homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » The logical conclusion of Islamophobia

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The logical conclusion of Islamophobia
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Three men attempting to intervene when a known white supremacist was threatening two young women were brutally attacked. Two of them are dead. One is still in hospital. As far as I know, Trump has had nothing to say about this.
This happened in the US - but of course Islamophobia is not unique to that country. Here in Oz, the despicable far right discourse of Pauline Hanson will lead inevitably to this kind of thing happening.
I think the logical end of Islamophobia, as it continues to be stoked by the self interest of "leaders" like Trump, Hanson, Le Pen, UKIP etc., is probably more drastic than these kind of isolated incidents. Sometimes it seems like we are heading in the direction of the 1930s at breakneck pace.
I'm not angry, just very sad and afraid. I posted this here because I thought those who may want to respond might do so hellishly.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sometimes think that the real threat to American Democracy, and therefore the world, are American born right-wing extremists. I was worried about what they might do if Trump lost the election, and now I'm worried about what they might do if he doesn't serve out his full term.

What I find most concerning is the disconnection from reality that allows things like the lie that Sandy Hook didn't happen and the lie that Obama was not entitled to be President to fester and be believed by people you would otherwise think are perfectly reasonable. You can already see the line that will be run if the various Russian inquiries result in Trump's impeachment. It will be all about the deep state martyring him.

How long, if Trump is impeached or has a stroke or is incapacitated in some way until we have another siege situation involving the right, or an attack upon federal institutions like the Oklahoma Bombing all those years ago.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dan Rather stated this better than I could.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
As far as I know, Trump has had nothing to say about this.

He took his time, but he (recently) did.

Still: I share your fears.

[ 29. May 2017, 19:12: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
As far as I know, Trump has had nothing to say about this.

(Re. the last line in the article): He doesn't need to face hate crime charges. He needs to face terrorism charges.

[ 29. May 2017, 19:27: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed mousethief. One of your irregular verbs?

A white person committed hate crime.
A brown person committed a terrorist act.

Language, and crime, should be equal; and the fact it is not plays into community fears and stereotypes.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile, over in the UK, the new UKipper leader, Paul Nutty, successor to Nigel Garbage, appears to be in favour of internment, torture, and the death penalty (with perhaps himself as executioner):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40086126

What a charmer.

Not.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Indeed mousethief. One of your irregular verbs?

A white person committed hate crime.
A brown person committed a terrorist act.

That would not be one of my verbs. I don't think terrorism should be defined by skin color, unlike the GOP. It's one of their verbs perhaps. Although they might not even use the term "hate crime." One tired and frightened white boy made a bad choice. If they acknowledge it at all -- Sandy Hook is already being denied and held up as "fake news" by the far right.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Apologies...did not mean to attribute it to you. Meant to say perhaps it was an irregular verb as per others you have posted in times past. Sorry again.

Re Sandy Hook: I've just lost the will to live. That appalls me...and shocks me.

[ 29. May 2017, 20:11: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Meanwhile, over in the UK, the new UKipper leader, Paul Nutty, successor to Nigel Garbage, appears to be in favour of internment, torture, and the death penalty (with perhaps himself as executioner):

One of his fellow senior UKIP members has already stated support for the death penalty for suicide bombers.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

Sounds about their level of IQ...

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40086126

What a charmer.

Not.

IJ

Because that worked so well the last time we tried it.

Fucking idiot.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

More accurately, a tweet came from the President's official Twitter account. Whether or not the device it originated from had tiny, orange stains on it is another matter.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Apologies...did not mean to attribute it to you. Meant to say perhaps it was an irregular verb as per others you have posted in times past. Sorry again.

Re Sandy Hook: I've just lost the will to live. That appalls me...and shocks me.

The concept of these irregular verbs originated with Bernard Woolley, to the best of my knowledge - "I give confidential press briefings, you leak, he has just been prosecuted under the Official Secrets Act"

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016