homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Get a grip Gamaliel

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Get a grip Gamaliel
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good idea to bow out, shows great maturity.

Except you have absolutely zero self control

Do you know how stupid this looks? And if that wasn't enough there's the thousands of words, lazy writing and obsequious scraping about saying too much and about to leave every time.

Get a grip.

So that's all I wanted to say, now I'll bow out. You either get it or you don't.

[ 01. August 2017, 18:34: Message edited by: mdijon ]

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let he who has never said "I am done here!" and then said "Just one more thing", cast the first stone.
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like a Hell Call to me, even though you claim it isn't.

But fair do's.

Lack of self-control. Check.

Lazy writing. Check.

Whatever else. Check.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Looks like a Hell Call to me, even though you claim it isn't.

But fair do's.

Lack of self-control. Check.

Lazy writing. Check.

Whatever else. Check.

This is the only board on which one can address the person, rather than only the topic.
Vitriol isn't a requirement, much as genteel discussion bores the hosts.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was a polite Hell Call so I responded politely.

I could change my tune but can't be arsed at the moment. Sorry to disappoint.

You want vitriol, I can do vitriol but mdijon hasn't annoyed me enough. I fact, he hasn't annoyed me at all.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Klytus, I'm bored.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cue the usual idiots complaining that this isn't a very good Hell call, as if Hell exists not to work out personal squabbles but to entertain them. In 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 ....

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It was a polite Hell Call so I responded politely.

I could change my tune but can't be arsed at the moment. Sorry to disappoint.

You want vitriol, I can do vitriol but mdijon hasn't annoyed me enough. I fact, he hasn't annoyed me at all.

Winds up Clue Batᵗᵐ
Who the fucking Hell are you channelling right now? Find someone else, that one is an idiot.
I'm not asking for vitriol.

I was implying that mdijon's post is not Hellish, but this is the only place to put it.
It was, at most, Heckish.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
I was implying that mdijon's post is not Hellish, but this is the only place to put it.

If it's a personal comment, it is by definition hellish.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Let he who has never said "I am done here!" and then said "Just one more thing", cast the first stone.

From the links in the OP it looks like this is one of those things to be forgiven seven times -- let's just hope he doesn't push it up to seventy times seven!
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, if you do it once, well maybe that's just stupid. Doing it twice or more, particularly when others point out that you are doing it, together with long screeds of text basically just repeating what you've already said is getting annoying.

I'm not sure what you think these long posts achieve, Gam. I appreciate that the thread is circular and participants seem to be saying the same things in different ways - but what point is there in regurgitating your thoughts in such long-winded ways?

Don't you have something else to do? Aren't there other threads that pique your interest?

Seriously mate, distill your thoughts down to a couple of paragraphs and you might find other people find it easier to respond to them.

--------------------
arse

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The simple lesson here is this -

Never say 'I am done here' because you know you never are.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Yes, it was heckish

Yes, I was stupid.

Yes, mr cheesy, you are right. I feel embarrassed.

I did have plenty to do but was avoiding doing them.

I will try to do better. Use shorter sentences.

Paragraphs.

Better still, STFU unless I have something new or original to say. That will cut my post count dramatically if not completely.

I know that acknowledging the validity of a Hell Call - or a Heck Call - isn't interesting and can also be bloody annoying in itself.

Here I stand. I can do no other.

Although I could fuck off and get on with what I am supposed to be doing.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

If it's a personal comment, it is by definition hellish.
Only because the Ship has refused my proposal of a Heck board. Alright, so good points were made that it likely wouldn't work, but still.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

There, there.

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to work an early morning cleaning job. Sometimes I would wake up at 3am, look at the clock, and experience a few seconds of bliss knowing I could roll over and fall asleep again (the alarm would ring at the positively luxurious time of 430am).
It is a similar experience when I see Gamaliel's posts - I feel grateful I can scroll past without reading them.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only on the ship would people want boards for different levels of personal attack.

