homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Martin60 knock it off (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Martin60 knock it off
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aye, drink is correlated with 90% of murder, not a statistic I made up, New Scientist did about 15 year ago.

Unfortunately, even when life was hell on all other fronts, down the pub it was often hysterical. Never lost or hit a friend or got clumped by one down the pub.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 16899 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, to summarize Martin's comments to and about me on this thread:

I apologize, matey. You have thin skin.

You'll have to forgive me if I don't take the first half terribly seriously after the second half. [Disappointed]

--------------------
“Religion doesn't fuck up people, people fuck up religion.”—lilBuddha

Posts: 63123 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Aye, drink is correlated with 90% of murder, not a statistic I made up, New Scientist did about 15 year ago.

Unfortunately, even when life was hell on all other fronts, down the pub it was often hysterical. Never lost or hit a friend or got clumped by one down the pub.

You must have been buying the drinks then. Or found yourself the only person in the pub. If you rambled on in the same, self-indulgent fashion you do here, accusing people of being thin-skinned and the rest, I'm amazed you have survived.

No, I put my money on Martin60 being the reincarnation of Walter Mitty himself.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24011 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
No, Jolly Jape, calling a man a 'girl' is sexist, whether in friendly jest or sneering jeer.

Round here there is a saying 'don't be a big girl's blouse'. It means wimpish and lacking backbone. I hate it.

Girls/women are wimpish and lacking backbone? I think not.

Well, I'm from "round here", and I can't see that what Martin said to MT was in any way analogous to calling him a "girls blouse" (an expression for which I share your distaste), or why, in the original context, he would be accusing MT of lacking backbone.
Well, you are a bloke and you are ol...erm, of a generation that mightn't of been as awake.* Calling a man ma'am is meant as disrespect because women are not seen as equal. Try calling your boss ma'am. Though, even the blokey version plays on that inequity.

*woke is a more current term, but in deference to previous generations...

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 16963 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... though similarly, calling a woman "Sir" when you know damn well she's a woman is also a sign of disrespect. It means "You are acting as something you are not, you unnatural and disgusting creature."

I've had it done to me.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19992 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Try calling your boss ma'am.

People do, all the time. Especially when their boss is a woman.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 8854 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:

People do, all the time. Especially when their boss is a woman.
Aright, fair cop. So add, "If your boss is a man" to my statement.

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
... though similarly, calling a woman "Sir" when you know damn well she's a woman is also a sign of disrespect. It means "You are acting as something you are not, you unnatural and disgusting creature."

I've had it done to me.

Most assertive women have this done to them. Even more so if they are black.
I get "feisty" a lot.

--------------------

Posts: 16963 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Calling a man ma'am is meant as disrespect because women are not seen as equal.
I'm afraid you'll have to take my word for it, but they are by this dinosaur.

quote:
Well there may be a lot of things I might not have called my boss when I had one, though I can actually think of few who would have considered "old girl" as an insult, but then I did work for the BBC. But clearly it would only be appropriate in a "matey" context, which often did exist, as it happens, between my bosses and workers various. If (generic) you find it offensive, then clearly it would be inappropriate, and firm correction might need to be delivered. However, I still find such a situation to be miles away from the exchange between Martin and MT; as Boogie said, she didn't think Martin was being sexist.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sexist or not, he was being obnoxious. Mouesethief had already told him not to call him by the wrong sex, so what does Martin do? Once again call him by the wrong sex. Obnoxious.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11663 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin enjoys ruffling mousethief's feathers just because he can. Not one his nicer characteristics. [Disappointed]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21293 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
quote:
I do take your word for it. However, one can have perfect respect for a group and not understand how a word violates this.
quote:

quote:
Well there may be a lot of things I might not have called my boss when I had one, though I can actually think of few who would have considered "old girl" as an insult, but then I did work for the BBC. But clearly it would only be appropriate in a "matey" context, which often did exist, as it happens, between my bosses and workers various. If (generic) you find it offensive, then clearly it would be inappropriate, and firm correction might need to be delivered. However, I still find such a situation to be miles away from the exchange between Martin and MT; as Boogie said, she didn't think Martin was being sexist.
She said she didn't think Martin intended to be. There is a difference.

