homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Not again (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Not again
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got no reason to think that the police response wasn't appropriate, I'm really talking about the optics. And the optics are that if you happen to be poor, black and/or Muslim when terrible things happen you don't really matter.

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile, of course, we'll be expecting Justin Welby to disown the (likely) white extremist and apologise for him. Pretty sure that's not going to happen.

--------------------
arse

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm so sorry this happened.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please, can't everybody just stop fucking killing other people?

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not clear whether the chap who died was actually killed by the van driver - it seems he had collapsed, was being given first aid, but subsequently died.

It may also be that the van driver is mentally ill, operating on his own, though that makes the incident no less of a 'terrorist attack'.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently, police were close to the scene and some officers were present fairly quickly. Reinforcements arrived within about 5 minutes or so. Yes, the crowd overpowered the alleged attacker and handed him over to the policrn. The police have praised them for their 'restraint under the circumstances.'

This is a live investigation so I imagine the usual caveats apply.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
Meanwhile, of course, we'll be expecting Justin Welby to disown the (likely) white extremist and apologise for him. Pretty sure that's not going to happen.

From the Archbishop:
quote:
The freedom to worship without fear is a right we cherish as a nation and was won at great human cost over many years.

The appalling attack on Muslims in Finsbury Park is an attack on us all and on the culture and values of our country.

At a time when we are all grieving the loss of so many precious people in London and Manchester, this brutal attack can only compound the trauma. Violence only begets more violence - it serves only the interests of those who would terrorise others.

This wanton and cruel act can produce no good and cannot be justified or excused. In exactly the same way as previous recent attacks it is a crime against God and against humanity.

[Votive]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

Not remotely an apology.

Fair play to the ABoC, but Christian leaders are never expected to immediately disown and condemn terrorists in the way that Muslim leaders are.

--------------------
arse

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

It may also be that the van driver is mentally ill, operating on his own, though that makes the incident no less of a 'terrorist attack'.

IJ

I do not subscribe to the view that in the medical sense the people behind Manchester Arena and London Bridge were mentally ill. I, therefore, do not subscribe to the view that the individual behind the Finsbury Park attack was mentally ill. To label them as having mental health problems stigmatises people with real mental health problems.

I would have thought you knew better.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WTF?

I didn't say the van driver has mental health problems, I only suggested that he might , and that that might go some way to explaining what he did, if he turns out to be a 'lone wolf'. At present we just don't know his motives, state of mind, or whatever.

I certainly did not suggest that 'all' terrorists are mentally ill - that is clearly not the case.

And, FYI, I have suffered mental health issues myself in the past.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And now someone has driven a car into a police van two minutes round the corner from the office...

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

....which the police appear to have dealt with very quickly:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40332532

IJ

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Not remotely an apology.

Am I being dumb, but what does the ABoC need to apologise for?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Do we know the perpetrator was a Christian?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:

That's rather an interesting question. The context for anybody brown-skinned is to have significant assumptions about them being muslim - as opposed to, say, Sikh, or whatever. Digging deeper into the meta - why does it even matter? He can claim whatever religion he might like; would that change 99.99% of humanity's correct repudiation of his actions?

ETA: mssr. fromage's point basically still stands.

[ 19. June 2017, 19:09: Message edited by: RooK ]

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Am I being dumb, but what does the ABoC need to apologise for?

Every time there is a terrorist incident what is in some way connected to Islam, almost every Muslim leader is expected to disown and basically apologise for it. Mosques are seen to be hotbeds of radicalism (even mosques that are totally unrelated to the extremist), programmes are set up to help them identify and deradicalise people, governments and other agencies put them under various kinds of official pressure.

But isn't it funny that when there is a white guy doing the terrorising, suddenly everyone says how awful it is, but nobody blinks when Christians question whether this guy claimed to be a Christian and there is no sense that Christian leaders are expected to talk as if these elements are parts of their religion that they're supposed to disown and apologise for.

--------------------
arse

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which still doesn't answer what he needs to apologise for.

It just says that there's pressure on others to apologise for things they don't need to apologise for. Besides which, I'm not aware of any call for muslim leaders to apologise - to condemn the actions, to root out the minority who are advocating criminal acts etc, certainly. But, apologise?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

I don't think he does need to apologise. I don't think Muslim leaders constantly need to apologise.

The different standards that different religious leaders are expected to meet is astounding.

--------------------
arse

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Some Muslim terrorists shout out the name of Allah as they set off the bomb, or whatever, leaving no doubt as to their religion.