I admit there are times when a mild bit of vitriol against a slightly irksome poster feels as if it might be worth posting but in Hell, it would look as lame as a eunuch's penis. However, can you imagine trying to host such a board? It would get to the point where we are disputing the precise level of aggravation caused by the use of barnacles instead of bobsleighs.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
Only on the ship would people want boards for different levels of personal attack.

That's got me thinking. Spin-off thread in Heaven for the Ship's own version of Dante.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Apparently, eunuch's can get hard-ons so Jengie Jon's uncharacteristically naughty analogy doesn't ... ahem ... stand-up.

Sipech's idea of concentric rings of graduated Hellfire and torment sounds like fun but it would surely be insufferably Hellish for Hosts to manage.

Yes, there are degrees and shades of offence and of being a jerk.

But how many circles of Hell do we actually need?

In this instance, I'm inclined to be reductionist and Protestant about all this. Just in or out.

But hey, what do I know?

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sipech's idea of concentric rings of graduated Hellfire and torment sounds like fun but it would surely be insufferably Hellish for Hosts to manage.

You would forever be in the same circle, consisting solely of yourself, "going round the block a few times"... and round, and round, and round, and round, and back, again, and again, and again, and again ... thus seeing, as you believe, all sides of every issue, again, and again, and again...

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:

My idea for Heck was not about any sort of attack. It was to directly address a person without attack in a larger forum than a PM.

quote:
However, can you imagine trying to host such a board?

And that is why it the suggestion never was adopted. Nightmare to host, no precise definition between addressing a person and an attack...

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hell is other people.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. Yes, it is.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:

You would forever be in the same circle, consisting solely of yourself, "going round the block a few times"... and round, and round, and round, and round, and back, again, and again, and again, and again ... thus seeing, as you believe, all sides of every issue, again, and again, and again...
Now that does smart.

[Hot and Hormonal]

Is there a self-flagellation smilie?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

If you find one, wash your hands after using it.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

[Yipee]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Or ask a eunuch to wield it.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yes

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Now that does smart.

Yes. Strangely, one of the harshest things I've read here. Which is my perception, not the poster's intent. And I'm wondering why that is so (that it seems so harsh) - maybe because it's about self-delusion and I'm wondering how much it applies to me.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought that everyone basically repeats the same thing over and over again. Admittedly, sometimes people do have a paradigm shift, but then they find another set of statements to repeat over and over again. I think I have switched paradigms several times, only to find myself back with an old familiar one. The snake bites its own tail, eh?

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Actually, there have been a fair few reconciliations, accommodations, and changes of heart down here in Hell over the years.

Such thoughts warms what is left of my shrivelled, blackened soul.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Basically inaccurate. Gamaliel is basically fairly consistent on the things he mostly posts about and if he is at fault it is because he tries to find some middle ground between different viewpoints.

If he was in some kind of rip in the fabric of space-time (or whatever the "proper term" is for this kind of bollocks), it is very unlikely that he'd end up disagreeing with himself.

I absolutely don't believe he posts because he likes the sound of his own voice, unlike some. I absolutely don't believe he posts because he feels that he is theologically superior, unlike some.

I think he is bored, he is frustrated with his lot and he is stimulated by other posters - and this is one of the few places in his life where people listen when he writes something. Just like many of the rest of us.

--------------------
arse

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Mr cheesy, you see into my soul.

[Overused]

Seriously, I have noticed that I post more when I want respite from tedious tasks. One of my regular freelance jobs falls into that category.

Also, I find my immediate church circle, through no fault of its own, uncongenial. No-one will listen to me there. So I sound off here.

There are other things I could say but won't at the risk of ending up in the confessional or the psychiatrist's chair or both.

But thanks. That was helpful. So was Eutychus's scarily bleak and smarting comment - even though it probably wasn't intended maliciously.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Ooh you bad sod!

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016