[ 25. April 2017, 17:05: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Martin enjoys ruffling mousethief's feathers just because he can. Not one his nicer characteristics. [Disappointed]

Indeed. Martin60's modus operandi is vague. He uses it as a weapon as well as general expression.

[ 25. April 2017, 17:09: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's my round, what'll you have mousethief?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 16899 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You to stop humping my leg, as already specified. I'm not your matey and never shall be.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Bless you mate.

--------------------
Love wins

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
martin, stop being an asshole. You're the only person I know who can turn a blessing into an incredibly irritating wind-up.

--------------------

Posts: 19992 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like I said, obnoxious.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11663 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I'm not your mate. Get off my leg.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

He cannot hump what isn't there.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:

Indeed. Martin60's modus operandi is vague. He uses it as a weapon as well as general expression.
More than that, he uses it as an excuse.
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
His chief weapons are predictability and an almost fanatical devotion to himself.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7256 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A duck with three wings and a loaf of bread is still sister to the turkey. Wearing no pants, Martin60 is the duck.
Posts: 11082 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Ah! A contest, is it? My obscurity is in eclipse, and I fear the hostly prod.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wes--

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
His chief weapons are predictability and an almost fanatical devotion to himself.

And who gets the comfy chair? MT?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17994 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good on you Martin60. Your posts are entertaining and insightful. My favorite are the ones where you seem to physically live out your spiritual uncertainties like some sort of gonzo philosopher. All theology should be lived like the milk is off and there's no long-life in the cupboard. Do you have it black, or go down the shop?

You are a wordsmith Martin. Keep expressing yourself in the moment. Don't look back. Try not to get banned, that's all.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1188 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
Good on you Martin60. Your posts are entertaining and insightful. My favorite are the ones where you seem to physically live out your spiritual uncertainties like some sort of gonzo philosopher. All theology should be lived like the milk is off and there's no long-life in the cupboard. Do you have it black, or go down the shop?

You are a wordsmith Martin. Keep expressing yourself in the moment. Don't look back. Try not to get banned, that's all.

All that can at times be true, but Martin 60 has this annoying habit of being deliberately obscure. It fucks up debate and discussion a treat and I sometimes think that is his objective.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
All theology should be lived like the milk is off and there's no long-life in the cupboard.

I agree with Sioni, but I think the above is worthy of the quotes file and might even unseat Martin in my sig.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17190 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I don't think Martin is being deliberately obscure, though I think the case can be made that he is being deliberately enigmatic. It's like he senses something just beyond his reach, and tries to reflect that frustration with resort to something which is, at its best, nearer to poetry than rational discourse. Once you learn to feel his arguments rather than analysing them too closely, it is possible to discern the outline at least of the hidden truth that stalks him, just outside the boundaries of rational perception. FWIW, I find him easier to understand than many of the works of academic theologians, though I confess that some of his more obscure cultural allusions escape me.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin veers between Holy Fool and Fucking Idiot.

And there, but for the grace of God and our internal editors, go us all.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

He cannot hump what isn't there.
I can assure you I have two fully functional legs.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
I do take your word for it. However, one can have perfect respect for a group and not understand how a word violates this.

You say this like a word has an objective meaning all on its own.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18052 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You say this like a word has an objective meaning all on its own.
No, I am saying pretty much the opposite.

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Every use of the word "mate" earns you another million years in purgatory. With added pine needles down the fingernails just to make it sufficiently infernal.

I don't like your use of it because I don't trust it. It sounds like it's in your ninth language, which you learned from your worst enemy. It is therefore passive aggressive and utterly dickish.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2134 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

Really, ThunderBunk? They obviously do things differently there in Norwich. Up here in the Rainy City, and presumably in Leicester, it is perfectly normal English as she is spoken, and a nearly universal form of address between men, be they friends or strangers. It's so common, there's even an insurance brand named "Sorry, Mate". You might not like it, it might, in your opinion, be infra dig*, but it's far too well used to be sensibly regarded as a sign of passive aggression. To think that someone saying it is attempting to put you down is to be oversensitive to an alarming degree.

* Infra dignitatum - beneath one's dignity.