Mr. Osborne does not appear to have shouted out 'I'm a communicant member of the Church of England, and I want to kill all Muslims', so WTF does +Justin have to do with it? If Osborne had self-identified as Christian, well, mr. cheesy might have a point.

IJ

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Oops - x-posted with mr. cheesy.

ISWYM. Fair comment.

IJ

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Some Muslim terrorists shout out the name of Allah as they set off the bomb, or whatever, leaving no doubt as to their religion.

Mr. Osborne does not appear to have shouted out 'I'm a communicant member of the Church of England, and I want to kill all Muslims', so WTF does +Justin have to do with it? If Osborne had self-identified as Christian, well, mr. cheesy might have a point.

IJ

At least he didn't yell out "Cry God for Harry, England, and Saint George!"

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am very shocked by this incident as, although I don't know him, this man only lives about a mile from me.

There are two interesting points here.
1. There's no Mosque in this part of Cardiff and only a few Muslims (as ever, most are in the inner city). Indeed, just a couple of weeks ago I approached by a Muslim gentleman about the possibility of hiring a room in our church for prayer. However I had to explain that, apart from any other considerations, there was no way that we could offer them exclusive use of any space.

2. Why did the man hire a van from a company 15 miles away?

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or 'Cymru am Byth!' as he was from Cardiff ...

Or Weston Super Mare originally.

It remains to be seen whether he was linked with any racist groups etc and I feel sorry for the Pontyclun van hire firm - they are a respected and reputable company who must be horrified that someone has hired one of their vans for such a purpose. But bloody hell fire ... what was the guy thinking?

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

15 miles from Pentwyn or 150 miles from London?

I can only speculate that it's simply because it's a well known van hire company in that part of South Wales.

Or perhaps he thought it'd be easier to trace him had he used a van hire company closer to where he lived.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I wondered that ... but he must have given ID to hire the van, and the company's name is plastered all over it! Even Inspector Clouseau would have found it easy to track him down.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The reports of his behaviour after he got out of the van suggest he was trying to provoke bystanders to kill him, if he intended to die he may not have cared about the risk of being arrested.

I am going to make a wild guess, his life was falling apart and he'd recently left his wife - probably over domestic violence issues.

I note this comment from someone who knew him, courtesy of the metro:

"He had lived on the estate for a few years. He's always been a complete cunt, but this was really surprising."

[ 20. June 2017, 07:11: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

According to the "Daily Mirror" (I hope I can quote this):

Shocked neighbours said he had recently been kicked out by his girlfriend — and was forced to live in a tent.

Others claim that he was ejected from the town’s Hollybush pub on Saturday night for drunkenly cursing Muslims.

A neighbour said that he had previously moved out of the address, but had been living back with his partner and children there over the “past couple of months”. The man’s partner added: “He is always arguing in the street with his missus. They usually shout and swear at each other".

How true this is we don't, of course, know.

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

I wonder if he was actually drunk and that driving into a crowd of Muslims was a spur of the moment decision. It seems an incredible amount of effort to go to hiring a van and driving hours only to do limited damage outside a London mosque.

--------------------
arse

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
WTF?

I didn't say the van driver has mental health problems, I only suggested that he might , and that that might go some way to explaining what he did, if he turns out to be a 'lone wolf'. At present we just don't know his motives, state of mind, or whatever.

and the difference is?

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:

That's rather an interesting question. The context for anybody brown-skinned is to have significant assumptions about them being muslim - as opposed to, say, Sikh, or whatever. Digging deeper into the meta - why does it even matter? He can claim whatever religion he might like; would that change 99.99% of humanity's correct repudiation of his actions?

ETA: mssr. fromage's point basically still stands.

No, it doesn't change the need for all humanity to deplore his action. I was just wondering why Justin Welby was being particularly singled out to bear that burden - unless it's in the context of him being a civic (through being de facto head of the Established Church) as opposed to being a religious leader; as others have pointed out, it's not as if the perp shouted "I subscribe to the 39 Articles, the Lambeth Quadrilateral and Book of Common Prayer!"

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I wonder if he was actually drunk and that driving into a crowd of Muslims was a spur of the moment decision. It seems an incredible amount of effort to go to hiring a van and driving hours only to do limited damage outside a London mosque.

He's clearly the white nationalist version of the half-wits who tried to damage an airport and only succeeded in setting light to themselves.

I'm guessing he went after the Mosque at Finsbury Park because he'd heard of it on the telly.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016