homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Shit Britain (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Shit Britain
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
We can moan and complain until we're blue in the face. How about trying to make a difference in some way? However small?

Evil triumphs when good people do nothing.

We don't need small changes. We need to proscribe the EDL and revoke Article 50. We need to get rid of this fuck-awful government, break up the hereditary estates, set a metric fucktonne of tax inspectors on the rich and build a couple of million houses.

Making a nice cake for the neighbours is pissing in the wind. Fiddling while Rome burns. Whatever metaphor you want.

--------------------
Get your arse to Mars

Posts: 8652 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
It's not even logical. Fallon says that the British public voted to leave the EU. OK, but that is not the same thing as stopping freedom of movement, or restricting foreigners coming here to work.

What is bizarre is that currently, unemployment is very low, yet immigration is supposed to take away jobs? Eh? Is this illiterate, or is my name Nelly the Nun?

Well, it is illiterate in economic terms, but the govt has to be seen to be fulfilling its quota of racist nonsense.

That's WHY they voted to leave the EU. "It's my country and I'll trash it if I want."

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 16354 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
I saw the interviews with people who voted for Brexit and then were shocked and sorry that Leave won,

I have absolutely no sympathy at all with people who voted for something, and were then surprised when they got it.

That goes for Brexit voters, Labour MPs who nominated Mr. Corbyn because "they thought someone on the left should be represented" so it looks better when their candidate wins, Trump voters who are shocked when Trump behaves the way he behaved on the campaign trail, and so on.

If you vote for the leopards-eating-people party, you have no grounds for surprise or complaint when a leopard shows up at your front door.

Posts: 4676 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
People are looking for something, anything, an alternative. So long as it isn't more of the same. Corbyn tapped into the self-same phenomenon at the last Election and even surprised himself.
It's a movement to nowhere, and as time goes on it becomes more and more apparent that none of it matters that much anyway. There are forces at work on the Planet that supersede all this crap.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3012 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
But the wholesale abdication of its responsibilities by our political leadership after 23 June 2016 is what finally convinced me that we are finished as a nation.

And yet to many others, the fact that a government has not only asked the people what they want (which would have been remarkable enough in itself) but actually done what the people said is a breath of fresh air.
To people who don't understand government. Referenda and 'direct democracy' are very popular with first year Politics undergraduates. Then they learn a bit about the subject.
Oh, and Mr Cheesy, I moved here to wales from England 16 years ago. I'm not some whingeing Valleys boy who gets homesick on his honeymoon and has to go back to his Mam's. Unfortunately ageing parents keep me in the UK - that and the fact that, through my own fault, I haven't done well enough in my career to build the kind of record that would make me attractive to an overseas employer. If it weren't for those two things I would be actively looking to leave.

[ 08. September 2017, 21:14: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6421 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're still whining about how shit it is but not proposing to do anything about it.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17426 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
It's my country too and I want it back

Thanks CK, That's brilliant. I wish someone here would do a NZ version.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 9963 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
You're still whining about how shit it is but not proposing to do anything about it.

What can I bloody do about it, apart from vote for the people I think are less disastrous than others, and tell everybody what I think is wrong with it? Next thing you'll be getting all Damien Green and saying 'you may not like where we are going but you have to make it work'.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Recognising the 'shit' aspect of something is surely part of the road towards the possibility of changing it? It would undoubtedly effect your vote, for instance. It may also make you more vocal to local MP's and more responsive to ventures which attempt to bring communities together which may be on a polarising trajectory. Just to mention but a few things.

The thing is, looking in from the outside, it is extremely worrying. I live in Ireland, but I have family and friends in the UK. Some of my newest neighbours (and I mean that quite literally rather than in the usual Irish sense of everyone being your neighbour) are from the UK and have left because they genuinely fear what's coming. Maybe I have a completely skewed view of it all due to this, but I've always said that the EU was more than economics. It amazes me that people front he UK would consider coming to us - we are essentially a bit of a backwater on the edge of Europe and no great shining light in the EU either. But having that membership provides a certain failsafe, not foolproof certainly, but it's there. It feels a little like someone took the brakes away from the UK and now all the most extreme elements are vying for their slice of the pie, but the extreme elements are previous establishment figures and parties. That makes it deeply troubling.

I remember some time ago reading an article in a newspaper - I think it was the London Times - suggesting, well before the Brexit thing came up, that England was heading down the rabbit hole of voting for it's own independence despite already having it. It's a very curious set of circumstances where UK politics suddenly has more in common with Sinn Fein (Ourselves Alone) than with any other political entity of the UK's past. I have sympathy with those who have 'done a runner' so to speak. If politics turned the same direction here I think I would want to stay to see if I could make a difference as a dissenting voice, but the temptation to shake the dust of my feet and go would be very strong.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5159 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What can I bloody do about it, apart from vote for the people I think are less disastrous than others, and tell everybody what I think is wrong with it?

I don't know - how about going on a bulletin board to air your frustrations about how shit it all is and how anyone in their right mind would be planning to leave the country.

quote:
Next thing you'll be getting all Damien Green and saying 'you may not like where we are going but you have to make it work'.
Oh just fuck off already. If you can't see that opposing something is different to capitulating to it, then you are dumber than you already appear to be.

[ 09. September 2017, 12:07: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
overheard on a Welsh bus-stop: Jesus don't care about you, he's only interested in your soul

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Fuck off yourself, you self-righteous prick.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Fuck off yourself, you self-righteous prick.

Oh right, yeah, I'm obviously being self-righteous when you're the one saying that this country is so shit that the only thing left to do is to depart.

All I'm asking is that you STFU and get on with doing what you said is the only thing left to do.

--------------------
overheard on a Welsh bus-stop: Jesus don't care about you, he's only interested in your soul

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

You're always being self-righteous- the most consistently disagreeable and pompous person on the Ship. So you fuck off your way and I'll fuck off mine.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
You're always being self-righteous- the most consistently disagreeable and pompous person on the Ship. So you fuck off your way and I'll fuck off mine.

Good. Bye then.

--------------------

Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meeow!

--------------------
"Line dancing is as sinful as any other type of dancing, with its sexual gestures and touching. It is an incitement to lust."
Rev Dr Ian Paisley

Posts: 4215 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm...perhaps fish should think twice about calling for cats...
[Biased]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17561 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But if you're a dog, beware. Crocodiles have learnt to bark.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 16354 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016