[ 30. April 2017, 14:01: Message edited by: Jolly Jape ]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jolly Jape, down in the Metropolis and environs, I see both the friendly back-slapping use of "mate".
It goes with pub bonhomie and all lads together among the older men. Younger men tend to use "bro". Then there's the gritted teeth, passive-aggressive mate usage that really isn't friendly. The "You mate (or matey), need to get your skates on to fix this." type instruction.

I can see where Thunderbunk is coming from.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13552 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Really, ThunderBunk? They obviously do things differently there in Norwich. Up here in the Rainy City, and presumably in Leicester, it is perfectly normal English as she is spoken, and a nearly universal form of address between men, be they friends or strangers. It's so common, there's even an insurance brand named "Sorry, Mate". You might not like it, it might, in your opinion, be infra dig*, but it's far too well used to be sensibly regarded as a sign of passive aggression. To think that someone saying it is attempting to put you down is to be oversensitive to an alarming degree.

* Infra dignitatum - beneath one's dignity.

This ignores the context here. We're not in a pub or in the street in your Rainy City or in Leicester. We're on the SOF where Martin has been told not to call me matey. If he does it again, it's passive aggression. I'm amazed that you, smart as you are, can't see the difference the difference in context makes.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Jolly Jape, down in the Metropolis and environs, I see both the friendly back-slapping use of "mate".
It goes with pub bonhomie and all lads together among the older men. Younger men tend to use "bro". Then there's the gritted teeth, passive-aggressive mate usage that really isn't friendly. The "You mate (or matey), need to get your skates on to fix this." type instruction.

I can see where Thunderbunk is coming from.

Hereabouts, "bro" is used, but seems to be confined to a very tightly defined group - the church. I don't think I've ever heard it outside that context. Amongst the "younger men" demographic, "bruv" seems to be gaining some traction, perhaps under the influence of young men of Asian descent. But amongst most males here, it's definitely "mate" IME.

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

MT, I was responding to TB's rather blanket assertion that the use of "mate", regardless of context, is somehow passive aggressive or dickish. I was just pointing out that, in view of the prevalence of this form of address, as I say, pretty much the default around here (Manchester, UK) it is clearly not regarded so by most people, and thus TB was being extremely oversensitive.

None of which in any way implies that, at least in purgatory, you do not have the right to be addressed in a way of your own choosing.

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
MT, I was responding to TB's rather blanket assertion that the use of "mate", regardless of context, is somehow passive aggressive or dickish. I was just pointing out that, in view of the prevalence of this form of address, as I say, pretty much the default around here (Manchester, UK) it is clearly not regarded so by most people, and thus TB was being extremely oversensitive.

None of which in any way implies that, at least in purgatory, you do not have the right to be addressed in a way of your own choosing.

Jolly Jape, I didn't mean that at all. I meant that Martin's use of "mate" was just about invariably in the category I described. It is perfectly possible for most people to use it otherwise, but I have never heard Martin do so. Or if I have, it doesn't stick in the memory.

Disclaimer: this is hell, where baseless snark comes as standard.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2134 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

What's wrong with 'comrade'? Inclusive, gender-neutral and venerable...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

Nice and neutral, too! [Killing me]

--------------------

Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

Oops,should have said politically neutral​.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
is 'comrade' still the term of choice in the UK Labour Party? Did Tony Blair use it?

--------------------
Human

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Hahahahahaha.

No.

[ 04. May 2017, 10:15: Message edited by: Doc Tor ]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
is 'comrade' still the term of choice in the UK Labour Party? Did Tony Blair use it?

I'm pretty sure the trades union movement still uses it - I remember being at the TUC congress a few years back and they were talking about their "fraternal comrades" in Cuba. Dunno why comrades can't be sororal.

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 621 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I only see Labour members virutally now, but comrade is pretty standard, at least in the Labour International group.
Posts: 3266 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely still used in the Australian Labor Party.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18052 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Definitely still used in the Australian Labor Party.

Many users of the alternative trm "Maaaate" have either been in gaol or now are.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 6724 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

[Killing me]

--------------------
Human

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

I plead guilty to all charges.

What restorative justice do you require mousethief?

--------------------
Love wins

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016