularly since he seems to be moving away from some at least of the nutty stuff he spouted during the campaign.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 20858 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

There was no doubt in my mind that trump's giant bomb was for Kim to ponder and blasting a hundred or so IS fighters in the process was just the by and the by.

This is poker with bombs instead of chips, and fingers poised over buttons instead of revolver triggers.

Where is that bottle of Red?

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's have some proper sympathy for North Korea's president okay? When the USA wants your regime changed it can include being hanged like Saddam, or anally raped and shot like Gadaffi. Might nukes slow them mustangs down?

--------------------
Maybe I should stop to consider that I'm not worthy of an epiphany and just take what life has to offer

Posts: 10850 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do have sympathy for Kim Jong Un. For years he (and his dad) has been able to sable rattle and everyone has gently explained that, should he actually declare war on the rest of the known universe, he would be very quickly incinerated. But meanwhile he can convince his people that he is waging war on the imperialists.

Suddenly there is a US president who is so dangerously unstable he might actually decide to take pre-emptive action. I am sure that China is encouraging him - China could have taken insane action and would be vilified by the entire world, but they can encourage baby-boy to do it without any risk to their standing.

It is all a power game. And Trump is the pawn that others are using. The aim in this case is to sort out N Korea, while China ans Russia can both condemn the action and seem like the nice guys.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18512 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When Kim Jong Un first took over, I hoped that he'd be saner than his dad. At least some of KJU's schooling was in the outside world (Switzerland), so I thought that might have opened his life and mind a bit. But news stories gradually made it clear that *he* was doing bad things, too.

OTOH, we don't really know what goes on there. Maybe the staff of KJU's dad's regime found a way to control KJU, if only to stay in power themselves.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17672 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

And suppose he repented. Suppose he realizes that he will go down in history as a dupe and a crook, and doesn't want to be remembered like that. (We will assume atheism, in absence of any other evidence.) How would he be able to alter his ways, change the narrative? (There is an entire novel in this, and I have written it.)

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Is Kim or Assad crack-pottier than trumpy? Are they equally crazed, or up different poles?

It's easy to determine who of these 3 I'd exclude from a dinner party. trumpy is the one who'd sexually assault the guests. Perhaps it'd be okay if everyone had a rape whistle?

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
It's easy to determine who of these 3 I'd exclude from a dinner party.

Kim would have to see my barber first. I wouldn't let him anywhere near my table with that haircut.

--------------------
"We're not in Wonderland anymore, Alice." – Charles Manson

Posts: 10226 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
It's easy to determine who of these 3 I'd exclude from a dinner party.

Kim would have to see my barber first. I wouldn't let him anywhere near my table with that haircut.
Wouldn't it be nice if Kim Jong Haircut and donald fart could get together for a friendly meeting? They could discuss the problems they have with their barbers instead of all this nasty missile stuff.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 860 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

What if they mated? Shudder the mutant hair. No shortage of volunteers to give away the brides I wager.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if men could accept their hair more, whether the world would be a safer place.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18512 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016