homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Village Council orders rape as punishment

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Village Council orders rape as punishment
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BBC News

These people can fuck off all the way to hell, where they can rot.

[ 27. July 2017, 11:53: Message edited by: The Phantom Flan Flinger ]

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read the headline on-line, but didn't go on to read the article because I wanted to throw up.

I had read of that kind of retaliation as a judicial sentence before ( or maybe it was an old article that had been resurrected) - I hope so, once is more than enough.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I later read that it was the two families themselves acting as the village council who came up with this happy compromise to even the score. What lovely families! One son rapes the daughter of another. That victim's family demands tit-for-tat: your daughter and sister gets it. The rapist's family acquiesces. Fair nuff. Hurrah for justice! [Projectile]

Thank God the Pakistani government has made some efforts to catch up on violence against women. Someone felt empowered to report the crimes which is more than would have happened a few years ago. And the government has set up hotlines and some shelters. A drop in the bucket and probably far out of reach to rural victims. But it's a beginning.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
I later read that it was the two families themselves acting as the village council who came up with this happy compromise to even the score.

Some kind of agreed tit-for-tat has a certain amount of history as a means of preventing or ending blood feuds between families in many places.

It's not, of course, compatible with a modern sense of justice.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like the Code of Hamurabi, reflected in Leviticus by its forbidding vengeance of relatives.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
I later read that it was the two families themselves acting as the village council who came up with this happy compromise to even the score.

Some kind of agreed tit-for-tat has a certain amount of history...
You are, of course, right. But after I read the article referred to in the OP (a couple of days ago), and wandered off, shocked and sickened, to reflect some more as I did my usual chores, I couldn't help thinking that a better piece of justice would be to have the rapist gang-raped - if you're going to go in for the eye for an eye sort of thing.

Then it occurred to me that the problem here is my disordered western system of thinking, in which females are actual human beings, who can be offended against, and suffer.

When you view the original crime as primarily a property crime, a incident of vandalism committed by a male from group B, upon an object owned by [men, group A], then a punishment which involves allowing [men, group A] to go ahead and vandalise an object owned by [men, group B], can actually be argued to be a balanced approach. Which is even more horrifying than what actually happened.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

Some kind of agreed tit-for-tat has a certain amount of history as a means of preventing or ending blood feuds between families in many places.

It's not, of course, compatible with a modern sense of justice.

The words "a modern sense of" are completely redundant in that sentence.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016